Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Acura TL base vs G37

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 08:10 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Acura TL base vs G37

I have narrowed down my search for a new vehicle between the TL base and the G37.
I have not made up my mind as of yet but I am sure that I can get some real valuable information from this site, pros , cons etc.
I would appreciate any information and opinions that would help my decision.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:18 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was going to do the same when my lease was up but looking at the amount of G37's on the road it's a generic looking car to me, the TL is new and not too many on the road. The interior and options in a Base TL are a little more robust than a G37.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:24 AM
Missing My CL-S

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
the TL's interior is much nicer but the G37 is faster. but i would probably go w/ the TL
Old 04-19-2010, 10:20 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
My search came down to the same two cars. I went with the TL because...

After negotiating (hard) the prices were similar.

The TL was larger (I just had a baby girl).

The TL's interior was roomier.

The TL had much better technology (stereo and Nav were superior)

I'm one of the guys that loves the look of the new TL.

The only thing the G37 had was slightly better straight-line performance, but I think the TL AWD handled better. I'm pretty sure a recent comparison between the S4, TL, G37, and a BMW had the TL coming in second place on the track too--although they ranked the car low because of it's controversial styling.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:32 AM
Missing My CL-S

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by SG81
the TL's interior is much nicer but the G37 is faster. but i would probably go w/ the TL
actually, i take back my previous post. i'd only get the TL over the G if the TL was the Tech AWD with 6MT
Old 04-19-2010, 10:37 AM
B A N N E D

Location: The grande.. Riverdale NJ.. Hopefully moving to skyline village in Lincoln park NJ..yes dirty jersey
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The G37X with premium and NAV is $41,100 and the Tech FWD TL with 18" wheels is $40K. The G has 50 more HP then the FWD TL and 25 more then the AWD TL. The G has a 7 speed transmission and the TL has a 5 speed. The Nav in the G is SUperior then the one in the TL (whoever said oppisite never used the Nav in the G) The nav in the G has everything the TL nav has (nav traffic, weather and Zagat) and it is alot easier to use ( you can touch the screen use the infiniti controler or voice) the voice is alot easeir use use in the G ( i know this for a fact) and the blutooth is more advanced you can evien play audio via bluetooth.. If you get a g journey with prem/nav/tech it will be cheaper then the FWD TL and you get more tech.. Advanced cruise controll AFS ligting ..

Tell me one thing the TL tech has that the G prem/nav/tech does not have?
Old 04-19-2010, 10:37 AM
Advanced

I think if you're going to choose between the G37 and a base TL, you should go with the G37. Now I don't know what options you're looking for on your car, but the base G37 is still less than the base TL and you get the 328 hp engine, which is 48 hp more than the TL.

If performance doesn't matter to you, the TL is roomier inside and I think gets better gas mileage. But if you're able to afford a luxury / near-luxury sedan who cares about a mile or two per gallon. The TL's technology package I understand is superior.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:41 AM
B A N N E D

Location: The grande.. Riverdale NJ.. Hopefully moving to skyline village in Lincoln park NJ..yes dirty jersey
This is a fully loaded G37 RWD

Base MSRP* $34,450.00
Exterior Color
Lakeshore Slate
Interior Color and Trim
Wheat Leather / Maple Accents
Packages and Options
Technology Package $1,150.00
Premium Package $2,150.00
Navigation Package $1,850.00
Performance Tire and Wheel Package $500.00
Interior Accents Package $550.00
Configured MSRP* $40,650.00
Destination and Handling $865.00
Total MSRP* $41,515.00

