Sponsored by: DashLynx

Acura TL vs. Volvo S60

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 09:18 PM
shb
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acura TL vs. Volvo S60

I am torn about Volvo S60 and the TL. their price seems to be comparable and they have fancy safety feature too... anybody has any opinions or experience on the volvo s60? reliability, driving comfort , etc ?
Old 09-19-2011, 09:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Volvo is notoriously soft in the handling dept. No AWD on the 325hp model. AND it's $50k. 4GTL FTW.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:48 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Who even owns Volvo these days? Is enough for me to stay away for a few years to see what happens to the brand.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by TullyMN
Who even owns Volvo these days? Is enough for me to stay away for a few years to see what happens to the brand.
Very popular car here in Portland, OR (usuallly driven by 60+ year olds). It would be interesting to know what the actual sales numbers were on the 60.

See senior driver in Volvo wagon here in Portland:

http://youtu.be/BQuwyURdymc

Last edited by Mr Marco; 09-19-2011 at 09:59 PM.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:13 PM

Received 1,020 Likes on 792 Posts
volvo rhymes with no go
Old 09-19-2011, 10:24 PM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
I test drove a new S60 AWD T6 while shopping for a new car (and yes, I bought a 2012 TL FWD, go figure).

The Volvo is a really nice car. Interior is well appointed and definitely different than the Japanese/German offerings, but the back seat is small and I was actually surprised with how small the interior felt overall.

The car performed very well in my opinion. 300hp AWD with 325lb feet of torque, yeah, you can tell, it really goes. It handled well considering how nice the ride was also.

I really liked the car, but the size and the fact that I just don't trust the companies future in America is what kept me from buying it.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:34 PM
BT9
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr Marco
Volvo is notoriously soft in the handling dept. No AWD on the 325hp model. AND it's $50k. 4GTL FTW.
Why reply when you have nothing but wrong information?

The 325HP 354 lb-ft torque model is AWD. Prices start at $42500. Handling gets pretty good reviews.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:10 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Very popular car here in Portland, OR (usuallly driven by 60+ year olds). It would be interesting to know what the actual sales numbers were on the 60.
You shouldn't knock us old farts...if you are lucky you might get there someday.

Volvo might do a lot better under Chinese ownership because they have the money to buy any resources they need to be competitive in the US market. Its easier to expand on a known nameplate then come into the US market cold as a Zhejiang Geely.

BTW the 325HP/354lbft S60T-R will run 0-60 in about 5.5 seconds Its a 4X4 & goes for about $43K base.

http://www.insideline.com/volvo/s60/...rst-drive.html
Old 09-20-2011, 11:50 AM
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
I used to have an S60R.... back in 2004 it was a pretty high performance car and it was very unusual coming from volvo... 300hp, 6 speed manual, adjustable suspension, haldex AWD, 18" wheels... it was pretty fast.. that being said.. it was NO WHERE near as reliable as either of my Acuras... I had my fair share of problems.. most covered under warranty... but I felt the car was not very reliable.

I used to have an older volvo... the old school ones.. and that thing drove and drove and drove and drove.. it was bullet proof. once Ford got involved... quality went down..

I'd personally NOT buy another volvo...

if you do get one, though... look up a company called IPD. they are in portland. they do tuning for volvos. you can make a volvo turbo FAST. like any other turbo car.. crank up the boost and you have big power.
Old 09-20-2011, 12:12 PM
The Sicilian

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Volvos are not relaible and parts are expensive like Audi's.
Old 09-20-2011, 04:09 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i worked for volvo 7 years as tech, recently i change jobs, but when it comes to being reliable its not no where near Acura, i drove the new s60 t6 its ok nothing special but over priced if u were to put features of acura tech pakg, drove the old s60r that car i give credit but car has no turning radius, all new volvo cars are fucked up by ford, now that china bought it it will take some time to maybe get it right, Stay away from new volvos
Old 09-20-2011, 09:44 PM
shb
Cruisin'

i was really sold by they safety feature in the beginning... any other volvo s60 owner want to chime in ? or those who test drive both s60 and tl ?
Old 09-21-2011, 06:41 AM
The Sicilian

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by shb
i was really sold by they safety feature in the beginning... any other volvo s60 owner want to chime in ? or those who test drive both s60 and tl ?
I think the only reason Volvo's been around this long is because of it's claims of being one of the safest cars bulit.
IMO that statement no longer holds true considering how far automotive safety technology has come. The new TL has great safety ratings so Volvos claim of safety no longer holds water in my book.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:26 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I too had narrowed down to these two cars. In the end, I went with the Acura primarily for these reasons:

-previous history with Acura (loved every day in my CL-S for 10 years)
-kids complained about the Volvo's backseat being too tight
-wife hated the dashboard layout of the Volvo

