Sponsored by: DashLynx

Advice needed...thanks

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2017, 10:49 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice needed...thanks

Hi All,

I'm in the process of buying a 2013 TL Nav with 70k km's.

The dealer has a warranty available that will cover basically everything for the next 4 years. It cost just under $4k Canadian.

Im financing the car for 6 years, so the final two years I'll be without the warranty.

My my calculations show that paying the extra $72 a month x 72 months brings me close to an extra $5100! So after the 4 years is up, any repair costs will be added into what I already paid.

is it worth it? Are the NAV systems reliable, I can't seem to find a source that states it's not.

I figure it might be worth it just to pocket the $72 a month and stash that aside for any repairs that do come up.

I feel like I answered my own question, but would really appreciate anyone's insight.

many thanks!
Old 09-28-2017, 10:52 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
the electronics are trouble free! although the NAV system is outdated...wouldnt worry about electronics at all, unless your car was a flooded vehicle.
the real trouble is the 3.7l and a very tiny percentage of 3.5l engines consuming oil, although...NO real fix for that.

and that's an expensive warranty. if you want the warranty negotiate the price of it
Old 09-28-2017, 12:40 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
the electronics are trouble free! although the NAV system is outdated...wouldnt worry about electronics at all, unless your car was a flooded vehicle.
the real trouble is the 3.7l and a very tiny percentage of 3.5l engines consuming oil, although...NO real fix for that.

and that's an expensive warranty. if you want the warranty negotiate the price of it

awesome, really appreciate your input!
Old 09-28-2017, 04:19 PM
KCCO

Received 192 Likes on 173 Posts
That really doesn't seem worth it. The TL has reliable electronics and a strong drivetrain, so with those km I wouldn't say you would have many problems for a few years, if at all. Then again, one transmission repair could run you thousands, so it might be nice to have a warranty. You will have to decide if it's worth it to you. Take that same money and have your car paid off much sooner.

As justnspace said, those warranties are negotiable. I had talked a salesman down to a 36 month/48k bumper to bumper warranty for 1,300 Canadian.

Last edited by MarcoNorthPolo; 09-28-2017 at 04:23 PM.