Acura's Response to Excessive Oil Consumption

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2019, 10:12 AM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Teddybear
My TL officially failed the test. Service Manager did my last check. I asked him if they would charge the full set labour on top of the warranty repair if I opted for the tensioner and water pump, he said no. They would only charge the additional hour or so. He suspects the parts will take a week or so to come in.

Which dealership? He confirmed timing belt will be replaced as part of the warranty?
Old 04-17-2019, 10:43 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
My TL officially failed the test. Service Manager did my last check. I asked him if they would charge the full set labour on top of the warranty repair if I opted for the tensioner and water pump, he said no. They would only charge the additional hour or so. He suspects the parts will take a week or so to come in.
What was the miles and qt of oil used?
Old 04-19-2019, 11:25 AM
Subsonic

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by cwh82
Which dealership? He confirmed timing belt will be replaced as part of the warranty?
Performance Acura. That's what the SA and his manager said.

Originally Posted by toantran99
What was the miles and qt of oil used?

3.5L in 4700KM
which is 3.7 Quarts in 2900 Miles.

I burned 1.5L the first 2000km, then 1L every 1000km after.

Old 04-24-2019, 09:37 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I registered my car last year on Acura's Owners site, and they used my address and info on file to send me a TSB on the oil consumption. It was a surprise to me that they actually sent me the letter. If you didn't want to wait you could show them the pictures from the start of this thread that has the TSB.

I would start at the Acura's Owners site first just so that you show up in their systems with the VIN on your car. Then go in and ask for an oil consumption test.
Old 04-24-2019, 09:42 PM
9th Gear

I'm in the same boat.

I took my TL in 2 weeks ago for the test and they approved it for the repair. I asked the service manager if he would honor the labor costs of the timing belt, water pump and tensioner since the motor is out of the car anyways and he told me yes to that. I just have to pay for parts and I also asked to do a valve adjustment as well. My car is only at 86-87k but what the heck who would turn down ~$600-800 in free dealership labor?

Did they give you a price for parts? They quoted me around $850 for the timing belt, tensioners, water pump, gaskets, and valve adjustment job with no labor costs.
Old 04-25-2019, 12:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 133 Likes on 108 Posts
One thing that hasn't come up (as far as I can tell), though I've just been reminded of it myself; the letter I received extended the "interim" warranty for 6 months, expiring mid-May. Based on my understanding, this was to allow time to do an oil consumption test. I'm only partway through my test (I'll be checking level this afternoon), but if anyone has not yet started the test, their time is likely up, as unless one fits in the "extended warranty" (8 years or 200,000 km), or one is burning at a really high rate, the test won't be completed before the interim warranty is up. Not sure if a call to Acura will get any traction to get a grace period. Point being, lot of us will be losing some options in the next 20 days.
Old 05-08-2019, 09:27 AM
Subsonic

I'm going in next week for the warranty work. They said they will be replacing the pistons, rings, gaskets/seals, timing belt and spark plugs.
I'm going to opt to replace the tensioner and water pump out of pocket for just under $700 CAD.

Is there anything else i should tell them to replace while they have it all apart? thermostat? oil pump seal?
Old 05-08-2019, 09:51 AM
Pro

Received 114 Likes on 69 Posts
Got approved for repairs. I was burning well over 1.9 Quarts more than I should have.
I drop my car off in about a week. Had to schedule it out because they didn't have enough loaner cars.
Im pretty excited. They may replace my transmission as well, its still under warranty and not smooth, at all. That would be a dream come true.
Rebuilt engine and transmission....yum. Anyway, We shall see if this fix will also relieve the eternal rattle on acceleration everyone has and cant figure out.
The following users liked this post:
dopeboy1 (05-09-2019)
Old 05-08-2019, 12:11 PM
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by mrphilipanderson
Got approved for repairs. I was burning well over 1.9 Quarts more than I should have.
I drop my car off in about a week. Had to schedule it out because they didn't have enough loaner cars.
Im pretty excited. They may replace my transmission as well, its still under warranty and not smooth, at all. That would be a dream come true.
Rebuilt engine and transmission....yum. Anyway, We shall see if this fix will also relieve the eternal rattle on acceleration everyone has and cant figure out.
I don't want to get your hopes up too high, but the rattle on acceleration (pinging) has completely disappeared for me. It must have been pulling timing when it used to happen too, because the butt dyno says the car is stronger now - and I am NOT one to jump to conclusions early.

I only had my piston rings replaced, not the entire short block. Hope you have the same results.
Old 05-08-2019, 04:08 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by meowmeows
I don't want to get your hopes up too high, but the rattle on acceleration (pinging) has completely disappeared for me. It must have been pulling timing when it used to happen too, because the butt dyno says the car is stronger now - and I am NOT one to jump to conclusions early.