• Power sliding tinted glass moonroof with one-touch open/close, tilt feature and sliding sunshade
• Infiniti Studio on Wheels® by Bose® Premium Audio System, CD player with MP3 playback capability, Radio Data System (RDS), and 10 speakers, including 3-way component front door speakers with 10-inch subwoofers and a parcel shelf-mounted subwoofer
• Driver's Audio Stage
• 2.0GB Music Box® (800 MB for music storage)
• Memory system for driver's seat, steering wheel and outside mirrors
• Driver's seat, steering wheel and outside mirror position synchronization
• Power tilt and telescopic steering wheel
• Rear Sonar System[10]
• Infiniti Hard Drive Navigation System with touch-screen, Lane Guidance and 3-D building graphics[12]
• XM NavTraffic®[1] with Real-Time Traffic information
• XM NavWeather™ with Real-Time Weather and 3-day forecast[1]
• Zagat® RestaurantGuide
• Streaming audio via Bluetooth® wireless technology[2]
• 9.3GB Music Box® hard drive (replaces 2.0GB Music Box®-800MB for music storage)
• DVD video playback on 7-inch display
• Infiniti Voice Recognition for audio, information and navigation systems
• Intelligent Cruise Control[13] with Preview Braking[11]
• Advanced Climate Control System with Plasmacluster™ air purifier
• Rain-sensing, flat-blade variable intermittent front windshield wipers
• Pre• Split 7-spoke, 18 x 7.5-inch aluminum-alloy wheels with 225/50R18 V-rated all-season tires (front and rear)
Old 04-19-2010, 11:06 AM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I was in the same situation just last week.

I came from a 2010 TL SHAWD, but for me, it was a bit too expensive and the ride was too firm/noisy. It handled well, but i never really made full use of the SHAWD system, and since I live in california, I don't see much bad weather. It got totaled last month and i used this chance to move down in payments.

I went straight to the Base TL+Tech, G37 Sedan Journey+Premium+Nav to test drive.

The Base TL is significantly quieter than the SHAWD TL and it absorbs bumps better. The SHAWD was kind of noisy and hand a firm and noisy ride. I'm driving the same routes now in the Base TL that I used to drive in the SHAWD TL and don't notice any difference in handling. I think the SHAWD system is made more for the "twisties".

The G37 Journey + Premium + Nav was an "ok" vehicle. The interior/trunk are smaller than the Base TL. Interior wise, it's no contest, the TL is better in pretty much every way. The ride seems similar, both cars were pretty quiet. Although the TL was quieter overall. The G37 was clearly faster though and the engine was much louder at higher RPMs. The TL will be enough for most people. I didn't time the cars for their 0-60, but i had absolutely no trouble passing or keeping up with traffic in either car.

I couldn't get the salesman @ infiniti to go below $38k after taxes and fees. I got Acura to go for $37k after taxes and fees so i went with the Base TL. I should have gone with this since the beginning due to the savings and quieter/smoother ride over the SHAWD model.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:08 AM
got brohoes?

... Bro.. RWD vs FWD..
Old 04-19-2010, 11:36 AM
The Sicilian

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Didn't even consider the G37. Mine decision came down between the 2010 Maxima & 2010 TL. Have owned 2 Maximas and loved them.
My sister has owned 2 G's. A 2005 G35X and currently a 2007 G35X.

The only plus the G has going for it is it's a fast car (Cop Magnet).

I agree with the previos posters about choosing TL over the G, the TL is roomier and have a much more comfortable ride. It is more spacious inside. I think it's a lot of car for the money.

My brother-in-law hates riding in my sister, his wifes G35. He is a big guy and has a bad back.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:37 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by StonedCL
The Nav in the G is SUperior then the one in the TL (whoever said oppisite never used the Nav in the G) The nav in the G has everything the TL nav has (nav traffic, weather and Zagat) and it is alot easier to use ( you can touch the screen use the infiniti controler or voice) the voice is alot easeir use use in the G ( i know this for a fact) and the blutooth is more advanced you can evien play audio via bluetooth.
I respectfully disagree. The G37x has all of the same checkbox features (the TL can play Bluetooth audio as well), but the touch screen adds little to the functionality in my opinion, and I found the prompts--both voice and on-screen--and guidance from the TL's nav to be superior.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:50 AM
Advanced

FYI :In Canada the pricing is as follows :

TL Base : 39,990 G37 : 38,690

In order to get a sunroof and bluetooth ( the TL comes equiped with these items as standard equipment) on the G37 you need to get the Touring package at $4,700 ( which includes a rear view monitor and other options) but it brings a G37 up to about $43,390).
The Tl seems to be very well equipmented even in "Base" form.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:43 PM
Instructor

