Canadian Driver Test Drive: 2009 Acura TL FWD

Old 02-10-2009, 11:09 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Canadian Driver Test Drive: 2009 Acura TL FWD

February 6, 2009
Review and photos by Jil McIntosh

2009 Acura TL FWD.

Oshawa, Ontario - For 2009, Acura has completely redesigned its TL sedan, giving it all-wheel drive and a 305-horsepower, 3.7-litre V6 engine that’s the strongest in the nameplate’s stable. But while that’s the model that’s getting all the attention, there’s a second TL in the line-up – my tester, the 3.5-litre TL in front-wheel drive.

While it may not have the wow factor of the top-line’s Super Handling All-Wheel Drive, or SH-AWD – which generally does live up to its name, especially on twisty roads – its CA$39,990 base price is CA$4,500 under the SH-AWD model, which is a chunk of change no matter how you look at it.

Despite the price difference, the overall packages are fairly well-matched. Both drivelines use a five-speed automatic transmission, and while both prefer premium fuel, the front-wheel-only system naturally gets slightly better fuel mileage – against the published figures of 11.6 L/100 km in the city and 7.5 on the highway, I averaged 11.1 L/100 km. Both contain the usual number of premium features, including xenon headlamps, sunroof, automatic climate control, six-CD stereo and active head restraints; the only items missing from the FWD version that you get on the SH-AWD are 18-inch wheels to the front-wheel’s 17-inchers, plus hill start assist, headlight washers, quad tailpipes, and a sportier-trimmed steering wheel. The SH-AWD also has more of a performance-tuned suspension.

My tester was further optioned with a Technology Package, which is the same on both models, at an extra CA$3,500; it adds a rearview camera, navigation system, pushbutton start, perforated leather seats, and GPS-linked climate control. That last little number figures out where the sun is in the sky, and adjusts the vent airflow to compensate for one side of the car getting more sunlight through the windows than the other. Just how did we survive without all this, I wonder?

2009 Acura TL FWD.

The front-wheel TL’s 3.5-litre produces 280 horsepower and 254 lb-ft of torque, and if that pales on paper beside the 3.7-litre’s 305 horsepower and 275 lb-ft, it certainly doesn’t feel wanting once you’re on the road. I like the smaller engine very much, with its quick response, linear throttle, and a transmission that shifts smoothly and keeps the engine nicely in its powerband, even if it’s only got five cogs in a world that’s increasingly moving to six. It doesn’t quite have the handling or feedback of a true sports sedan, but steering response is very good nevertheless. Having driven both models, I also find the regular TL’s lighter weight – a 114-kg difference – gives it a more nimble feel. And realistically, given that most drivers don’t spend their days carving out switchbacks, the TL works very well for the average commuter who spends much of his time in traffic, but likes to push the pedal when the road finally opens up. The brakes are also very good, bringing the car down from speed quickly and accurately, but without grabbing.

Larger than the 2008 model it replaces, both inside and out, the TL is a very comfortable car, with supportive seats and more legroom this time around. The back seat doesn’t fold, but the trunk holds 371 litres, and there’s a locking pass-through. I could definitely see packing this car full of luggage and taking it on a long-distance trip, and getting out at the other end with my spine still exactly where it’s meant to be.

My tester came with an “Ivory” interior, but I’d rather go for the all-black version; not only is the contrast a bit much between the dark upper pad and the lighter lower dash, but beige plastic simply looks cheap, no matter who makes it. Everything’s put together very well, but overall, it’s just far too complicated. The designers at Acura love their buttons and dials, and the TL has plenty of them, especially with the Technology Package. There’s simply too much time taken away from the road when looking for a control. And while every button is backlit, which every button should be on every vehicle, the sheer number of them means that at night, it feels like you’re piloting a jumbo jet.

There’s no question that the exterior styling is polarizing, and while I’ve always maintained that bold is better than bland, I’m not entirely sold on the squid-beak grille here. (The TL was designed in California, by the way, and is built in Ohio.) I’ve come to accept it on the MDX, but I think it overpowers the TL, especially when that big hunk of front chrome is in such contrast to my tester’s black paint. The sharp-creased origami styling continues on the trunk, with a prominent spoiler and chrome strip. I do like the side view, though, with the muscular arches over the wheels and the chrome surround on the windows.

2009 Acura TL FWD.

While Acura is pointing the SH-AWD version at several rear- or all-wheel competitors, the front-wheel TL can take on some titans of its own. The Acura has more horsepower and a lower starting MSRP than the Audi A4 2.0T or the Saab 9-5, and while the Volvo S60 and Lincoln MKZ cost less, their prices don’t include the Acura’s sunroof, xenon headlamps or six-disc stereo. Closest in the arch-rival department is the Lexus ES 350, which has 272 horses to the Acura’s 280, and power-adjustable steering wheel and auto-dimming exterior mirrors missing on the TL, for a $40 difference in the Lexus’ favour, although it doesn’t have xenon headlamps.