I only had my piston rings replaced, not the entire short block. Hope you have the same results.
What the heck is a butt dyno?
Old 05-08-2019, 04:23 PM
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
It's the only way most of us have at home to gauge the performance of our vehicles - the seat of the pants.
Old 05-08-2019, 04:24 PM
The inconvenient truth

Received 435 Likes on 321 Posts
Originally Posted by mrphilipanderson
What the heck is a butt dyno?
It means in his opinion the car feels stronger (faster) aka butt dyno
Old 05-09-2019, 10:25 AM
The inconvenient truth

Went in today for the third oil top up and completion of the test. The paperwork says on average its burning a liter of oil every 1174 km. Was expecting them to say they will fix it and order the parts etc.

Instead they said okay the test is done now bring in all the oil change records and we will sent it to cooperate to decide. Oh and also if it is approved the parts are on backorder.

So the process continues....
Old 05-09-2019, 12:30 PM
Pro

That straight up BS how they handled that.
1. did your car consume more oil than what Acura deems normal?
2. If so, then you automatically qualify for the fix. There is no Acura deciding.
They leave that part up to the techs and they trust their judgement. Every dealership
seems to operate by their own rules and policies
Old 05-09-2019, 01:12 PM
The inconvenient truth

Oh I agree its bs. They originally told me if it burnt 1 litre in 1500km or less it would be an automatic fix no questions asked. Now that its done and under 1500km per liter they are saying they need the service records no matter what (I asked to speak with the manager and thats what he said). Wish I would have known that and I would have got them ready far in advance. They wouldn't give me a number anymore for what qualifies for the fix. I also called Acura corporate and they wouldn't give me a number either. They basically said do what the dealership asks, the dealership is just covering their bases etc.

So whatever I will get them the records and go from there.
Old 05-09-2019, 04:06 PM
Pro

I would either go to another dealer, making appointment with the Service manager...
take test results there... Or speak with the service manager and explain how this is unacceptable.
There are acura customers worldwide that are getting these repairs with minimal effort done...
If your car has an inherent defect it should be fixed! Is it ths Actual Service manager that giving you all this grief?
Old 05-09-2019, 04:49 PM
The inconvenient truth

Thing is that this dealership is a 5 minute drive from my house and the next nearest acura dealer is a 1.5hour drive. So im a little stuck with this one.

The service adviser told me I need to bring the oil change records and I was asking why is that necessary when you've done the test and know my car qualifies for the extended warranty. So she got the service manager and he said to me that no matter how much oil it burns he needs the records to get cooperates approval. They did say I only need to provide the records since I've owned the car because it was not serviced at a dealership. I said I didn't think the records were relevant since you know my car has defective oil control rings but I have them and will get them. I also told them they made no mention of needing the records before and if they had I would have brought them with me.

Its weird because they were really nice and easy going in the begging. Probably they thought my car didn't burn much oil. Then after the first and second oil top up and they realized it burns a lot of oil, their tone changed and I sensed they were going to look for any excuse not to honor the warranty.

I'm assuming its because my car is modified and I never get my car serviced at the dealership. Actually I was surprised they didn't say no right away due to my modified exhaust. But now I have their oil change and inspection paperwork where they said the car is fine, no leaks no problems. I feel like that will come in handy in the future.

Anyways this is all speculation they may take the records and do the fix without any problems. I've got an abundance of service records including all oil changes. It won't be until next week that im able to bring them over there.
Old 05-09-2019, 05:09 PM
Pro

I would have filed claim on this with Client Relations. Notifying them your car failed the oil consumption test in response to their letter.
And you feel you receiving undue resistance in the dealership honoring the result of your test. ask them to please step in.,
Old 05-09-2019, 05:24 PM
The inconvenient truth

I'll bring them the records and see what happens first. Unfortunately when I called corporate I basically said that and corporate seemed eager to back up the dealership and did confirm I needed to provide oil change records.

That will be my next option. I'm still optimistic they will do the repair.
Old 05-09-2019, 05:29 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by dopeboy1
I'll bring them the records and see what happens first. Unfortunately when I called corporate I basically said that and corporate seemed eager to back up the dealership and did confirm I needed to provide oil change records.

That will be my next option. I'm still optimistic they will do the repair.
The part that gets me is, what could oil change records show them? That doesn't negate the fact the car has symptoms of high oil consumption due to carbon build up on the O-rings.
Would oil changes Directly Effect that?

nonetheless hopefully you're organized and can provide them with what they've asked. I have a 5" binder with every single receipt of every service done on this car....ever. Acura Service people make fun of me. But Its my defense.
Old 05-10-2019, 07:42 AM
Subsonic

My dealer didn't ask for my oil change records, but they did say that "corporate had to approve". They said they needed to send in the oil consumption rate from the test.
They deemed a fail as 3L burned within the oil change life. Mine burned around 1L per 1000km, but only after the first 1000-1500km. So my test lasted 4500km.

