Back in the TL gang

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2016, 10:44 PM
Drifting

Received 849 Likes on 605 Posts
Back in the TL gang

So after my 2+ yeah hiatus, I've picked up another TL. I had a 2006 6MT that I heavily modified in a foolish but very fun attempt to turn it into a race car, and largely succeeded thanks to inaccurates awesome "TL Diet" strategy. However, in an attempt to demonstrate how great my new coilovers were, I took a left hand turn going about 45mph and smashed into a Taco Bell drive through. I totalled the TL, along with two other cars, and knocked over the drive through menu. It was rather epic really. Somehow I got away with only a citation for "improper lane change" from the officer though it very easily could have been reckless driving. Two of my coworkers were with me and make sure to remind me at least weekly of that event. It was very likely the single most stupid thing I've ever done. I've taken turns like a grandma ever since. Seriously though, I could have killed someone had there been pedestrians on the curb or something. It was a hard lesson I learned on not being a dumbass showoff.

Anyway, pics or it didn't happen (I still wish it didn't happen. That was a great car).

All the Taco Bell Chalupa's in the world couldn't heal my broken heart that fateful day.

So naturally, in an attempt to punish myself and kill my inner race car driver, I picked up a 2007 TSX with an AT. And believe me, it was a punishment. The TSX is, quite frankly, NOT a car to get excited about. No offense to the 1G TSX boys. It's a good car.....for my wife. It's got a great K series 4cyl and it's a nimble little thing, but it served strictly as a functional, reliable, get-around-town vehicle. Nothing more. I did the bare minimum maintenance then pawned it off before it hit 105K for it's timing belt change. Ain't no way I was pouring cash into it for a timing belt.

After two years of the TSX I decided I'd suffered enough and shopped around for a new whip. Originally I test drove the 4.5G TL. My wife will occasionally use the car and if I had to settle for the auto I wanted a 6AT. And I preferred the look after the MMR since the 4G frequently scared small children and warded off evil spirits (or invited them?). I figured I needed to broaden my horizons though so I gave a few others a shot. I was all over the 9th gen Accord V6. It's a spunky little thing and I like the interior as well as the front end. However, the lack of transmission control (no manu-matic or paddles shifters) was a total deal breaker. Those are a big deal in crappy weather to aid in slowing down rather than using brakes, as well as steep grades in the mountains here in Utah. Plus the VCM on the Earth Dreams V6 sucks Maybe I'm too in touch with the car but I could feel whenever the extra cylinders cut off and fired back up. I test drove a single IS 250 but "holy gutless batman!". It's like I was back in TSX. Oh, and the backseat is reminiscent of my brothers old Honda Prelude. I guess only midgets and gnomes can ride in the back. I also test drove several IS 350's which were a ton of fun and damn fast but I was a little concerned about RWD in the winter, and there are almost no AWD's for sale here. That and the navigation on the ones I could afford (2007-2008) looked like they were designed by Atari back in 1982. I took a G37 for a spin but was convinced before I turned over the engine that it wasn't for me. I've been spoiled by Acura's interior too much. I'm ruined for life. Same deal by the Subaru's I drove. They're great, but interior? No dice. I even test drove a ZDX which was kind of cool but a little too weird. Plus it has the blindspot of a moving van. So after all that time, I wound up back where I started - a 2012 TL:

FWD, 6AT, Technology Package. Taupe interior. Exactly what I was looking for. Dark exterior, light interior. Some might agree that wasn't quite the right choice Kind of a deviation from my last TL. A 6MT SH-AWD would have been sweet but would just encourage me to take corners sharp again That probably would have been a bad thing. I test drove a few SH-AWD's, manual and auto, but eventually decided against it. They were fun around the turns, that's for sure. But the main reason I had to pass was reliability. I've read too much about the propeller shaft bearings wearing out and the goofy silicone liners or whatever in the 3.7 that can cause oil consumption. Ain't nobody got time for that. Plus, Utah really isn't that crazy in the winter so the AWD isn't a must. So yeah, eventually decided on the FWD but made sure it has the tech package. The Nav and upgraded stereo were a must. I know, most will tell me that those problems are isolated occurrences but it's not a chance I wanted to take right now. This will be driven by me, my wife and eventually passed down to my son in 4-5 years and I want it to last a long time. If we were talking something like a bad alternator or even air conditioner components I could live with that. But a chance of needing an engine replacement or a propeller shaft swap are too spendy for my budget, even if it's several years in the future.

