4G TL (2009-2014)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Acceleration Lag is Killing Me....Tell Me it Gets Better!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 03:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by 012TL-GLM
'12 SH-AWD Auto - about to turn 8K miles

Usually drive in S with paddles, but recently performed an ECU reset after the first oil change

Drove the car HARD in D for around half an hour after reconnecting battery. Drives completely different now, hangs onto gears longer when I punch it. However, as has been stated the transmission is programmed for optimal mpg.

When performing california rolls, or slowing down for traffic/curves the car will NOT downshift unless you punch the pedal. If you want good starts in D you need to be below 5 mph to force the tranny back to 1st. More oft than not you'll slow down to around 10mph, and push the pedal to go and you're stuck in 3rd around 1500 rpm....tap that paddle and get back in the action. Once you learn the tricks with the auto, you'll be pleased and really enjoy the car. You can even achieve decent mileage in S mode as long as you're conscious of rpm.
This sounds like the programming on my G. I just got the latest TSB applied, which fixes the "lag" you are referring to. After the flash the car drives totally different, in the positive.

I think all manufacturers do this to save gas. Unfortunately this type of programming results in some driveability issues.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:08 AM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by P_R_N_D
My wife recently got an 09 TL SH-AWD Tech 5AT a few days ago. Having an 07 Type-S myself, naturally my first order of business was to reset the ECU but didn't know how to go about it since it has no key. After playing with it for a bit, I noticed if you hit the start button without putting your foot on the brake pedal, it puts the power in "ACC" mode... and hit it again for "ON" mode. That was the answer I needed for the reset.

For those not familiar with the process...
1) Put the car in "ON" mode (don't start the engine)
2) Push the gas pedal all the way down for about 30 sec. (some say 10 or 15 but it doesn't hurt to go 30 just in case)
3) With the pedal still down turn the car off (for those with a key...don't take it out. For those without a key...just hit the start button again.)
4) Once the power is off, release the pedal.

That should do it... at least that's how it works in my car anyway. My wife reports a more responsive throttle although I haven't driven it for myself. I did the reset without telling her I did it so as to avoid over-thinking it when she drove it. I asked her how it drove the next day and that's when she said it was more responsive, so I assume it worked.

If you haven't tried resetting your ECU yet, I would highly recommend it. It will breath new life into your car again. Especially if you bought used like we did. I do a reset about once a month on mine and I always notice the difference.

Oh... and I know you guys always like pics, so...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Does someone wanna try this so I know I'm not crazy...
Old 07-11-2012, 02:28 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any update on this?
Old 07-11-2012, 06:19 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by gokhanturk
i myself own a 2011 MDX which has the sh-awd, and i feel more lag on that, than i do on my 2012 fwd TL
Try the ecu reset. It made a world of difference for my wife's MDX.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:46 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by P_R_N_D
Does someone wanna try this so I know I'm not crazy...
This didn't work. Any other way to do it other than the battery?
Old 07-12-2012, 06:12 AM
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
Just pulled the negative cable to reset my ECU before my 100 mile commute. Any suggestions on what to look for or how to drive to maintain high performance?
Old 07-12-2012, 07:26 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Hogan9166
Just pulled the negative cable to reset my ECU before my 100 mile commute. Any suggestions on what to look for or how to drive to maintain high performance?
All I can say is, Wow. What a difference.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:25 AM
Advanced

All I can say is, Wow. What a difference.
Did you notice it almost instantly? My problem is the lag from a complete stop.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:40 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
Try downshifting a gear or two before meshing the gas pedal to the floor. Then you'll have instant throttle response.

The higher gears have long ratios and are only good for high speed cruising.
This^

Now, without even thinking about it, I drop the car into "S" before I mash the throttle to the floor.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:50 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by dsm918
Immediately. I mashed the throttle to the floor from a dead stop this morning, immediately after resetting it and it threw me back into the seat like it hasn't done in a long time.