The G37X with premium and NAV is $41,100 and the Tech FWD TL with 18" wheels is $40K. The G has 50 more HP then the FWD TL and 25 more then the AWD TL. The G has a 7 speed transmission and the TL has a 5 speed. The Nav in the G is SUperior then the one in the TL (whoever said oppisite never used the Nav in the G) The nav in the G has everything the TL nav has (nav traffic, weather and Zagat) and it is alot easier to use ( you can touch the screen use the infiniti controler or voice) the voice is alot easeir use use in the G ( i know this for a fact) and the blutooth is more advanced you can evien play audio via bluetooth.. If you get a g journey with prem/nav/tech it will be cheaper then the FWD TL and you get more tech.. Advanced cruise controll AFS ligting ..

Tell me one thing the TL tech has that the G prem/nav/tech does not have?
I disagree also, One huge thing the TL nav has that the G doesn't is the ability to use it while in motion. And I don't mean by speech. Ask how many people on this forum actually use the voice command on any car for directions? Not being able to change POI's on the fly is very annoying. Sometimes you are on the phone and someone is telling you an address, it's not like you're going to say let me call you back while I input the address.

In actuality the G's Nav is one of the reasons I didn't buy it. Nissan overall has this feature in all its vehicle. While a safety feature is very annoying. What is a touch screen if you can only use it when you're parked.
Old 04-19-2010, 02:00 PM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by bagbklyn
I disagree also, One huge thing the TL nav has that the G doesn't is the ability to use it while in motion. And I don't mean by speech. Ask how many people on this forum actually use the voice command on any car for directions? Not being able to change POI's on the fly is very annoying. Sometimes you are on the phone and someone is telling you an address, it's not like you're going to say let me call you back while I input the address.

In actuality the G's Nav is one of the reasons I didn't buy it. Nissan overall has this feature in all its vehicle. While a safety feature is very annoying. What is a touch screen if you can only use it when you're parked.
+1000

The Lexus nav suffers the same fate as Infiniti's. Absolute annoying so-called "safety feature" per Lexus and Infiniti. Fine, if you don't want the driver to use nav while the car is moving, okay; but what about the passenger? Why can't the driver's passenger use the nav?

I had nav in my 09 IS 250 AWD I traded in. Most annoying and useless nav, might as well not have it and buy a $100 TomTom unit instead.

IMHO, not being able to use nav while the car is moving means the nav is a useless feature and waste of money.
Old 04-19-2010, 02:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Well the G is definately the more sporty sedan. It's RWD (vs. FWD in the base TL), so it has better handling and is also much quicker. If comfort is more important, then the TL has a roomier cabin and a smoother ride. There's no right or wrong car here.....It's up to the OP to test drive both cars and see which one meets his needs better.
Old 04-19-2010, 02:34 PM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
A base TL vs what I assume is a base G37 sedan as well. In that case the TL will have more standard features and does have only a 5AT but it is in many opinions that it is still more refined than the Infiniti 7AT but it really comes down to how you intend to use the car and which you prefer while driving. The same thing can be said for the TL's electric sterring, which is an awesome feature but if you do not like the feel of it than it's no longer big deal.

I find it interesting that the G measures up very well in cargo and interior space, even better without a sunroof, but when you get in one it seems quite small for it's specs and that appears to be the consensus here as well. If you look at the proportions you will see why, the G is very narrow in width, shorter in length, and OVERLY tall in height. This translates inside to having great head room and head space but not as much anywhere else. IMO unless you are REALLY tall and skinny it's not very usable. For me the TL's width, cabin length and overall larger dimensions make for a more comfortable interior not only for the driver but all passengers as well.

Outside of many things that one may or may not do better than the other, which can be considered mostly subjective, it really comes down to what type of vehicle you want. If you want the smaller sportier theme with more perfomance and feel than you go with the G. If you want the larger, quieter, comfortable cruiser than you go with the TL FWD. If you want a blend of both you get an SH.
Old 04-19-2010, 02:42 PM
Pro

Received 181 Likes on 73 Posts
I know that a lot of us cross shopped the G and the TL. Again, no right or wrong with either car.

But, the G37 (I only compared the G37x to the TL SH AWD) came in 2nd for me.

