4G TL (2009-2014)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Anybody go from 3G TL-S 6MT to 10 TL SH-AWD 6MT?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 12:19 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anybody go from 3G TL-S 6MT to 10 TL SH-AWD 6MT?

Hi All,

Just wondering if anybody has gone from a 3G TL-S to the AWD 6MT? I would like to hear your thoughts on the change. Do you regret the decision or absolutely love it? Do you miss anything from the 3G?

I am going to go test drive a 2010 6MT this weekend and try to make up my mind and see if I want to "upgrade." When the 4G first came out I liked how everything looked except the grill. I am trying to look past it and I'm sure the drive and handling will probably push me over the fence.

Thanks!
Old 12-01-2009, 01:55 PM
Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
I had a 2007 TL Type S, it wasn't 6MT, but I absolutely loved that car, didn't think I would get rid of it... But then the 4G came out with the 6MT, and I always wanted to get a 6MT car so I jumped on it. This thing is just a beast. Amazing ride, fast, corners like it's on rails. Seriously, I was taking an exit ramp and pounded on the gas in 2rd and it just screamed around it.

This car is really in a whole other level above the 3G and it shows (from the price, and also the tech, ride, shawd, etc...).

I for one am glad that I bought this one, because I don't plan on getting rid of it.

In short, i don't regret the decision one bit. And at first I wasn't a huge fan of the grille, but as I've been looking at it over the past month, I'm a huge fan, looks great.
Old 12-01-2009, 04:24 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I had a 2006 TL 6MT ( No S available, just A-Spec that year) and just made the switch.

I really liked the 3G, but the 4G is just awesome. It feels quite a bit better in the performance and handling categories. My biggest complaint about the 3G was it being FWD after having so many RWD cars. Now with the 4G having AWD & the 6MT I quite satisfied.

So no regrets at all.
Old 12-01-2009, 09:50 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i came from an 07 TL -S MT and boy the 2010 6MT is amazingly soooo much better in every way then the 07. No more torque steer and peeling out badly. The SH-AWD when taking exit ramps or corners is heaven. I love the engine roar when taking off as well. The clutch is alot easier especially for the wife. The only thing I miss from the 07 was the red interior lights.

I actually love the shape and lines of the new car. The grill on a white car doesn't even look bad at all. I think most people out there think of the FWD TL. The wheels and tires on that car are horrendous and kill all looks of the car. Dealers are actually upgrading most of there cars to the 18 inchers.

Last edited by gulu100; 12-01-2009 at 09:52 PM.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:00 PM
I have car ADD

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts
I went from 3G TL-S 5AT to 4G SH-AWD 5AT.... love the new car...

The only thing superious about the 3G TL-S 5AT in my opinion was the transmission.... the SH-AWD 5AT is a little sluggish... and no shift action on the shifter.. only paddles... BOO
Old 12-01-2009, 10:28 PM
Intermediate

thanks for all the replies! I am definitely looking forward to test driving it this weekend.

The only thing I miss from the 07 was the red interior lights.
I love the red lights too! What color are the interior lights in the AWD? Is it different from the FWD?

In short, i don't regret the decision one bit. And at first I wasn't a huge fan of the grille, but as I've been looking at it over the past month, I'm a huge fan, looks great.
What color is your car? I think the grill looks fine on a white car but on black it stands out a little too much.

Can you guys feel the difference in acceleration? From 0? For passing on the street? Passing on the freeway? Reason why I ask is because the 3.7L weighs more and is only 20some hp more than the 3.5 Type S

Thanks again for all the responses!
Old 12-01-2009, 10:43 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
Sounds to me like the 4g is unreal. great performance evolution over the 3g tl.