I wish I had known this before. I was contemplating taking it in before I came across this thread.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:52 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by dsm918
One other thing. Make sure you have your radio code before you disconnect your negative battery cable. I didn't have mine and had to call the dealership. The service manager walked me through it over the phone, though and all is good.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:09 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by g37guy01
This sounds like the programming on my G. I just got the latest TSB applied, which fixes the "lag" you are referring to. After the flash the car drives totally different, in the positive.

I think all manufacturers do this to save gas. Unfortunately this type of programming results in some driveability issues.
You got he tab applied to your 2012 TL or some other car. Sorry, your post was a little confusing. What TSB is this?
Old 07-12-2012, 07:11 PM
Advanced

Immediately. I mashed the throttle to the floor from a dead stop this morning, immediately after resetting it and it threw me back into the seat like it hasn't done in a long time.

I wish I had known this before. I was contemplating taking it in before I came across this thread.
Tried disconnecting the negative termial and then went for a test drive. No difference for me still have that awful pause.
Old 07-13-2012, 12:32 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts
that pause is a side effect of drive by wire systems. although acura makes really good ones there is still a bit of lag.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:30 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 119 Posts
The ECU reset will help, but ultimately the only way you're going to get instant response with the auto is to utilize the paddles in S mode. Once you master it, you won't return to D, or as I call it, grocery store mode
Old 07-13-2012, 10:28 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by pickler
that pause is a side effect of drive by wire systems. although acura makes really good ones there is still a bit of lag.
+1 The DBW system has a slow throttle tip in, been an issue going way back. Was present on my '06 6MT.

For what its worth the JB4 on my car has a thing called "lag fix" adjustable from 0 (stock) to 100 (no delay) so its most likely a programming issue that a new Honda factory flash might cure if you complain about it.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:40 PM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I started this thread a while back and did the reset myself. While things are definitely better than pre-reset, the lag is still present if you drive the car like a RWD car (I was a previous G35 driver). The key I've found is to get over the tire-chirping starts from a dead stop and press the gas only after easing into first a bit. The other time the lag is noticeable is when slowing down into a right turn (like at a light) and then pressing the gas. If not done properly the car hangs in too high of a gear as noted by others in this thread. This is when being in S mode definitely helps.

On a side note, be careful what you wish for. I've managed to work my MPG down to around 15-17 on average (base 2012 TL). Yikes! Then again, I am almost 100% city with very few coasting stretches to average it higher. Even on the highway my MPG is usually around 26-27 since the reset where it was 30+ before. Possibly just the effect of A/C though since it is summer in TX.
The following users liked this post:
englishtony2002 (08-17-2013)
Old 07-15-2012, 03:02 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 164 Likes on 115 Posts
yes i did notice the lag on my 2012 fwd TL as well. does the sh-awd have the same issue? im seriously regretting not getting the sh-awd
Old 07-15-2012, 08:52 AM
Advanced

My M3 is drive by wire as well and the lag seems to be minimal. Interestingly there is a option for a sport button. When depressed, it totally eliminates any lag because it changes the throttle position. Makes it super sensitive.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:40 PM
Pro

Received 355 Likes on 190 Posts
Sorry to revive this older thread, but is the previous poster correct with how to reset the ECU via the gas pedal vs disconnecting the negative battery terminal for a 4G???
Old 04-17-2013, 07:48 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Drive it in sport mode around town and in traffic. Regular mode keeps it geared as low as possible to increase MPG. It tends to bog when you throttle on. Sport mode gives you much more precise acceleration
Not an issue, just learn how to use the car
Old 04-17-2013, 12:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 133 Likes on 108 Posts
I rarely "punch it", so the regular, run-of-the-mill lag being discussed is, I think, outside of my concerns. When I need a bit more, I use "S" mode, and that does the trick for me. I don't race...if I did, frankly I'd be looking at a different car.

Lately, however, I've been experiencing a different kind of "lag". It's particularly noticeable when I’m slowing down, and then accelerating prior to coming to a stop. For instance, slowing for the red light, and then it turns green before stopping, so hitting the gas. The “lag”, if you want to call it that, feels like a gearing change, as I’ll actually be pitched forward, and it takes a second for the gas to kick in and puch me back into the seat.