I won't be tearing this one apart like my last one (Unfortunately?), although I've already stripped all that stupid plastic from the engine bay. I'll look to mod soon though. The RV6 cats and j-pipe are definitely on my radar as well as coil-overs. That will be a bit down the road though. I'll browse through the forum to see what else is recommended. I know the SH-AWD has larger brakes but so far these seem pretty darn good. Time will tell.

Any tips on first mods are welcome
The following users liked this post:
hadokenuh (10-11-2016)
Old 10-11-2016, 06:20 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Dude!! I was just thinking about you!!!
very glad the TL holds up against our foolish ways.
super glad there werent any pedestrians.

congrats on the auto 6AT
Old 10-11-2016, 08:11 AM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Received 599 Likes on 454 Posts
Glad to see no one was hurt (except maybe your pride) in your previous accident. Congrats on the TL...
EvilVirus (10-12-2016)
Old 10-11-2016, 10:20 AM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
It is sweet. how many miles on the dashboard?

did you notice the TC judder yet?
try 16 -030. but it is not really help since second tank of gas. the preliminary smooth feeling must come from fluid change.
Old 10-11-2016, 04:31 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by justnspace
Dude!! I was just thinking about you!!!
very glad the TL holds up against our foolish ways.
super glad there werent any pedestrians.

congrats on the auto 6AT
Thanks. I see you're still as active on the boards as ever. Do you still have your 3G 6MT?

Originally Posted by lltfly
It is sweet. how many miles on the dashboard?

did you notice the TC judder yet?
try 16 -030. but it is not really help since second tank of gas. the preliminary smooth feeling must come from fluid change.
64K. I think I've noticed it but I can't tell if it's just shifting from 1st to 2nd or if it's a "judder". Is there a fix? What's 16 -030? I planned on doing a 3x3 flush with DW-1 soon. Maybe that will make a difference. Otherwise, it seems pretty solid.
Old 10-11-2016, 04:39 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by losiglow

64K. I think I've noticed it but I can't tell if it's just shifting from 1st to 2nd or if it's a "judder". Is there a fix? What's 16 -030? I planned on doing a 3x3 flush with DW-1 soon. Maybe that will make a difference. Otherwise, it seems pretty solid.

16 -030 is the TSB which updates the software of transmission and does one time fluid change.
losiglow (10-11-2016)
Old 10-11-2016, 07:22 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by lltfly
16 -030 is the TSB which updates the software of transmission and does one time fluid change.
Well paint me green and call me a pickle, you're right. I called up the Acura dealer that originally sold the car here in SLC and sure enough, it needed the Takata airbag recall and TSB update you mentioned. I have an appointment Monday morning. They told me it would take about 4 hours so they're giving me a loaner.

Thanks a ton for letting me know. I never really noticed until I paid attention on the way home today. And yes, there's definitely that lag or hesitation when it shifts from 1st to 2nd to 3rd. If you accelerate quicker it doesn't do it. But if you're taking it easy it seems to struggle to decide whether it should go into the next gear or not.

Do you know if they do a 3x3 or just a single drain and refill of the transmission? I have a case of DW1 I was planning on doing a 3x3 with but if they're going to take care of it I won't bother.

Thanks again!
Old 10-12-2016, 07:43 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 325 Likes on 214 Posts
Welcome to the board, probably one of the more entertaining introduction threads I've read.

My TL is nearly identical to yours and I've had it for 4 years, other than the small transmission issue the only other issues I've experienced are a gas cap light that will come on occasionally and the OEM battery is pretty weak if you let the car sit for too long.
Old 10-12-2016, 07:46 AM

yep, still have the '06 6MT.
much like yours, it's been through a lot.
I plan to keep it for as long as possible, another 4-6 years if possible.
Old 10-12-2016, 08:20 AM
Racer

Well paint me green and call me a pickle, you're right. I called up the Acura dealer that originally sold the car here in SLC and sure enough, it needed the Takata airbag recall and TSB update you mentioned. I have an appointment Monday morning. They told me it would take about 4 hours so they're giving me a loaner.

