Sponsored by: DashLynx

Acura OEM replacement rims new or re-manufactured

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 09:19 AM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
Acura OEM replacement rims new or re-manufactured

Hi,
I am looking at a set of brand new 2011 awd rims. one of my current rims could be not round. So I got the abnormal wear on front driver side new tire. also the wobbling sound when driving around 20 -30 miles in quite area. I bought that set used rims from NYC, I guess may be the rim is swing based on tire wear. (I had wheels precisely balanced, so not shaking not vibration at all from 0 - 90 miles per hour ) . alignment had been done also. wheel bearing is good.
but now I decide to buy a set of brand new from dealer. peace of mind~~~.
did some research, for stock rims, dealer or any of online oem part retailer charge core price, which I did not know before. I compared the stock wheel (replacement parts) with the sbc wheels in the accessory category, they do not charge core fee.
Then google around about the core charge, which is for certain parts recycling. I suspect that the stock rims exactly same as ones came from the car, even buying from dealership is not brand new. is also re-manufactured by specified company collaborating with acura/honda .
any of you have ideas?

https://www.discountpartsmonster.com...QtYXV0b21hdGlj
https://www.oemacuraparts.com/oem-pa...1hY3VyYQ%3D%3D

Last edited by lltfly; 08-15-2017 at 09:30 AM.
Old 08-15-2017, 10:15 AM
Racer

those two are what I found about my suspiciousness
https://www.hondapartsdirect.com/ahm-rebuilt-p-p

American Honda CORE Return Policy - Bernardi Parts
Old 08-15-2017, 01:53 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 210 Likes on 158 Posts
Buy a set on eBay, Craigslist, or even the Market on AcuraZine.

Why would you replace all four if just one wheel is bad? Buying a new set from the dealer seems like your worst option, the wheels have a list price of $300/wheel...

If you're going that route you might as well find a nice set of aftermarket wheels. I paid $350 (picked up) for a mint condition set 19" Advance wheels locally. Spending $1200 + core charges is absurd. The "?" next to OEMAcuraParts (Peroria Acura) explains exactly what it's there for. You're charged $50 if you don't return the damaged wheel.
Old 08-15-2017, 01:59 PM
Keeping TL until 2029

Received 125 Likes on 108 Posts
http://www.caranddriver.com/features...-tires-testedI like the 18" 5 spoke that came with the Tech Package. It's a light rim. I would get a 3rd party RIM if I were in the market for new rims. i.e. Enkei. I would get a 18 or 19's. I prefer getting 18's to keep the weight down.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...d-performance/

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...d-tires-tested

Last edited by echodigital; 08-15-2017 at 02:03 PM.
Old 08-15-2017, 02:14 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan
Buy a set on eBay, Craigslist, or even the Market on AcuraZine.

Why would you replace all four if just one wheel is bad? Buying a new set from the dealer seems like your worst option, the wheels have a list price of $300/wheel...

If you're going that route you might as well find a nice set of aftermarket wheels. I paid $350 (picked up) for a mint condition set 19" Advance wheels locally. Spending $1200 + core charges is absurd. The "?" next to OEMAcuraParts (Peroria Acura) explains exactly what it's there for. You're charged $50 if you don't return the damaged wheel.
Hi,
Thanks for the advice.
I picked up 2 sets of rims from ebay and cragist, current one is from crag, I had local small tire shop checked the rims, they said one of them has a bit swing, but that is fine. but now, I found the abnormal wear on the outer side of the tire and wobbling sound since first day I installed it. (2 sets are from Chicago and NYC respectively. pothole city). the option I go to brand new from dealer is for peace of mind. and make sure the rim is round at least.
Old 08-22-2017, 02:49 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan
I paid $350 (picked up) for a mint condition set 19" Advance wheels locally.
Damn! that is an incredible price. Was this on FB or Clist or eBay?
Old 08-22-2017, 02:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 210 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by fryrice
Damn! that is an incredible price. Was this on FB or Clist or eBay?
eBay auction that unsuccessfully sold twice. Offered the buyer to come pick them up that same day for that price and was accepted.
The following users liked this post:
fryrice (08-22-2017)
Old 08-23-2017, 09:17 AM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
if you know that the one wheel is bent, you can repair it for around $100~$150.
Most competent places will fix it rounder than from factory - they have roundness scores.
Very good experience with these guys:
https://goo.gl/maps/r7MPXobNKmJ2

i don't know if they service your area, but they have a mobile work station - came to my work and repaired in the parking lot.