The Volvo was quite impressive though to drive (the T6 AWD). Zippy,great sounding engine, but the Acura sounds even slicker, and I'm still giddy every time I hit a corner with the SH-AWD.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:40 PM
BT9
Intermediate

Looks like Volvo offers quite a coverage package:

U.S. consumers will receive complimentary Safe + Secure coverage with every new purchase.
Safe + Secure includes up to 5 years of comprehensive factory warranty coverage, 5 years of Wear & Tear
coverage, 5 years of Factory Scheduled Maintenance coverage and 5 years of Road Side Assistance.
Please visit www.volvocars.com/us for program details.

http://www.volvocars.com/us/sales-se...eragePlan.aspx

Old 09-22-2011, 09:44 PM
Suzuka Master

^ Sooo...I take it you like the Volvo, or you lease one.
Old 09-24-2011, 02:28 AM
Early Shifter

Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts
I was hooked on Volvos badly for 3 years, the reliability just isn't there. Not without dumping ass loads of money into them. The S60R's had massive AWD failures, ridiculously priced suspension components and only actually delivered ~230 hp to the ground with the AWD loss. The navigation was a bit cheesy as well, I hate stupid pop out screens. Integrated, large, classy screens like Acura's FTW. The brand new S60 just reminds me to much of a Civic. Don't get me wrong, the new Civics are sharp but being classified as Volvo is, they should not be looking similar to each other.

A new S60 would be covered by a warranty so owning one would probably be pretty inexpensive at first but just not ideal for the long run if you intend to keep it for a long time.

Mine was extremely reliable, traded in on the TL @ 190K.....I was feeling very outdated in terms of styling and just tired of all the high mileage noises/creaks from the cabin.

All that being said the Volvo is going to be much much more expensive to maintain and from my few experiences with Acura, will not prove to be as reliable as it sits. If it matters to you the TL will get you much better gas mileage, hands down.

The car tought me a good lesson though, do not throw every penny you have into a car. I spent so much money on top of my time and energy tinkering with it only to realize that I was driving an old, high mileage car that wasn't worth shit. Granted all cars depreciate and accumulate mileage but still.

Just go test drive a TL if you haven't, after I test drove one I knew it was going to be next.

It was pretty though, RIP.

Last edited by ohsixMTee; 09-24-2011 at 02:40 AM.
Old 09-24-2011, 03:23 AM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
You shouldn't knock us old farts...if you are lucky you might get there someday.

Volvo might do a lot better under Chinese ownership because they have the money to buy any resources they need to be competitive in the US market. Its easier to expand on a known nameplate then come into the US market cold as a Zhejiang Geely.

BTW the 325HP/354lbft S60T-R will run 0-60 in about 5.5 seconds Its a 4X4 & goes for about $43K base.

http://www.insideline.com/volvo/s60/...rst-drive.html
The Chinese are not interested in flourishing Volvo in the long run. They are only interested in stealing the know-hows of how to build world cars, such that they can copy and reapply to their domestic cars in order to flood the US and the European auto markets with their "indigenous" cars in the near future.
Old 09-24-2011, 06:15 AM
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts
I've driven both and there is no comparison in the handling department. I like the looks of this car but there was no question after the test drive that it was not for me. The only way to describe the handling was "jittery". It never really felt "planted" like the TL.
Old 09-24-2011, 08:51 AM
BT9
Intermediate

^ Sooo...I take it you like the Volvo, or you lease one.
There are positive things, and negative things, about every car. Volvo's maintenance/repair plan stands out, so I posted it. Simple as that. There's nothing more to read into it.

Most other vehicles, you have to pay $1000, sometimes more, to get that level of coverage via an optional plan. In most cases, dealer maintenance is pretty pricey if you buy it a la carte, so you're enticed to buy these plans.

Not sure yet, if I like the S-60 R-spec. Looks good on paper, and the reviews have been relatively good. The interior doesn't do much for me though. I don't hate it, it's just painfully bland, and that might be enough for me to rule it out. Haven't test driven one yet, and that hasn't yet made it on my list of things I must do.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by shb
I am torn about Volvo S60 and the TL. their price seems to be comparable and they have fancy safety feature too... anybody has any opinions or experience on the volvo s60? reliability, driving comfort , etc ?
First Volvo is now Chinese and I do my best to not support the Chinese, not an easy task today. That being said I do like the look of the S60, especially when you load it up with the diamond cut wheels. I test drove the 2011 AWD S60 and it was nice, but inside it seemed TSX size and optioned up was close to $50K and I don't think their AWD is performance oriented like the TL. Also the waterfall center console in the S60 turns me off, and fully optioned cars are impossible to find and anything less to me does not come close to competing with SH-AWD TL. The S60 rode nice, but since I was 12 months out of my TL and used to the softer M37S ride I would guess the S60 probably does not handle like my SH-AWD did, but it was clearly better than my M37s.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:01 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by BT9
Why reply when you have nothing but wrong information?

