4G TL (2009-2014)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Is Acura trying to STEAL my TL away from me??

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 01:54 PM
WDP 4G

Received 75 Likes on 67 Posts
I know a friend who gets letters from Rallye Acura all the time asking him to trade his car in for a good deal on a new Acura because his car is in high demand(type S that is). Is this the dealer you bought from originally?
Old 04-02-2011, 03:00 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Cap'n Preshoot
Understood completely. 805 myself and I didn't get to this point in life by making foolish decisions. We raised 7 children and all were taught the same lesson, unfortunately only 1 listened and today has his law degree.
Well be proud of the one who learned and the rest might take a little longer. I'm batting 500 with one who is very good if not better with money then I and the other changing over his garage faster then I turn over my ties, dress shirts and suits in my closet. A car is no asset unless it's a classic collecter sitting in the garage where you take it out on a sunny day for a quick run or admired while in the garage with an extra Dry Belvedere Dirty Martini with 3 bleu cheese olives.
Old 04-02-2011, 05:01 PM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Wow, that does sound fishy. I traded in my '05 non-Nav Base TL with 82k miles last month at an Acura dealer, and got $10,000 for it. Take it to CarMax, get their 'sell' offer and then use that to help counter what the dealer is offering. That's what I did.

Last edited by atruedsgb; 04-02-2011 at 05:10 PM. Reason: improved punctuation.
Old 04-02-2011, 05:16 PM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by ggesq
Yes, they are trying to steal your car. Try and negotiate more for it or leave. Sell it privately or find a different dealer.
Sorry but I disagree. While the offer is admittedly low, the mileage is shockingly high. The dealer has some prep costs (both mechanical as well as cosmetic) in making it ready for sale. At 90K there's already some major required work due that has to be done before it can be re-sold at retail. It may also need tires. I think it's possible (if not likely) with that high of mileage on a 2007 that the dealer won't waste time fooling with it and will take it straight to the auction as-is and dump it. High mileage on an old car is expected. On an otherwise reasonably new model high mileage is a huge wart that makes it tough to sell unless they're really short of cars on their used lot. It being a Type-S certainly helps but that mileage keeps coming back to haunt a would-be buyer. To compensate, the dealer will have to offer some kind of minimal warranty. - and yes, the dealer is entitled to a reasonable profit.

I agree that you should get one or two additional "buy-bids", just remember there's a payoff owed on it making it hard to sell it outright, because you can't give the buyer a clear title. You acknowledged early-on in this thread that you know you have negative equity, the only thing we're disputing is how much.

"Go for it, go for it" is the sideline cheer of inexperience and foolishness. - The cheering section doesn't have to make the payments, you do.

Last edited by Cap'n Preshoot; 04-02-2011 at 05:20 PM.
Old 04-02-2011, 05:57 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They don't call them "stealerships" for nothing.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:18 PM
2012 TL SH-AWD Advance

Hi,

First off you need to get them to lower the price of the new car ~ 43,360 (includes dest). That's $1,285 less than the price they offered you.

Do not take a penny less than $17,000 for your trade. If its clean even with 90k miles it's worth that all day long.

Assuming the prices above and 5k down you would be looking at roughly $707 a month for 60 @ 2.9 apr. (using 6% tax not sure what it is in your area)

Contact every dealer around you by email regardless of if they have the car you want or not. Figure out what they are willing to give you for trade and work from there. You need to play them off each other. Hopefully you have a bunch of dealers close to you.
Old 04-02-2011, 07:50 PM
Instructor

Right now, just 2 weeks after the initial release, no one is doing much if any discounting on 2012's, particularly SH-AWD models. They're still in very short supply.

Your present car (your trade-in) is not worth a penny more than you can sell it for. You might do better by going to CarMax, but if you've got the hots for something that's on the lot right now, it may not be there tomorrow.

The dealer can also sense your anxious desire to have that new one, placing you in a very poor bargaining position. He knows you want that car some kind'a bad & are laying awake nights thinking about it. Trust me, he knows.

So you have to ask yourself, as bad as you want it, is it really worth 800+ a month and going in hock up to your eyeballs, leveraging your life for the next 5 whole years? - also think for just a moment how you're going to feel 10 or 12 payments from now or when the 2013 comes out.

Last edited by Cap'n Preshoot; 04-02-2011 at 07:53 PM.
Old 04-02-2011, 08:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by erick3
okay, i'm not experienced in this sort of financing at all - i have my folks typically come down during vehicle purchases to talk logistics. despite, the 10k for your TL-S doesn't sound too far-fetched. if it's not a number you want to hear, then push for some more money. if not, haggle more for them to bring down the price on that 2012. you CAN get it for invoice - absolutely, 100%. just push push push! if it takes you getting up and leaving, then do it. it took me 3 months to get the price i wanted for my infiniti; i'm really not the patient type (make sure to bring your alter ego). best way to do your negotiations is to bring other dealerships into the equation (the reason my infiniti took so long was because we only have 2 proximal infiniti dealers in washington, both owned by the same owner).

good luck!

edit: sounds like you already have your decision. i was unaware of your future child! congratulations man! a newborn truly turns everything upside down (in a good way). our family, well my brother, just had his first daughter! again, congratulations....and good luck lol

