Acura TL 2010 SHAWD 3.7L - Engine issues? - AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

Notices

Acura TL 2010 SHAWD 3.7L - Engine issues?

Old 02-09-2016, 01:29 PM
  #1  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 39
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Acura TL 2010 SHAWD 3.7L - Engine issues?

Acura TL 2010 SHAWD 3.7L - Engine issues?

So, my car just got paid for and I rolled over 108K. I took it to my mechanic (not acura) to get a timing belt changed and also told him that I'm starting to hear some pinging and it may need a valve adjustment. He just called and said that he wasn't going to do anything on it because he thinks there is a main bearing making a noise a piston slapping. Basically he told me that he'd trade it in.

So... now I'm sitting here wondering... WTF. I changed the oil regularly MYSELF with 5w-20 Full Synthetic every single time. I only let the maintenance minder get down to 15% one time and usually changed oil at 40%. I NEVER used anything besides Premium gas....NEVER. I'm wondering how this could be on an Acura with 108K miles!!!

Are people seeing problems in their 3.7L engines? I know they stopped making them a couple years ago and now they only go up to 3.5L.

I trust my mechanic. Heck, he's not making any money on telling me this stuff. Thoughts?

Last edited by rsteagall; 02-09-2016 at 01:32 PM.
rsteagall is offline  
Old 02-09-2016, 02:18 PM
  #2  
Registered Member
 
Jakes_tl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Lititz, PA
Age: 32
Posts: 1,901
Thanked 339 Times in 302 Posts
If you trust your mechanic and it is making noise take his advice and trade it in before it gets too bad.
Jakes_tl is offline  
Old 02-09-2016, 03:48 PM
  #3  
Registered Member
 
JM2010 SH-AWD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 2,081
Thanked 355 Times in 241 Posts
Has the car ever been run while it was extremely low on oil? Some 3.7 owners have experienced higher than average oil usage. If you were one of them and let your car run to 15% on the MID, it's possible it was oil-starved, and that would certainly damage a main bearing. I'd get a second opinion before doing anything drastic.
JM2010 SH-AWD is offline  
Old 02-09-2016, 05:50 PM
  #4  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 39
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jakes_tl View Post
If you trust your mechanic and it is making noise take his advice and trade it in before it gets too bad.
That's what I'm feeling right now even though I may not hear/feel the same thing that he's telling me. =\
rsteagall is offline  
Old 02-09-2016, 05:54 PM
  #5  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 39
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JM2010 SH-AWD View Post
Has the car ever been run while it was extremely low on oil? Some 3.7 owners have experienced higher than average oil usage. If you were one of them and let your car run to 15% on the MID, it's possible it was oil-starved, and that would certainly damage a main bearing. I'd get a second opinion before doing anything drastic.

I have added oil on several occasions. So, yes I'm one that has experienced oil usage. I don't think I've let it run starved, but I guess it isn't impossible depending on how much quantifies "starved". No oil light has ever come on for certain and I've kept it up to the best of my knowledge.
rsteagall is offline  
Old 02-09-2016, 08:50 PM
  #6  
Registered Member
 
'99-6SIC6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NoVa
Age: 36
Posts: 194
Thanked 69 Times in 51 Posts
Agree with getting a second opinion, more information you get from someone who knows the engine - the better.

-greg
'99-6SIC6 is offline  
Old 02-09-2016, 11:39 PM
  #7  
Registered Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Drei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 368
Thanked 91 Times in 59 Posts
Go to an Acura dealership and get a second and third opinion
Drei is offline  
Old 02-10-2016, 12:07 AM
  #8  
Senior Moderator
 
csmeance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Daytona Beach/Gainesville FL
Posts: 18,004
Thanked 982 Times in 684 Posts
Originally Posted by rsteagall View Post
Acura TL 2010 SHAWD 3.7L - Engine issues?