Of course, the only way to know for sure is to drive one, but I’m guessing that when you get to the dealership, it’ll be the SH-AWD version that catches your eye. By all means, take it out and see just what it can do around corners. But do yourself a favour, and give its little brother a spin, too. It may not be getting all the attention, but it can certainly hold its own.

Pricing: 2009 Acura TL
Base price: CA$39,990
Options: CA$5,492 (Technology Package, CA$3,500; winter tires, CA$1,992)

A/C tax: CA$100
Freight: CA$1,825
Price as tested: CA$47,407

Jil McIntosh is a freelance writer, a member of the Automobile Journalists Association of Canada (AJAC) and Assistant Editor for CanadianDriver.com

Source: http://www.canadiandriver.com/2009/0...ura-tl-fwd.htm

© 1999-2009, CanadianDriver Communications Inc., all rights reserved

Last edited by S2000 Driver; 02-10-2009 at 11:11 PM.
Old 02-11-2009, 03:44 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Both contain the usual number of premium features, including xenon headlamps, sunroof, automatic climate control, six-CD stereo and active head restraints;

My tester was further optioned with a Technology Package, which is the same on both models, at an extra CA$3,500; it adds a rearview camera, navigation system, pushbutton start, perforated leather seats, and GPS-linked climate control.
Oye, another review with holes in it, unless the Canadian models are different? He doesn't mention the HDD? Double racing style stitching in the AWD with fatter steering wheel, and so much more. Man, those are some beefy tires though, it kinda looks kool, but the rims bring it right back to reality.
Old 02-11-2009, 06:20 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
The Canucks get headlight washers?
Old 02-11-2009, 10:26 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by KeithL
There aren't any in his pictures...
Old 02-11-2009, 12:52 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by S2000 Driver
...the only items missing from the FWD version that you get on the SH-AWD are 18-inch wheels to the front-wheel’s 17-inchers, plus hill start assist, headlight washers, quad tailpipes, and a sportier-trimmed steering wheel. The SH-AWD also has more of a performance-tuned suspension...
Originally Posted by KeithL
Originally Posted by GearDriven
There aren't any in his pictures...
The photos are of the TL FWD model which the article states is missing headlight washers.

Last edited by S2000 Driver; 02-11-2009 at 12:55 PM.
Old 02-11-2009, 04:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

Ivory interior? Is that just on Canadian models? Are the headlight washers that big of deal, meaning does it help you actually see better? It just seems like another mechanical piece that could breakdown, I like it without?
Old 02-11-2009, 11:31 PM
Instructor

headlight washers are mostly a legal compliance...certain countries require them by law because people let their headlights get too nasty, and they refracted light into oncoming traffic....

mea culpa on not catching the part on AWD having them...

I have them on my p-car and I don't really care for them, it just means that sometimes my hood gets the fluid from them.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:37 AM
Intermediate

headlight washers are not a legal requirement in Canada
Old 02-12-2009, 02:17 PM
Burning Brakes

^ Correct...only DRLs.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:03 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,394 Likes on 699 Posts
Post Another Canadian Review

The weather on this day was undeniably frightful, but after a few hours of spirited driving at the wheel of the 2009 Acura TL, the fire inside me was certainly delightful.

The 2009 Acura TL is a polarizing vehicle for the luxury brand of Honda Motor Company. Distinctive outward design elements include radical front and rear fasciae with angular styling cues throughout. One of the most striking features is the ground-breaking, platinum-plated Acura grille. Approach the car from any front facing direction and you can’t miss it.

Parking lot escapades are one thing, but to truly experience a well-engineered driving sedan such as the 2009 Acura TL, you need to take it out on the open road.

The TL's front seats offer 10-way power adjustment for the driver; 8-way for the passenger. Both enjoy dual-level heated front seats and excellent side, leg and thigh support. Heat-rejecting green-tinted glass with an acoustic front windshield adds to the overall calm and quiet inside. Getting comfortable and staying that way, even over the course of a full day’s drive, is easy.

At the heart of the 2009 Acura TL beats a 3.5-litre, 24-valve SOHC VTEC V6 engine. Performance is rated at 280 hp at 6,200 rpm and 254 lb.-ft. of torque at 5,000 rpm. Mated to a five-speed automatic transmission with paddle-shifters, acceleration is strong and smooth. The three hour drive from Detroit to just south of Cleveland had been completely enjoyable.

2009 Acura TL

Jeff Voth
Published: 18 02 2009

Driving in an Acura wonderland

Snapping open the window blinds, the weather outside was frightful. Snow was piling up faster than a traffic clogged rush-hour highway into the downtown core. This was the perfect day to hunker down and dive headfirst into a good book.

Inside my suite at Inn Walden, the warmth emanating from the gas fireplace was delightful. Since there was no particular place to go on this immensely cold January day, let it snow, let it snow, let it snow. Later, once the storm had passed, I would dig out the car and enjoy sledding through the backcountry roads of Aurora, Ohio from behind the wheel of the 2009 Acura TL.

