Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Acura dealership or TRUSTED mechanic

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 11:25 AM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acura dealership or TRUSTED mechanic

So I have a 2009 TL Base +Tech with over 150k miles on it. I purchased it with 130k miles on it. I wasn't sure whether or not it had already had a timing change done on it so I looked to CarFax (no record found), I also called the previous dealership where it was documented to have been maintained and they stated they don't have it documented where it received a timing change. I am wanting to get it done of course as PREVENTATIVE but am trying to decide if I should take it to the Acura dealership or to my trusted mechanic (over 20 years experience with all makes/models). I recently took my 8th generation Accord coupe 6MT to the Honda dealership to get the timing change done on it and shelled out $750. I've called around and seems that the Acura dealerships are charging around $900+ for this service in the Atlanta, GA area. What are your thoughts on this? Where did you take yours?
Old 11-20-2017, 03:05 PM
Drifting

Received 849 Likes on 605 Posts
I'd price it out with both. I'd trust the Acura dealership to do it right, but they're very likely to be more expensive. Changing the timing belt on the J-series isn't that complicated, so I'm sure your mechanic would do a fine job. If he's cheaper, go with him. The only item to consider is if he uses OEM factory parts or not. I'm not entirely convinced that you have to use the exact OEM parts. But for something pretty critical to the engine, I used all OEM parts for mine - not just OE replacements.
Old 11-20-2017, 04:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 383 Likes on 239 Posts
Why not get it done at the Honda dealership for $750?
Old 11-20-2017, 08:46 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by losiglow
I'd price it out with both. I'd trust the Acura dealership to do it right, but they're very likely to be more expensive. Changing the timing belt on the J-series isn't that complicated, so I'm sure your mechanic would do a fine job. If he's cheaper, go with him. The only item to consider is if he uses OEM factory parts or not. I'm not entirely convinced that you have to use the exact OEM parts. But for something pretty critical to the engine, I used all OEM parts for mine - not just OE replacements.
Yea if I do decide to let him do it, I'll just order the parts from the dealership or either Auto Zone with the warranty. Thanks for your input.
Old 11-20-2017, 08:48 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by a35tl
Why not get it done at the Honda dealership for $750?
SMH, yea maybe I should get a quote with them. My mind is on overload. I didn't even thing about that. Thanks!
Old 11-21-2017, 10:25 AM
Drifting

Received 849 Likes on 605 Posts
Originally Posted by Des_Atl
Yea if I do decide to let him do it, I'll just order the parts from the dealership or either Auto Zone with the warranty. Thanks for your input.
Rockauto.com is a good supplier as well. They're pretty competitively priced (much better than the dealership) and carry a variety of each type of part. They pretty much always have the OEM part, then other compliant OE parts. I ordered all the OEM parts directly from them.
The following users liked this post:
Des_Atl (11-29-2017)
Old 12-11-2017, 06:08 PM
Cruisin'

Des, I just went through a lot with my 2010 SH-AWD. The motor got pretty bad thanks to the previous owners. I had mine taken to Ed Voyels. I absolutely trust my service adviser there and the Tech that he refers to. Mine was a super pricey repair, but that was the Timing Belt along with other things (cam shaft, rocker assemblies cough cough). Also... when a dealer works on your car, that part is warrantied for a good while. Also, a dealer being a larger entity should offer up a higher sense of liability as opposed to a smaller shop that could easily tell you to kick rocks without much blemish on their name. With that said, I would fork over the extra for the dealer. It sucks but it does come with some advantages. Ultimately, it comes down to how long you PLAN to keep your TL and how much it means to you. Good luck.

-If you want my adviser's name, let me know.
Old 12-11-2017, 07:07 PM
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Aisin TKH-002 Engine Timing Belt Kit with Water Pump

Check Amazon $167 for the kit
Des_Atl (12-13-2017)
Old 12-12-2017, 10:34 AM
Drifting

Received 563 Likes on 363 Posts
If you're going to the trouble and expense of doing this (necessary) item of preventative maintenance, I'd use OEM Acura parts. Especially when it comes to anything with bearings, hardened/polished surfaces and/or precision tolerances, I'd shell out the extra for known quality parts as opposed to something that is "sorta right."
Old 12-12-2017, 10:39 AM
moabizzi