The NAV difference being a big one. Plus, the stereo in the TL (tech) is a step above the G's.

The big "gottcha" for me anyway, was the trans in the G. Even though it's a 7-speed, it tried its best to get into the higher gear constantly. I'll assume that was for fuel economy reasons. But, that also meant that it seemed to be constantly searching for the right gear. THAT irritated me.

The other bit issue for me were the seats. While the TL's were very comfortable while giving great lateral suport. The sport seats in the G(x) pinched me. I'm not a big guy (5'10", 175 lbs), but they were very uncomfortable.

But, if you don't have the G 37 'S" version, the seats provided next to no lateral support. I couldn't find either seat to be a good fit, whereas the TL's were just about perfect.

The G37 may have more HP, but the TL (SH AWD) has more torque.

While the March incentives for the G were good, especially if you had a VPP number (I did, which netted me employee pricing...that incentive is now over, though). If you aren't on any special programs, the MSRP on the Infiniti may be less. But, the TL tech has a $2,250 dealer incentive. The Infiniti "only has $1,000 incentive right now. So, the price delta between the two in real world numbers is a wash.

At least, that's how I saw the differences.
Old 04-19-2010, 02:44 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by SOCAL BRO!!!
... Bro.. RWD vs FWD..
Some people don't care about that though, most people in the market for a Luxury vehicle aren't too concerned with RWD/FWD and certian performance aspects that some of us on this board are concerned with. 50hp increase to a G37/RWD means nothing to me as I am buying the car with luxary in mind before performance.
Old 04-19-2010, 02:45 PM
B A N N E D

Have u guys even used the navigation in the 2010 G37?
you can put any address while driving using the voice (which is 10X better then the acura voice) the G will pick up the correct numbers and addressed 9 out of 10 times where I stopped using the bluetooth in my acura cuz it never got the number right.
The nav in the G is alot easier to use then in the TL/TSX..
Old 04-19-2010, 02:54 PM
B A N N E D

Acura USED to be a great value for the money but lately it seems like ACURA is going backwards.. I loved the acura product and was a acura Fanboy back when the CL type-s was 30K and the 2004 where the TL loaded to the gills was 34K.. they are not the value they used to be... when comparing apples to apples the G37X is a better car then the TL SHAWD (in every car mag and any car enthusist website) and is $5K cheaper..
Old 04-19-2010, 02:55 PM
Drifting

Acura's idea of what is easier to use is different than what Infiniti's idea of easier to use is and what that really means is it's subjective and it really depends on the person using it. I do know that a base TL has bluetooth and base G does not.
Old 04-19-2010, 03:15 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by winstrolvtec
Acura's idea of what is easier to use is different than what Infiniti's idea of easier to use is and what that really means is it's subjective and it really depends on the person using it. I do know that a base TL has bluetooth and base G does not.
Actully the 2010 Base G37X DOES have bluetooth standard and homelink and even a backup camera and keyless entry and push button start STANDARD.
They made the homelink/bluetooth and backup camera STANDARD for 2010..
SO before you talk do the research..

And to get the push button start and camera u have to go with the tech on the TL..
Old 04-19-2010, 03:30 PM
Drifting

Actully the 2010 Base G37X DOES have bluetooth standard and homelink and even a backup camera and keyless entry and push button start STANDARD.
They made the homelink/bluetooth and backup camera STANDARD for 2010..
SO before you talk do the research..

And to get the push button start and camera u have to go with the tech on the TL..
You said G37x, I said base as in G37 RWD that is around the same price as a base FWD TL that the OP is talking about. Why don't you slow down, we are only trading points about each car. The base G37x does include the journey package that you find for the RWD but that is not what I was talking about.
Old 04-19-2010, 04:39 PM
Burning Brakes

I honestly think you should go with the TL.. the reason being is that ive driven both and as alot of people in here are stating, the only big difference is the straight line speed the g35/37 has over the tl.

