Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

4th or 5th Generation?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2018, 06:55 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4th or 5th Generation?

I am in a real predicament and need advice!

I live in Ft. Lauderdale and drove to Philadelphia PA, where I still am, to visit friends. In August, I was hit from behind and my car was totaled. I am in the process of healing and settling the claim with the at fault drivers insurance company. Hopefully I will settle this week.

I would like to purchase a TL or TLX, depending on the settlement amount with the insurance company (I realize these are two different boards, but I am starting here). I was originally looking online at the 2013 Acura TL, but it seems that if I am going to purchase a 4th Generation, since the refresh was in 2012, I can save by getting a 2012 instead of a 2013, which is virtually the same car. Is this correct?

Alternatively, if I end up with more from the insurance company, possibly I can afford a 2015. Are there major advantages of an early 5th Generation over the 2012 4th generation? It seems that the 2015 was available in a 4 cylinder or 6 cylinder.

While it certainly is easiest if I bought a vehicle in Philadelphia and drove back home to Florida, I am concerned about purchasing a car that has been exposed to roads that were salted. Is this something that I should be concerned with?

Anyhow, as you can imagine, I have a lot of anxiety and do not know which way to turn! If you can give me your thoughts on a good year that would be fantastic. Also, Philadelphia or Florida?

Thanks so much!

Anovice
Old 10-21-2018, 11:20 AM
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Anovice

I live in Ft. Lauderdale and drove to Philadelphia PA, where I still am, to visit friends. In August, I was hit from behind and my car was totaled. I am in the process of healing and settling the claim with the at fault drivers insurance company. Hopefully I will settle this week.

I would like to purchase a TL or TLX, depending on the settlement amount with the insurance company (I realize these are two different boards, but I am starting here). I was originally looking online at the 2013 Acura TL, but it seems that if I am going to purchase a 4th Generation, since the refresh was in 2012, I can save by getting a 2012 instead of a 2013, which is virtually the same car. Is this correct?

Alternatively, if I end up with more from the insurance company, possibly I can afford a 2015. Are there major advantages of an early 5th Generation over the 2012 4th generation? It seems that the 2015 was available in a 4 cylinder or 6 cylinder.

While it certainly is easiest if I bought a vehicle in Philadelphia and drove back home to Florida, I am concerned about purchasing a car that has been exposed to roads that were salted. Is this something that I should be concerned with?

Anyhow, as you can imagine, I have a lot of anxiety and do not know which way to turn! If you can give me your thoughts on a good year that would be fantastic. Also, Philadelphia or Florida?

Thanks so much!

Anovice
Yeah the 2012+ TL is the same model, and you won't be getting any improvements buying a newer model year. The current generation of cars don't have too much of an issue with road-salt. I'm in NJ and it snows every year and our roads are littered with salt for 4-5 months at a time sometimes. I bought my car in 2011 and it's been here, outside, ever since. I have no real frame rust, just the usual rust near parts and areas where every car will form rust. Not an issue at all, IMO.

Personally I am more biased towards the TL, it has IMO better looks, better performance and better handling. If you want the newer commodities that are offered then go for the TLX. The infotainment/driver assists are better. The TL is definitely showing age in that aspect, however it is still a fantastic car to drive. The only thing I regret is not buying a AWD car, but since you're down in florida I doubt you'd need it.
Old 10-21-2018, 01:38 PM
Advanced

Blaze9,

Thanks for your post.

I do not need a lot of bells and whistles, so a 2012 TL seems great. I will not rule out AWD because when it rains in Florida, it pours. I would think AWD would come in handy. I will want an automatic.

Since your post I have been looking a bit more at the different trim packages and I must say, I am confused. I see a automatic sedan 2WD and an automatic SH-AWD. I get the AWD, but not the SH. I see each of those with a Tech Package and Advance, but I can not figure out what each offer. I like things such as leather and heated seats (it does get cold in the mornings), but comforts beyond this I am not certain I need. Also I am coming from an older Infiniti I30 and technologically it was not advanced. So, I gather the questions are:

1. What does SH stand for?
2. What are the major features in the Tech that are not in the Base?
3. What are the major features in the Advance that are not in the Base and Tech?

