4G owners are a loyal and happy bunch

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 10:43 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
4G owners are a loyal and happy bunch

If you look at the new Consumer Reports we are right in the top or owners that would buy the car again, right at 88%, not bad, especially when you see that most of the other cars in the top are more main stream family cars. Imagine if the styling were not so polarizing how much higher that number might have been. No matter how I feel about the styling I must say is a damn well built car with a awesome ride (AWD) that while I miss the styling of my 3G Tye-S the AWD build, ride and comfort is leaps better! At 11K miles this car is rock solid!
Old 11-27-2009, 12:47 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, I'm really happy with the results. I like the exterior (please don't kill me ) but the real winner is the overall combination: AWD, super nice 6MT, great build quality, sweet interior and, I like to hope for it, great overall reliability.

Most people don't care about 0-60 times, they want safe and comfortable transportation with all the ameneties we came to love. Few offer a package as well balanced as the 09-10 Acura TL. Frankly, we see bad drivers all the time so I'm happy they don't drive only Porshe or BMW...oh the horror of lack of skills and fast cars...

The entry-level luxury market is a very fun one to shop for as the great offerings are numerous so you're bound to find something you'll fall in love with. Some go to the G37 for its mix of performance and luxury while others go to germans for superior driving machines and "status" at the expense of $$$ and expected reliability. Some prefer to be pampered by their Lexus cushy rides and some go to Acura for a mix of luxury and performance...

In the end it's all good, as long as you get the ride you want. I'm very happy to be in this market as soon as 30 years old!

Have a great day to all 4G owners (and fellow Aziners)
Old 11-27-2009, 03:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm very happy with this purchase and wouldn't hesitate doing it again. While the exterior is polarizing at first, almost every person who steps inside the car is impressed. Then after they see it a bit, well my exterior has been modified, but they actually say they like the look of the car too.
Old 11-27-2009, 03:57 PM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I am very happy with my 4th Gen TL. Coming from an '05 TL w/Nav, which was an excellent car, it has nothing on my '09. I love the interior, overall quality/fit and finish, the ride is great, and I am thrilled with the technology, especially the sound system, which blows away my '05 system. I like the styling a lot, it has grown on me, but I never hated it. But I will acknowledge that Acura could've come up with a better design. It's still a head turner, I get plenty of compliments and stares. If the design was so bad, nobody would pay it any attention. When you see an ugly car, do you stare at it, or break your neck to look at it? No you don't, you take a quick peak, realize you don't like it, and you keep it movin'!
Old 11-27-2009, 05:07 PM
16GS FSprt,03Max,12 335is

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithL
If you look at the new Consumer Reports we are right in the top or owners that would buy the car again, right at 88%, not bad, especially when you see that most of the other cars in the top are more main stream family cars. Imagine if the styling were not so polarizing how much higher that number might have been. No matter how I feel about the styling I must say is a damn well built car with a awesome ride (AWD) that while I miss the styling of my 3G Tye-S the AWD build, ride and comfort is leaps better! At 11K miles this car is rock solid!
Only 2 with "Sporty" intentions are the Max and the TL, rest are boring family mobiles.

January, 2010 Consumer Reports just arrived.
They rate large/upscale sedans. All recommended except the new Lacrosse
Here's how they rank:
1. Hyundai Genesis 92
2. Lexus ES350 91
3. Toyota Avalon 87
4. Acura TL 85
5. Nissan Maxima 83
6. Hyundai Azera 81
7. Lincoln MKZ 77
8 Buick LaCrosse 73 (no recommendation check)
9. Ford Taurus 73
10.Buick Lucerne 73
Old 11-27-2009, 09:11 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I know I am loyal. I got a lemon which Acura bought back and I ended up getting another one to replace the lemon. That's how much I like the TL!
The only complaint I have with the TL is the seats in the AWD. They are just not comfortable enough for me to be able to drive 4 straight hours without my leg hurting. I do have bad legs so that has some to do with it too.
Old 11-28-2009, 07:10 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Originally Posted by CleanCL
I'm very happy with this purchase and wouldn't hesitate doing it again. While the exterior is polarizing at first, almost every person who steps inside the car is impressed.
Exactly. LOL.... Even if you don't like what the car looks like, you forget about it when your foot's down in the middle of a corner.