TL- My friend just bought a black 2009 tech model and ive driven it a numerous amount of times. The TL's interior is superior to the G. The quality of the materials are far greater to that of the g in all aspects in my opinion. The the room in the tl beats the g hands and is soo much more comfortable. The cabin noise in the tl is alot less than the g as well. I know the TL is FWD and many people do not like it unless you opt for the awd, but depending on where you live it might just more than suffice your needs for everyday driving. The nav in the tl isnt bad at all and the interface is pretty decent as well. The HDD and everything in the tl is pretty nice as well.

G35/37: Okay well my roommate now just picked up an 07 or 08 g35 sedan with the tech package. I do not like the car at all. The car is very small and has no room. It only fits 4 people in the car since it has a huge hump in the middle in the back ,and sitting behind the driver sucks since it makes it uncomfortable for the driver and the person sitting behind them. The material quality is horrible! all the metals are painted in there and a three year old car should not look like a ten year old car inside. All the black painted pieces are scratched up and makes it look terribly cheap. You spend so much time in your car so you should be content with what you have bought and feel comfortable in it. the throttle in the g is horrible, my necks hurts after driving that thing every time since it is soo damn sensitive. The nav in the car is pretty nice and does a really good job of traffic alerts and things of that nature. The system is good but the tl to me seems to have a nicer audio system. I will admit the car is fast as hell and is basically a 4 door sports coupe.
Old 04-19-2010, 04:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by docboy
+1000

The Lexus nav suffers the same fate as Infiniti's. Absolute annoying so-called "safety feature" per Lexus and Infiniti. Fine, if you don't want the driver to use nav while the car is moving, okay; but what about the passenger? Why can't the driver's passenger use the nav?

I had nav in my 09 IS 250 AWD I traded in. Most annoying and useless nav, might as well not have it and buy a $100 TomTom unit instead.

IMHO, not being able to use nav while the car is moving means the nav is a useless feature and waste of money.
I just like to point out that you guys are factually incorrect on one thing. The Nissan/Infiniti nav systems do not lock you out of EVERY feature while the car is in motion. There are about half the functions still available but it doesn't lock you out of everything like the Toyota/Lexus nav system does. All in all though, Acura has the best followed by Infiniti followed by Lexus
Old 04-19-2010, 04:50 PM
Drifting

Acura USED to be a great value for the money but lately it seems like ACURA is going backwards.. I loved the acura product and was a acura Fanboy back when the CL type-s was 30K and the 2004 where the TL loaded to the gills was 34K.. they are not the value they used to be... when comparing apples to apples the G37X is a better car then the TL SHAWD (in every car mag and any car enthusist website) and is $5K cheaper..
A magazine or publication only really concerns themselves with the more powerful, lighter, smaller, faster with pure sport feel. From that point of view and in those regards it is a better car but I, like many others here who have a 4G, have slightly different priorities and don't care for some of those traits to begin with and/or don't mind giving some of that up for something else we value more in return. If the G was such a better car overall to me and many of us here, we would have bought one. All we are pointing out in this thread are reasons why you buy the G and reasons why you buy a TL.

I can tell you that my TL SH kicks the sh*t out my former 3G A-spec and TLS in every way and although it carries a much higher price tag, it costs me less to own this car than it does either one of those under the same terms and amount of money down. No longer being a fan is one thing, considering it less of a value is another. It at the very least represents the same value when you take everything into consideration and in my case anyone can clearly see it is an even better one. You can't simply compare a price tag from 5 years ago to today and draw that kind of conclusion.

And if you want to actually compare apples to apples a G37x with premium, navigation, 18in tire and wheel package and rear spoiler is nowhere near $5k cheaper. We can argue all day about what level of equipment it should or should not have to best compare but in any case as described it is $1,220 cheaper, with sport package it's $620 cheaper and depending, it can get up to $1080 more expensive but unlike it's competitors there is no available 6MT. I don't see how this is such a better value compared to the TL SH but based on value, I would take a comparable G model over a similarly priced A4 and 328i model (or higher) done the same.
Old 04-19-2010, 04:54 PM
Pro

Received 181 Likes on 73 Posts
Just in the test drives I did on the G37x with nav (3), it didn't come close to the usability of the TL's NAV. Its voice recognition was worse, As previously mentioned, you couldn't toggle through the commands while driving. Plus, buetooth music streaming didn't work nearly as well on the G stereo as it does in the TL (numerous dropouts with the G).

