can i use a bosch impact drill to unscrew my oil bolt ? - AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

Go Back  AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community > AcuraZine TL/TLX Community > Fourth Generation TL (2009-2014)
Reload this Page >

can i use a bosch impact drill to unscrew my oil bolt ?

Notices

Old 05-07-2018, 07:22 PM
Registered Member

my oil bolt always gets tighten super tight from the dealer.
and no matter how much i try using the wrench does not move it . so can i use a impact drill ??
Old 05-07-2018, 08:27 PM
Registered Member

You can... but you should probably try a breaker bar + ratchet or wrench first. The bolt should only be tightened to 33ft lb which isn't much, but without leverage it could feel tighter. I normally just give my wrench a good smack to get it loose, if you really need to, grab a hammer and give it a good smack to loosen it.
Old 05-07-2018, 09:48 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by John Ngo View Post
my oil bolt always gets tighten super tight from the dealer.
and no matter how much i try using the wrench does not move it . so can i use a impact drill ??
Another thing you can do is to simply ignore the bolt and drain the oil via the dipstick; I haven't pulled an oil pan drain bolt since 1999. Here's the unit I use:
Old 05-12-2018, 08:17 AM
Registered Member

I have a much better idea. Just take a hammer and chisel that'll fix it real good. Why would you want to use an impact driver on an oil drain bolt. I understand that sometimes they are really tight, it should never be that tight that you need an impact driver to get out the oil pan drain bolt. You could end up snapping the bolt head off. Then you'll have some real problems. I would use the idea that someone else had and get a breaker bar. Leverage is your friend. If you feel like you're going to snap it, take it to what ever dealer did the oil change last time, this way, when they snap the head off the bolt it will be their problem, not yours. Drain bolts for oil pans never need to be that tight. Engines don't build pressure in the oil pan, all the bolt does is hold the oil in. When I do my oil change on my car I screw the Bolt in by hand and then snug it down, just snug it. I know that Honda calls for something like 29 foot pounds. In my book, that's way too tight for an oil pan bolt . We're talking a steel bolt into an aluminum pan. Great way to strip out the pan.

Last edited by svtmedic; 05-12-2018 at 08:26 AM.
Old 05-16-2018, 11:18 AM
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by vanydotk View Post
you can... But you should probably try a breaker bar + ratchet or wrench first. The bolt should only be tightened to 33ft lb which isn't much, but without leverage it could feel tighter. I normally just give my wrench a good smack to get it loose, if you really need to, grab a hammer and give it a good smack to loosen it.
+1
Old 05-17-2018, 01:33 AM
dv-
Registered Member

Penetrating oil?

It shouldn't be that tight, and it's the one bolt on the car that gets unscrewed every couple months. You shouldn't need to use power tools unless some... person... just absolutely butchered it (cross threading, ran it down with an impact, etc.) And at that point, you're going to need to replace the plug ans possibly rethread the oil pan.