Wish the TSX was the same sort of evolution. I guess the V6 TSX would be a good performer.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BLACKURA_NY

The only thing superious about the 3G TL-S 5AT in my opinion was the transmission.... the SH-AWD 5AT is a little sluggish... and no shift action on the shifter.. only paddles... BOO

This is one of the things that really bothers me about the 4G. Acura didn't supply enough internal hardware to match the aggressive and far-out looks of the exterior. Even VW offers DSG on their cheap Golf GTI models. The 2010 TL remains pat while the competition is offering direct injection, DSG, adjustable dampers, turbo-/superchargers, and increased fuel efficiency. It's hard to believe but Hyundai's Genesis 375 hp V8 gets almost the same gas mileage as the TL's 3.7L! Acura often flaunts their SH-AWD as something revolutionary, but this technology is almost 5 years old and new AWD systems coming from BMW and Audi are better. Acura used to be admired as being on the forefront of automotive technology but nowdays it seems they're struggling just to catch-up to the competition.
Old 12-02-2009, 12:20 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's the weight of the car not the transmission. One of the reasons why I changed the Z1ATF to Royal Purple. Am afraid this tranny is working OT.
Old 12-02-2009, 01:08 AM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
Originally Posted by PetesTL
This is one of the things that really bothers me about the 4G. Acura didn't supply enough internal hardware to match the aggressive and far-out looks of the exterior. Even VW offers DSG on their cheap Golf GTI models. The 2010 TL remains pat while the competition is offering direct injection, DSG, adjustable dampers, turbo-/superchargers, and increased fuel efficiency. It's hard to believe but Hyundai's Genesis 375 hp V8 gets almost the same gas mileage as the TL's 3.7L! Acura often flaunts their SH-AWD as something revolutionary, but this technology is almost 5 years old and new AWD systems coming from BMW and Audi are better. Acura used to be admired as being on the forefront of automotive technology but nowdays it seems they're struggling just to catch-up to the competition.
I definitely see where you are coming from, don't get me wrong, but on the other hand Acura still makes a very refined, fuel efficient engine despite not having DI in the first place. Many have a DSG, 6 and even 7AT but at least Acura still offers an exceptional, dare I say the best, 6MT where many don't and are doing away with it. They didn't make this product and take an extra year to develop it just for use in the TL alone.

They also make a respectable amount of power being NA and still perform as well as the competition when evenly matched, being as large, heavy and as powerful and they don't have to sacrifice their reliability and maintenance in doing so. The Genesis may almost get the same mileage but for a V8 coupled with RWD and not any heavier I would also expect it perform much better than a TL and it really doesn't, some cases it's worse. I expect to see the next installment of SH to be pretty much on par with anything that took 5 years to catch up to it.

I don't see it as a struggle, IMO it's more of a choice. They can't afford to give the customer everything and then charge accordingly, no one would buy them. If one desires it all, spend the extra $10k-$20k and get it and even then it still won't have everything that could be desired. I think Acura delivers plenty for what they charge, you rarely have your cake and get to it eat it too.
Old 12-02-2009, 01:45 AM
I have car ADD

^ well spoken

Acura does lack in a few categories when compared to Audi & BMW & Benz... However, the $10k saved... is worth it... thats what seperates them from the crowd.... similar and comparable to the $50-$60k car, but with a price tag of $35-$45k

Now, maybe the High End Hyundai is also, $35-$40k, with all the features of the 4G TL and probably more... but... its a hyundai dude... go look at the cheap interior design, and stale use of technology and luxury items.

Acura is the perfect balance....
Old 12-02-2009, 08:15 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Originally Posted by winstrolvtec
... dare I say the best, 6MT where many don't and are doing away with it. They didn't make this product and take an extra year to develop it just for use in the TL alone.
I think you're right about that. The new six speed is strong and shifts very well...and I'd hope to see it in the TSX V6 whether or not they decide to go with SH-AWD in the TSX.

280 HP is a lot for an FF car the size of the TSX, however. If they do not go SH-AWD, I hope they put the Torsen axle in it.

I think Acura delivers plenty for what they charge, you rarely have your cake and get to it eat it too.
I think you're right. In some ways the TL is a very special niche market. It's a mixture of people moving from a Honda sedan or TSX to a better car, and people who shopped in the $60K market and don't understand why they'd pay that much when the TL does the same thing for a hell of a lot less.