I was also put off by what the Inifiniti service guys told me about maintenance. It was either at 15K, or 30K miles, but at those intervals, the service bill would be in excess of $1,000/ea. Plus, apparently there's some sort of special oil (read expensive) that contains "esther"? Those oil changes ran $100 with a tire rotation. And, instead of relying on the computer to tell when oil changes were due, they highly recommended the 'ole 3,000-3,500 mile oil changes for all but the most gentle of driving parameters.

The Acura service people said that they have total faith in the Acura computer telling them when service is needed and that oil changes should pop up at 1/2 the intervals as the Infiniti would. Plus, I've got an independent mechanic that I have a load of faith in who would do routine maintenance less than my Acura dealer.

Again, no bad choices here between the G and the TL. I can certainly understand someone choosing one over the other. But, the above were my experiences.
Old 04-19-2010, 04:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

Its interesting how some people attack the G37 on here most of which is purely without merit. Take it from a guy who has a Acura and a Infiniti, it depends on what your looking for in a car. I think that overall, the TL has the best overall value, comfort, quietness and technology compared to the G37 but the G37 is superior in the handling/performance department. If you want something that is more sport oriented with better handling/performance I'd tell you to get a G37 sedan, but if you want something that handles/performs adequately and has more room/creature comfort and slightly better technology I'd tell you to get a TL. Again it all depends on what you want. The G37 is not as bad in material quality/refinement and navigation as some on here have tried to crucify it as but its a great alternative to the TL depending on your family and what your looking for in a luxury vehicle.
Old 04-19-2010, 04:59 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by winstrolvtec
You said G37x, I said base as in G37 RWD that is around the same price as a base FWD TL that the OP is talking about. Why don't you slow down, we are only trading points about each car. The base G37x does include the journey package that you find for the RWD but that is not what I was talking about.
Base MSRP* $34,450.00
Configured MSRP* $34,450.00
Total MSRP* $35,315.00

G37 Journey DOes have bluetooth and rear camera standard..It has everything the G37X has, we do not deal with the jouney models in NJ so I am not as familiar with them but just checked and the journey has EVERYTHING the x has except the AWD..and is $35,315

The TL FWD base (which has less then the G37 Journey)
Destination$810 Total as Configured*$35,915

So the FWD TL is $600 more
So if you compare apples to apples then there you go.. The G is cheaper with more HP more Gears and more options standard..Camera, push button start.

Go to AWD and the G37X is Total MSRP* $36,915.00 and the TL AWD is Total as Configured*$39,465 SO the G has more options more HP and more gears and is $2500 Less.. Apples to apples...

Then you add premium and nav and you get everything the TECH TL has but ALSO cheaper...
Old 04-19-2010, 05:03 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by graphicguy
Just in the test drives I did on the G37x with nav (3), it didn't come close to the usability of the TL's NAV. Its voice recognition was worse, As previously mentioned, you couldn't toggle through the commands while driving. Plus, buetooth music streaming didn't work nearly as well on the G stereo as it does in the TL (numerous dropouts with the G).

I was also put off by what the Inifiniti service guys told me about maintenance. It was either at 15K, or 30K miles, but at those intervals, the service bill would be in excess of $1,000/ea. Plus, apparently there's some sort of special oil (read expensive) that contains "esther"? Those oil changes ran $100 with a tire rotation. And, instead of relying on the computer to tell when oil changes were due, they highly recommended the 'ole 3,000-3,500 mile oil changes for all but the most gentle of driving parameters.

The Acura service people said that they have total faith in the Acura computer telling them when service is needed and that oil changes should pop up at 1/2 the intervals as the Infiniti would. Plus, I've got an independent mechanic that I have a load of faith in who would do routine maintenance less than my Acura dealer.

