AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   4G TL (2009-2014) (https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-2009-2014-123/)
-   -   4G Owners that were in the forum 3-4 years ago..anybody left? What do you drive now?? (https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-2009-2014-123/4g-owners-were-forum-3-4-years-ago-anybody-left-what-do-you-drive-now-976522/)

4G-Lover 01-18-2019 07:32 PM

4G Owners that were in the forum 3-4 years ago..anybody left? What do you drive now??

I remember quite few switched to Audi and BMW, couple of Charger RT, one Lexus GS F Sport.....

Anybody else still on the forum?? What do you drive now?? Anyone still with the 4G??

How you like your new ride compared to the 4G??

JM2010 SH-AWD 01-20-2019 12:24 PM

Still own my 4G bought new in 2010. Runs and looks like new. Until someone gives me a good reason to switch, I'm hanging onto it. Not many roomy, AWD sedans with V6 and MT out there (if any).

poeycat 01-20-2019 06:03 PM

Still own my 2014 TL SHAWD-tech-A/T- BWP, bought new in Dec 2014 after looking at a 2015 TLX and realizing how much better the TL was. I've only got 8,600 miles on it and don't drive it in the winter. I drive my 2011 MDX with Blizzak DVM-1's in the snow.
Doug

Midnight Mystery 01-20-2019 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by JM2010 SH-AWD (Post 16368540)
Still own my 4G bought new in 2010. Runs and looks like new. Until someone gives me a good reason to switch, I'm hanging onto it. Not many roomy, AWD sedans with V6 and MT out there (if any).

Looks like you'll be hanging onto that for a while.

4G-Lover 01-20-2019 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by JM2010 SH-AWD (Post 16368540)

Yes, I remember you Jason, I do not blame you, I dearly missed my TL SH-AWD 6MT (bought new in 2010 exactly like you) since I traded it for my wife's SUV in 2015, only two weeks ago I finally got the ride I really like, my new CTS-V and I absolutely love it...I feel I finally got over my TL only now...

jimsacura 01-21-2019 07:19 AM

Still have my 2012 that I bought at Apple Tree Acura in Henderson N.C new. Great car, fwd with tehnology package.

a35tl 01-21-2019 09:50 AM

I owned three 4G TLs before finally transitioning to a '16 TLX Advance. Needless to say, I was a fan of the 4G. Had a couple of 3G TLs prior to my 4Gs. There are many things about my TLX that I like but I must admit that the driving dynamics of the 4G TL are superior. I miss my '13 TL Advance that I sold last summer. Recently in fact, I came close to texting the guy who bought it just to check on it. I decided that was a bit over the top so I refrained from doing so. Still an Acura fan though and like the direction in which the brand is heading. I'm not an SUV guy but I really like what Acura did with the '19 RDX and fully expect similar results with the next generation TLX. That and the confirmation of the Type S return will likely keep me in the Acura fold.

SeismicGuy 01-21-2019 10:15 AM

Still here and wife still has the 2012. In fact time to go through the annual nonsense of renewing the Sirius XM.

andysinnh 01-21-2019 11:57 AM

I joined AZ back in 2014 after getting my MDX, but also followed the 4G TL branch since my wife had her '12 SH-AWD Tech since Oct '12. I have a different MDX now, but the wife still has her '12 TL, with a whopping 53k miles on the clock. Been garage kept and used largely for commuting (she's a school teacher). When my '17 MDX needed some work a few weeks ago, I had a couple of loaner vehicles. One was a '19 RDX Advanced, and the other was a '19 TLX Advanced (both SH-AWD). In her view, neither compares to her TL, and while she does like some of the new technology features, I'm not seeing anything replacing her TL anytime soon. And if it does, it likely won't be one of the current Acura lineup vehicles - they just don't make her happy.....

4G-Lover 01-21-2019 12:37 PM

What was surprisingly shocking to me during my last car shopping experience is the fact I could not find any car seats remotely comfortable as the ones I had in my TL SH-AWD unless I crossed (sometimes significantly) the 60 grand price line, especially in sedans....

echodigital 01-21-2019 01:59 PM

Still here. Running 2009 TL that I got used in 2012. After a Ron Jon grill upgrade, I can say I can keep it a bit longer. Just thinking about upgrades 'yearly'. i.e HFCB & J-PIPE.

hadokenuh 01-21-2019 02:28 PM

I still have my 2013 TL Tech bought new in 2013. It has 82K miles on the clock. I've been looking for options. Right now, I am interested in the S5, 540i, the new 340 GC (whenever it comes out), and the new Lexus ES350 FSport. Yes the ES350. I am still trying to decide what kind of car I'd want to drive in the next 5 years. Sorry Acura has nothing right now that interests me. If the RLX has SH-AWD with gasoline engine and is around $50K, I would consider it though.

losiglow 01-21-2019 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by hadokenuh (Post 16369067)
I still have my 2013 TL Tech bought new in 2013. It has 82K miles on the clock. I've been looking for options. Right now, I am interested in the S5, 540i, the new 340 GC (whenever it comes out), and the new Lexus ES350 FSport. Yes the ES350. I am still trying to decide what kind of car I'd want to drive in the next 5 years. Sorry Acura has nothing right now that interests me. If the RLX has SH-AWD with gasoline engine and is around $50K, I would consider it though.