I’ve done the torque converter recall, but I’m wondering if this is a symptom of it having damaged something before the reprogramming. Unfortunately, I don’t know enough about TC function to be able to tell. If it is that, at least the warranty for this has been extended (as my comprehensive expired a few weeks back).
Old 04-17-2013, 01:17 PM
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by sockpuppet
Lately, however, I've been experiencing a different kind of "lag". It's particularly noticeable when I’m slowing down, and then accelerating prior to coming to a stop. For instance, slowing for the red light, and then it turns green before stopping, so hitting the gas. The “lag”, if you want to call it that, feels like a gearing change, as I’ll actually be pitched forward, and it takes a second for the gas to kick in and puch me back into the seat.

I’ve done the torque converter recall, but I’m wondering if this is a symptom of it having damaged something before the reprogramming.
I get this lag too and it became much worse after the TC Recall. I have spoken to two service directors and a national service rep, and the service director who actually got the TC Recall to work finally, said this is simply something in the programing, and there is not much they can do about it. As a side note, I used to get a rental car for work every week and drove well over 30 different types of cars, mostly luxury cars due to frequent renting. This exact scenario happens in every drive by wire car I have driven. While the TL lag used to be much better than average before the TC Recall, it is still on average with other DBW cars post recall software.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:36 PM
Pro

Received 355 Likes on 190 Posts
[quote=sockpuppet;14430978]I rarely "punch it", so the regular, run-of-the-mill lag being discussed is, I think, outside of my concerns. quote]

My issue is also not when I "punch it". Actually, when I do that from a dead stop, my car feels great even in D mode.

Mine is more when I'm driving 'normally' or not hard from a dead stop. If I go off the line and accelerate slowly, I feel like it shifts into second gear way too soon and it feels like a blip or a roll into second gear when I'm wanting more power or rev. The other time I feel a lag is if I'm in a slow lane of traffic on the highway so I'm doing say 60km/hr and then I pull out in the faster lane and give it some go - it hesitates initially and then goes.

Maybe this is normal - but just seems odd to me. Hoping an ECU reset will fix. I bought mine used with 10,000km (it now has 20,000km) so maybe it still thinks I drive like the original owner (or maybe we both just drive like old ladies)...
Old 04-17-2013, 03:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 119 Posts
ECU reset will help, but only for a while, and most of it will be in your head because you know you just reset it. The fact is the car is programmed for max MPG, and D is grocery store mode. All the new rides seem to suffer from it, and is exactly why just about all of them come with some type of Sport mode now.

However, you can beat it by paddling down in the scenarios you've described. The red turning green when you're at about 10mph has happened to everyone. Just tap the downshift paddle and you'll be a much happier camper even in D.

I can't tell you how much I appreciate the paddles. I can't stand driving cars without them. I get in my GF's camry and I feel like the slowest car on the road
Old 04-18-2013, 06:06 AM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
When moving along down the highway with the tranny running in high gear, and the motor running in as low a rpm as possible to get max. mpg, this not a good time to "mash" the accelerator pedal to the floor. If you don't get the engine rpms up first before attempting a pass, you will "lug" your engine. That creates large loads on your engine crankshaft and bearings. It is not good for the engine and is the reason car owner's manuals warn to avoid doing it.
So allow more time to make a pass safely, or downshift first, or wait on the tranny to do it.

