Car buying advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 05:32 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car buying advice

I was wondering if I should purchase a 2010 TL that has 167k miles for about 7300. I will be using it for uber and work. I have to have a 2010 to be able to make airport pickups where I live. Otherwise I would of bought the 07-08 TL.
Old 10-09-2017, 06:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 109 Posts
Originally Posted by Jay8523
I was wondering if I should purchase a 2010 TL that has 167k miles for about 7300. I will be using it for uber and work. I have to have a 2010 to be able to make airport pickups where I live. Otherwise I would of bought the 07-08 TL.
My two cents: That kind of service is asking a lot from a 167K car, think struts,suspension, timing belt! Such a car would be expensive to operate: (Fuel-Maintenance-tires etc.) You may want to consider a Four cylinder Honda Accord, or a four cylinder Toyota Camry. both of which have timing chains and not belts for 2010, and should be significantly less costly, operation wise. If making extra money, was my main goal, I would not pick this type car to do it with, unless someone gave me the car for free.
Old 10-10-2017, 11:24 AM
Drifting

Received 849 Likes on 605 Posts
^ Agreed, to an extent anyways. I put 70K miles on my 2012 TL doing Uber and Lyft over the last year. Granted, I made enough to pay it off but still, @ 25mpg with premium fuel, it wasn't the most economical. The greatest benefit is that you'll likely enjoy driving much more with a car like the TL than a more economical vehicle without the amenities. When I was unemployed I could drive 10-12 hours a day without batting an eye with comfortable seats, a good stereo and the sportiness that comes with a car with nearly 300hp. If I was driving a Nissan Versa or Toyota Prius I'd probably go crazy after a couple hours. For me, the fact that I could work longer more than offset the added expense.

However, it's obviously not just gas but longer term repairs. There's a good chance that you may have to replace or repair components that frankjnjr mentioned. At that mileage, suspension components and bushings will start to wear, causing noise and decreased handling (or even a safety issue if you let them go too long). Hopefully the timing belt has been changed already but yeah, that's there too.

With me, Uber and Lyft are as much fun as they are a source of extra income so I'm happy putting on about 600 miles a week driving on the weekends part time now that I have a job again :P. That usually makes me about $250-$300 after gas. And I do all my own work (just changed my timing belt) so cost of operation is lower. You'll just want to consider all the variables including the subjective preference of a more economical vehicle vs. a luxury car before buying.
Old 10-10-2017, 11:40 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,580 Likes on 6,628 Posts
Get a Prius for Uber