Again, no bad choices here between the G and the TL. I can certainly understand someone choosing one over the other. But, the above were my experiences.
Dude you have no clue what you are talking about.. oil change is less the $40 and NO service is $1000...I have a TSX and the voice commands on the acura are pre-historuic compared to the G.. ANd the computer does tell you when Maintence is needed on the "G" I have no clue what IDIOTS you where dealing with.. ANd you can toggle through all the cammands on the streeing wheel for the navigation..
Old 04-19-2010, 05:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Base MSRP* $34,450.00
Total MSRP* $35,315.00

G37 Journey DOes have bluetooth and rear camera standard..It has everything the G37X has, we do not deal with the jouney models in NJ so I am not as familiar with them but just checked and the journey has EVERYTHING the x has except the AWD..and is $35,315

So if you compare apples to apples then there you go.. The G is cheaper with more HP more Gears and more options standard..Camera, push button start.

Go to AWD and the G37X is Total MSRP* $36,915.00 and the TL AWD is Total as Configured*$39,465 SO the G has more options more HP and more gears and is $2500 Less.. Apples to apples...

Then you add premium and nav and you get everything the TECH TL has but ALSO cheaper...
Good luck finding a base G37 journey in NJ. At my two local Infiniti dealers, they order nothing but AWD and premium packages for all their G37 Sedans at the minimum so the cheapest I can find a G on the lot is $39,600!
Old 04-19-2010, 05:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

Dude you have no clue what you are talking about.. oil change is less the $40 and NO service is $1000...I have a TSX and the voice commands on the acura are pre-historuic compared to the G.. ANd the computer does tell you when Maintence is needed on the "G" I have no clue what IDIOTS you where dealing with..
One big advantage the G37 and all Infiniti nav systems have over the TL and Acura is they still use touch screen which for me, I like best and is more intuitive. I think it was a mistake for Acura to get rid of that on all their models starting in 2009. But overall, the Acura nav system is better than the Infiniti's in every other way (graphics, size, no lock out, more options/destination stored in system), but don't get me wrong, I like the Infiniti's system too, especially how easy to use it is compared to the TLs.
Old 04-19-2010, 05:15 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by smarty666
Good luck finding a base G37 journey in NJ. At my two local Infiniti dealers, they order nothing but AWD and premium packages for all their G37 Sedans at the minimum so the cheapest I can find a G on the lot is $39,600!
I was just comparing apples to apples when I compared the G37X the guy cursed me cuz the OP was comparing the AWD.. I know u cant get a G37 journey in NJ. I work for the largest Infinti dealer in NJ.. I used to work for Acura but had to get out, I could not sell something I did not like, I I used the nav/voice command in the 09TL/TSX/RL and the G nav is better.. I used both for not 10-15 min but days.. Like I said before I had to shut off the bluetooth in my TSX cuz it can never get the dam number right and the G gets it right 9 out of ten times..
Old 04-19-2010, 05:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

I was just comparing apples to apples when I compared the G37X the guy cursed me cuz the OP was comparing the AWD.. I know u cant get a G37 journey in NJ. I work for the largest Infinti dealer in NJ.. I used to work for Acura but had to get out, I could not sell something I did not like, I I used the nav/voice command in the 09TL/TSX/RL and the G nav is better.. I used both for not 10-15 min but days.. Like I said before I had to shut off the bluetooth in my TSX cuz it can never get the dam number right and the G gets it right 9 out of ten times..
Wow, I don't think the voice commands are good in the Infiniti or Acura and don't use either because they are never get it right. I end of using the buttons but at least in the Infiniti you still have the touch screen. Personally, I like touch screen nav systems and feel they are the most intuitive, you see button, you push button. I don't like how most of the auto industry is getting rid of the touch screen, Lexus comes to mind with that stupid ass mouse controller thing they have and Acura has gotten rid of it compeletely. I have never had problems with the bluetooth in my Acura or Infiniti so I can't comment on that one. They both seem pretty accurate to me, maybe there is something wrong with your TSX's.
Old 04-19-2010, 05:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
I have looked at both several times, the G NAV is too outdated compared to the big crisp TL NAV. The G is in year 4 of 5 vs. 2 of 5 for the TL the G will be out of style in 18 months or sooner depending on when they release the 2012 G, could be as early as 8-10 months from now. I found the TL quiter inside than the G, the road noise on the G was more noticable than the TL. The G cabin is tight, almost cramped. And from a build quality I find the TL materials to be better. Look at older G's the leather seats wear rapidly from all those I have seen. The 4G TL leather is sweet, mine is 14 months old with 17K miles and barely has anything that woudl resemble wear. The ELS sound system is clearer and more powerful than the G Bose. Dont; get me wrong I love Infiniti styling and if it were not for the awesome ride of the 4G AWD I would be in a G right now!
Old 04-19-2010, 05:57 PM
Drifting

