Anyone traded their 09 TL SH-AWD 5AT for 10 AWD 6MT?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 11:11 AM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Anyone traded their 09 TL SH-AWD 5AT for 10 AWD 6MT?

Hello,

Time for a great discussion. Anyone traded their 5AT AWD TL for a 6MT one? I would like to know if you think the move was worth it. As much as I like my 09 TL, I found myself a little bored with the AT and I'm looking at a more engaging drive and to experience the supposely great 6MT made by Acura/Honda.

So my choices are along 2 lines:

1) Keep my car and continue paying it/ moding it (j-pipe remaining), building somewhat of an equity and then waiting for the new G sedan/coupe and the remodel of the TSX and the 5G TL and then choosing which car suits my need then. I still have 6 years of warranty so I can keep the car a long time without worrying for repairs.

2) Relearn driving stick. It should be easier since the TL is roomier than the cars I used to drive 7 years ago and I only have to concentrate on the clutch and the stick, the rest I already know. I have long leg and feet but I'll go to my dealer to see if there's hope for me, size-wise.Trading earlier means I won't have built a big equity on the car but it's not worse than if I leased the car. In fact, even if I trade it in after 2 years, the montly payments will have been lower than a 24-36 months lease so it isn't that bad.

If going for #2, My plan would be to trade the 09 during fall 2011 - winter 2012 to avoid getting too much of a hit. I might trade earlier if I have a good deal on the table...

I know the new G37x will probably come out late fall 2011 but I don't have a dealer nearby, the Nissan dealership in my city was on lock-out during most of 2010 so it makes having an Infiniti car quite a difficult proposition.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks!
-YetiTL
Old 07-18-2010, 02:00 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like the 2010 TL sh-awd/tech/6MT. It's a driver's car, an entertaining sports sedan that's offered at an enticing price point vis-a-vis the competition. The transmission keeps me engaged as a driver and makes sense of the suspension and the sh-awd.

Go for it.
Old 07-18-2010, 02:25 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wait for the 2012 MMC TL and then buy the 6M version of that car.
Old 07-18-2010, 02:40 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by MyCarIsntInMyWifesName
+1

That's what im waiting to do
Old 07-18-2010, 03:56 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by MyCarIsntInMyWifesName
That's the likely course, I'll have more equity and a better choice of cars as well.
Old 07-18-2010, 07:46 PM
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Keep your TL for now and wait for 2012.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:47 PM
Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
I agree with the above. I love my 6MT. Many people thought I would regret getting an MT after never owning one (friend taught me once when I was like 17). And they though I would regret getting a stick in the City. Everyone was totally wrong. The first 2 weeks with the car were interesting, stalled a couple of times before I got the hang of it. But I love it, and probably will never go back to any car that is not MT equipped.

But wait for 2012, see what comes out.
Old 07-19-2010, 04:13 PM
Pro

Thanks for all replies! I'll wait for the MMC then make my move. I'll get some info after the MMC and learn to drive stick. Yays! Now I have something to spend my cash on! j/k
Old 07-19-2010, 09:00 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
Originally Posted by petec2010
I agree with the above. I love my 6MT. Many people thought I would regret getting an MT after never owning one (friend taught me once when I was like 17). And they though I would regret getting a stick in the City. Everyone was totally wrong. The first 2 weeks with the car were interesting, stalled a couple of times before I got the hang of it. But I love it, and probably will never go back to any car that is not MT equipped.

But wait for 2012, see what comes out.
I really admire you for getting a stick, when you were so used to driving an automatic! I was tempted to do so too - I learned to drive a stick over 20 years ago but I had never driven one since. When I bought my TL, I was so tempted to get the MT but I chickened out in the end and got the 5AT instead.... now I start to regret it a little bit! LOL
Old 07-19-2010, 09:08 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
I would wait as long as possible before changing cars.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:44 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by princelybug
I would wait as long as possible before changing cars.

Why so? If you have the financial possibility, why not go for it?

Life is short. So i say get the best out of it.
Old 07-20-2010, 01:16 AM
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by PhoenixUnit
Life is short. So i say get the best out of it.
that was the "logic" I used to justify buying my Porsche..

some purchases are not wise financially, but if they make you happy, it can be the right move. life is short, and if you don't stop and smell the roses, it will pass you by.

if you want a stick, go for it. don't shoot yourself in the foot to do it, but if you lose some money, and you are willing to live with it - don't let that hold you back.

look at other cars too. if I were unload m y RL and boxster - I'd seriously consider the new TL, but also a CPO 335i. you could slap a chip on that 335i and have a wicked fast sports sedan....

the new TL is a slick ride though.... i've had a couple for loaners, and reallly liked them. i hated how it looked at first..but once I drove one, I started to like it. it "grows" on you..
Old 07-20-2010, 07:39 AM
2015 TLX SH-AWD Elite BWP

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts
Yeti ,

I hope is not too much traffic on Trois-Rivieres, as I wished myself to get the stick but Montreal traffic would have kill me.
I drove, a while ago, for 2 years a stick car and it was fun , but my left foot start to soar because of the Montreal traffic and since then I said no stick again while I have a regular job (always in traffic) .
Good luck with that as I imagine the stick TL is a blast !
Old 07-20-2010, 11:43 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Momyc
Yeti ,

I hope is not too much traffic on Trois-Rivieres, as I wished myself to get the stick but Montreal traffic would have kill me.
I drove, a while ago, for 2 years a stick car and it was fun , but my left foot start to soar because of the Montreal traffic and since then I said no stick again while I have a regular job (always in traffic) .
Good luck with that as I imagine the stick TL is a blast !
Traffic is light in Trois-Rivières. My daily commute takes 25 minutes to get to job and back to home (25 minutes combined) plus I go to the gym 4 times per week.

