Is Acura TL faster than BMW 5 or 7 series?

Old 09-29-2011, 03:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by EazyRider562
It's not bro, TL means top of the line!! It's a sports car, BMW is sub-par luxury. I'd go with a Lexus over a BMW, any day of the week.

I think you would agree!
BMW calls luxury "Premium Package 2" It's not cheap either. Add the M package and you could easily tack another $4K to the already inflated price of your 335.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Stew4HD
I make no claim about a car I have not driven, unlike you! You sir, have NO credibility in my books here when it comes to comparing the TL to ANYTHING.
It's not my credibility that's on the line, it's the TLs credibility against formidable BMW competition.

The TL according to published specs does not have enough hp to be able to beat these cars in a straight line race. If you have driven any of the higher end BMWs you would know what I am talking about, and BMW is typically conversative on the engine ratings.

If you are talking slolam, emergency maneuever, skidpad typically quoted it might be another story, however.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Interesting, the very last stop light grand prix I ran before I sold the '06 6MT was with a black 645 & I had almost the identical results. I was about 3/4 of a car length back going into 3rd. Was no way I was going to close the gap, if anything the horsepower spread would have opened it up, so that was that.

Since we both go the same way most days the next time will be payback, big time.
The older X45's are not the same animal as the new x50s or even x35's. BMW gets more performance out of a hp than any other manufacturer.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jjsC5
The older X45's are not the same animal as the new x50s or even x35's. BMW gets more performance out of a hp than any other manufacturer.
Absolutely, I saw a youtube video of a 550 roaring away from a Jeep SRT8, on a race course.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:05 PM
UA6
Safety Car

Received 700 Likes on 438 Posts
A 5 and 7 series with the E Brake on will still smoke a TL.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:33 PM
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
BMW is for old fogies, TL is for a younger generation who likes to race around town. FACT!
Old 09-29-2011, 04:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by g37guy01
It's not my credibility that's on the line, it's the TLs credibility against formidable BMW competition.

The TL according to published specs does not have enough hp to be able to beat these cars in a straight line race. If you have driven any of the higher end BMWs you would know what I am talking about, and BMW is typically conversative on the engine ratings.

If you are talking slolam, emergency maneuever, skidpad typically quoted it might be another story, however.
WTH are talking about? Since when is the TL's credibility up against anything other than the same class it resides in? The OP is way out there thinking that the TL is more than it is compared to the 7 class. It can run with some 5 series but that's about it. Acura makes no claim that it's a super car nor do I.

If you had from the beginning of this thread, you might see that we have been making fun of the premise of the thread! We've argued the TL vs XX to death
Old 09-29-2011, 04:45 PM
Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
Whoa now, you are making claims about a car you have NOT driven.. ummm, not cool.. but, then again, we've been down that road before...
Isn't that how the internet works?
Old 09-29-2011, 05:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Pete2010
Isn't that how the internet works?
Touche, my friend! It sure is.. I could claim to have driven them all.. dang.. I missed my chance!
Old 09-29-2011, 05:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,194 Likes on 687 Posts
It's not bro, TL means top of the line!! It's a sports car, BMW is sub-par luxury. I'd go with a Lexus over a BMW, any day of the week.

I think you would agree!
at sub-par luxury.

We've had BMW products for 20 years+ now. Have yet to see anything besides the RL come truly close to the luxury BMW presents it with.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:03 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Wow, it's getting heated in here!

First of all, the original question is very vague-there's no qualifier to it for a comparison.

Second, there's apples and oranges being mixed in this discussion.

Besides, the only people that care about 0-60 times are thieves-for quick get-aways.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
BMW is for old fogies, TL is for a younger generation who likes to race around town. FACT!
This old fogie likes his 3 series BMW's but this thread suggests you are pretty clueless about what demographic is driving them.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=526124
Old 09-29-2011, 07:46 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
This old fogie likes his 3 series BMW's but this thread suggests you are pretty clueless about what demographic is driving them.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=526124
You got that right!
Old 09-29-2011, 08:36 PM
Walk the walk

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
The whole question is sophomoric but since I own a 7 series also, I will tell you it is faster. It is a better driver. I would suspect the 5 series also. Even a 3 series can be one hell of a ride. To look at a cars with this .5 second difference 0-60 times is just so naive. The driving experience is so much more. BMW's have low end torque which pushes you and your passengers back into the seats. The brakes are phenominal. The handling superb. My 7 will also be sold soon as I am not renewing the registration after 9 years of ownership. Most likely the last BMW I will own unless they obtain the Japanese design type level of reliability. The TL is a fanastic car and was at the dealer yesterday pondering buying #3.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Touche, my friend! It sure is.. I could claim to have driven them all.. dang.. I missed my chance!
I thought you have. and ll put a smiley face there even though I have no credibility.
Old 09-30-2011, 08:25 AM
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Have you driving the 750/740/550/135/335/z4/650?