So, my car just got paid for and I rolled over 108K. I took it to my mechanic (not acura) to get a timing belt changed and also told him that I'm starting to hear some pinging and it may need a valve adjustment. He just called and said that he wasn't going to do anything on it because he thinks there is a main bearing making a noise a piston slapping. Basically he told me that he'd trade it in.

So... now I'm sitting here wondering... WTF. I changed the oil regularly MYSELF with 5w-20 Full Synthetic every single time. I only let the maintenance minder get down to 15% one time and usually changed oil at 40%. I NEVER used anything besides Premium gas....NEVER. I'm wondering how this could be on an Acura with 108K miles!!!

Are people seeing problems in their 3.7L engines? I know they stopped making them a couple years ago and now they only go up to 3.5L.

I trust my mechanic. Heck, he's not making any money on telling me this stuff. Thoughts?
the 3.7L engines are a tad loud but if your mechanic can diagnose a failing bearing just like that I'd honestly have to think about keeping him. You can check the oil for metallic particles and have it sent out to be tested. The only issue with the 3.7L is oil consumption past 1 quart in 1000 miles. If you've never let it run missing 1 quart you should be fine. Even if you have run it past that, I wouldn't be worried until I get the oil tested or looked at.
csmeance is offline  
Old 02-11-2016, 07:23 PM
  #9  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 39
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by csmeance View Post
the 3.7L engines are a tad loud but if your mechanic can diagnose a failing bearing just like that I'd honestly have to think about keeping him. You can check the oil for metallic particles and have it sent out to be tested. The only issue with the 3.7L is oil consumption past 1 quart in 1000 miles. If you've never let it run missing 1 quart you should be fine. Even if you have run it past that, I wouldn't be worried until I get the oil tested or looked at.
I've had to add 1.5 quarts before at around 40% on the maintenance reminder. Since then I added a quart around 5k miles a couple times. So, yes I do have one that uses excessive oil. Thoughts on it getting 1 quart low before filling or changing? Even if I fill, I end up changing it shortly thereafter.
rsteagall is offline  
Old 02-11-2016, 10:24 PM
  #10  
2010 TL SH-AWD
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Chicago-land
Age: 41
Posts: 315
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
You ever heard what piston slap sounds like? Not a tick or a little ping, more like a Diesel engine. I used to build bottom end blocks with forged piston with some having more piston gap clearance to compensate for heat expansion. The sound is very different and unpleasant when cold.
Anyhow, " an honest mechanic will not stay in business." Food for thoughts.
S power is offline  
Old 02-12-2016, 12:36 PM
  #11  
09 TL SH AWD /w TECH
 
JasonK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Mississauga, Ontario
Age: 29
Posts: 344
Thanked 35 Times in 32 Posts
Shouldn't really be issues with your engine at 108,000 KM. Check your oil level. The 3.7's have oil consumption and you should check your oil every 2-3,000km might be down 1/2 to 1L.

To properly diagnose it I would need to see the car just like any other mechanic.
JasonK is offline  
Old 12-22-2017, 11:03 AM
  #12  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 39
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd like to revisit this post nearly 2 years later with nearly 150k miles on the car. At the time, I ended up taking the car to the dealership that convinced me that there was no issue and that this engine was noisy and sounded like all others they have seen. It was just the "character" of it. I went ahead and let them do the timing belt and valve adjustment. They said they never heard the valve clatter or a knock. However, after doing this I have continued to hear it especially after I let it cool a bit and then did a warm start to start driving again. It seemed to do it more prominently (loudly) when it was getting a quart low which still happens every about 2-3k miles, but it did always do it regardless. When I refiled oil with a quart of 5w30, it always seemed to help. Up until this time I always used 5w20 full synthetic.