Before i started the test, i called 3 dealers to ask about their procedure for the test, and i went to the one that didn't sound sleezy about it. (ie, saying i had to pay for oil top ups, pay $xxx for visual inspections, etc).
Old 05-10-2019, 10:20 AM
The inconvenient truth

My dealer didn't ask for my oil change records, but they did say that "corporate had to approve". They said they needed to send in the oil consumption rate from the test.
They deemed a fail as 3L burned within the oil change life. Mine burned around 1L per 1000km, but only after the first 1000-1500km. So my test lasted 4500km.

Before i started the test, i called 3 dealers to ask about their procedure for the test, and i went to the one that didn't sound sleezy about it. (ie, saying i had to pay for oil top ups, pay $xxx for visual inspections, etc).
That's what surprised me is that I burnt 3 liters in 3750 km yet they still want oil change records. Actually it burnt even more because they overfilled every time. The burning got worse as the oil got older. 1st liter 1500km, second liter 1250 km third was 1000km.

Seems like an open and shut case. But truly every dealership is different. They only charged me for the oil change, nothing for top ups or the inspection. I can't help but wonder what would happen if I didn't have the oil change records.
Old 05-15-2019, 01:01 PM
Cruisin'

Just came back from the dealer (Hinshaw's Acura Fife, WA) for the 1st 1K miles and found out that my TL is part of the Excessive Oil Consumption recall. The SA came over carrying a thick binder which he mentioned contains the list of cars that will need to be serviced. The earliest schedule that was offered to me is on Sept 16th. SA told me before I left to continue checking the oil level and add more oil if it dips below the line. I'll probably bring up the Timing Belt Service (91K and counting) when I come in this September and see if they give me a discount!
Old 05-15-2019, 01:16 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by ekisPinoy
Just came back from the dealer (Hinshaw's Acura Fife, WA) for the 1st 1K miles and found out that my TL is part of the Excessive Oil Consumption recall. The SA came over carrying a thick binder which he mentioned contains the list of cars that will need to be serviced. The earliest schedule that was offered to me is on Sept 16th. SA told me before I left to continue checking the oil level and add more oil if it dips below the line. I'll probably bring up the Timing Belt Service (91K and counting) when I come in this September and see if they give me a discount!
The word is These are controlled parts, meaning they arent manufacturing a surplus, so its offered for a limited time and once their gone, they are gone. Congrats on making the list. You will easily add 5 years of life to your car provided everyth8ing else in tact
ekisPinoy (05-15-2019)
Old 05-15-2019, 01:50 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have to come for 2nd measurement and this time car hasn't burned much oil at all. Not sure if its all worth it or not. First time they try to weasel out of it and tell me it only burned 1 quart whether tech had to add 1.3 qt..
Old 05-15-2019, 01:54 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Maks
I have to come for 2nd measurement and this time car hasn't burned much oil at all. Not sure if its all worth it or not. First time they try to weasel out of it and tell me it only burned 1 quart whether tech had to add 1.3 qt..
Drive the car in Sport mode. That seemed to use more oil for me and seemed to exacerbate the symptoms. Your dealer should be allowing you about 1500 miles to manifest oil consumption...
Worst case Scenario, drain oil yourself out of it and go there. LOLOL Using one of those Ciphon pumps, they are like 9 bucks on amazon.
SAYPHONSCOTT (05-21-2019)
Old 05-16-2019, 01:06 PM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
J pipe and cat to back exhaust

Hello, I was wondering if having a j-pipe and a full cat-back exhaust would be a problem going through the oil consumption test at all? I am about half way through the test and after talking to my buddy mechanic about it, he said that the aftermarket parts may cause a problem with the dealership with the test. Stating that they may say it’s because of the aftermarket parts that it is burning oil just to not fix the problem. Now I am worried. Has anyone had their car failed and fix with these parts still installed? I would hate to take off the parts and have to put the stock parts back on but if I have to I will. Thank you.
Old 05-16-2019, 01:28 PM
Pro

it all depends on the dealership, however they will seek any reason that place you at fault for the high consumption rate. Its about a 5k Job. Someone has to pay for it...why not the customer?
Does your modification cause high oil consumption?
Old 05-16-2019, 01:35 PM
Cruisin'

I am not sure that the aftermarket parts are causing the high oil consumption. As soon as I bought the car a year ago within a month I had the parts bought and installed. After doing my own oil test, it does burn about a quart of oil per 1000 miles.
Old 05-16-2019, 03:12 PM
Subsonic