Generally, I would rather spend the money on getting a newer model year rather than loading up an older one with all the bells and whistles.

Thanks much for your thoughts in this difficult time!

Anovice
Old 10-21-2018, 01:47 PM
The inconvenient truth

Received 436 Likes on 322 Posts
All acuras are either FWD or SH-AWD. SH-AWD stands for super handling all wheel drive.

Pretty sure they are all leather and heated seats for the 4G (I don't know about the 5G), Tech adds navigation, back up camera and ELS 10 speaker audio system. Advance further adds 19 inch wheels, ventilated seats and blind spot monitoring.

I would personally at least get a tech model for the backup camera. I'm so used to it now I hate driving cars without them haha.

Be aware the 2015 TLX is a first model year and thusly may have problems that are later worked out in later years of that model.
Old 10-21-2018, 01:48 PM
LNJ
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts
Blaze9,

Thanks for your post.

I do not need a lot of bells and whistles, so a 2012 TL seems great. I will not rule out AWD because when it rains in Florida, it pours. I would think AWD would come in handy. I will want an automatic.

Since your post I have been looking a bit more at the different trim packages and I must say, I am confused. I see a automatic sedan 2WD and an automatic SH-AWD. I get the AWD, but not the SH. I see each of those with a Tech Package and Advance, but I can not figure out what each offer. I like things such as leather and heated seats (it does get cold in the mornings), but comforts beyond this I am not certain I need. Also I am coming from an older Infiniti I30 and technologically it was not advanced. So, I gather the questions are:

1. What does SH stand for?
2. What are the major features in the Tech that are not in the Base?
3. What are the major features in the Advance that are not in the Base and Tech?

Generally, I would rather spend the money on getting a newer model year rather than loading up an older one with all the bells and whistles.

Thanks much for your thoughts in this difficult time!

Anovice
All the AWD models are SH-AWD.
The biggest difference between the Base and Tech are that the Tech has:
  • Premium perforated leather seats
  • Trunk lid spoiler
  • Navigation

From Tech to Advance:
  • Ventilated seats
  • Blind Spot Monitoring
  • 19" wheels
Old 10-21-2018, 02:30 PM
Advanced

dopeboy1 and LNL,

Great information. Thanks!

I think the Tech will be best and depending on the condition and mileage, will determine if I get one with AWD.

This may be more of a question for Blaze9 because of New Jersey and proximity to Philadelphia, but hopefully you or others will know. I would not think that an Acura dealership would have cars older than 3 or 4 years. What would be the best websites to look for a 2012 TL and which websites to determine a fair price to pay?

Thanks again!

Anovice
Old 10-21-2018, 07:45 PM
Instructor

Received 154 Likes on 94 Posts
dopeboy1 and LNL,

Great information. Thanks!

I think the Tech will be best and depending on the condition and mileage, will determine if I get one with AWD.

This may be more of a question for Blaze9 because of New Jersey and proximity to Philadelphia, but hopefully you or others will know. I would not think that an Acura dealership would have cars older than 3 or 4 years. What would be the best websites to look for a 2012 TL and which websites to determine a fair price to pay?

Thanks again!

Anovice
I just checked my local Acura dealerships (North NJ), and a couple are still carrying 4G TLs, but Autotrader.com seems to have more thorough dealership (Acura and non-Acura) listings for specifically 2012 TLs. Prices seem pretty decent too.

And to add to your "SH-AWD" question, the Super Handling refers to the torque vectoring part of the AWD system. Instead of only sending power to the rear wheels, the system can send 100% of the rear power to either the left or right rear wheel to help rotate the car when it's cornering (or to help with icy traction).
Old 10-21-2018, 08:12 PM
Advanced

Riboflavin,

Thank you for checking. Would/could a dealer have a CPO on a 2012? To add insult to injury, I would hate to break down on my drive back to Florida

Towards the middle of the week I will have time to check dealerships in Philadelphia and Autotrader.com

Anovice
Old 10-21-2018, 08:31 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
2016 or later.
Old 10-21-2018, 08:56 PM
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Note that the 4G SH-AWD is a totally different ride from the TLX. The TLX is much quieter and comfortable, while the 4G SH-AWD is a more communicative, sportier and dynamic car. I can't speak for the FWD TL.
Old 10-22-2018, 01:20 PM
dv-
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
The TLX is available with a 4-cylinder motor, which you might be interested in for MPG reasons. I prefer the V6.