:werd: My sentiment exactly. Except I'll probably opt for a RWD IS350. Merc and BMW are not good long-term vehicles, don't like Infinity and like you said, Acura isn't putting out anything interesting at the moment.

hadokenuh 01-21-2019 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by losiglow (Post 16369115)
:werd: My sentiment exactly. Except I'll probably opt for a RWD IS350. Merc and BMW are not good long-term vehicles, don't like Infinity and like you said, Acura isn't putting out anything interesting at the moment.

I know right? You and I are probably the same age. My co-worker has an IS350. It's nice for a single guy or family without kids. Once you start to put a carseat and an extra passenger in the back, it becomes very claustrophobic. Check out the new ES350 FSport. It's not bad at driving and has tons of room. Right now it has some minor 1st year issues though, I'd wait a bit.

If I went German route, I'd buy a slightly used with CPO warranty and sell it after 5 years. I thought I'd keep the TL for a long time but I got bored after 4 years lol. Nothing major is wrong with the TL. It looks new inside out and drives like new. Most people don't believe it's 6 years old.

Teddybear 01-23-2019 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by a35tl (Post 16368908)
I owned three 4G TLs before finally transitioning to a '16 TLX Advance. Needless to say, I was a fan of the 4G. Had a couple of 3G TLs prior to my 4Gs. There are many things about my TLX that I like but I must admit that the driving dynamics of the 4G TL are superior. I miss my '13 TL Advance that I sold last summer. Recently in fact, I came close to texting the guy who bought it just to check on it. I decided that was a bit over the top so I refrained from doing so. Still an Acura fan though and like the direction in which the brand is heading. I'm not an SUV guy but I really like what Acura did with the '19 RDX and fully expect similar results with the next generation TLX. That and the confirmation of the Type S return will likely keep me in the Acura fold.

This is my concern too. I've had mine since 2010. I'm at 206xxx KM now. I've driven the TLX a few times, and while i like the updated tech, the driving dynamics don't compare. I do like the more aggressive SH, but that's it. Overall, I prefer the TL SH-AWD... it feels much more aggressive to me.

a35tl 01-23-2019 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Teddybear (Post 16370018)
This is my concern too. I've had mine since 2010. I'm at 206xxx KM now. I've driven the TLX a few times, and while i like the updated tech, the driving dynamics don't compare. I do like the more aggressive SH, but that's it. Overall, I prefer the TL SH-AWD... it feels much more aggressive to me.

It took me a couple of months to acclimate to the TLX but I don't regret buying it. I do appreciate the updated Tech, the quieter interior, the more attractive exterior, the better ride and the vastly improved fuel economy of my TLX but the fun to drive factor is a notch or two down from my 4G TL. For my type of driving, which is basically a 30 mile 4 lane rural commute to work every day, the TLX serves me very well. The 9-speed transmission is its biggest weakness. Mine shifts smoothly, it's just a bit lazy. Overall though, the TLX works for me. Am very interested in seeing what Acura does with the impending return of the Type S. I hope its driving dynamics will transform the TLX into a car which is fun to drive.

4G-Lover 01-23-2019 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by a35tl (Post 16370034)
It took me a couple of months to acclimate to the TLX but I don't regret buying it. I do appreciate the updated Tech, the quieter interior, the more attractive exterior, the better ride and the vastly improved fuel economy of my TLX but the fun to drive factor is a notch or two down from my 4G TL. For my type of driving, which is basically a 30 mile 4 lane rural commute to work every day, the TLX serves me very well. The 9-speed transmission is its biggest weakness. Mine shifts smoothly, it's just a bit lazy. Overall though, the TLX works for me. Am very interested in seeing what Acura does with the impending return of the Type S. I hope its driving dynamics will transform the TLX into a car which is fun to drive.

I missed my TL SH-AWD 6MT since I traded her in for my wife's Jeep and I "inherited" her car, a 6 months old Q50S fully loaded.

Despite being more powerful, having way more tech gizmos and being more luxurious than my TL, the love did not blossom.

A very competent, comfortable car but more Lexus like than sporty. Handsome styling but not stand out. One of the biggest disappointment were the seats, long way from my TL.