Have you driven the G37x?

Can you claim the TL is faster then the G37x?

According to published results the G37x is faster then the TL? Even if I assume the TL and G are basically equals in terms of handling and performance, I can logically assume the BMWs would outrun both the TL and G in varying degrees as stated.

Englishtown Raceway has a 30 entry fee on Wednesday. You can take your car down there an pace it with other cars and walk out with a timing slip. Why don't you do that and see how fast the TL really is? This way you don't have to street race and can get a sense of how your car really perfoms in a straight line.
I have driven a G37 recently on a test drive & the dealer let me open it up actually he told me to. I have also driven a 3 series not to sure if it was 328 or 335 because it was debadged. I am also on my 3rd TL. I will not argue that both the G & the >335/535 <(specifically are by far faster cars than the TL). I say 335/535 specifically because i have not been convinced yet that a 328 or 528 can out run either TL FWD or AWD. The handling on the G37 is better than the handling on the FWD TL i can't compare to the AWD TL because i have only drove one once.

I like the TL because i like it and with the money i had to spend i wanted something brand new. Since owning it i have taken it in to both infiniti & bmw looking at the competition but didn't go forth because why would i trade in my brand new car to get a car that is 2 to 3 years older with 30K + miles for the price i paid for my car with 0 miles and not even a year old. There are better cars than the TL and there are better cars than the cars that are better than the TL so it's more of what would you as an individual be most content with.

Last edited by TRIUMPHT; 09-30-2011 at 08:28 AM.
Old 09-30-2011, 08:54 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TRIUMPHT
I have driven a G37 recently on a test drive & the dealer let me open it up actually he told me to. I have also driven a 3 series not to sure if it was 328 or 335 because it was debadged. I am also on my 3rd TL. I will not argue that both the G & the >335/535 <(specifically are by far faster cars than the TL). I say 335/535 specifically because i have not been convinced yet that a 328 or 528 can out run either TL FWD or AWD. The handling on the G37 is better than the handling on the FWD TL i can't compare to the AWD TL because i have only drove one once.

I like the TL because i like it and with the money i had to spend i wanted something brand new. Since owning it i have taken it in to both infiniti & bmw looking at the competition but didn't go forth because why would i trade in my brand new car to get a car that is 2 to 3 years older with 30K + miles for the price i paid for my car with 0 miles and not even a year old. There are better cars than the TL and there are better cars than the cars that are better than the TL so it's more of what would you as an individual be most content with.
This is the most reasonable post here. The 335/535 are in a different league than the 328/528. TL could outrun those models in the same way years earlier those pesky Altima 3.5 was outrunning the bmws at that time. BMW put a stop to that though with the 335.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:11 AM
Pro

This is the most reasonable post here. The 335/535 are in a different league than the 328/528. TL could outrun those models in the same way years earlier those pesky Altima 3.5 was outrunning the bmws at that time. BMW put a stop to that though with the 335.
as far as affordable cars nissan as a company is doing pretty good . The 370Z the G37 the GTR . Now when you talk about a run between the G37 & the BMW 335 it is really a toss up because where the G37 has 30 more HP's than the 335 it also is behind 30 ft lb's of torque compared to the 335.

Hey listen i drive an acura i like acura but i am not one to swear my car is the best on the road. I know there are worst cars than mine and better cars than mine. That's life. I didnt really start looking at other companies until after i purchased my car then it was time to get my wife a new car . Her first choice was infiniti but she ended up with a ES350 because her car of choice had always been CAMRY'S. And to be totally honest before you couldnt tell me anything about ACURA.It was to the point i could not see somebody in years pull up with a different TL and they knew it was me. As funny as it may sound i really didn't start second guessing acura until i joined ACURAZINE. This site has alot of very informative people with great info.

Acura is falling behind at this point i think and hope they do make a come back and become more competitive in the performance market. Why should i spend close to 40K on a car then spend almost another 10K to mod it to compete with other cars when i could've just spent that same 50K on a car that comes stock with the same performance.

Not turning this into an acura bashing thread by no means just stating an opinion. I currently drive a 2011 TL.