This brings me to today....the noise in the engine has continued to grow. Here is a video I did earlier this month:


This was taken by holding my cell phone outside the driver door and under the car. I held my foot on the brake and with the car in drive, I applied a little throttle. You can hear a low end knock and a little valve clatter as I'm giving a little gas. The thing absolutely sounds like a diesel engine. I've taken extremely great car of the car with maintenance. I've never got a door ding and the inside is immaculate. There have never been any electrical issues. The only issue right now is a cracked headlamp where a tire hit the front of the car. I have or maybe had the intention of giving this car to my daughter as her first car in a year. Given the KBB trade-in value these days being less than $7k, I think I'm still going to do it even if I have to replace the engine. What is everyone's thought on this?

Now for the next subject and back to the noise. I'd like to start first by saying that I've never used these products and do not get paid by anyone I'm about to mention....

Earlier on Monday of this week I was pissed off about the noise. I went to the autoparts store and bought a quart of Lucas oil stabilizer in the white bottle. I added about 3./4th of the quart to the engine. After getting it home, parking a while (letting it cool) and then going back out.... all the noises I was hearing after a warm start have completely stopped. Here is a video that I just took within the past hour performing the same actions as before:

That one had a bit of wind noise... here is also another:

Audio doesn't lie.

I'd also like to mention that the car most definitely feels stronger than it has in years. I passed someone yesterday hitting 6k+ rpm and it just seemed like there was total new life in the engine. It actually set me back in my seat a little like it use to do. I sound like a damn infomercial i'm sure.... but the video and my experience doesn't lie.

I know there are 10's of 1000's of these cars out there, but I'm really starting to think that this low weight oil we're all using has hurt these engines causing premature wear. Wear that causes bearings to wear, rings/valves to wear which causes oil consumption, and not enough viscosity to prevent valve/lifter clatter. What are your thoughts on this experience?


Again... two questions above. Thoughts on handing the car down to my daughter even if it means engine replacement later and thoughts on my experience with Lucas..

Thanks guys. I look forward to the conversation and seeing your replies.

Last edited by rsteagall; 12-22-2017 at 11:08 AM.
rsteagall is offline  
Old 12-22-2017, 08:08 PM
  #13  
Registered Member
 
CruzanTLSH-AWD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Age: 33
Posts: 611
Thanked 63 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by rsteagall View Post
I'd like to revisit this post nearly 2 years later with nearly 150k miles on the car. At the time, I ended up taking the car to the dealership that convinced me that there was no issue and that this engine was noisy and sounded like all others they have seen. It was just the "character" of it. I went ahead and let them do the timing belt and valve adjustment. They said they never heard the valve clatter or a knock. However, after doing this I have continued to hear it especially after I let it cool a bit and then did a warm start to start driving again. It seemed to do it more prominently (loudly) when it was getting a quart low which still happens every about 2-3k miles, but it did always do it regardless. When I refiled oil with a quart of 5w30, it always seemed to help. Up until this time I always used 5w20 full synthetic.

This brings me to today....the noise in the engine has continued to grow. Here is a video I did earlier this month:


This was taken by holding my cell phone outside the driver door and under the car. I held my foot on the brake and with the car in drive, I applied a little throttle. You can hear a low end knock and a little valve clatter as I'm giving a little gas. The thing absolutely sounds like a diesel engine. I've taken extremely great car of the car with maintenance. I've never got a door ding and the inside is immaculate. There have never been any electrical issues. The only issue right now is a cracked headlamp where a tire hit the front of the car. I have or maybe had the intention of giving this car to my daughter as her first car in a year. Given the KBB trade-in value these days being less than $7k, I think I'm still going to do it even if I have to replace the engine. What is everyone's thought on this?

Now for the next subject and back to the noise. I'd like to start first by saying that I've never used these products and do not get paid by anyone I'm about to mention....

Earlier on Monday of this week I was pissed off about the noise. I went to the autoparts store and bought a quart of Lucas oil stabilizer in the white bottle. I added about 3./4th of the quart to the engine. After getting it home, parking a while (letting it cool) and then going back out.... all the noises I was hearing after a warm start have completely stopped. Here is a video that I just took within the past hour performing the same actions as before:

That one had a bit of wind noise... here is also another:

Audio doesn't lie.