Only my new CTS-V made me stop missing my TL. Not only the driving dynamics are stellar but it has my old "Black Betty" stand out and bad ass styling which I love.

losiglow 01-23-2019 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by hadokenuh (Post 16369189)
I know right? You and I are probably the same age. My co-worker has an IS350. It's nice for a single guy or family without kids. Once you start to put a carseat and an extra passenger in the back, it becomes very claustrophobic. Check out the new ES350 FSport. It's not bad at driving and has tons of room. Right now it has some minor 1st year issues though, I'd wait a bit.

If I went German route, I'd buy a slightly used with CPO warranty and sell it after 5 years. I thought I'd keep the TL for a long time but I got bored after 4 years lol. Nothing major is wrong with the TL. It looks new inside out and drives like new. Most people don't believe it's 6 years old.

Good to know. I've read mixed reviews about the rear seat space on the IS. I don't have kids in it often, since we have a Pilot for that. But I do Uber on the weekends and need something with a bit of space in the back. I would really like to have a car that's smaller than the TL though. My '07 TSX was 184" long compared to the '12 TL's 194". The IS350 is also 184". It's funny how much 10" makes. But I'm pretty well used to the TL and the ES350 is actually 1" shorter @ 193".

I'll have to test drive them back to back and see. Or alternatively, Acura releases the next gen TLX with a powerplant with 300+hp and gets rid of the ZF transmission. I'd give that a consideration. :wish:

MenacerX686 01-25-2019 01:31 PM

I bought my 2010 TL Tech SH-AWD back in March 2016 as my first car under my name. I loved everything about it except for minor oil burn and that rattle up by the sunroof near the passenger side B-pillar (I know there is a TSB for it). I rarely drove it since I bike to work and when I bought my 2007 MDX Tech/Ent in Sept. 2017, I put less than 2000 miles on the TL until I traded it in August 2018 for a 2004 S2000. Since I only drove my TL on the weekends when the weather's nice and I didn't drive it in the Winter, I figure that I should buy a convertible roadster like the S2000. Also, the TL depreciated about $5k (30%) in the 2.5 years I had it so I wanted an S2000 that I know wouldn't depreciate much or even appreciate going forward. If I could afford a 3rd car, it would be back in a 4G TL Tech SH-AWD but 2012+ and 6MT only.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...6c65645879.jpg

012TL-GLM 01-25-2019 04:16 PM

Since my '12 SH-AWD TL I've had a '15 Charger, '16 RDX AWD Advance, '18 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec, and '19 RAM Rebel. Honestly I haven't looked back and don't miss the TL at all. It doesn't help that I was plagued with the transmission issues several have had. I really enjoy driving the A-spec but hate getting in and out of it, all the folks wanting more low can have it. We'll be going back to an RDX or MDX when that lease is up. I daily my Rebel and its without a doubt the sweetest vehicle I've ever driven. If you're in the market for a truck, do yourself a favor and check out the latest RAM model. Better than the competition in just about every category.

Anicra 01-27-2019 08:34 PM

Still running my 2013 TL SHAWD advance now with 40k.

vucelick 01-28-2019 09:31 PM

Still got my '10 SH-AWD tech, and still driving my wicked new yorker

vucelick 01-29-2019 05:43 AM

and 157,xxx miles

SilverJ 01-31-2019 07:14 AM

Still have my 2012 TL 6 speed. Only 30k on it, no reason to get rid of it. I love it and to me it doesn't look dated at all.
I plan on getting The Amazon Echo auto for it and it will have everything I need tech wise.

BobsUrUncle 01-31-2019 01:19 PM

Still rolling my 2014 TL Advanced. Approaching 50k miles.

shurik74 02-01-2019 10:33 PM

Sold my 2011 TL 6MT in Mayan Bronze / Umber 3.5 years ago, switched to 2014 GS350 Fsport. I do like my GS but I do really miss 6MT + AWD combo. Recently contacted buyer of my TL to buy it back...

Midnight Mystery 02-01-2019 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by shurik74 (Post 16375972)
sold my 2011 tl 6mt in mayan bronze / umber 3.5 years ago, switched to 2014 gs350 fsport. I do like my gs but i do really miss 6mt + awd combo. Recently contacted buyer of my tl to buy it back...

:kinggrin:

JT4 02-11-2019 07:37 AM

I may have added vehicles to the family over the years but we still have the TL.. This coming April will be 8 years that it's been in the family, and is now my middle son's car.. She still runs and looks great..

Here is the only pic of it I could find right now, my son took this last summer.. Looks the same now except for a little winter dirt...LOL

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...ff87450b21.jpg

714tman 02-19-2019 10:13 PM

I own a 2012 TL Advance FWD. It now has 195,000 miles and still runs amazing.
I just recently purchased a 2019 MDX, but decided to still keep the TL.
It has been and still is the best car I've owned. I use it as my commuter car and drive the MDX on the weekends now.