Do you think that the majority of TL purchasers are moving to it from a smaller Acura or cheaper Honda?

I moved to the TL from an Accord because I just couldn't believe the value and perfect compromise that the TL appeared to present.
Old 12-02-2009, 10:24 AM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by George Knighton

I think you're right. In some ways the TL is a very special niche market. It's a mixture of people moving from a Honda sedan or TSX to a better car, and people who shopped in the $60K market and don't understand why they'd pay that much when the TL does the same thing for a hell of a lot less.

Do you think that the majority of TL purchasers are moving to it from a smaller Acura or cheaper Honda?

I moved to the TL from an Accord because I just couldn't believe the value and perfect compromise that the TL appeared to present.
I came from a 1G TSX to briefly (a disaster experiement) the IS250 AWD to my 4G TL 6mt.

I shopped both the upscale (ie. BMW, Audi, Infiniti, MB, etc) and "mainstream" brands (Subaru, Toyota, Honda).

In the end, the TL had the perfect blend of driver's and passenger's comfort (a big priority for me), AWD traction, performance, reliability, and a slick 6speed manual. What other vehicle can you find that blend, regardless of price point?
Old 12-02-2009, 10:53 AM
Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by SkC13
What color is your car? I think the grill looks fine on a white car but on black it stands out a little too much.
I have the CBP w/ Ebony interior. At first it really stood out, but now that I've had a chance to look at it from more then one angle I think it looks great. I told myself I was going to live it with for 6 months before I made a decision to paint it or swap with a RJ Grille. I'm kinda interested in the Carbon Fiber grille that I saw on another thread. I think it may have been a CT Engineering one.

Plus I want to get my lights cleared and blacked out, and I want to see the difference with that before I do anything.
Old 12-02-2009, 10:02 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Now, maybe the High End Hyundai is also, $35-$40k, with all the features of the 4G TL and probably more... but... its a hyundai dude... go look at the cheap interior design, and stale use of technology and luxury items.

Acura is the perfect balance....
You forgot one HUGE advantage Acura/Honda has over Hyundai......RESALE VALUE, I say amen to that brother.
Old 12-02-2009, 11:44 PM
I have car ADD

Acura, has a brand, has the highest resale value of ANY car manufacturer
Old 12-03-2009, 05:36 PM
TL-SHAWD 6MT Rocks!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a 3G 6-MT and now a 2010 TL 6-MT SH-AWD Tech...black.

Love the new TL performance, like the old Type-S look a little better on the outside... it was a bit more agressive.
Old 12-05-2009, 11:39 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Acura, has a brand, has the highest resale value of ANY car manufacturer
Actually for 2008 KBB determined that Volkswagen had the best resale value of any brand....Acura was third.

Yeah, I was a bit shocked too.

Last edited by Ramrodthrusterpuppy; 12-05-2009 at 11:41 AM.
Old 12-11-2009, 03:48 PM
Intermediate

wellp, it is done. i ordered the black TL SH-AWD 6MT. TL's are in production this month so I should be receiving the car some time soon.

I remember when I upgraded from the TSX 6MT to the TL-S MT.. I thought that I would miss the TSX. But as soon as I got into the TL-S I never looked back. I wonder if it will be the same this time around :P the 08 TL-S is awesome and I doubt I would have upgraded if it wasnt for the AWD.
Old 12-12-2009, 07:25 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Originally Posted by MrHeeltoe
Wish the TSX was the same sort of evolution. I guess the V6 TSX would be a good performer.
It is probably just a matter of time before they satisfy that niche market that would buy the V6 with the excellent, new six speed transmission.

Thing is....

280 HP J Motor in a six speed TSX is really a lot of power in a small front drive car.

If they're not making SH-AWD available, I hope they will at least put the Torsen axle in it just so the driver can put the power down.

Before I bought my current car, I daily drove a 2006 Accord 6-6 HFP Coupe, and there were times I would not be able to do what I wanted for lack of being able to put the power down on the load bearing wheel.

No such issue with the TL, of course.