AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   4G TL (2009-2014) (https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-2009-2014-123/)
-   -   Ceramic vs non-ceramic tints and tinting over the black dots (https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-2009-2014-123/ceramic-vs-non-ceramic-tints-tinting-over-black-dots-784143/)

ll_22 07-18-2010 12:55 PM

Ceramic vs non-ceramic tints and tinting over the black dots

with the summer here I've decided I need to get some tints finally. I know people are Huper Optik fans but I don't have that option nearby in NoCal :(
So I'm hoping to get some opinions on the following:

I've seen one shop use Geoshield ceramic tints, how are they?

What about Suntek and 3M carbon non-ceramic tints, are they decent?

One shop they can tint over the black dots to avoid the visual defect at the edges of the windows after tints, one shop claims that is impossible; opinions?

Also California law is 70% for front windows which is technically the OEM windows already. Anyone have experience in what level of additional tinting one can safely get away with?

Thanks folks!

KeithL 07-18-2010 05:09 PM

All my cars have had the windes tinted edge to edge. On some if you look close you can see the very small gap around the edges of the dots, but you have to get on top of the window to see that. I have what is supposed to be 3M Ceramic in my new M37, really like the look.

chaiwala 07-18-2010 05:43 PM

I have used 3M, Suntek(same as 3M), Llumar, and Huper Optik. I have had the best results with Llumar tint. It is the blackest black you can get bar none. I have done temp tests with both Llumar and Huper and Llumar has always been the best at heat dissipation. I know on paper Huper is supposed to be better but in real life testing, Llumar has done a better job and also looks better than Huper Optik. Llumar is to tint as Pioneer Elite/Kuro's are to plasma TV's.

JayR04 07-19-2010 02:12 PM

70% is the old law. You can no longer have tint on the front side windows. If it is a must then maybe you could try the silver 35% instead of black tint. Also, I've heard ceramic tint can interfere with the TPMS and the FM/AM radio.

JayR04 07-19-2010 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by JayR04 (Post 12186994)
70% is the old law. You can no longer have tint on the front side windows. If it is a must then maybe you could try the silver 35% instead of black tint. Also, I've heard ceramic tint can interfere with the TPMS and the FM/AM radio.

nvm I meant metallic tint interferes

Biggie_B 06-12-2019 08:25 PM

Reviving a dead thread to ask...

....what block dots is the poster referring to?

sockpuppet 06-13-2019 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Biggie_B (Post 16439113)

My guess is he's referring to the area around the rearview mirror (which, if I remember correctly, is actually the opposite of black dots....I believe it's a blacked out space with dots cut away...so "clear" dots on a black surface).

Biggie_B 06-13-2019 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Biggie_B (Post 16439113)

Also, can anyone comment on Johnson Film?

Lastly, how much extra does ceramic film cost for all windows except the windshield, from your experience?