Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

BMW 335xi vs 2012 TL, Epic Fail Acura?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 06:15 PM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by CalgaryAWDTL
Is the logic 7 the same as the Individual? I didn't think it was but maybe it's just different names for the US and Canada. To be clear, the base BMW sound system sucks and is not the one I was referring to. That Individual sound system alone up here was an extra $1500 on my 335d and was worth every penny although I didn't really pay for it. It's also the stock system in the E92 M3 up here.
Originally Posted by Hamma Tyme
I figured you were not referring to the stock system. I couldn't confirm the Logic 7 and the Individual are the same being I couldn't log on to BMW.ca because of some crazy survey. I would assume they are the same upgraded systems with different names.

The Logic 7 is NOT the same of the BMW Individual Audio. BMW Canada has three different sound systems:

- Base Hi-Fi, basically crap
- Logic 7 with 13 speakers by Harman Kardon
- Individual Audio with 16 speakers by DIRAC

Having owned a 2008 M3 and 2009 335d both of which had the top end "Individual Sound" system, there is no doubt it is a better sound system than Acura's. BMW's Individual sound system is by far the most clear and loudest stock system I have ever heard in any car!
Thanks man. This gives me some much needed confidence in the BMW system, quite a few posts criticizing the Individual Audio on BMW forums.
Old 04-16-2011, 06:28 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by draph
BTW, I'm not talking about rwd oversteer, here. I'm talking about one wheel spinning and the DSC killing power to the point it was like pulling out into traffic with my very first car, a 1984 Olds Ciera diesel....

With all the stability/traction stuff turned on, I can actually get power oversteer easier in the Acura SH-AWD 6MT than in could with the BMW. With the DSC system off, the one spinning wheel of the BMW could get the back end to come around.
I think that about right now it should not take BMW another 3 years to figure out a secure solution to the same old issues (it's not classy at all).
Old 04-16-2011, 06:45 PM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
Don't know about the indivdual but the Logic 7 is not a discrete surround system, it's matrix which is surround reproduction. The ELS supports 5.1 discrete via DTS otherwise known as DVD-A (there is also Dolby Digital DVD-A). Likewise the TL supports Dolby ProLogic II which is a 5.1 matrix standard and is a very recognized format. Often times there is less mixing of the sound source in the TL so it remains very clean.

All sources in the Logic 7 are remixed and even if there is support for DVD-A formats, it is not original and playback is not as intended. I am sure the system is very good nontheless, there's lots of power and many speakers. Probably depends on what you are looking for and what you prefer when you listen to each.
Old 04-16-2011, 06:52 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by winstrolvtec
Don't know about the indivdual but the Logic 7 is not a discrete surround system, it's matrix which is surround reproduction. The ELS supports 5.1 discrete via DTS otherwise known as DVD-A (there is also Dolby Digital DVD-A). Likewise the TL supports Dolby ProLogic II which is a 5.1 matrix standard and is a very recognized format. Often times there is less mixing of the sound source in the TL so it remains very clean.

All sources in the Logic 7 are remixed and even if there is support for DVD-A formats, it is not original and playback is not as intended. I am sure the system is very good nontheless, there's lots of power and many speakers. Probably depends on what you are looking for and what you prefer when you listen to each.
That's is a very good point. But I don't think I will ever listen to DVD-A on my car. I remember reading a thread that only stereo format is supported via the USB.

If I can actually playback music video with 5.1 sound stored on USB drive, even just the audio portion without video playback. Then I think that will make a big difference.
Old 04-16-2011, 06:52 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by SL1200MK4
The Logic 7 is NOT the same of the BMW Individual Audio. BMW Canada has three different sound systems:

- Base Hi-Fi, basically crap
- Logic 7 with 13 speakers by Harman Kardon
- Individual Audio with 16 speakers by DIRAC

Thanks man. This gives me some much needed confidence in the BMW system, quite a few posts criticizing the Individual Audio on BMW forums.
This sounds right.

BTW, I've also heard from a friend who owns a '11 M3 (who actually was the previous owner of my '08 M3) and BMW salesmen that the '11 BMW with Individual Sound has changed a bit from the '08-'10 and there have been lots of complaints about it. Something to do with the radio quality but not sure.
Old 04-16-2011, 07:00 PM
Drifting

BTW, I'm not talking about rwd oversteer, here. I'm talking about one wheel spinning and the DSC killing power to the point it was like pulling out into traffic with my very first car, a 1984 Olds Ciera diesel....

With all the stability/traction stuff turned on, I can actually get power oversteer easier in the Acura SH-AWD 6MT than in could with the BMW. With the DSC system off, the one spinning wheel of the BMW could get the back end to come around.
I am not sure what you mean by this. Are you talking about a situation where you are got stuck in traffic by cars turning left and you want to make a quick lane change to the right lane with fast moving traffic?

In the two following video, the 335xi was able to launch without drama and that's with power upgrades.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDUc710kY3I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fuTt...eature=related
Old 04-16-2011, 07:10 PM
Drifting

This sounds right.

