Sponsored by: DashLynx

Brakes Rusting-what would you do

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2017, 05:01 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brakes Rusting-what would you do

Hey all,

Just traded my 2005 Acura TSX in for a 2013 TL SH-AWD. Really enjoying it so far and feel I got a good value on it.

During the haggling process I noticed some rust on the caliphers, and brake discs. While I understand this likely wont effect the performance of the brakes it is unsightly to me...and after spending 20K+ on a new ride I tried to get the dealer to include buffing them out as part of the deal-which they wouldn't do. I found it weird to see this level of oxidation on a car owned in California and sold in Washington.

Below is a pic-so the question is what would you all do? I love the look of black calipher covers or other parts. Knowing at 40K it is on stock brakes wondering if it makes sense to change em out...but caliphers are a spendy endeavor. Would you remove wheels and paint, try to clean em up? Any guidance is much appreciated!

Old 06-01-2017, 05:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 210 Likes on 158 Posts
Your image does not work.

Surface rust on the rotors just means the car has been sitting for a bit, nothing ridiculous about that. After you drive around for a bit it should clear right up. If it's on the hub portion (center bit) that can happen for untreated rotors.

Calipers are likely just some light surface rust too, just spend a day this weekend with a wirewheel brush on a drill + brake cleaner and clean them up. I sprayed mine with some bright silver ceramic caliper paint to get them looking fresh again.