Financially, it shouldn't be a problem as my salary just keep creeping up at a rather fast rate. I'll make sure to negotiate hard enough to get a good and fair deal. And by the time the 2012 will show up, I'll have a small-medium equity plus a good tax credit. I should end-up in a better position than what it is right now.

Thanks for the replies, I really appreciate it!
Old 07-20-2010, 12:11 PM
Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by ostrich
I really admire you for getting a stick, when you were so used to driving an automatic! I was tempted to do so too - I learned to drive a stick over 20 years ago but I had never driven one since. When I bought my TL, I was so tempted to get the MT but I chickened out in the end and got the 5AT instead.... now I start to regret it a little bit! LOL
Thanks - yea i've always wanted my own car with a stick. That's really the best/only way to learn, you need to do it every day. I have so much fun driving this car, it would be interesting to experience other MT cars now after driving this one. But the main reason is that I know that someday I will be buying a fun car for the summer. And that car WILL have an MT. My plan with my TL was to buy a car that I would be happy with long enough to keep it for at least 10 years. I don't put a lot of miles on my car (less than 10k a year) so I can probably go a lot longer than that. With a dependable paid off car - it will be much easier to push a summer car purchase past the banker of the house (wife).
Old 07-20-2010, 02:28 PM
Cruisin'

The whole "too much traffic for a stick" argument is really lame! Com'on...it is not as if you're driving a dumptruck. So, you haver to press in/let up on the clutch over and over. Don't you have to press in and then let up on the brake and the accelerator over and over too? Does that make you right leg sore? No offense intended here, but lots of traffic should not be the sole reason for choosing an automatic.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 527 Likes on 339 Posts
Originally Posted by sammietime
The whole "too much traffic for a stick" argument is really lame! Com'on...it is not as if you're driving a dumptruck. So, you haver to press in/let up on the clutch over and over. Don't you have to press in and then let up on the brake and the accelerator over and over too? Does that make you right leg sore? No offense intended here, but lots of traffic should not be the sole reason for choosing an automatic.
But your argument is petty weak and a little bold to call the other side of the coin "lame" because of that. For one, you are not depressing the accelerator/brake pedals all the way to the floor every two seconds (and not to mention most people are right sided, so that is their weaker leg which leads to fatigue faster). Secondly, if you live in a dense, older city like I do, there is literally a red light or stop sign every few feet in places. COUNTLESS streets where I live, you don't have to leave 2nd or 3rd gear if you don't want to.

I owned an MT for YEARS but have an auto now. I am not against owning an MT again and *sometimes* I miss it but quite frankly, it is hard to justify it where I live, as I would hardly ever get the full use out of it (and the reason why you buy an MT in the first place) and it would probably be more of a chore than anything.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts

x2 ... i'm lame i should've bought my tl in stick
Old 07-20-2010, 06:27 PM
Registered Member

The whole "too much traffic for a stick" argument is really lame!
Oh it is not. But you know what argument is lame? The whole "automatics are super boring and pointless and stupid and for lazy non-enthusiastic oafs" argument.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:16 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by ESHBG
But your argument is petty weak and a little bold to call the other side of the coin "lame" because of that. For one, you are not depressing the accelerator/brake pedals all the way to the floor every two seconds (and not to mention most people are right sided, so that is their weaker leg which leads to fatigue faster). Secondly, if you live in a dense, older city like I do, there is literally a red light or stop sign every few feet in places. COUNTLESS streets where I live, you don't have to leave 2nd or 3rd gear if you don't want to.

I owned an MT for YEARS but have an auto now. I am not against owning an MT again and *sometimes* I miss it but quite frankly, it is hard to justify it where I live, as I would hardly ever get the full use out of it (and the reason why you buy an MT in the first place) and it would probably be more of a chore than anything.
Yes. Poor choice of words. I have always driven MT but never in Philly so I have not experienced quite as crowded a traffic environment on a regular basis as you and other folks based on how you describe it. Just hate to see people pass or be persuaded by traffic. But yes it just comes down to personal preference. Nuf said.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:28 PM
2015 TLX SH-AWD Elite BWP

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts
Not taken !

But on my last stick car I was able to keep my right feet rest on the floor (same for my TL) and just flip it between throtle and brake pedal , but on the other hand for clutch I always had to lift the left feet to push it which made my feet to sore. I didn't try the MT TL to see if I can action the clutch without lifting the feet from the floor.
Definitely I'll try a MT when will became the time to change my TL.

Last edited by Momyc; 07-20-2010 at 10:31 PM.
Old 07-23-2010, 07:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 527 Likes on 339 Posts
Yes. Poor choice of words. I have always driven MT but never in Philly so I have not experienced quite as crowded a traffic environment on a regular basis as you and other folks based on how you describe it. Just hate to see people pass or be persuaded by traffic. But yes it just comes down to personal preference. Nuf said.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:54 PM
Instructor

Yes. I traded in a 2010 Honda Accord V6 coupe for my 2010 TL MT. Drive it in New Jersey and Philadelphia all the time, and don't regret it! Just have to figure out if you will Good luck!