Driving would be particularly amusing since the new Acura TL we were piloting wasn’t equipped with Super-handling All-Wheel Drive. Instead, it was the “base” front-wheel drive model. Though some may disagree with me on this point, every now and then, a little less traction is a very good thing.

The 2009 Acura TL is a polarizing vehicle for the luxury brand of Honda Motor Company. Distinctive outward design elements include radical front and rear fasciae with angular styling cues throughout. One of the most striking features is the ground-breaking, platinum-plated Acura grille. Approach the car from any front facing direction and you can’t miss it.

Inside, high-tech functionality is a brand staple and the 2009 Acura TL has plenty to spare.

Front seats offer 10-way power adjustment for the driver; 8-way for the passenger. Both enjoy dual-level heated front seats and excellent side, leg and thigh support. Heat-rejecting green-tinted glass with an acoustic front windshield adds to the overall calm and quiet inside. Getting comfortable and staying that way, even over the course of a full day’s drive, is easy.

At the heart of the 2009 Acura TL beats a 3.5-litre, 24-valve SOHC VTEC V6 engine. Performance is rated at 280 hp at 6,200 rpm and 254 lb.-ft. of torque at 5,000 rpm.

Mated to a five-speed automatic transmission with paddle-shifters, acceleration is strong and smooth. The three hour drive from Detroit to just south of Cleveland had been completely enjoyable.

Inn Walden is one of those truly unique resorts that, for whatever reason, seems to fly under the radar. Without doubt, a contributing factor is its unexpected location. Aurora, Ohio, though beautiful in an understated way, isn’t a top-tier destination for many. But given a chance, the area surrounding the hotel is particularly inviting, with horse stables, golf and Americana deeply rooted throughout the countryside.

The AAA Five Diamond Award Inn Walden features 23 suites on a self described, 1,000 acre exurban oasis in the heart of Ohio’s great Western Reserve.

A suite only resort, room sizes range from 1,250-1,500 sq. ft. Featured names include Equestrian, Loft and Pyramid, among others. Each effectively describes the individual character traits found within. All showcase warm pastel shades of cream, brown and earth tones, (the newest sporting various shades of green) with large windows, comfy seating areas and oversized beds worthy of a full eight hours sleep.

Spa Walden reflects the tranquil ambience found throughout the Inn. Spacious private spa suites define the experience, carrying the suite only theme throughout the resort to its logical conclusion. Floor lighting provides a silent path to your personal journey. At Spa Walden, time stands still as you become reacquainted with the important things in life; namely health and well-being.

Dining at Inn Walden takes place in three distinctive settings. Quick meals are served within the hotel at the Blue Ribbon Café. Located at the golf course, The Club specializes in steak and seafood. A short shuttle ride away, The Barn caters to any request with fine dining and an extensive regional and international wine list.

Refreshed and ready for fun, I brushed off the snow covered Acura TL and engaged the start/stop button. Though it seemed to require a few seconds longer than normal, the V6 engine soon sprang to life. I flipped on every switch associated with warmth as the outside temperature gauge registered -37° C. Scraping away any remaining ice from the windshield, my gloved fingers were numb in a matter of minutes.

Parking lot escapades are one thing, but to truly experience a well-engineered driving sedan such as the 2009 Acura TL, you need to take it out on the open road.

Aurora, Ohio features well-paved two-lane highways with undulating geography. Rolling hills followed by sweeping left and right turns recede towards the horizon for kilometres on end. Making the drive that much more appealing, snow covered the roadway, adding some guess work as to where asphalt ended and gravel began.

Later, as evening waned towards night, I returned to the parking lot and reflected on the drive. The weather on this day was undeniably frightful, but after a few hours of spirited driving at the wheel of the 2009 Acura TL, the fire inside me was certainly delightful.
Summary:
Year/Make/Model
2009 Acura TL
Price as tested
$43,490
Trim level
Tech package
Price range
$39,990-$47,990
Freight
$1,825
Options
none
EnerGuide fuel economy ratings
11.6 L/100km city; 7.5 L/100km hwy
Observed fuel economy
9.2 L/100 km, combined over 1,100 km
Warranty (basic)
4 years/80,000 km
Warranty (powertrain)
5 years/100,000 km
Competitors
Audi A4, BMW 3 Series, Cadillac CTS, Lincoln MKS, Volkswagen Passat
Strong Points
* - the right size
* - comfort
* - drivability
* - V6 engine
Weak Points
* - back seat legroom
* - somewhat overcomplicated dash
Editors Rating:
Fuel consumption 4/5* Remarkable for a powerful V6 engine.
Value for price 4/5* Competitive pricing, excellent warranty.
Styling 4/5* Love it or hate it styling.
Comfort 4.5/5* Outstanding seats, superb internal lighting, quiet interior.
Performance 4/5* Fast, powerful and fun-to-drive.
overall 4/5* Daring style in a high performance sedan.