PS for all you financial gurus out there - i was told when purchasing my infiniti that my credit score was just shy of being able to PURCHASE the car (750+). i've always considered myself to be in good standing in terms of credit (apparently not...?). my dad co-signed (extremely good credit from what i've heard), and as it turns out, we were qualified for 0.0% apr. should i see an increase in my own personal credit score after the payments are through with the car? the car is under my name...
Agreed. Sometimes you need to get up and walk out of the little room. Also, Winsrtolvtech is on the money. "Also the credit score is not as much of an issue as it seems. He qualifies for Acura's best rates on the vehicle (2.9% for 60 months), ..." I recently looked at refinancing the TL to a lower rate (3.9% Acura Financial Used) but no one has a better rate right now (State Farm offered me 3.49% but 1/2 a percent isn't worth it). 2.9% is good, but Acura may offer a better rate next month as more inventory starts to move. The point is there is nothing wrong with the OP trading up for something better. Sure (OP) keep the Type S if you want, but don't take any shit from these guys about being in a hole...you are not.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:26 PM
Moneyman2011

Originally Posted by Mr Marco
Agreed. Sometimes you need to get up and walk out of the little room. Also, Winsrtolvtech is on the money. "Also the credit score is not as much of an issue as it seems. He qualifies for Acura's best rates on the vehicle (2.9% for 60 months), ..." I recently looked at refinancing the TL to a lower rate (3.9% Acura Financial Used) but no one has a better rate right now (State Farm offered me 3.49% but 1/2 a percent isn't worth it). 2.9% is good, but Acura may offer a better rate next month as more inventory starts to move. The point is there is nothing wrong with the OP trading up for something better. Sure (OP) keep the Type S if you want, but don't take any shit from these guys about being in a hole...you are not.

It is time to keep your car for another two years and then trade up when you put some more down to keep your payment under control. I traded my 04 TL Navi with 156,000 and negotiated $4,000 trade in value. I owed nothing, so that plus I put down $11,500 and also negotiated my sale price via www.truecar.com for my 2011 TL SH-AWD Tech auto for about $38,000 (just under). My 60 month payment with .09% Acura financing is $434. My total financing costs are $618 for the life of the loan.
Old 04-02-2011, 10:41 PM
Colorado Springs

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts
My advice...

1. If you don't want to do private party sale, do carmax. They offered us $20,500 on a 2010 accord ( owed 21,500) meanwhile a Honda dealership offered us 18,800. In 2 months (after 2 more payments) we sold it for 21,200 and only owed 20,600 on it with a private party via craigslist.

2. Be upfront with the dealership that you know dealer invoice and don't want to go over it. If they toss b.s. Your way that they don't haggle, be polite and say you don't need it that bad. Then leave.

3. Wait more into the summer when gas gets more expensive. Less people will be buying premium car that take premium and the dealership will get more desperate.
Old 04-03-2011, 01:20 AM
Cruisin'

I just helped my grandparents purchase their new BMW 528i, and I can tell you that having multiple quotes from various dealers helps a lot. Also truecar.com will show you a target price as well as actual prices others have paid in your area. Always ask to see the invoice price, and work from there not from MSRP. If they won't show you the invoice, thank them and say your TL still knows its way home and leave. As for trade, as long as the dealer knows you still owe money on it, they will never give you what it is worth...simple as that.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:08 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Dealers are such pricks with trade-ins. I hate it when they use KBB to sell a car for a higher price, then turn around and tell you your car isn't worth the KBB "Trade-in Value". What a bunch of crap. The trade-in value is set by actual trade-in prices that other dealers paid. Next time I hear "Your car just isn't worth that much money anymore" or "KBB is way off the mark, we don't use it." I'm going to tell them I will just take my business to a dealer that does.
Agreed. ALso with new car sales picking up I would suspect most dealers have more used cars than they want right now. When new car sales were down used car sales were up and it was easier to get rid of your old car. I have the same problem right now. I am getting insane low ball numbers on my M37S so I'll be stuck with it at least another year. I am yearning to get back into a TL.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:16 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by eazy
I know a friend who gets letters from Rallye Acura all the time asking him to trade his car in for a good deal on a new Acura because his car is in high demand(type S that is). Is this the dealer you bought from originally?
I get those BS letters from the local acura dealer all the time. Except it is for my tsx.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:20 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Walk away buddy before you get the numbers mixed up and sign 5-6 years of your life away.

Sell your TL on autotrader, pay it off.

Come back and buy your dream TL.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:41 AM
1999 TL

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The trade in value of your 90K 2007 TL-S should be around $15K. They are definitely screwing you over by offering 10K.
On the flip side you will screwing yourself over with $834 a month which is a waste of money considering you are planning to get a brand new TL. You do realize it will depreciate about 20% as soon as you drive it off the lot? So that's like burning $8K in a few seconds. Then when the 2014 TL comes around you will complain about the trade in offered for your 2012 TL. There is no end to spending money which you do not have since you are trying to finance. Why not put that $834 into a college fund for the child you are expecting?
What's the point of spending money which you do not have; trying to buying things you do not need; to impress people you do not care about?

Originally Posted by kingmiller82
Hello all, I have a few questions about me "Possibly" buying a 2012 TL SH-AWD Advance!!

You guys may remember me from the Lexus Is-F vs 2012 TL Thread, but after talks with my wife and my first born will be here in 4 weeks we have decided on a 2012 TL or an 2011 MDX.

Ok, so I am at the Acura Dealership, I was approved to be financed by Acura/Honda. They asked if I was trading in anything so I said yea, my 2007 TL Type S. They wanted me to come down and do an appraisal on it. Ok, while i am down there doing paper work, a guy is checking my car, and test driving it. The 2012 MSRP was $45,945 they gave me a $1,300 Courtesy Discount bringing it down to $44,645.