Last edited by Little Gator; 04-18-2013 at 06:08 AM.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:25 AM
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
Sounds like people are complaining more about the lack of the transmission shifting quickly enough to a lower gear. This is the issue I've always had with automatic cars. We had a 2006 TL and it wasn't as bad, but the issue was still there. It seemed to never want to get to the lowest possible gear fast enough when you needed quick acceleration. We replaced that with a 2012 Jeep GC with the V8 and that is even worse. I can floor that going 40mph to get through a yellow light and it takes what seems like forever to actually get down to 2nd gear. All this maximize mpg nonsense has really ruined cars. The worst part is it's getting harder and harder to find anything with a manual transmission option anymore.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:13 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Same here

Originally Posted by vulches
I'm going to hit 1000 miles on my new 2012 Fwd TL and I'm really disappointed with the way the gas pedal responds to me punching it. I used to own a G35 and that car was predictable when stepping on it to pass people, etc. The TL provides a very noticeable pause upon acceleration and it's driving me nuts... I can't merge confidently into fast traffic if the freaking power won't get to the wheels instantly. It does this all over the place.... just accelerating from 20 to 40 for example... I have to ease the pedal to keep the power constant. If I press just a little too hard I get a lag and then a boost. Winds up being jerky and not at all like driving the old G.

Apparently I didn't drive the car hard enough during the test drive, but I'm really surprised by this and figured I'd see more comments to this effect if it was a standard "problem" or complaint. Do I just have to get used to this?
I have the same exact problem, I never floored the car in test drive, the car does great 0-60 but when you are going 45 and you want to go 80 and you want to get there quickly this car lags. Foot down and it almost feels like an old turbo like you can't feel boost loading up.
Have you been able to find a way to fix that or has anyone? I feel like maybe adjusting the throttle or the ecu could make throttle response more abrupt.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:26 PM
Drifting

Received 234 Likes on 162 Posts
I did experience this on my test drive of a AWD automatic. Which really turned me off to the 4G initially. Thankfully, I do not feel any lag at all though on my 6 Speed manual.
I feel a little lag on my MDX but dont care as much because I view that as more of a family cruiser.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:27 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I think that the "issue" is that the ECU learns your driving style and adapts the programing to achieve optimal fuel efficiency in D mode. This lag you experience is the computer wanting to stay in the highest gear because of fuel economy. If you want the best response just shift it into S mode and either let it shift by itself or use the paddle shifters.
Resetting by unplugging the battery is only a temporary fix as the ECU will begin the learning process all over again.
Old 02-27-2015, 08:38 AM
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by SilverJ
I did experience this on my test drive of a AWD automatic. Which really turned me off to the 4G initially. Thankfully, I do not feel any lag at all though on my 6 Speed manual.
I feel a little lag on my MDX but dont care as much because I view that as more of a family cruiser.
This. As I originally stated in this thread it's more of an issue with the auto trans than the engine or drive by wire system.
Old 07-26-2017, 11:15 AM
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by kbiz
Coming from a 350z that I've driven for 8 years the lag can be so irritating... it's just the transmission shifting all the way up to 5th gear as soon as possible. You can paddle shift in normal D as well so I've found that down shifting before passing via the paddle shifter makes all the difference and it's exactly what I'd do if I were driving a stick... after a second or two the transmission takes over again... or if you hold down the up shift paddle it'll cancel the temporary paddle control... using the paddles in normal Drive I no longer have any lag when passing etc and in fact I really enjoy the extreme level of control you can have...
Are you referring to you 350z? This doesn't work on the TL. At least not on mine. Only way to exit manual mode, mysteriously, is to move the gear selector.
Old 07-26-2017, 12:42 PM
Drifting

Received 849 Likes on 605 Posts
Originally Posted by mossman77
Are you referring to you 350z? This doesn't work on the TL. At least not on mine. Only way to exit manual mode, mysteriously, is to move the gear selector.
Holy thread resurrection Batman! Also, Kbiz's last post was June of 2014. So he probably won't be answering.....
Old 07-26-2017, 02:19 PM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by mossman77
He's talking about leaving "manual" mode in D, where it just shows the gear number and not the "M". It will revert to automatic by itself anyway, but you can speed it up by holding the upshift paddle.
Old 07-26-2017, 02:24 PM
But I just got here

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts
You all need to get the Sprint Booster
Old 07-29-2017, 10:06 AM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
or just get ktuner.
Old 07-29-2017, 03:05 PM
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Co Sign the Ktuner