Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Anyone else has these in their area?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 07:27 PM
Racer

Received 108 Likes on 83 Posts
Anyone else has these in their area?

We just got these, trying it today for the first time. Supposed to give you better gas milage and slight (im sure unnoticeable) gain in performance. Anyone has any experience with ethanol-free fuel?

Old 12-22-2013, 07:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
^^ No snow there??

Where I live, Ethanol is only found in non premium fuel.....
Old 12-22-2013, 07:42 PM
Racer

Received 108 Likes on 83 Posts
Originally Posted by weather
^^ No snow there??

Where I live, Ethanol is only found in non premium fuel.....
lol funny that you noticed that. We got a title as a snowiest city in US last week and today it was 63 degrees. Rain helped the snow melt in 3 days and we were under a severe flood warning all day. Only in Erie, PA.
Old 12-22-2013, 07:46 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
*sigh* I am sure you have seen the headlines about the ice storm....its so messy here!

We have had snow, ice pellets (called sleet in the US), and freezing rain....what a total mess!!

In any event, keep us posted on what your thoughts on the Ethanol free gas....
The following users liked this post:
Grigio4G (12-22-2013)
Old 12-22-2013, 09:27 PM
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
I wish I could get ethanol free gas. I'd pay extra for it.
Old 12-23-2013, 12:01 AM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
I never seen ethanol free gas before. Do you get better mpg with it?
Old 12-23-2013, 08:27 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts
You can check this site out to see if anywhere near you sells it: www.buyrealgas.com

Many stations in the FL Keys do so because it is less destructive to boat engines. It is more expensive but people don't mind paying extra for the peace of mind it gives them.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:40 AM

Received 1,020 Likes on 792 Posts
advantages? disadvantages? please explain
Old 12-23-2013, 10:46 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
quoted from the 3rd gen TL section.

Originally Posted by losiglow
This conversation is old hat , but it's fun to talk about anyway. It's this easy:

1st - Yes, many have experienced this phenomenon, that is, a consistent 10% decrease in MPG from the 10% etOH in gasoline. From a chemical standpoint, etOH contains only a fraction of the energy that is found is gasoline. Therefore, via simply chemistry, you're going to suffer an equal mileage loss equivilant to the reduced energy potential from added etOH. Usually it's less than 10% since etOH contains some energy (just not nearly as much as gasoline). So while it burns much cleaner than gasoline, you're simply having to use more gasoline to get the same result yielding no actual pollution reduction.

2nd - The reason etOh is in gasoline is NOT because it's somehow better for the environment. After accounting for milage loss, we're breaking even (actually, not even that, see "3rd"). etOH is in gasoline because of the ethanol/corn lobby convincing the government to add it.

3rd - Adding etOH is actually worse for the environment because of the energy (in the form of fossil fuels - coal and oil) required to manufacture ethanol.

It's a lose/lose for the american consumer but a great way for government lobbiests to line their pockets. It's a steaming pile of horse
Originally Posted by I hate cars
Agreed. As usual, a small group of people get rich, we all pay the price, it's the new American way.

Ethanol has about 1/2 the energy content of gasoline so you have to burn twice as much to get the same power. Or said another way you get 1/2 the mpg. The plus is it's led to huge OEM fuel injectors. In the old days, injectors capable of supporting 800hp with only 6 of them idled terribly and had bad street manners; they were not linear through their flow range and did not like the super short pulsewidth required at idle.

Now we have large injectors as OEM equipment on many flex fuel cars that have great street manners and are used as aftermarket injectors on many high hp gasoline engines. Many flex fuel cars also have huge gas tanks which is nice when you run it on gasoline. Some of our work vehicles have 35 gallon tanks where they used to hold 22-ish gallons.

But yeah, if the car has not been optimized for this fuel, mileage sucks. If these a**holes did not lower the octane of the gasoline mixed with ethanol we would have higher octane with 10% ethanol but of course they use a lower octane gasoline and bring the octane back up with the ethanol mix. The ECU would see little to no knock retard and it would advance timing slightly, making up for part of the mpg loss but that's too much to ask for.