He gave me two interest rates, either 2.9% for 60 months or 4.9% for 72 months.

He is the sad part. My Type S had exactly 90,000 on it when I got there 3 days ago, It's flawless inside and out. I owe $16,500 on it. Well the Stealership said because of the Mileage they can only give me $10,000 for it!!!!!!!!! That blew my mind, I knew it would be negative equity but not that much!!!

I told them before they assessed it, that I would put down $5,000, so they will be roughly financing me about $39,645.

The other kicker is my monthy Payments!!!

$904 x 60 Months
$834 x 72 Months

Overall I am thinking they are trying to screw me all the way around on this deal.

What do you guys think? My credit is good not great, they pulled from my experian credit score which is a 695. And when I bought my 2007 Infiniti M45 and was financed $55K My monthly payments was that of $750 x 72 months and these creeps asking for 834 for 72 months???

What do you guys think? If you was in this situation, how would you handle it and what would you say while negotiating??

Thanks

Last edited by acurator99; 04-03-2011 at 08:48 AM.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:26 AM
2012 TL SH-AWD Advance

He is only at $834 because of the low ball trade. If he gets market value for his trade his payments will be a lot lower.

Originally Posted by acurator99
The trade in value of your 90K 2007 TL-S should be around $15K. They are definitely screwing you over by offering 10K.
On the flip side you will screwing yourself over with $834 a month which is a waste of money considering you are planning to get a brand new TL. You do realize it will depreciate about 20% as soon as you drive it off the lot? So that's like burning $8K in a few seconds. Then when the 2014 TL comes around you will complain about the trade in offered for your 2012 TL. There is no end to spending money which you do not have since you are trying to finance. Why not put that $834 into a college fund for the child you are expecting?
What's the point of spending money which you do not have; trying to buying things you do not need; to impress people you do not care about?
Old 04-03-2011, 10:31 AM
Advanced

Some more "fatherly" advice... I'll turn 65 next month, so I think this qualifies me

With a new baby on the way, my opinion is that an MDX would make a hellouvalot more sense than a TL. The TL is an "I-Wanna" whereas the MDX is an "I-Needa".

But more importantly, the bottom line is this: can you really afford either? From what you've told us, I don't think so.

As for your credit score, these vary depending on who it comes from (Experian, TRW, etc) but 695 is no doubt the reason you couldn't get better financing. What lenders are subtly telling you is you're not, as the fine print in the TV ads says, "a qualified buyer". In terms more easily understood, they're telling you that you have champaign tastes on a beer budget. You're also upside-down on your trade-in, meaning you'll be financing not only the entire price of the new car, but an additional $6500 on top of that (minus the $5k cash down).

Your trade-in is what it is. You'll probably get more for it selling it outright, but if you do then you'll lose the sales tax credit. To explain, if the trade-in value is $10,000 and your state sales tax rate is 7%, trading it in will reduce the sales tax on the new car by $700 (because you're only charged sales tax on the difference). In other words, if you're able to sell it for $1000 more than the dealer's offer, your net gain is only $300, not the $1000. Selling it outright also means you'll have to pay it off. Do you have $16,500 laying around? Probably not. (selling it yourself is also a royal P.I.T.A.)

What's your present job status (likelihood of continued employment)? What shape is your employer in? Does your wife work (or otherwise contribute to the family income)? How stable is her job? With a new baby, either she stays home to care for it or you start forking out cubic dollars for child care. How would a loss of either your or her job affect your ability to pay your rent or house note + a huge car note and still be able to put food on the table? (do you really want the car that badly?)

A 2007 TL with 90,000 on it is very high mileage. First of all, it's out of warranty. Secondly, it's only 30,000 miles away from requiring MAJOR engine servicing (timing belt) plus whatever it's currently due for. Thirdly, with the 2012's on the lot it means your 2007 just had another birthday. The reality is it's now 5 years old, not 4. Personally, without trying to insult you, I think a $10,000 offer was fair.

Without seeing the "big picture", just from what you've told us I really don't see you as someone who is in any position to be considering a new car, certainly not one that's $45k. I also would not (never-ever) consider re-financing a car I'm already upside-down on. I'd say wait until at least a year after the baby is here and then reexamine your financial situation.
I appreciate the advice, it was great advice indeed!!! Make a whole lot of since, though I don't agree with the part of my car only being worth $10,000 whether it's 4 or 5 years old. This same dealership back in March/April of 2007 took my trade in for a 2003 tl type s, was in great condition except for the long key scratch coming from my drivers side front fender to my rear drivers side door. At that time, my car had 106,000 miles on it, and guess what, they gave me $9800 for the trade in!!! Now this is pretty much the same exact situation, trading in a 4-5 year old car, this time with 16,000 miles less and they are offering me $200 more? I know times has changed, economy, what banks lend, etc, but come on, I am trying to trade in what acura says is the best selling generation they built!! It's robbery, I know they want to make a buck off the trade but come on.

As far as my financial background goes, I am pretty stable, I say pretty because nothing is promised, but I work for a great company, and made my first 6 figure salary at the age of 25 (Petroleum Engineer), and my wife is currently out of work, and this is my first child, so it'll be a great new experience. I drive over 45 miles one way and in the North East we get hit pretty hard with snow storms, so The MDX and TL AWD was another thing that caught my attention. Like my Infiniti I was making, double and every few months triple payments on my car, I purchased that brand new out the show room as well.