BTW, I've also heard from a friend who owns a '11 M3 (who actually was the previous owner of my '08 M3) and BMW salesmen that the '11 BMW with Individual Sound has changed a bit from the '08-'10 and there have been lots of complaints about it. Something to do with the radio quality but not sure.
Thanks. I will look into that.

I also want to thank everyone for providing a rational and informative discussion. I did more research on the N55 engine and I believe that I underestimate the extend of the problem.

The exterior style of the TL grew on me a lot in the last few days. I can probably live without the heated steering wheel, better steering feel and the adaptive headlight. Heated steering wheel is nice to have in Canada though.
Old 04-16-2011, 07:18 PM
Advanced

Thanks. I will look into that.

I also want to thank everyone for providing a rational and informative discussion. I did more research on the N55 engine and I believe that I underestimate the extend of the problem.

The exterior style of the TL grew on me a lot in the last few days. I can probably live without the heated steering wheel, better steering feel and the adaptive headlight. Heated steering wheel is nice to have in Canada though.
Yeah, I miss this on our Acura's!!

Keep in mind too although you're paying a premium for the '12 TL now it is still a 2012 next year and is what Acura will still be selling with the TL which may benefit you if you do sell it. Good luck doing that without a big loss on the out-going E90 with the F30 here next spring.

Anyways, pick one and move on....you're not marrying the damn thing!
Old 04-17-2011, 08:08 PM
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts
I am not sure what you mean by this. Are you talking about a situation where you are got stuck in traffic by cars turning left and you want to make a quick lane change to the right lane with fast moving traffic?

In the two following video, the 335xi was able to launch without drama and that's with power upgrades.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDUc710kY3I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fuTt...eature=related
I'm talking about a scenario where you are making a right or left turn onto a busy, relatively high speed limit street. Even more frustrating is when it's a cool, damp morning. A 3 series X might do better than the rwd I had. I also noticed both videos have the DSC light on. I thought BMW was stupid to require you to hit the DSC button for better acceleration performance; and, then, when it's on you can't run the cruise control - I real PITA for the commute with mixed city/hwy driving.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:13 PM
ZCL
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Yeah, I miss this on our Acura's!!

Keep in mind too although you're paying a premium for the '12 TL now it is still a 2012 next year and is what Acura will still be selling with the TL which may benefit you if you do sell it. Good luck doing that without a big loss on the out-going E90 with the F30 here next spring.

Anyways, pick one and move on....you're not marrying the damn thing!
What premium? I paid invoice for my 2012 TL Advance. Obviously later in the year I could dive into their holdback and go sub-invoice, but I can deal with invoice this time of year. Go for it!
Old 04-18-2011, 01:07 AM
Drifting

I'm talking about a scenario where you are making a right or left turn onto a busy, relatively high speed limit street. Even more frustrating is when it's a cool, damp morning. A 3 series X might do better than the rwd I had. I also noticed both videos have the DSC light on. I thought BMW was stupid to require you to hit the DSC button for better acceleration performance; and, then, when it's on you can't run the cruise control - I real PITA for the commute with mixed city/hwy driving.
I see. I have no doubt that the xDrive will do better than RWD in this situation and in theory SH-AWD will do better than xDrive.
Old 04-18-2011, 01:20 AM
Drifting

Here is a quick update. I got a call from my Acura sales rep. Even he agrees that the sales manager was kinda rude. The General Manager agrees to give me a slightly better deal but not by much.

Believe it or not, I am really not a badge snob. I just like power and the 335xi without a doubt has the edge in that department. If I can get the TL for $8000 less than the Bimmer, that is $50,000 tax in OTD, then it will be the TL for me.
Old 04-18-2011, 04:47 AM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here is a quick update. I got a call from my Acura sales rep. Even he agrees that the sales manager was kinda rude. The General Manager agrees to give me a slightly better deal but not by much.

Believe it or not, I am really not a badge snob. I just like power and the 335xi without a doubt has the edge in that department. If I can get the TL for $8000 less than the Bimmer, that is $50,000 tax in OTD, then it will be the TL for me.
To be politically correct it's no longer a 335xi, it's a 335i xDrive. Yes, I am that guy.
Old 04-18-2011, 05:20 AM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL1200MK4 If you have any questions feel free to PM me. There's loads of information in this thread that isn't true. To be fair, the TL is to the 5 series. Comparing the 3 to a TL is like comparing a whale and dolphin.
The following users liked this post:
fryrice (08-22-2012)
Old 04-19-2011, 09:06 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Sleepless_MIA
^ This. I got a similar deal about 2 months ago from my dealer in Georgia for my '11 TL.

Sounds like the prices up there in Canada are a bit on the ridiculous side, in which case, I'd go with the 335xi...
^^^^ Absolutely. The numbers in the first post this thread is based on just don't add up to my experience. If the numbers were true for my purchase in Florida that would be one thing, but the TL was clearly much cheaper than those Canadian numbers represent. Down here, the value when comparing everything clearly fall with the TL.

That said, if you like the BMW better than it is worth every penny more.