As is typical for the government, they do a piss poor job of "research", not that they actually care about what's better for us or the environment. Sure, the ethanol mix is ever so slightly cleaner through the tailpipe which is the selling point to the general public. However, you're burning a larger volume of it due to the lower BTU content. It also takes a ton of hydrocarbon fuel to produce Ethanol. In the end it's worse for the environment but hey, it's cleaner out the tailpipe and leaving out all of the other facts makes it easy to sell to the public. Kind of like electric cars. They have "zero emissions". I guess that's true, the car puts out no emissions.... but the coal burning power plant 100 miles away that supplied the energy puts out a whole hell of a lot more pollutants than a modern ULEV or PZEV car does for the same power.

My TL with the 3rd cat removed had it's first official smog test which is it's second test. The first one when it had a few thousand miles on it had almost zero hydrocarbons. This last one with 120,000 miles had absolutely zero hydrocarbons. While that's not the only pollutant we're concerned with, show me a coal burning power plant that puts out that low of emissions for a given power output. Ethanol mix in the fuel is not needed nor is it good for the car or the environment. If they actually cared about mpg they would have left the gasoline's octane the same and let the car manufacturers take advantage of the 95-96 octane with more ignition timing to get back some of the losses.

Another problem with ethanol is it can cause the car to run leaner. The ECU has a target AFR to hit under various conditions and it uses the 02 sensors to make sure it's hitting that target. Introduce the ethanol mix without changing the target and you end up with a lean condition...... Say it's shooting for 14.7:1, stoich for gasoline and it hits the target AFR as it should. The ECU and 02 sensors are doing their job just fine. The problem is, 14.7 is very lean for ethanol. With only a 10% mix the car still runs and it runs acceptable but it most definitely is not going to run at it's best.

I'm going off topic but I believe diesel is the best thing we currently have, at least in the near future. Emissions are now low. They no longer sound like a diesel or smell like a diesel or have NVH like a diesel. My friend's Jetta TDI gets 44mpg in town and that's not driving it easy. He's hit 59-60mpg on the freeway a couple times driving it nicely. No batteries and no coal burning power plants to supply the power.
The following users liked this post:
Grigio4G (12-23-2013)
Old 12-23-2013, 03:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 150 Posts
I use it when I can get to a station.

http://www.pure-gas.org/ lists stations in the US.
I also have their app on my iPhone.
Old 12-23-2013, 05:15 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Also-- don't forget that thanks to lobbying efforts,the gas mileage sticker on a car reflects 100% gasoline and not the watered down 10% ethanol car.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 383 Likes on 239 Posts
There's a gas station about 3 miles from my house that sells Ethanol free gas but literally, it's a full dollar per gallon more. In spite of the price I've recently considered buying a tank just to see if I notice any difference. Am interested in hearing back from the OP and finding out his results.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:49 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
When did they start putting ethanol in gasoline? Like 6-8 years ago? Or was it the amount of ethanol that they mandated back then? It hasn't been in it forever, right?
Old 12-24-2013, 01:21 AM
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 72 Posts
Ethanol is new in fuel as of a few years ago... it was introduced to lower the cost of fuel the main draw back on newer cars is less mpg... Everyone has seen non-corn fuel as that is all we used to be able to get, Yes all ethanol is, is corn... Since they started putting it in fuel they have raised the prices back up and most haven't noticed. The real drawbacks are to Carb engines or engines that sit for long periods of time... The corn Destroys any rubber it touches... it also does what's called phase separation and turns to water when it sits. It is a vegetable and made of mostly water this is why the mpg has went down. Those of us with boats, old school hot rods, motorcycles, etc are very aware of the issues and use of non-corn fuel cause if we don't run it we end up with serious issues. They have products that are suppose to "stabilize it" which does stabilize the fuel just not the ethanol. I run Non-corn in all of my lawn equipment these days if I don't and use the 10% Eth I replace fuel lines twice a season... I've also fixed 50+ Motorcycles that the fuel line collapses from deterioration from the ethanol. Boats have fuel line issues, gunk in the carbs, and a serious water issue with the phase separation since they tend to sit for long periods. But in your newer TL you shouldn't really see any major issues if you run out a full tank at least once a month. The only thing you will see if lower MPG than non-corn fuel. We've always been able to get it on the water it's just in the last year it's started popping up at a local chain of gas stations for easy on road use... it sucked to go to the marina to get fuel for the lawn equipment and 4 wheelers... Wish we could get non-corn premium on land here which is stupid cause if you're spending the money and understand the reasons to run it you also normally want to run premium in that motor but all we get here on land is 89 mid grade...

Last edited by User Error; 12-24-2013 at 01:24 AM.