Everyone makes great since in this thread, I appreciate it all,and I think I will hold on to this bad boy for another year, (I believe I will have it paid off by Xmas) and go from there, I like this forum because there are many people with so much knowledge and I come to you guys for the best advice and Is never let down!!!

Thanks All
Old 04-03-2011, 10:33 AM
Advanced

Dealers are such pricks with trade-ins. I hate it when they use KBB to sell a car for a higher price, then turn around and tell you your car isn't worth the KBB "Trade-in Value". What a bunch of crap. The trade-in value is set by actual trade-in prices that other dealers paid. Next time I hear "Your car just isn't worth that much money anymore" or "KBB is way off the mark, we don't use it." I'm going to tell them I will just take my business to a dealer that does.

Old 04-03-2011, 10:42 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by wakattack
A quick review of auto trader with TL-s from 2007

15,000 87k miles Private Seller
18,000 75k miles
18,000 86k miles private seller
19,500 51k miles
19,500 89k miles
19,900 73k miles
20,000 76k miles
20,000 73k miles
20,000 73k miles

If your car is in very good shape, I would think you could get $14 TO $15K for it on the used market.

Technically they should give you about that for your trade in, but you have two things working against you, the mileage and the type S. The mass amount of people are just looking for a TL, and not the S, so it's a smaller percentage of buyers, also the higher mileage cars tend to sit on the lots longer. I would think auction prices are about 5k off of the 19,500 which is about $13500 to $14500 for your car. So they are low balling you, but it's probably hard for them to move your car.

I would list it for $15500 and see if you get any bites.

I actually prefer the TL over the MDX for a small family. Better fuel economy, and it's a safer vehicle. The MDX is pretty rough on fuel. I do like the storage space and third row seating on the MDX though.
Great find, I think if I decide to pull the trigger I would end up selling it privately, people are intitled to their own opinions but to say my car is only worth 10k, yes that is an insult.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:48 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by winstrolvtec
It makes perfect sense to get a new car with an addition to the family coming, a car with 90k miles on it, payments on it still being made, and no warranty. I don't believe the finances are a question here, in this situation the OP already ownes and is paying for a TLS, which is not much cheaper. My SH actually costs me less than my 07 TLS, same terms and conditions, money down, etc.

True, it would be better for everyone to just get by with less expensive livestyles and try to save as much as possible but that's not really how things work (not that I agree with that) and if he is willing to put down $5k and can pay, that's his decision. Speaking from experience, he already has the payment for the TLS and if things start going wrong mechanically, it needs brakes and tires, and/or you have to pay for an expensive extended warranty, sometimes it's not a bad thing or necessarily more expensive (short term), to get a new car.

The issue is the trade in and it is low. There is no reason, considering the OP is willing to pay almost full sticker on a newly released car, that the dealer can't eat the payoff and just finance him the new car, worst case, $13k is respectable number for trade in, not $10k. They just smell blood in the water.

Also the credit score is not as much of an issue as it seems. He qualifies for Acura's best rates on the vehicle (2.9% for 60 months), so it seems it's actually a non issue.

Instead of just trying to get him away from buying a new car, which in itself is not bad advice but why not also lend some advice on how to make the situation to buy one better?
Thank WIN, I appreciate that, some who gives advise forgets about the original question of the thread. Correct, I was approved for 2.9% Interest. If they wasn't trying to rip me off with the trade, my car note would be much less than what I currently am paying on the 2007, plus I'll have warranties etc!!

By the way to all, They pulled from my Middle Score, Transunion is my Highest at 720 as of 3/21/2011, I don't have poor credit as some are trying to make it..
Old 04-03-2011, 10:51 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by eazy

Unfortunately No, I actually get my car serviced at a local Honda Dealership, and they ALWAYS send me letters with my Mileage and offers more than the worth of the car, ONLY if I buy a new honda from their Stealership, thing is, I want and Acura, not a Honda
Old 04-03-2011, 10:57 AM
Advanced

Right now, just 2 weeks after the initial release, no one is doing much if any discounting on 2012's, particularly SH-AWD models. They're still in very short supply.

Your present car (your trade-in) is not worth a penny more than you can sell it for. You might do better by going to CarMax, but if you've got the hots for something that's on the lot right now, it may not be there tomorrow.

The dealer can also sense your anxious desire to have that new one, placing you in a very poor bargaining position. He knows you want that car some kind'a bad & are laying awake nights thinking about it. Trust me, he knows.

So you have to ask yourself, as bad as you want it, is it really worth 800+ a month and going in hock up to your eyeballs, leveraging your life for the next 5 whole years? - also think for just a moment how you're going to feel 10 or 12 payments from now or when the 2013 comes out.

LOL I was thinking the same Cap'n about when the 2013 is released but he...
Old 04-03-2011, 10:57 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by RedHOT
Hi,

First off you need to get them to lower the price of the new car ~ 43,360 (includes dest). That's $1,285 less than the price they offered you.

Do not take a penny less than $17,000 for your trade. If its clean even with 90k miles it's worth that all day long.

