Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Alarm Issues 4th Gen TL

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 03:02 PM
Pro

Received 102 Likes on 78 Posts
Alarm Issues 4th Gen TL

Hello guys, when purchasing my 2013 Acura TL Tech I had an odd problem where my driver 1 key wouldn't respond at all. I was only able to open the door with the key insert. Push start worked also. Driver 2 key was lost before I even purchased the vehicle so they gave me an aftermarket replacement key and programmed the original key to work again. Everything is working now regarding keyless entry. They just warned me not to insert the key fob into the modular due to it being defective. I want an aftermarket alarm will I run into issues?
Old 06-06-2017, 09:59 PM
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts
Is the car under warranty? If so just get the Fob and such sorted out
If not I would still go to the dealer/or local shop that is able and get your key sorted out, however that is just me.
or search the forum and see if you can get an actual new Acura key fob reassigned to your car

Why can you not put your fob in your slot?
Old 06-06-2017, 10:07 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Anicra
Is the car under warranty? If so just get the Fob and such sorted out
If not I would still go to the dealer/or local shop that is able and get your key sorted out, however that is just me.
or search the forum and see if you can get an actual new Acura key fob reassigned to your car

Why can you not put your fob in your slot?
So far my 60 day warranty is up. I know the car is still covered by Acura power train and all. They gave me another key but so far I don't have a driver 2 original Acura key. Regarding the alarm install the key needs to be inserted into the key slot and my worries are that if it's inserted that the mechanism that grabs the key will fell again thus causing the keyless entry to think the key is still inside the car even when removed.
Old 06-06-2017, 10:30 PM
Pro

What is your mileage at?
Old 06-06-2017, 10:50 PM
Pro

What is your mileage at?
I'm currently at 45k.
Old 06-06-2017, 11:51 PM
Pro

You are under the mileage for the full warranty (4/50k)
and
Warranty transferability (According to the Owner site)
Acura warrantees the vehicle regardless of the number of ownership changes it incurs. In fact, the back cover of your Acura Warranty Information booklet contains a "Change of Address or Ownership Notification" form for that purpose. In case of safety recalls, product updates, etc., we need to know who to notify. Whenever you move or sell the car, please complete the form and send it to us promptly.

Perhaps you can get the dealer to solve for free or nearly free
Old 06-06-2017, 11:54 PM
Pro

You are under the mileage for the full warranty (4/50k)
and
Warranty transferability (According to the Owner site)
Acura warrantees the vehicle regardless of the number of ownership changes it incurs. In fact, the back cover of your Acura Warranty Information booklet contains a "Change of Address or Ownership Notification" form for that purpose. In case of safety recalls, product updates, etc., we need to know who to notify. Whenever you move or sell the car, please complete the form and send it to us promptly.

Perhaps you can get the dealer to solve for free or nearly free
Thank you! I'll look that over whenever I get the chance. I do know this car was leased and I'm the second owner.
Old 06-07-2017, 11:37 AM
Pro

These are some pics of the key slot for the key fob. It looks pushed out.
Old 06-07-2017, 04:39 PM
Pro

So I went to the Acura Dealer today and discovered that my warranty had expired even tho I'm under the 50k mile warranty. So they quoted me $385 to fix the key slot. The service department guy told me that eventually my key fobs will drain and I won't be able to start my car due to the batteries inside them dying. Is this true?
Old 06-07-2017, 10:06 PM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Kinuto
So I went to the Acura Dealer today and discovered that my warranty had expired even tho I'm under the 50k mile warranty. So they quoted me $385 to fix the key slot. The service department guy told me that eventually my key fobs will drain and I won't be able to start my car due to the batteries inside them dying. Is this true?
Not exactly sure what they're talking about here. From the sounds of it your original key is working normally and you also have an aftermarket keyfob that works as well, is that right? The batteries in the original keyfobs can be replaced in like 2 minutes, they're just CR2032 cells. Maybe the service guy meant something else?
Old 06-08-2017, 06:57 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by dnzx
Not exactly sure what they're talking about here. From the sounds of it your original key is working normally and you also have an aftermarket keyfob that works as well, is that right? The batteries in the original keyfobs can be replaced in like 2 minutes, they're just CR2032 cells. Maybe the service guy meant something else?
Well I'm assuming he meant that the key slot is supposed to charge the battery in the key. He told me that if I don't fix that problem with the key slot that my key will die within the month. I feel as if he was using scare tactics on me. So far I've been contacting other Acura dealers to get a goodwill repair since I'm only 2 days out of the warranty period and still under the 50k.
Old 06-08-2017, 10:49 AM
The inconvenient truth

Received 436 Likes on 322 Posts
Well I'm assuming he meant that the key slot is supposed to charge the battery in the key
Does anyone know if this is true, does the key slot charge the battery in the key? I used the key slot for like the first week of owning my car and haven't used it much since. I bet its been over a month since I've used the key slot. My first thought was that if the battery in the key dies then you should just replace it like you would any battery.
Old 06-08-2017, 10:53 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,582 Likes on 6,629 Posts
I don't think that's how it works. ..
Old 06-08-2017, 12:27 PM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Checked the manual. In the section about the slot, it doesn't state that it charges the key and it even shows you how to change the battery when it gets low with no mention of using the slot
Old 06-08-2017, 12:36 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by dnzx
Checked the manual. In the section about the slot, it doesn't state that it charges the key and it even shows you how to change the battery when it gets low with no mention of using the slot
Just as I thought the dealer was trying to get me. I had a feeling the service guy was a liar. He didn't even wanna give me the $385 for the repair on paper as a quote.
Old 06-12-2017, 01:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 133 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally Posted by dopeboy1
Does anyone know if this is true, does the key slot charge the battery in the key? I used the key slot for like the first week of owning my car and haven't used it much since. I bet its been over a month since I've used the key slot. My first thought was that if the battery in the key dies then you should just replace it like you would any battery.
The slot most definitely does not charge the battery. If the battery is low, you'll be prompted to insert the fob in the slot, but that's not for charging.