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts
If its not too late, Get a quote from the honda dealership, have them email you what they'll do in the service and use that to negotiate the price over at the Acura dealership. I did this this previous summer and it worked out. The Acura Dealership did it for the price of the honda dealership.
Old 12-12-2017, 11:24 AM
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Kakeyoro
Des, I just went through a lot with my 2010 SH-AWD. The motor got pretty bad thanks to the previous owners. I had mine taken to Ed Voyels. I absolutely trust my service adviser there and the Tech that he refers to. Mine was a super pricey repair, but that was the Timing Belt along with other things (cam shaft, rocker assemblies cough cough). Also... when a dealer works on your car, that part is warrantied for a good while. Also, a dealer being a larger entity should offer up a higher sense of liability as opposed to a smaller shop that could easily tell you to kick rocks without much blemish on their name. With that said, I would fork over the extra for the dealer. It sucks but it does come with some advantages. Ultimately, it comes down to how long you PLAN to keep your TL and how much it means to you. Good luck.

per chance, please let me know who your service advisor.
Old 12-13-2017, 07:18 AM
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Acura doesn't actually make timing belts or water pumps, nor do most auto manufacturers. They all buy them from outside vendors that specialize in their manufacture. The water pump on the 4G TL is an Aisin. The timing belt is almost certainly a Mitsubishi.

Any timing belt made for the TL from a major JAPANESE manufacturer is going to be to OEM specs. These vendors live and die by selling to auto companies not you and me and make them to their specs. They have zero incentive to make an inferior product as they'll quickly be out of business.

Buying the Aisin or Gates kit on Amazon will get you the same quality you get from the Acura dealer. Only the bag it comes in will be different. And the total on your monthly credit card bill.
Des_Atl (12-13-2017)
Old 12-13-2017, 08:02 AM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Kakeyoro

You're right! Found out the Honda dealership I take my 8th gen Accord to has a Christmas special on their Timing belt package for $650, so I have an appointment scheduled for this Friday when I come back into town to drop it off and let them take care of it. Even though I've been dealing with my mechanic for several years, I will feel much better knowing that the parts and service will be backed by Honda/Acura so if I'm out of town or something and something happens then it'll be taken care of. Thanks for your response. Also yes, please provide me with that information.
Old 12-13-2017, 08:04 AM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Bat-1
Acura doesn't actually make timing belts or water pumps, nor do most auto manufacturers. They all buy them from outside vendors that specialize in their manufacture. The water pump on the 4G TL is an Aisin. The timing belt is almost certainly a Mitsubishi.

Any timing belt made for the TL from a major JAPANESE manufacturer is going to be to OEM specs. These vendors live and die by selling to auto companies not you and me and make them to their specs. They have zero incentive to make an inferior product as they'll quickly be out of business.

Buying the Aisin or Gates kit on Amazon will get you the same quality you get from the Acura dealer. Only the bag it comes in will be different. And the total on your monthly credit card bill.
Oh wow I didn't know that. Thanks for your response!
Old 12-13-2017, 08:15 AM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by MoAbbas
If its not too late, Get a quote from the honda dealership, have them email you what they'll do in the service and use that to negotiate the price over at the Acura dealership. I did this this previous summer and it worked out. The Acura Dealership did it for the price of the honda dealership.
The Honda dealership that I take my 8th gen Accord coupe to has a Christmas special for $650 on the timing belt package. I made an appointment for this week to drop my TL off there. I wish I would've thought about doing before I scheduled my appointment. Also the Honda dealership is closer to my house than the Acura dealership is so I'm going to take it there.
Old 12-13-2017, 08:17 AM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by JM2010 SH-AWD
If you're going to the trouble and expense of doing this (necessary) item of preventative maintenance, I'd use OEM Acura parts. Especially when it comes to anything with bearings, hardened/polished surfaces and/or precision tolerances, I'd shell out the extra for known quality parts as opposed to something that is "sorta right."
I decided to make an appointment with the Honda dealership. I trust my mechanic, however for this service I'd be at peace knowing I took it to the dealership.
Old 12-13-2017, 09:20 AM
Cruisin'

Sorry guys. I've been out for a few days. So My service adviser's name is Deepesh Kara. Really good guy. Honest and courteous. Straight forward and transparent. He will work with you in trying to get your issues resolved without extra bull shit expenses that other service advisers try to up sell.

Deepesh Kara at Ed Voyels Acura on Peachtree Industrial (close to Brandsmart on 285).
Old 12-14-2017, 07:13 AM
10th Gear

I never suggest making any decision based on price alone. I'd choose a trusted mechanic over any dealership any day of the week. And I'd be more comfortable paying them a little more than a dealership as well.
A private mechanic knows without good customer referrals their business is dead. The dealership will be there regardless.
'Typically' the service advisers at dealerships make commission on the services they sell. They need to feed their family so their 'advice' should always be scrutinized.
The 'techs' typically get paid a flat rate per job so the faster they get yours out and their hands on another car the better for them.
I don't blame these guys at all. I blame the crappy situation the dealership has put them in.