If you plan on getting a different set anyways, then as recommended above, add some cash (on to repair cost) and get a used set.
Beware though, purchasing ANY used set runs the risk of purchasing another bent wheel(s) and you may or may not spend extra on mount/balancing labor.
Old 08-23-2017, 09:26 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by lltfly
Hi,
Thanks for the advice.
I picked up 2 sets of rims from ebay and cragist, current one is from crag, I had local small tire shop checked the rims, they said one of them has a bit swing, but that is fine. but now, I found the abnormal wear on the outer side of the tire and wobbling sound since first day I installed it. (2 sets are from Chicago and NYC respectively. pothole city). the option I go to brand new from dealer is for peace of mind. and make sure the rim is round at least.
if by 'has a bit of a swing' you mean lateral movement (side to side), it is not ok... and that cannot be repaired.
You could mount it on one of the rear corners to minimize what you feel, but if you're sensitive to vibrations and drive a lot of highway like me, you will feel it.

Abnormally worn tires are usually alignment issue, especially if only on outer or inner side of the tire - may want to check.
No matter how round and perfectly balanced and worn your wheels and tires are, if your alignment is off, it may not ride smooth.
I learned that the hard way, after getting all 4 wheels/tires checked for bends, balancing at multiple shops, rotating to see if symptoms change, and it didn't.
Noticed slight abnormal wear, took it to a different place for alignment, and BAM, smooth as silk.
Some shops claim they perform complete 4-wheel alignment but only adjust toe, and don't even provide an alignment sheet with before/after readings.
Go to a reputable alignment shop and specifically ask for the alignment sheet. I usually bring my own factory alignment specs and ask the alignment tech to show me the readings before completing the job, so i can ask for minor adjustments within acceptable specs.

Last edited by hoonee46; 08-23-2017 at 09:28 AM.
Old 08-24-2017, 08:05 AM
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts
I was in the same boat recently.

I decided to straighten / repaint the existing rims.

110 each for just straitening.
160 each for the rims that needed paint and straitening.

Total cost was 540. The painted ones do not match the originals they are brighter. I would have spent more money and just bought a new set of 4 or by a used set on craigslist.
Old 08-24-2017, 08:23 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by deanoatkinson

Total cost was 540. The painted ones do not match the originals they are brighter. I would have spent more money and just bought a new set of 4 or by a used set on craigslist.
hmm, if it cost you $540, you repaired + painted all wheels, right? Why would they not match? Just curious
Did you end up painting or dipping the wheels again?

On my previous bmw, after wasting hundreds on tires, I actually purchased a used OEM set that turned out to be bent.
Repaired 2 wheels at a time, then found the 4th to be not repairable due to lateral movement.
Luckily, the guys at Silverstar were nice enough to give me credit for those costs towards a brand new set of refurbished OEM replicas.
Then found out I also needed an alignment, DOH.
I wish there were shops that specialize in vibration correction, that look at wheels/tires, alignment, suspension, etc, to get rid of (or find cause of) that nuisance for a set price.

Hey we all learn from these experiences. Carry on!
Old 08-24-2017, 08:30 AM
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by hoonee46
hmm, if it cost you $540, you repaired + painted all wheels, right? Why would they not match? Just curious
Did you end up painting or dipping the wheels again?

On my previous bmw, after wasting hundreds on tires, I actually purchased a used OEM set that turned out to be bent.
Repaired 2 wheels at a time, then found the 4th to be not repairable due to lateral movement.
Luckily, the guys at Silverstar were nice enough to give me credit for those costs towards a brand new set of refurbished OEM replicas.
Then found out I also needed an alignment, DOH.
I wish there were shops that specialize in vibration correction, that look at wheels/tires, alignment, suspension, etc, to get rid of (or find cause of) that nuisance for a set price.

Hey we all learn from these experiences. Carry on!
The paint mix was just brighter that factory, a wheel repair shop did the work so I can always take it back. I'll see if it bothers me in a few weeks, if so i'll bring it back.
Old 08-24-2017, 10:10 AM
Intermediate

The paint mix was just brighter that factory, a wheel repair shop did the work so I can always take it back. I'll see if it bothers me in a few weeks, if so i'll bring it back.
Do consider plasti-dipping.
From my experience, if done correctly with enough coats, they last a while and could look great.
On an RX-8 I had, I replaced a few bent wheels with used OEM, and since my car was a Shinka edition, it had slightly different colored wheels from factory that I only realized much later. Rather than spend money on painting, I just dipped all of them.
I remember doing 3 coats of black, 2 light coats of dark metallizer, then 3 coats of glossifier. gave it a nice gun-metal and glossy painted look, with metallic sparkles in light which looked MUCH better than stock. Don't use the silver metallizer...
All for ~$30 and a few hours of wrenching and beers with friends.
Old 08-25-2017, 03:36 PM
Racer

That is why I went for brand new OEM. for peace of mind.