Base MSRP* $34,450.00
Total MSRP* $35,315.00

Your point is valid, if you compare pricing of a G Journey and Base TL. I didn't argue against that and won't but I am talking about base vs base, a base G sedan in RWD and base FWD TL. A base G sedan (RWD) has no bluetooth and the reason a base TL is more money than a base G is because a base TL has many features of the Journey package, like memory seats, sunroof and bluetooth, etc, but not necessarily all.

Where you're wrong is the G AWD vs a non tech SH is only $2500 less, not $5k but you need to add 18's to the G AWD and arguably you can add the sport package so the TL SH non tech is only really $1400 or $2k more depending on if you opt for 18's or the whole sport package. That is if you can even add the rims or sport package by itself and not have to add the premium package as well in order to get that. In the AWD base models there is more in a G but when it comes time to add premium, navi, sport (or at least 18's) and a rear spoiler and any installation if applies and it costs about $5k-$6k in the G where all that stuff is combined in the TL tech package and already present for $3700.
Old 04-19-2010, 06:58 PM
Instructor

To the original poster, if you tell us what you're looking for then we can tell you if the TL is right for you?

I have a baby on the way, when I went to cross shop cars. The first my wife and I did was sit in the back seat. This knocked the A4,Q5, TSX, and G out. I'm about 6 feet and like to have my chair back. The TL has the most space. If kids weren't an option and I was going buy the Infiniti, I would definitely have to hack the system and do a bypass for the motion issue.

If you're into spirited driving, and like the umph go with the G. If you want to have a lot of space and stand out more from the crowd go with a TL. Both cars are good, it all depends on your needs and wants.

Most if not all TL owners cross shopped the G since it wasn't until this generation that the TL got AWD which made it truly a competitor to the G and now above the G since it comes in AWD 6-spd.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by bagbklyn
To the original poster, if you tell us what you're looking for then we can tell you if the TL is right for you?

I have a baby on the way, when I went to cross shop cars. The first my wife and I did was sit in the back seat. This knocked the A4,Q5, TSX, and G out. I'm about 6 feet and like to have my chair back. The TL has the most space. If kids weren't an option and I was going buy the Infiniti, I would definitely have to hack the system and do a bypass for the motion issue.

If you're into spirited driving, and like the umph go with the G. If you want to have a lot of space and stand out more from the crowd go with a TL. Both cars are good, it all depends on your needs and wants.

Most if not all TL owners cross shopped the G since it wasn't until this generation that the TL got AWD which made it truly a competitor to the G and now above the G since it comes in AWD 6-spd.
Personally, if you have a family and kids, I think the TL would be a better fit for you then a G37 since the rear of the 4G has more room in just about every dimension compared to the G37 though some families might make it work. I think the biggest compliant I had about the G37 is the width. It is the most narrow car in the entry-level luxury segment which diminishes the hip and shoulder room. The length and height of the G37 were perfect, at least for my taste, affording very good head and leg room both front/rear but the lack of width made the car feel cramp and I knew after two weeks, that cramp feeling would get old. Thats mainly what geared me to the Maxima. At least for me, it came down to the TL and the Maxima and I was willing to sacrifice a very slight downgrade in the interior to be in the Maxima because I liked the size and exterior design over the new TL. Again, just my !

I have heard people go both ways on the new Maxima and TL. I belong to a Maxima forum and there are several people like myself who have prior TLs but couldn't just make the case of fit for a new 4G (mainly due to size and exterior styling) and liked the Maxima better and I've read plenty of people on hear who felt the opposite so you can take it with a grain of salt.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

well...i believe you have all the info you need to make your decision based in this thread- and ultimately, it is up to your driving preference. Do you want a Sedan that's Sporty- get the TL- if you want a "true" Sports Sedan, get the G man. Drive em both. GL

Quick Reply: Acura TL base vs G37