Last edited by TRIUMPHT; 09-30-2011 at 09:22 AM.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:19 AM
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 20 Posts
Each car has its own advantage. Coming from a BMW I picked the TL because it was affordable and had a good record in reliability. BMW's maintenance fee is high, even for local shop comparing to Honda/Acura.
However I missed the handling and simplicity design of BMW. If I had more money to spend, I would definitely go back.
Many people buy cars not only for the speed/hp difference but the exterior/interior look, handling feel. If speed is your biggest concern then I'm sure there are cheaper options than the TL.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:52 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by under9hell
Each car has its own advantage. Coming from a BMW I picked the TL because it was affordable and had a good record in reliability. BMW's maintenance fee is high, even for local shop comparing to Honda/Acura.
However I missed the handling and simplicity design of BMW. If I had more money to spend, I would definitely go back.
Many people buy cars not only for the speed/hp difference but the exterior/interior look, handling feel. If speed is your biggest concern then I'm sure there are cheaper options than the TL.
Exactly
Old 09-30-2011, 11:00 AM
Pro

Shoot2Thrill, how do you know so much about cars? FYI, you look lovely! Nothing can beat a hot chick who likes fast cars! Wowee!
Old 09-30-2011, 12:04 PM
Registered Member

Received 381 Likes on 233 Posts
Have you driving the 750/740/550/135/335/z4/650?

Have you driven the G37x?

Can you claim the TL is faster then the G37x?

According to published results the G37x is faster then the TL? Even if I assume the TL and G are basically equals in terms of handling and performance, I can logically assume the BMWs would outrun both the TL and G in varying degrees as stated.

Englishtown Raceway has a 30 entry fee on Wednesday. You can take your car down there an pace it with other cars and walk out with a timing slip. Why don't you do that and see how fast the TL really is? This way you don't have to street race and can get a sense of how your car really perfoms in a straight line.

its kinda sad to go to the track to time a stock car running in their 14's BTW i have driven a 750Li 550i 535i 335i infiniti G37x meh its all nice and fast but i never driven a TL SH AWD but IMO the TL-SH AWD will hang with the stupid lil G but will get burned by all the BMW's

pofl: are u serious? something is wrong with your head to think this way BTW can u afford a BMW my friend? or are u jealous of them?

Shoot2Thrill, how do you know so much about cars? FYI, you look lovely! Nothing can beat a hot chick who likes fast cars! Wowee!
are u sure thats really a girl maybe its just an avy your a fool OP

Last edited by Steven Bell; 09-30-2011 at 11:33 PM. Reason: Merged Posts.
Old 09-30-2011, 12:45 PM
Burning Brakes

as far as affordable cars nissan as a company is doing pretty good . The 370Z the G37 the GTR . Now when you talk about a run between the G37 & the BMW 335 it is really a toss up because where the G37 has 30 more HP's than the 335 it also is behind 30 ft lb's of torque compared to the 335.

Hey listen i drive an acura i like acura but i am not one to swear my car is the best on the road. I know there are worst cars than mine and better cars than mine. That's life. I didnt really start looking at other companies until after i purchased my car then it was time to get my wife a new car . Her first choice was infiniti but she ended up with a ES350 because her car of choice had always been CAMRY'S. And to be totally honest before you couldnt tell me anything about ACURA.It was to the point i could not see somebody in years pull up with a different TL and they knew it was me. As funny as it may sound i really didn't start second guessing acura until i joined ACURAZINE. This site has alot of very informative people with great info.

Acura is falling behind at this point i think and hope they do make a come back and become more competitive in the performance market. Why should i spend close to 40K on a car then spend almost another 10K to mod it to compete with other cars when i could've just spent that same 50K on a car that comes stock with the same performance.

Not turning this into an acura bashing thread by no means just stating an opinion. I currently drive a 2011 TL.
Originally Posted by DIZAZNDOOD320
its kinda sad to go to the track to time a stock car running in their 14's BTW i have driven a 750Li 550i 535i 335i infiniti G37x meh its all nice and fast but i never driven a TL SH AWD but IMO the TL-SH AWD will hang with the stupid lil G but will get burned by all the BMW's
The 335 will run from both the g and TL due to it's torque comes on at 1500 rpm.