Assuming the prices above and 5k down you would be looking at roughly $707 a month for 60 @ 2.9 apr. (using 6% tax not sure what it is in your area)

Contact every dealer around you by email regardless of if they have the car you want or not. Figure out what they are willing to give you for trade and work from there. You need to play them off each other. Hopefully you have a bunch of dealers close to you.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:18 AM
Instructor

As far as my financial background goes, I am pretty stable, I say pretty because nothing is promised, but I work for a great company, and made my first 6 figure salary at the age of 25 (Petroleum Engineer), and my wife is currently out of work, and this is my first child, so it'll be a great new experience. Thanks All
Okay OT, but we've already digressed so let me close with the following final comment (fatherly advice):

A 6-figure salary combined with a sub-700 FICO score with all payments otherwise on time/never late, tends to suggest you are a little over-extended, i.e., carrying too high of balances owing in relation to your "credit limit". Specifically any credit cards with individual outstanding balances of more than 50% of the credit line are very damaging to one's FICO score. Also opening or having "too many" credit cards or lines of credit is equally damaging. You should have no more than 2 major credit cards total, not two each... Similarly, moving balances around to avail yourself of lower interest rates is another black mark. Revolving credit accounts at furniture and clothing stores, i.e., getting the store's credit card because they offer you 10% off on the first purchase is FICO Score Suicide. Don't do it, even if they offer your first purchase totally free.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:36 AM
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts
Sorry but I disagree. While the offer is admittedly low, the mileage is shockingly high. The dealer has some prep costs (both mechanical as well as cosmetic) in making it ready for sale. At 90K there's already some major required work due that has to be done before it can be re-sold at retail. It may also need tires. I think it's possible (if not likely) with that high of mileage on a 2007 that the dealer won't waste time fooling with it and will take it straight to the auction as-is and dump it. High mileage on an old car is expected. On an otherwise reasonably new model high mileage is a huge wart that makes it tough to sell unless they're really short of cars on their used lot. It being a Type-S certainly helps but that mileage keeps coming back to haunt a would-be buyer. To compensate, the dealer will have to offer some kind of minimal warranty. - and yes, the dealer is entitled to a reasonable profit.

I agree that you should get one or two additional "buy-bids", just remember there's a payoff owed on it making it hard to sell it outright, because you can't give the buyer a clear title. You acknowledged early-on in this thread that you know you have negative equity, the only thing we're disputing is how much.

"Go for it, go for it" is the sideline cheer of inexperience and foolishness. - The cheering section doesn't have to make the payments, you do.

I agree with the above statement regarding the mileage. I worked in dealerships for over 20 years and I can tell you from experience that, at least at our stores, we would simply send your car to auction. Too many miles. At least at a new car store, it is hard to push a car on the used car lot with that sort of mileage. While many have stated this fact already, I'm going to mention it again. Regardless how nice or low mileage your car is, you ALWAYS will do better selling your car yourself. The dealer's prime goal is to buy your car from you at the lowest price it can get away with. Once the deal is complete, the trade-in is then marked up, usually with a profit margin higher that what the dealership made on the new car. How do I know? Like I said for over 20 years I worked at dealerships, including an Acura store. My job? Comptroller. I was the person who prepared the dealerships financial statements. Almost without exception the used car department was the dealership's division that made the most money. However, things could go south very quickly if the used car manager did not know what he was doing. Bidding car too high or not moving old iron off the lot. Used cars deprecation very quickly, so keeping them on the lot too long causes the value of said cars to fall. Also not reading the market. Just like now. If I were a used car manager, I would try to thin my inventory of cars/trucks, suvs, that get poor gas mileage. The price of gas is going up everyday.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:42 AM
1st Gear

Have you considered leasing an MDX or TL? Coming from someone who had a lease on an 08 TL, you can actually work out a decent deal assuming that you won't go over your mileage. The Acura dealership will always "low ball" you on a trade. You have a Type S which is exclusive. $10,000 is crazy when that car is worth much more. Assuming that the vehicle is in good shape, keep it! It's not worth the headache of taking such a hit. In my case I was forced to turn in my TL with 27,000 miles over the 36,000 limit. Ended up charging me $5800 in over-mileage fees, which I was able to negotiate down to $4600. Bottom line, there's never a win-win situation!!!
Old 04-03-2011, 12:53 PM
Burning Brakes

I agree with the digressers and would recommend you keep your car; regardless of financial situation but if you really want to a new car...

Here's a question (dont need to answer it publicly): Would you feel comfortable paying cash for the car brand new (pretending there was no trade)?
If the answer is no, I would suggest you keep your existing tl. If the answer is yes, then consider upgrading.

My personal opinion is that just because a car is financed or leased doesn't mean you should be willing to buy a car thats more expensive than one you'd pay in cash up front.

And since you already have a TL, I don't think the new 2012 TL will give you that much more excitement/safety/utility to justify the 30k cost increase.

Spend the money on things that matter more & will not depreciate as quickly -- like a house (or furniture), an investment account for your kid (if you have their potential college expenses paid early, it'll save you headache down the road), retirement savings, etc.
Old 04-03-2011, 01:54 PM
1999 TL

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Dude to sum it all as I mentioned earlier; What's the point of spending money which you do not have; trying to buy things you do not need; to impress people you do not care about?
I have seen a lot of people making even 300K+ a year still broke and without great credit scores. Its all due to out of control spending, no savings and a massive ego.
Lets face the truth; if you had savings and could pay cash for the car, you wouldn't worry about financing.
What do you have to show for your 6 figure income?

Everyone makes great since in this thread, I appreciate it all,and I think I will hold on to this bad boy for another year, (I believe I will have it paid off by Xmas) and go from there, I like this forum because there are many people with so much knowledge and I come to you guys for the best advice and Is never let down!!!

Thanks All
Old 04-03-2011, 03:52 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Slinks
I agree with the digressers and would recommend you keep your car; regardless of financial situation but if you really want to a new car...