I'd also like to mention that the car most definitely feels stronger than it has in years. I passed someone yesterday hitting 6k+ rpm and it just seemed like there was total new life in the engine. It actually set me back in my seat a little like it use to do. I sound like a damn infomercial i'm sure.... but the video and my experience doesn't lie.

I know there are 10's of 1000's of these cars out there, but I'm really starting to think that this low weight oil we're all using has hurt these engines causing premature wear. Wear that causes bearings to wear, rings/valves to wear which causes oil consumption, and not enough viscosity to prevent valve/lifter clatter. What are your thoughts on this experience?


Again... two questions above. Thoughts on handing the car down to my daughter even if it means engine replacement later and thoughts on my experience with Lucas..

Thanks guys. I look forward to the conversation and seeing your replies.
3 guys I know had this same exact noise.. Ended up being the rear camshaft needed to be changed. And I agree the car does operate better with 5w-30, 0w40, 5w40. The car is much more quieter and smooth.. And stay away from Mobile 1. Again this noise I believe deeply to be the rear camshaft. 2 2010 6 speed TL had this issue and an MDX. I don't remember the price those guys paid. But the swap them out and was noise free. Also, they both sold their cars within 6 months as well.
CruzanTLSH-AWD is offline  
Old 12-22-2017, 08:36 PM
  #14  
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Age: 27
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can't make a post because I'm new but my 05 tl overheated last night as I made a 40-50 mile ride to another city..I wasn't even looking at my gadges but I pulled into a gas station and noticed my car was running funny and looked at the gadge it was red lined hot so I shut my car off only to restart it to go down the street to my friends house when the engine made a knocking noise and was puttering...my radiator was completely empty I let it cool and filled it up and went on my way about 3 hours later didn't have any issues on the way back..today I put more water in it and noticed a leak By the upper drivers side so I'm thinking bad radiator or my worst case scenario blown head gasket went to a radiator shop today just got them to look they did a pressure test and then ture d on the car and let my radiator fluid spit all over the place and then told me I have a blown head gasket in my head I'm like yea right when I pulled up you guys were sitting around doing nothing and just want money out of me...what's going on with my car..it still purrs like a cat even tho my 02 sensor is bad and making it run like shit
Secret is offline  
Old 12-23-2017, 08:19 AM
  #15  
KCCO
 
MarcoNorthPolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Age: 44
Posts: 1,354
Thanked 192 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by rsteagall View Post
I've had to add 1.5 quarts before at around 40% on the maintenance reminder. Since then I added a quart around 5k miles a couple times. So, yes I do have one that uses excessive oil. Thoughts on it getting 1 quart low before filling or changing? Even if I fill, I end up changing it shortly thereafter.
I change my oil when the MID days 50%, because thatís when most cars with synthetic oil need changing. I know he TL can go longer, but itís peace of mind for me. Also, it gets the oil changed out and full again so I donít have to worry about if Iím running it with the oil low. An oil change every 7,500 km shouldnít break the bank, and if it does, I shouldnít be driving a TL.
MarcoNorthPolo is offline  
Old 12-23-2017, 08:28 AM
  #16  
KCCO
 
MarcoNorthPolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Age: 44
Posts: 1,354
Thanked 192 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by Secret View Post
I can't make a post because I'm new but my 05 tl overheated last night as I made a 40-50 mile ride to another city..I wasn't even looking at my gadges but I pulled into a gas station and noticed my car was running funny and looked at the gadge it was red lined hot so I shut my car off only to restart it to go down the street to my friends house when the engine made a knocking noise and was puttering...my radiator was completely empty I let it cool and filled it up and went on my way about 3 hours later didn't have any issues on the way back..today I put more water in it and noticed a leak By the upper drivers side so I'm thinking bad radiator or my worst case scenario blown head gasket went to a radiator shop today just got them to look they did a pressure test and then ture d on the car and let my radiator fluid spit all over the place and then told me I have a blown head gasket in my head I'm like yea right when I pulled up you guys were sitting around doing nothing and just want money out of me...what's going on with my car..it still purrs like a cat even tho my 02 sensor is bad and making it run like shit
You may have better luck posting in the 3G TL section. This forum is for 09-14 TL’s. Saying that, my first thought is for you to get a 2nd opinion if you don’t trust them. Your coolant problem may have expanded into other more expensive problems because you kept driving it. Great thread hijack, by the way.
MarcoNorthPolo is offline  
Old 12-23-2017, 10:55 AM
  #17  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 39
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcoNorthPolo View Post
I change my oil when the MID days 50%, because thatís when most cars with synthetic oil need changing. I know he TL can go longer, but itís peace of mind for me. Also, it gets the oil changed out and full again so I donít have to worry about if Iím running it with the oil low. An oil change every 7,500 km shouldnít break the bank, and if it does, I shouldnít be driving a TL.

Regardless of that... I still have to add a quart every 2k or so. 2k is about 80% oil maintenance minder.

Beyond oil usage, which I can look past, the knock, valve clatter, or piston slap that started under 100k is the bigger concern. I think these performance engines such as the 3.7l need a heavier weight oil. These manufacturers suggesting oil as low as 0w15 or the like are sacrificing engine longevity for government mandated mpg.
rsteagall is offline  
Old 10-10-2018, 10:13 PM
  #18  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Age: 40
Posts: 276
Thanked 40 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by rsteagall View Post
Acura TL 2010 SHAWD 3.7L - Engine issues?

So, my car just got paid for and I rolled over 108K. I took it to my mechanic (not acura) to get a timing belt changed and also told him that I'm starting to hear some pinging and it may need a valve adjustment. He just called and said that he wasn't going to do anything on it because he thinks there is a main bearing making a noise a piston slapping. Basically he told me that he'd trade it in.

So... now I'm sitting here wondering... WTF. I changed the oil regularly MYSELF with 5w-20 Full Synthetic every single time. I only let the maintenance minder get down to 15% one time and usually changed oil at 40%. I NEVER used anything besides Premium gas....NEVER. I'm wondering how this could be on an Acura with 108K miles!!!

Are people seeing problems in their 3.7L engines? I know they stopped making them a couple years ago and now they only go up to 3.5L.

I trust my mechanic. Heck, he's not making any money on telling me this stuff. Thoughts?
I know itís yeats later but reading this post was like as if I wrote it myself about my car. Exact same scenario. Acura says thatís how it should sound. Other mechanics say something is wrong. The audio I recorded is my car exactly. Did u ever figure what it was? Iíve never been able to figure it out. But Lucas oil does keep it away.
mrphilipanderson is offline  
Old 10-11-2018, 04:03 PM
  #19  
Registered Member
iTrader: (1)
 
losiglow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Age: 37
Posts: 2,541
Thanked 605 Times in 424 Posts
I think the Lucas only helps because it increases oil viscosity.

Did you record video? I only see the previous posters videos.
losiglow is offline  
Old 10-11-2018, 06:43 PM
  #20  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Age: 40
Posts: 276
Thanked 40 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by losiglow View Post
I think the Lucas only helps because it increases oil viscosity.

Did you record video? I only see the previous posters videos.
Im dying to know what it coul dbe
mrphilipanderson is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
gavriil
Automotive News
4235
07-30-2018 09:36 AM
Flipster23
Norcal
245
09-29-2017 09:45 PM
TLSC
Member Cars for Sale
2
04-07-2016 09:53 PM
ExcelerateRep
Car Parts for Sale
3
02-04-2016 10:57 AM
Dropped03AcuraTL
2G TL Performance Parts & Modifications
1
01-13-2016 08:45 AM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Acura TL 2010 SHAWD 3.7L - Engine issues?


Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.