@dizaz I never said the TL wouldn't hang with the g, I did say the 0 to 60 on the g is reportedly slightly faster than the the TL. That does not translate into a win for the g automatically.
Old 09-30-2011, 01:25 PM
WDP 4G

Received 75 Likes on 67 Posts
I'd say op needs to stop worrying about which car is faster than which and actually ask something ABOUT his TL instead of COMPARING his TL to EVERYTHING. Op leaves the fuel and then people start the fire

Originally Posted by potmilkz
you really have to stop creating " is tl faster than...."
good to see im' not the only one noticing

Originally Posted by omaralt
bmw is faster until vtec kicks in on the acura then your flying!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
This picture is kinda dumb cause he doesn't even have a honda engine in it for the movie

Last edited by Steven Bell; 09-30-2011 at 11:34 PM. Reason: Merged Posts.
Old 09-30-2011, 01:53 PM
Suzuka Master

That's the way it has to be. Lol. I rarely back down from any car unless i am for certain i don't have any chance what so ever. Or if i just don't want to waste gas that day .

The funny thing about the BMW was i was driving minding my business he pulled up behind me , i switched lanes from left lane to middle then he switched and got behind me.At that point i had no choice.
The stop light in question is the unofficial North Raleigh Christmas tree. At the junction with 540, Six Forkes Rd goes from 2 lanes in each direction to 1 lane.

From the stoplight to the lane merge a 6MT TL can get into 3rd gear & during rush hour its guys in the right lane trying to jump the line & guys in the left lane who waited in traffic trying to keep them out.

To make it more interesting there is a gas station just past the merge on the opposite side of the street that the County Sheriff likes to hide in to pick off the runners.
Old 09-30-2011, 02:16 PM
Pro

The 335 will run from both the g and TL due to it's torque comes on at 1500 rpm.

@dizaz I never said the TL wouldn't hang with the g, I did say the 0 to 60 on the g is reportedly slightly faster than the the TL. That does not translate into a win for the g automatically.
Unless the driver knows how to drive the TL can't hang with the G. TL FWD 280 HP @ 6200 RPM 254 lb-ft torque @5000 rpm AWD has a better advantage because it has 3 more lb-ft of torque than the G that kicks in @ 5000 RPM. As to where the G's 270 kicks in at 5200 RPM but the G's 330 HP doesn't kick in until 7,000 RPM as to where the TL's 305 HP kicks in @ 6300 .

When i had my 06 TL i was driving down the highway late night as was behind a G35 he was well over the speed limit so i kept behind him figuring he would get stopped first if there was a cop car out. When an open strip came with a clear view he started to pull so i pushed more and even using sport mode (if that's the correct terminology for the 3rd gen TL) and me going over 80 that car kept pulling and disappeared .
Old 09-30-2011, 05:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Unless the driver knows how to drive the TL can't hang with the G. TL FWD 280 HP @ 6200 RPM 254 lb-ft torque @5000 rpm AWD has a better advantage because it has 3 more lb-ft of torque than the G that kicks in @ 5000 RPM. As to where the G's 270 kicks in at 5200 RPM but the G's 330 HP doesn't kick in until 7,000 RPM as to where the TL's 305 HP kicks in @ 6300 .

When i had my 06 TL i was driving down the highway late night as was behind a G35 he was well over the speed limit so i kept behind him figuring he would get stopped first if there was a cop car out. When an open strip came with a clear view he started to pull so i pushed more and even using sport mode (if that's the correct terminology for the 3rd gen TL) and me going over 80 that car kept pulling and disappeared .
Don't forget also, unless I misquoted the TL shawd is heavier than the g37x.

Your sig says you're from NY, unless you are in the tri-state area what the heck highway has no cars and an open view? In the great garden state unless you want to hit the turnpike at 2am, you can go 120 but the troopers are out looking for potential road kill. While I don't condone street racing as you know, I did go 110 once (in my life lol) in my bimmer after I got it on an open stretch of road at 6am and only for about 30 seconds. Was lucky I wasn't busted. Took that as a sign and never repeated that stupidity.
Old 09-30-2011, 05:17 PM
Pro

Don't forget also, unless I misquoted the TL shawd is heavier than the g37x.

Your sig says you're from NY, unless you are in the tri-state area what the heck highway has no cars and an open view?.
This is true the weight difference adds to the tl's disadvantage . Now as far as highways there are plenty in n.y won't disclose any specifics but most of the highways I know all have atleast 1 1 mile strip that has a clearview . But as far as 110 mph only time I went that high was heading to Syracuse and there is a stretch in p.a I believe (it's been a minute) where you can see clearly everything in front of you . Listen I am not a street racer. There's just happens to be times Ive opened up my car when I was out by myself or bumped into somebody on the highway and had a quick run and also sometimes headed somewhere with my friends. I am not roaming highways looking for a car to race lol. If I'm on the highway I'm usually headed somewhere as most people .
Old 09-30-2011, 05:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 114 Likes on 66 Posts
After reading all this... I have come to a conclusion.