Here's a question (dont need to answer it publicly): Would you feel comfortable paying cash for the car brand new (pretending there was no trade)?
If the answer is no, I would suggest you keep your existing tl. If the answer is yes, then consider upgrading.

My personal opinion is that just because a car is financed or leased doesn't mean you should be willing to buy a car thats more expensive than one you'd pay in cash up front.

And since you already have a TL, I don't think the new 2012 TL will give you that much more excitement/safety/utility to justify the 30k cost increase.

Spend the money on things that matter more & will not depreciate as quickly -- like a house (or furniture), an investment account for your kid (if you have their potential college expenses paid early, it'll save you headache down the road), retirement savings, etc.
Old 04-03-2011, 04:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 383 Likes on 239 Posts
I'm glad to see that you've decided to keep the '07 a while longer. For someone your age, you make an impressive salary but with seemingly little financial knowledge it could spell big trouble ahead. I honestly don't mean this to sound belittling but if you were to spend a few months or a year educating yourself financially, the answer to the question you pose would be a no-brainer.

You've obviously got some smarts to possess the job you have and to be pulling in a more than decent salary for someone your age. I have no doubt that you are capable of improving your financial literacy. At 28, the decisions you make now will pave the way for your financial soundness. "Play now, pay later. Pay now and play for the rest of your life". There are tons of valuable resources available to help you. Be wise and take advantage of them now and learn as much as you can in your 20s. In 10 short years from now, you will be one happy camper. Good luck to you and be proud you have an '07TLS. Don't give the '12 a second thought for now.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Last edited by a35tl; 04-03-2011 at 04:43 PM.
Old 04-03-2011, 04:33 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by acurator99
Dude to sum it all as I mentioned earlier; What's the point of spending money which you do not have; trying to buy things you do not need; to impress people you do not care about?
I have seen a lot of people making even 300K+ a year still broke and without great credit scores. Its all due to out of control spending, no savings and a massive ego.
Lets face the truth; if you had savings and could pay cash for the car, you wouldn't worry about financing.
What do you have to show for your 6 figure income?
I know those types as well, Thing is I don't have out of control spending, I have 1 credit card (which really isn't a credit card, it's a secured Visa I've had for 7 years now due to me making bad choices with $$$ while in college, Taking hits on my credit score) and 3 apartments (Investment apartments) and I just purchased a one family home in a sub division once I found out I was having a child last summer.

I pay off cars pretty fast though, My Infiniti I had I paid off a few months ago and sold it because I didn't have use for 3 cars, I purchased (financed) the Acura 2 months after my closing of my house, for commuting purposes and the Infiniti M45 was kicking my ass with my commuting since I re-located since I purchased it back in 2007. I have very little debt except for my new house of course and investment properties pays for themselves and some. I just wanted a newer car and was only blown away because of the trade in value of my my type-s that's all, I don't see how everyone can assume that I am broke or can't "Afford" a 2012 TL after I was comfortably paying for a 60K M, a $387,400 Home Mortgage, a 2007 acura tl types s, with plenty of money left over, I am pretty conservative with my $$ Most people call me cheap lol but just because I can't or won't buy a $45,000 car out right like some on this forum can doesn't make me broke or can't afford something.

Anyways in conclusion, I am going to hold on to my tl, for at least another 6-12 months and continue to do my double payments probably triple payments because just like everyone, I hate owing anyone and most def for long periods of time.

Thanks for helping me see the light a little better my pals @ Acurazine!!
Old 04-03-2011, 04:39 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by a32tl
I'm glad to see that you've decided to keep the '07 a while longer. For someone your age, you make an impressive salary but with seemingly little financial knowledge it could spell big trouble ahead. I honestly don't mean this to sound belittling but if you were to spend a few months or a year educating yourself financially, the answer to the question you pose would be a no-brainer.

You've obviously got some smarts to possess the job you have and to be pulling in a more than decent salary for someone your age. I have no doubt that you are capable of improving your financial literacy. At 25, the decisions you make now will pave the way for your financial soundness. "Play now, pay later. Pay now and play for the rest of your life". There are tons of valuable resources available to help you. Be wise and take advantage of them now and learn as much as you can in your 20s. In 10 short years from now, you will be one happy camper. Good luck to you and be proud you have an '07TLS. Don't give the '12 a second thought for now.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Thanks Dude, I appreciate it, I am 28 now though but yea, I lack in some areas and excel in others, I still go to my father for financial advice, it's something that I am 10x's better at than at the age of 18, but being a spoiled brat with one brother and one sister growing up it didn't help me much either. Out of the three of us though I was the more Independent one by far, education is endless, and I am still on my ways to advance my knowledge, that's why I explore a bit like getting advice from you guys and gals here on acurazine. I know my parents will never steer me in the wrong directions, but hearing it from a few others is always great you know!!

Thanks Again.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:37 PM
Moneyman2011

Thanks Dude, I appreciate it, I am 28 now though but yea, I lack in some areas and excel in others, I still go to my father for financial advice, it's something that I am 10x's better at than at the age of 18, but being a spoiled brat with one brother and one sister growing up it didn't help me much either. Out of the three of us though I was the more Independent one by far, education is endless, and I am still on my ways to advance my knowledge, that's why I explore a bit like getting advice from you guys and gals here on acurazine. I know my parents will never steer me in the wrong directions, but hearing it from a few others is always great you know!!

Thanks Again.