:-)

It's a very enjoyable driving experience, and pleasant just riding in one.
Old 11-28-2009, 07:16 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by chaiwala
They are just not comfortable enough for me to be able to drive 4 straight hours without my leg hurting. I do have bad legs so that has some to do with it too.
Are you a tall person who is also older?

IF that is the case, then your instincts are going to put you closer to the wheel, and you might even instinctively adjust the seat forward and up in a way that causes your right leg to rest against the centre console much of the time.

This kind of driving position gives you a sense of security...but it is short live'd because of the pressure you're putting on your right leg.

I am a tall person who is in his mid fifties.

In the 4G TL, my best driving position for long drives has me adjusting the seat closer to the floor, moving the seat back enough so that my leg is seldom against the centre console, and then moving the steering wheel forward to give the right reach for good control.

Are you sure you've tried every position? :-)
Old 11-28-2009, 07:17 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love the new ACURA, even the outside. The technology is awsome and the sound system excellent. I love everything about the car. I had a 2007 Type S 6MT before, but this car is superior.
Old 11-28-2009, 07:22 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by George Knighton
Are you a tall person who is also older?

IF that is the case, then your instincts are going to put you closer to the wheel, and you might even instinctively adjust the seat forward and up in a way that causes your right leg to rest against the centre console much of the time.

This kind of driving position gives you a sense of security...but it is short live'd because of the pressure you're putting on your right leg.

I am a tall person who is in his mid fifties.

In the 4G TL, my best driving position for long drives has me adjusting the seat closer to the floor, moving the seat back enough so that my leg is seldom against the centre console, and then moving the steering wheel forward to give the right reach for good control.

Are you sure you've tried every position? :-)
I am in my late 20's, 6ft about 180lbs. I have tried every conceivable position I could think of. I have the seat all the way down and all the way back and like you I bring the telescoping steering toward me. Always done this with all my cars and it seems to work albeit some more comfortable than others. With the TL, I just can't seem to find that sweet spot in comfort. Any ideas?
Old 11-28-2009, 07:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I have to agree with this post. While the exterior is certainly controversial to others (I like it), the interior is great and the AWD handles very well.

The whole car is a good combination of everything and I can see myself driving this car for many many years. Now if I can get my hands on a Viper GTS...
Old 11-28-2009, 07:35 PM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
I am in my late 20's, 6ft about 180lbs. I have tried every conceivable position I could think of. I have the seat all the way down and all the way back and like you I bring the telescoping steering toward me. Always done this with all my cars and it seems to work albeit some more comfortable than others. With the TL, I just can't seem to find that sweet spot in comfort. Any ideas?
What type of lower extremity problems do you suffer from?
Old 11-28-2009, 09:59 PM
Suzuka Master

I guess everty perosn is different, I am 6 foot 205 lbs and find the driving psotions in the AWD to be one of the best in any car I have driven. I do wish the lumbar support were adjustable up and down as I find it a tad too low for me.
Old 11-28-2009, 10:16 PM
Instructor

Took me awhile to find an ideal driving position but eventually I either found it or I adapted. The road noise and stiff suspension I will never get used to but it's been a great purchase so far
Old 11-29-2009, 07:51 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by 4G Express
Took me awhile to find an ideal driving position but eventually I either found it or I adapted. The road noise and stiff suspension I will never get used to but it's been a great purchase so far
Dude, I grew up on Staten Island, where about are you from, I lived in Great Kills. I really can't imagine owning an AWD in any of the NYC 5 boroughs, the roads I drive here in Atlanta are usually very good.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:27 AM
Grandpa

I am in my late 20's, 6ft about 180lbs....I have the seat all the way down and all the way back and like you I bring the telescoping steering toward me.... Any ideas?
I'm sorry but I'm not sure I do have any ideas. What I've said worked for me. My only problem was that the initial position that I tried that appeared to give me the most control was one that eventually introduced a fatigue.

You learn things like this the hard way sometimes. My track car is a DC2 ITR w/a K Motor, and the fixed seating position in that car had to be changed when I started doing something other than the short 20-minute sprint sessions.

Personally, I don't understand why you'd have the seat all the way back if you're only 6' tall and certainly not carrying a lot of weight. Maybe you've gone the opposite direction than the one you should've gone w/the adjustments! :-)
Old 11-29-2009, 08:33 AM
Grandpa

You're going to think that I'm silly, but I played around with my car for a few seconds.