threadfail.jpg?t=1254887505
The following users liked this post:
DaChef320 (09-30-2011)
Old 09-30-2011, 06:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jnc2000
After reading all this... I have come to a conclusion.

lol, why are you contributing to the 'failness'.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:49 PM
Walk the walk

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by DIZAZNDOOD320
are u sure thats really a girl maybe its just an avy your a fool OP
How true, "Kelly" Brazilian of course. I had to trim the picture a few years ago to keep the Mods from deleting it. I only took about an inch up from the bottom but as you can see she was smoking. I can tell you the bottom was one muito sexy bunda. Nice gal. Short of Brazil there is no better crop than the what comes out of the Ironbound section of Newark NJ

http://www.youtube.com/user/EnriqueI.../0/vHJAUuicC0Q
Old 09-30-2011, 10:53 PM
I feel strongly both ways

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
As the current owner of a 2011 535xi and previous owner of an '09 TL I thought I'd take a stab at this. If I'm not mistaken most of the quoted 0-60 times suggest the TL is about a 6.0" car while the 535 is around 5.4". Beyond these sterile numbers, I can tell you that the TL is quicker off the line up to around 20 mph. After that the 535 will simply leave it in the dust. The amount of pull available in the 535 from 20mph to ??? is simply ferocious. The car pulls like a mule at pretty much any speed above 20mph. I can tell you that on the highway it's very difficult to keep this car below 80mph. Not that the TL is any slouch, it's just that the BMW is a monster. And it's so smooth and quiet that it's almost eerie at times. Most of you who have read any of my posts know that I loved my TL, and justifiably so, but any comparison to the 535 -- whether re: speed, refinement, equipment, technology or quality of fit and finish -- is just silly. They're just entirely different classes of vehicles as the ~$20k price differential would suggest.

BTW, BMW is known to be ridulously conservative in the power ratings of their engines. So, while the 535 is rated at 300hp/300lb.ft. of torque I'd bet both numbers are closer to 330.

Oh, there is one area in which the TL is clearly superior. It's nav system absolutely blows away the nav in the 535. BMW should be ashamed installing such a mediocre nav system in this otherwise superb car.

Last edited by PsychDoc; 09-30-2011 at 10:59 PM.
Old 10-01-2011, 08:41 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by under9hell
A years ago my friend bought an Mdx. Beautiful vehicle. 7500 mile ordinary service the Acura dealer charged him 275. Ouch that is outrageous. At least with BMW you know what your b to b maintenance costs are for four years. I know you pay for it upfront .
Old 10-01-2011, 09:34 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by jjsC5
Out of the box I am about a tenth slower then the new 650, with the JB4 map 2 installed a few tenths faster.

With the JB4 on map 2 against an E92 M3 it’s a drivers race with the DTC having an advantage over the 6MT.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:27 AM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Another ridiculous thread by an another immature driver. The 5 is owned by old people??? Please, maybe you really can’t afford the BMW. OP, you really need to save your money and take a trip to Germany and drive the Autobahn in a German automobile rather then Saturday night traffic light races.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:46 AM
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 20 Posts
A years ago my friend bought an Mdx. Beautiful vehicle. 7500 mile ordinary service the Acura dealer charged him 275. Ouch that is outrageous. At least with BMW you know what your b to b maintenance costs are for four years. I know you pay for it upfront .
Yeah that's a nice thing if you don't plan to keep it after 50k miles. After warranty/free maintenance runs out, everything is expensive. I actually never had any major repair on my previous bimmers, but even small fixes and regular maintenance cost alot more than Honda. Of course you can do many things at home but I'm just comparing dealer cost for both vehicles.
My next BMW will be either a CPO or have extended warranty. I'm still missing my Z
Old 10-03-2011, 02:22 PM
Love Guru

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts
Wow... reading this thread make me feel that I am at an anti-TL section.... I am going to trade my TL in for a 5-series now...
Old 10-03-2011, 03:07 PM
Pro

TL is superior to any BMW's, that goes without saying!

And maintenance on TL is pretty much non existent other than changing the oil every 6-8K miles. Pretty cut and dry!
Old 10-03-2011, 04:10 PM
Burning Brakes

I'm not sure it goes without saying.
Old 10-03-2011, 04:25 PM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
Okay, back to the my Bimmers better than you're Ack! LOL What a riot, for the extra cheddar the BMW should be better, however they know how we Americans are, most of us could give a flip about quality and reliability as long as it's European, runs, and says I dump a lot of money honey on this ride. So far the number of Bimmers being traded in where I work is growing...something about the maintenance on them, hmmm.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is Acura TL faster than BMW 5 or 7 series?