I am a Private Wealth Advisor and Managing Director of a financial firm in New York City on Madison Avenue. I can assure you that I have seen all kinds of situations my clients have put themselves in that has caused destruction for years to come as well as many years prior to my meeting them. Money is a very difficult thing to manage and there are very few courses on the subject at any academic level. I have clients who are business owners, people in the entertainment world, lawyers, doctors, scientists, and the worst are lottery winners. I can count on one hand over 18 years the number of clients I feel manage their own finances as well as I do. Yes I am tooting my own horn, but I should. I have an 837 FICO, zero debt with the exception of my new TL (yes my seven figure house is paid for), a very sizable investment portfolio and a very careful handle on managing my expenditures. My wife still clips coupons and buys everything on sale or she does not make a purchase.

The key to financial success is just two simple things but they are the hardest for people to put in action: Spend less than you take home, and save at least 50% of the difference. In other words, say you make $100,000 and you live in Texas, your personal take home income could be $80,000 since there is no personal state income tax. Assuming you are not contributing to your IRA and you are not a business owner, your monthly income after tax could be around $6,600. If you are paying $800-$900 per month for a car, that is just silly. The car you should be buying should cost you no more than $500 per month (7.5% of your net income) and you should not put more than 33% down as the worst use of your money is buying a car, unless you are buying a rare exotic that will hold its value or even increase in some markets. So the cost of the car you should be buying should be no more than $41,000 (deal price before sales tax), assuming you are putting down about $13,500, thus you would be financing $30,000 assuming zero percent rate. If you had a 4.9% rate, then you could only buy a $36,000 car when putting $11,800 down. Assuming you could not put any money down, you should only buy a car that costs $25,000 with a 4.9% 60 month interest rate.

I have a client who makes $1,100,000 in income per year and is living check to check if you can believe that! I have been working with him for more than 6 months to restructure his life and get him back on earth. He is selling his house, selling his 12 Rolex and Breitling watches, stopping his $300 lunches, getting rid of his beach house, turning in his leases on his Porsche, Land Rover, Lexus and SL65AMG. He is going to buy a used Honda Civic to drive to the train as that is all he does every day. We are changing everything and his wife is completely on-board or it would never fly. She is giving up her gym membership, her uncontrolled spending habits and they are even cancelling their country club membership. They were concerned about what their friends would think, and I said the following: “they are likely struggling just as much as you and they don’t want you to know about it either. When you tell them you are restructuring your lives, if they don’t want to be friends with you as a result, they were never your friends in the first place.” The net result of everything for this couple is that they will be able to live in a very comfortable home (not the current one which is $8,000,000), but likely about $1,000,000, they will start saving for their retirement which they have done nothing and they are 48 years old, and finally they will join the rest of us on the 3rd rock. The biggest thing is they will avoid bankruptcy as they are two months away from that horrible experience.

Here is my recommendation without knowing anything else about your personal financial situation: keep the car you have until it is paid off, save $12,000 for a down payment, and then get a new TL at that time. You have many years of good experiences with your current car yet to come, so keep it, save for your future and buy another car down the road. I know I am sounding like a dad, but I am one and I'm not yours.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:12 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
Originally Posted by KES
My 2 cents. Take it as fatherly advice and from someone who is perhaps ultra conservative with my spending (I drive my cars 10+ years / 150K+ in miles and paid cash for my last 3 vehicles).

The 2007 is still has plenty of miles left in it. Pay it off. Save some $$ and in a few years get a new vehicle when you need it. Based on your age 28 and what you wrote (credit score) while you may want a new vehicle it seems that it will be a struggle to pay for.

But if you decide to get the new TL it appears you need to shop it around at other dealers as this deal is good for the dealer and not so good for you.

Good luck.

I agree with "dad" above.

My first car, a 1988 Toyota Camry, I drove for 130k miles but finally had to get rid of it after 8-9 years and 3 wrecks. lol.

My second car, a 1997 Nissan Maxima, I sold with around 128k on the odo despite the fact the only thing that went wrong with the car outside of warranty was a starter dying around 120+k miles. Like an idiot, I got "bored" with the car and sold it. It probably could've gone for another 30-40k miles easily.

My third and most recent car is my 2004 Acura TL. I had a power steering pump replaced around 80k under warranty. The only other major repair on the car was 2 engine mounts needed to be replaced for around $800 around 120k miles. The thing is still running fine at 165,000 miles (albeit with a couple of lights going out on the inside. lol).

If you don't need a new car, don't buy it. Get ahead in life instead of always trying to figure out a way to get another payment. I only pay cash for my cars and could buy a TL now if I wanted to, but I've learned my lesson - don't buy it unless you really have squeezed the last bit of juice out of the car you already have.

Sincerely,

Your 40 year old big brother who is probably going to wait for the 5G TL to see how it looks or buy a damn Prius. But only if his 3G starts causing problems.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:28 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Moneyman2011
I am a Private Wealth Advisor and Managing Director of a financial firm in New York City on Madison Avenue. I can assure you that I have seen all kinds of situations my clients have put themselves in that has caused destruction for years to come as well as many years prior to my meeting them. Money is a very difficult thing to manage and there are very few courses on the subject at any academic level. I have clients who are business owners, people in the entertainment world, lawyers, doctors, scientists, and the worst are lottery winners. I can count on one hand over 18 years the number of clients I feel manage their own finances as well as I do. Yes I am tooting my own horn, but I should. I have an 837 FICO, zero debt with the exception of my new TL (yes my seven figure house is paid for), a very sizable investment portfolio and a very careful handle on managing my expenditures. My wife still clips coupons and buys everything on sale or she does not make a purchase.