A newer luxury car like this is probably going to have been garaged, so I wouldn't worry too much about salt.

IMO, the TLX - particularly the 4-cylinder - feels a little "bouncier" than my '12 TL Base (FWD.) But I've been told I'm full of crap, too.

If you want to drive a couch, buy a Lexus ES.

The TL is about 300 pounds heavier - I think it's a tad roomier in back. Probably wouldn't make a huge difference, but an inch here or there can be a nice-to-have if you're dealing with child seats or something.
Old 10-23-2018, 12:30 PM
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts
Get a '12 and above TL with SH-AWD at least Tech package. Sh-awd is not just great in snow but also in rain or dry, car just sticks to the road.
Enjoy it and post a pic of your purchase. End of thread.
Old 10-23-2018, 03:13 PM
Drifting

Received 849 Likes on 605 Posts
Originally Posted by meowmeows
Note that the 4G SH-AWD is a totally different ride from the TLX. The TLX is much quieter and comfortable, while the 4G SH-AWD is a more communicative, sportier and dynamic car. I can't speak for the FWD TL.
Totally agree with this. It really depends on what you want. I took my 4G FWD into the dealership when I first purchased it to get the transmission software update and Takata airbag recall done. They loaned me a 2015 V6 TLX for a couple of days. It was a nice car. But I was happy to get back into my 4G. It's really more of a drivers car than the TLX in my opinion. However, I haven't driven the newer A-spec TLX which might be a different animal. That might be out of your price range though.

For all the details, take a look at the wiki for the 4G:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acura_...ation_(UA8-UA9)

My only strong recommendation is to get the Tech trim. Or Advance. Advance adds a few little things like ventilated seats and blind spot monitoring. So it's a bit of an upgrade from the Tech. However, the update from the base to Tech is huge. WAY better stereo, much better interface with center controls like AC, stereo, nav, Bluetooth, etc. Leather upgrade, keyless start, etc.

I've driven the SH-AWD and it's amazing. However, I opted for the FWD because AWD vehicles seem to be much more expensive here in Utah. Everyone thinks they need AWD. For the same year, mileage and condition, it was at least $4K more here. Not worth it to me. However, if you can pick one up for a reasonable price then go for it. There are a few potential mechanical hiccups with the SH-AWD though. The larger 3.7L engine has a tendency to consume oil whereas the smaller 3.5L in the FWD doesn't have that problem. Also, a bearing on the propeller shaft for the AWD tend to fail after a while which requires replacing the shaft at a price of about $1500. However, I've said before that I wouldn't let that stop me from owning one. Just some considerations you may want to consider.

The FWD is still a great handling car. I haven't bothered with coilovers or suspension mods since stock handles more than adequately. And it's kind of fun to have the back end break free here and there. Just not when you're not wanting it to of course. Like in the snow where the AWD would be much better

Last edited by losiglow; 10-23-2018 at 03:19 PM.
Old 10-23-2018, 05:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts

Thanks so much!

Anovice
Find a souther car so you won't have to worry about rust. Off lease only and a few other dealers in FL have a large selection at great prices with the cars needing minimal work (brakes, cleaning and maybe tires).

The only difference between the 2012/2013 TL is that the factory changed to a 2 stage torque converter in the transmission halfway though 2012. This means some 2012's have the updated parts, all 2013 and 2014's do. A tech pacakgage with FWD should be perfect!

The TLX is a nice car, however the 2015's did have a few issues with the transmission not shifting smoothly (both 4 and 6 cyl). Test drive any one you are interested in and look for shifting issues. The lane keeping system on the tech package is amazing for highway driving.

Your best bet is to visit a few dealerships and look at a website like cargurus to get more pricing info.