The 325HP 354 lb-ft torque model is AWD. Prices start at $42500. Handling gets pretty good reviews.
I wasn't going to chime in to your BullShit comment, but now you are posting wrong information. It's $48,950 comprably equipped. And, unless this is something new from Volvo, maintenance costs are exactly the same between the S60 and the TL.

http://www.newcar.com/15/01/2010/acu...sts/index.html

http://www.automobilemag.com/am/2009...hip_costs.html
Old 09-26-2011, 07:01 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
I had a 98 C70 couple with the "High Pressure" turbo. It had 237hp that felt like 300 - and I'm not kidding. I had the car two years and I know I had one minor problem, although I don't remember what it was. But my memory is that it was very reliable, but in Texas it's resale value was not very good. They are very popular in the New England area and possible some other areas where resale might be better.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:10 AM
BT9
Intermediate

I wasn't going to chime in to your BullShit comment, but now you are posting wrong information. It's $48,950 comprably equipped. And, unless this is something new from Volvo, maintenance costs are exactly the same between the S60 and the TL.

http://www.newcar.com/15/01/2010/acu...sts/index.html

http://www.automobilemag.com/am/2009...hip_costs.html
Hehehe! What an amazing level of twisted idiocy you possess!

Most normal people would respond with an apology when they post verifiably wrong information. Instead you double down on a heapin' helping of stupidity.

But then again, I pegged you as such, months ago, from various other postings of your vomit. You're an entertaining self-destructing idiot though...the best kind!

My comment was completely accurate and justifiable in correcting your wrong statements about AWD and HP. My statement about starting price is also completely accurate and perfectly clear in its very specific meaning, apparently to everyone except you.
What a riot! You have to twist that in order to try and save face!

Like most of your comments driven by your laughable-yet-puzzling insecurity about your car...falsehoods, innuendo, ridiculous comparisons, insults, and outdated "knowledge" reign supreme. That's apparently your defense mechanism when you can't argue with facts. Like an 8 year old throwing a temper tantrum when they don't get their way.

You're a real piece of work! Now, what part of "complementary 5 year coverage" is causing your tiny brain to overload?

You give TL's, and this forum, a bad name. As I've said before the TL can stand on its own, fact versus fact, as a great value. However, in your pathetic insecure world, only cheerleading is allowed. Normally I don't post things like this but you earned an in-kind reply for your ridiculous attempt at face-saving comments.

Good thing for this forum's sake, clowns like you are the exception not the rule.
Now...go ahead and respond with some predictable twisted tantrum to this, and sink further into your cesspool of misguided self-importance.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:38 AM
Suzuka Master

You lost me at idiot...not sure why you are so angry. Your only interest is a online argument, otherwise you would have been civil from the start.

Let's get this thread back on track. The Volvo is not a bad car, it just doesn't offer the same value as the TL. Dollar for dollar the TL is a better choice. But if you have the cash to blow the S60 is nice. For that matter the CTS-V would be the next step up. If you compare the base S60 to the TL they are pretty much the same car. I think the over-all sporty feel of the TL is achieved by a stiffer suspension and louder exhaust wear-as the S60 is a little more relaxed.
Old 09-26-2011, 03:00 PM
Cruisin'

(From my other thread)

Volvo S60:

Convenient safety features (it has cameras in the front that can look around cars if you're coming out of a driveway without a clear view of traffic)

Safety features: auto stopping under 20 mph (i've gotten into 2 minor accidents cause I wasn't paying attention in the parking lot).

Luxury features: Rear headrest comes down with a button, high res navi screen w/ good graphics, power folding mirrors,

Exterior Design: I like the look, but it doesn't look as good as a 2012 TL (whatever, I love the exterior design). LED tail lights and on the front accent. And LOVE the tail light design. Looks like a GS350 from the front.

Interior: Love the "waterfall" design of the center console.

Luxury Ride: Its quiet, its smooth, comfortable seats, rear AC is on the sides and not in the center.

Dislikes:
Doesn't look as good as a TL

Weird "bump" in the headliner that houses the interior lights. Its so pronounced that it looks out of place. Its also extremely cheap because you can actually press it in and it will deform like cheap cardboard. Weird.

Does not have power steering column with power tilt and telescopic steering wheel. My 1998 Maxima had this!

I was going to do the same for all the cars Im cross shopping but that would take forever. I'm also cross shopping the G37 coupe, 2012 TL, Volvo XC60, VW GTI, IS350, TSX and some others I can't remember. The main players are G37 Couple, '12 TL and S60.