Originally Posted by SAYPHONSCOTT
Hello, I was wondering if having a j-pipe and a full cat-back exhaust would be a problem going through the oil consumption test at all? I am about half way through the test and after talking to my buddy mechanic about it, he said that the aftermarket parts may cause a problem with the dealership with the test. Stating that they may say it’s because of the aftermarket parts that it is burning oil just to not fix the problem. Now I am worried. Has anyone had their car failed and fix with these parts still installed? I would hate to take off the parts and have to put the stock parts back on but if I have to I will. Thank you.
I would say it's fairly dealer dependent.... with that being said, my jpipe is on. My oem one actually disintegrated at the top of the flex pipe. I had no clue until we took it out to put in the RV6.
If you had engine mods, i would take those off..... But exhaust or even intake should be relatively safe.
SAYPHONSCOTT (05-16-2019)
Old 05-16-2019, 04:25 PM
Cruisin'

I have no engine mods but a drop-in K&N filter. I just hope they won’t give me any problems about it.
Old 05-16-2019, 04:28 PM
The inconvenient truth

Originally Posted by SAYPHONSCOTT
I did the test and failed the test with RV6 j-pipe and RV6 High flow precats installed. Dealership didn't say a word about them (they did an inspection with the oil change). But im also waiting to hear back from them to know if im approved for the fix. Will update once I hear from them

If they did say anything to you I would tell them that it burnt just as much oil before the parts were installed and exhaust parts have nothing to do with defective oil control rings.
SAYPHONSCOTT (05-16-2019)
Old 05-16-2019, 05:13 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks Teddybear and dopeboy1 for the info. Dopeboy1 please keep us updated if they did approved the fix. I will also keep y’all posted on my situation as soon as I get word. Thank you.
Old 05-17-2019, 06:50 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stopped by yesterday for the second measurement and the car did not burn much oil.Service manager said that corporate changed their policy and will approve vehicles for repair after it fails the first time. First time it burned 1.3 Qts in 995 miles. Repair is about a month out and they have one vehicle in front of me, so I just have to wait for the call to bring my TL in!
Old 05-17-2019, 07:08 AM
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by vucelick
Failed oil consumption 1000 mile test today. Dealer said he had to order parts, but that he was 6-9 months backed up? Sounds like a line to me.
Still have not heard anything from spokane acura regarding the time to take my car in for repair. I called and talked to the service manager yesterday, he said i am on the 2nd of 2 lists, the first list has 20-30 cars on the list and it will likely be 2 or 3 more months. I ask him if if would be done before the end of the summer, he said "hopefully we can get it done because the recall expires in september and we want to get you in before that" I said i have already been approved by acura right? he said yes. He made it sound like the repair had to be completed before the offfer expired. I am sure he knew better, but did not get a good feel, as there has been no communication from them for months now to get me scheduled.
Old 05-17-2019, 01:56 PM
Advanced

I waited a month and my SA finally contacted me to bring the car in next Monday for the repair.
Old 05-19-2019, 01:00 AM
1st Gear

Just thought I would share my experience on getting this warranty done

First off, I should mention I'm in Canada.

I brought my vehicle in for an oil change to run an oil consumption test. The dealer said they would need to see my vehicle burn 1L of oil within 1500KM (lowest point on the dipstick)

My vehicle failed the test so the dealer said they would apply the service bulletin under warranty.

Beware that parts are backordered everywhere so good luck to everyone.

I pulled some strings to get my car ahead of everyone else because I was tired of waiting after 3 months and numerous visits to the dealer for top ups (no charge).

I got my car back yesterday so it's still too early to tell if the issue is actually fixed but I will post an update later on

New pistons, rings, timing belt, spark plugs, and various gaskets replaced under warranty. I paid for the water pump and tensioner, thermostat, and drive belt. I was initially told it would only be half an hour of labor out of my pocket but I think I was charged 1.5HR which I didn't argue because it's still cheaper than doing a full timing job.
Old 05-21-2019, 12:53 PM
The inconvenient truth

My car has been approved for the repair. They expect to get me done in about 2 weeks. They will call with the exact date to bring it in.
Old 05-21-2019, 12:55 PM
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by dopeboy1
My car has been approved for the repair. They expect to get me done in about 2 weeks. They will call with the exact date to bring it in.
Did they ask for service records?
Old 05-21-2019, 04:32 PM
The inconvenient truth

Originally Posted by Unknownerror0010011
Did they ask for service records?
Yes they did. They only wanted the oil change records since I've owned the car. Which I brought to them before they would approve the repair.

I did tell them before I bought the car, it was serviced at an Acura dealership in Quebec (I live in Ontario). I have no idea if they looked into that or not.

Quick Reply: Acura's Response to Excessive Oil Consumption