Thermoguy 02-20-2019 02:26 PM

I still have my 2011 I bought new. It is now my wife's daily driver as I now have a company car. At first she didn't like it, moving from a 3/4 ton Diesel, but now she loves it. We have talked about selling it and getting a different car but can't find anything we like, and the value of the TL is crap compared to the fact the car still drives like new. The only bummer is that it needs a Timing Belt - the dealer wants $1600... I won't be taking it to the dealer...

Looking at replacements, nothing with AWD in a sedan has all the features of the TL for the price. Just can't seem to find any good replacements, I was hoping the TLX would be a good replacement, but sadly it is not. Probably won't go Acura next time around. But no reason to change right now.

a35tl 02-23-2019 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Thermoguy (Post 16385974)
I still have my 2011 I bought new. It is now my wife's daily driver as I now have a company car. At first she didn't like it, moving from a 3/4 ton Diesel, but now she loves it. We have talked about selling it and getting a different car but can't find anything we like, and the value of the TL is crap compared to the fact the car still drives like new. The only bummer is that it needs a Timing Belt - the dealer wants $1600... I won't be taking it to the dealer...

Looking at replacements, nothing with AWD in a sedan has all the features of the TL for the price. Just can't seem to find any good replacements, I was hoping the TLX would be a good replacement, but sadly it is not. Probably won't go Acura next time around. But no reason to change right now.

Check with your local Honda dealer about the timing belt. Same exact service for considerably less money. My Acura dealer always charges a premium over the Honda dealer and the Honda dealer does just as good a job in my opinion.

Midnight Mystery 02-23-2019 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by a35tl (Post 16388087)
Check with your local Honda dealer about the timing belt. Same exact service for considerably less money. My Acura dealer always charges a premium over the Honda dealer and the Honda dealer does just as good a job in my opinion.

+2 on that! :goldcup:

dwest1023 02-24-2019 07:33 PM

Still have my 2009 tech. Only 70k miles on it and still not a scratch on it. I still keep it covered and out of snow and rain. I still sit proud behind the wheel when I take her out for a spin. I cant stand the new TL’s.

4G-Lover 02-27-2019 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Thermoguy (Post 16385974)
Looking at replacements, nothing with AWD in a sedan has all the features of the TL for the price. Just can't seem to find any good replacements

The only sport sedan currently in the market IMHO as good as the 4G TL SH-AWD in terms of driving experience and size for the money is the Dodge Charger (unfortunately no V8-AWD combo). The new 2019 ones have the optional faux leather wrapped dashboard and door panels with contrast stitching which look really nice and improve the cabin quite a lot.

Ant$ 02-27-2019 10:37 PM

STILL the same 2010 shawd 6spd.

only 71k miles on it so i'll probably be driving it for at least 5 (or 6 or 7 or 10) more years unless something disasterous happens to it

Edward'TLS 02-28-2019 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by dwest1023 (Post 16388451)
Still have my 2009 tech. Only 70k miles on it and still not a scratch on it. I still keep it covered and out of snow and rain. I still sit proud behind the wheel when I take her out for a spin. I cant stand the new TL’s.

On the contrary, with high performance winter tires, I take my 2012 Elite out in the snow whenever I can.

It is so much fun to do lift-throttle-tail-spin and 4-wheel-power-drift in the snow and ice, in absolutely safe areas of course.

Jerry"O" 03-23-2019 10:39 PM

I still drive my 2012 AWD TL. She already got 65000km(40000mil) on it! Car looks and runs great!!!!

6SpeedTL 04-01-2019 10:55 AM

I traded my 2012 6speed TL in for a 2016 Audi S4 with the sport diff and 6 speed transmission. Night and day difference in terms of performance. Only thing I miss about the TL is its a little bigger although the rear seats fold down in the S4 giving more trunk space if required.

The aftermarket support for the S4 is on another level.

dregsfan 04-02-2019 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by 6SpeedTL (Post 16405730)
I traded my 2012 6speed TL in for a 2016 Audi S4 with the sport diff and 6 speed transmission. Night and day difference in terms of performance. Only thing I miss about the TL is its a little bigger although the rear seats fold down in the S4 giving more trunk space if required.

The aftermarket support for the S4 is on another level.

So how much more, besides your trade, did the S4 cost you? I doubt that performance difference came cheap :smile:

6SpeedTL 04-03-2019 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by dregsfan (Post 16406424)
So how much more, besides your trade, did the S4 cost you? I doubt that performance difference came cheap :smile:

Bought it used with 34K miles with original warranty remaining. These cars haven't depreciated the same as a normal car with same miles/year especially the 6 speed. Paid 38K, sticker was 57K.

Ive done all the maintenance / mods myself so no extra costs there.