The key to financial success is just two simple things but they are the hardest for people to put in action: Spend less than you take home, and save at least 50% of the difference. In other words, say you make $100,000 and you live in Texas, your personal take home income could be $80,000 since there is no personal state income tax. Assuming you are not contributing to your IRA and you are not a business owner, your monthly income after tax could be around $6,600. If you are paying $800-$900 per month for a car, that is just silly. The car you should be buying should cost you no more than $500 per month (7.5% of your net income) and you should not put more than 33% down as the worst use of your money is buying a car, unless you are buying a rare exotic that will hold its value or even increase in some markets. So the cost of the car you should be buying should be no more than $41,000 (deal price before sales tax), assuming you are putting down about $13,500, thus you would be financing $30,000 assuming zero percent rate. If you had a 4.9% rate, then you could only buy a $36,000 car when putting $11,800 down. Assuming you could not put any money down, you should only buy a car that costs $25,000 with a 4.9% 60 month interest rate.

I have a client who makes $1,100,000 in income per year and is living check to check if you can believe that! I have been working with him for more than 6 months to restructure his life and get him back on earth. He is selling his house, selling his 12 Rolex and Breitling watches, stopping his $300 lunches, getting rid of his beach house, turning in his leases on his Porsche, Land Rover, Lexus and SL65AMG. He is going to buy a used Honda Civic to drive to the train as that is all he does every day. We are changing everything and his wife is completely on-board or it would never fly. She is giving up her gym membership, her uncontrolled spending habits and they are even cancelling their country club membership. They were concerned about what their friends would think, and I said the following: “they are likely struggling just as much as you and they don’t want you to know about it either. When you tell them you are restructuring your lives, if they don’t want to be friends with you as a result, they were never your friends in the first place.” The net result of everything for this couple is that they will be able to live in a very comfortable home (not the current one which is $8,000,000), but likely about $1,000,000, they will start saving for their retirement which they have done nothing and they are 48 years old, and finally they will join the rest of us on the 3rd rock. The biggest thing is they will avoid bankruptcy as they are two months away from that horrible experience.

Here is my recommendation without knowing anything else about your personal financial situation: keep the car you have until it is paid off, save $12,000 for a down payment, and then get a new TL at that time. You have many years of good experiences with your current car yet to come, so keep it, save for your future and buy another car down the road. I know I am sounding like a dad, but I am one and I'm not yours.
MoneyMan thanks, Great Advice, That's crazy to hear about that couple but is highly highly likely..

It always reminds me of that commercial of the guy who has the perfect lawn, new car, country club membership, just to say at the end "I am in debt up to my Eyeballs!!!" Classic.

Thanks!!
Old 04-03-2011, 10:31 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Rocketsfan
I agree with "dad" above.

My first car, a 1988 Toyota Camry, I drove for 130k miles but finally had to get rid of it after 8-9 years and 3 wrecks. lol.

My second car, a 1997 Nissan Maxima, I sold with around 128k on the odo despite the fact the only thing that went wrong with the car outside of warranty was a starter dying around 120+k miles. Like an idiot, I got "bored" with the car and sold it. It probably could've gone for another 30-40k miles easily.

My third and most recent car is my 2004 Acura TL. I had a power steering pump replaced around 80k under warranty. The only other major repair on the car was 2 engine mounts needed to be replaced for around $800 around 120k miles. The thing is still running fine at 165,000 miles (albeit with a couple of lights going out on the inside. lol).

If you don't need a new car, don't buy it. Get ahead in life instead of always trying to figure out a way to get another payment. I only pay cash for my cars and could buy a TL now if I wanted to, but I've learned my lesson - don't buy it unless you really have squeezed the last bit of juice out of the car you already have.

Sincerely,

Your 40 year old big brother who is probably going to wait for the 5G TL to see how it looks or buy a damn Prius. But only if his 3G starts causing problems.
lol, thanks, the 5G will be sweet I hope....!!!
Old 04-04-2011, 09:40 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by KES
My 2 cents. Take it as fatherly advice and from someone who is perhaps ultra conservative with my spending (I drive my cars 10+ years / 150K+ in miles and paid cash for my last 3 vehicles).

The 2007 is still has plenty of miles left in it. Pay it off. Save some $$ and in a few years get a new vehicle when you need it. Based on your age 28 and what you wrote (credit score) while you may want a new vehicle it seems that it will be a struggle to pay for.

But if you decide to get the new TL it appears you need to shop it around at other dealers as this deal is good for the dealer and not so good for you.

Good luck.
What he said - it's a bad financial descision to sell a car with negative equity.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:45 AM
Advanced

.... This same dealership back in March/April of 2007 took my trade in for a 2003 tl type s.....
We have had a small global recession since then, sort of devalued a lot of things
Old 04-04-2011, 09:49 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Moneyman2011
.... Yes I am tooting my own horn, but I should. I have an 837 FICO, zero debt with the exception of my new TL (yes my seven figure house is paid for), a very sizable investment portfolio and a very careful handle on managing my expenditures....
Here's an honest question - I am probably in the same financial place you are - 0 debt - high income - excellent credit score .....
Question is, why not just pay cash for the TL?
Old 04-04-2011, 09:51 AM
damanyea

You can definitely get down on those monthly payments with some hard-nose negotiations. You may also want to look into financing with some else if possible. Dealerships don't always have the best rates.

Quick Reply: Is Acura trying to STEAL my TL away from me??