Thanks a ton for letting me know. I never really noticed until I paid attention on the way home today. And yes, there's definitely that lag or hesitation when it shifts from 1st to 2nd to 3rd. If you accelerate quicker it doesn't do it. But if you're taking it easy it seems to struggle to decide whether it should go into the next gear or not.

Do you know if they do a 3x3 or just a single drain and refill of the transmission? I have a case of DW1 I was planning on doing a 3x3 with but if they're going to take care of it I won't bother.

Thanks again!
after update, they only do one time drain and refill
Old 10-12-2016, 09:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,988 Likes on 1,412 Posts
Congrats! Looks like we are almost twins sans the wheels difference!

Check out the TSB for the Transmission Judder, you get a drain and refill of ATF and a software update once it's available.

If you have a gurgling noise near the front, the ATF filter needs to be replaced! I'm replacing mine every 30K miles with the engine and cabin filter for peace of mind.
Old 10-13-2016, 11:43 AM
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by csmeance
Congrats! Looks like we are almost twins sans the wheels difference!

Check out the TSB for the Transmission Judder, you get a drain and refill of ATF and a software update once it's available.

If you have a gurgling noise near the front, the ATF filter needs to be replaced! I'm replacing mine every 30K miles with the engine and cabin filter for peace of mind.
Did you change your Trans filter from the top or bottom?Did mine from the top what a pain.I put one of these on.
Magnefine 3/8 Inch Magnetic Inline Transmission Filter
Old 10-19-2016, 02:03 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by wreak
Welcome to the board, probably one of the more entertaining introduction threads I've read.

My TL is nearly identical to yours and I've had it for 4 years, other than the small transmission issue the only other issues I've experienced are a gas cap light that will come on occasionally and the OEM battery is pretty weak if you let the car sit for too long.
Thank you. I had to have the TSB done for the torque converted shudder as well. Since then it's felt much better. Hopefully there wasn't any damage or undue wear since it's gone 67K miles without the update Feels super smooth now. The used car lot that sold it replaced the OEM battery with a new Interstate battery so hopefully that does the trick for a while.

Originally Posted by justnspace
yep, still have the '06 6MT.
much like yours, it's been through a lot.
I plan to keep it for as long as possible, another 4-6 years if possible.
Nice! How many miles on it now? I bought mine with 70K and crashed it at 130K. It probably would have gone three times that without a problem.

Thanks for the trans fluid filter info Csmeance. I didn't even know it had one. Is there an OEM one installed that should be replaced periodically or it it fitted onto a line somehow?
Old 10-19-2016, 02:10 PM

dont know when the last time you kept up with me, butt i'll recap;

-bought the car in 2010 with 30k miles
-had 70k miles and going strong when friend over-revved the engine by hitting the money shift.
- replaced heads with 3.7l MDX heads. (with 3.7 heads and a tune - car would have been a beast!)
- was leaking oil and I wanted to get it perfect, so I tore the engine down again.... but forgot to install something and blew the shortblock
- bought a used 100k+ mile engine and had it installed.
-Running PERFECT today with 75k miles on body and 100k+ miles on engine.
Old 10-19-2016, 02:13 PM
Racer

Thank you. I had to have the TSB done for the torque converted shudder as well. Since then it's felt much better. Hopefully there wasn't any damage or undue wear since it's gone 67K miles without the update Feels super smooth now. The used car lot that sold it replaced the OEM battery with a new Interstate battery so hopefully that does the trick for a while.

Nice! How many miles on it now? I bought mine with 70K and crashed it at 130K. It probably would have gone three times that without a problem.

Thanks for the trans fluid filter info Csmeance. I didn't even know it had one. Is there an OEM one installed that should be replaced periodically or it it fitted onto a line somehow?

I did the 16 030 2 months ago, after two tanks of gas, the judder came back. the initial smoothness could be the new fluid got replaced. this update could not help more.
But at this point, I do not want to replace the TC which will take my car apart. it seems to be brutal