If I put the seat all the way back (I'm 6'2" and 210) while the seat's adjusted on the floor, I put a little too much pressure on the bottom of my legs and from experience I would say that it's the kind of pressure that would eventually cause a circulation problem.

I dunno for sure but maybe you want to try something a little the opposite of what you've been trying.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:17 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by docboy
What type of lower extremity problems do you suffer from?
I suffer from periphery artery disease. It does fatigue my legs and for one reason or another in the TL it just happens faster.

KeithL--I too wish the lumbar was adjustable as I find the same as you.

George Knighton--I have tried a lot of different seat positions but its hard to recall exactly what I have tried. I'll try bringing my seat more forward again to see if that works. Maybe even raise the thigh support and see if that works.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:43 PM
Instructor

I am loyal and happy too.
I love my 09 TL inside and out.
I had read a lot about the exterior design, but when I saw it in person and live in the wild, I thought (and still think) wow that's a damn good looking car.
Nothing else out there looks like it and that's just how I prefer it.

The interior is the best out there. Fit and finish are perfect. The ride is smooth and silky. The AWD tight and nimble. I love it exponentially more than my old 07 TL.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:03 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by KeithL
Dude, I grew up on Staten Island, where about are you from, I lived in Great Kills. I really can't imagine owning an AWD in any of the NYC 5 boroughs, the roads I drive here in Atlanta are usually very good.
Hah get out, Im originally from Old Town but just moved to New Dorp and the roads are the worst!
Old 11-30-2009, 10:04 AM
Thbbbbbbbbbbbt

Absolutely loving mine! Contrary to popular web belief, you would not believe the amount of "that car is beautiful" I get every day.

In fact just a week ago, my neighbors liked my TL and the wife's MDX so much that they just traded in their X5 and 3series for an MDX & TSX.

They wanted an AWD TL but are not in a position to buy one just yet so they went with the TSX on a lease and will get the AWD TL at the end of the lease.

Talked to them last night and they are really enjoying them!
Old 11-30-2009, 11:08 AM
Grandpa

George Knighton--I have tried a lot of different seat positions but its hard to recall exactly what I have tried. I'll try bringing my seat more forward again to see if that works. Maybe even raise the thigh support and see if that works.
If you brought the seat forward w/out raising it much, and without raising the thigh support, I'm wondering if that would help.

Maybe if you did it so that your legs are slightly bent, in order to take off any pressure from the seat bottom, but not so bent that your right knee is on the centre console?
Old 11-30-2009, 03:40 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by George Knighton
If you brought the seat forward w/out raising it much, and without raising the thigh support, I'm wondering if that would help.

Maybe if you did it so that your legs are slightly bent, in order to take off any pressure from the seat bottom, but not so bent that your right knee is on the centre console?
Yeah I am going to try this, I thought I had tried it before but can't remember. I just don't have the car to try it. Hopefully the car will come next week as promised to me. Thanks for your input/concerns. Much appreciated.
Old 12-01-2009, 08:41 AM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
First time Acura owner so can’t say I’m loyal but I do love the car. Just took it on an 8 hour road trip this past weekend for the holiday and it is an excellent car for road trips. Very comfortable and was able to enjoy all the cool techs it came with it. I drove it to the Midwest area so you don’t so a lot of luxury brand cards in the highway gas stations. I noticed when I bring the car to a gas station a lot of people stare at it. I don’t know if they think it is good looking or think it’s ugly but I don’t care because at least it is getting attention. I love getting the attention of driving something different. Last thing I want is spend all this money on a car that only depreciates and only to have people not notice it because it blends in with other cars or common sighting because too many people drive it.

And you can’t complain about the interior, it is just handsome and I love the details of all the buttons light up at light specially the window buttons, overhead bottoms for the moon roof and map lights and also the buttons for the trunk and gas lid. I sat in a G35 before and hardly any buttons light up at night! Not even the overhead buttons for the moon roof or windows. I can’t stand that…
Old 12-01-2009, 12:24 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dtc5
And you can’t complain about the interior, it is just handsome and I love the details of all the buttons light up at light specially the window buttons, overhead bottoms for the moon roof and map lights and also the buttons for the trunk and gas lid. I sat in a G35 before and hardly any buttons light up at night! Not even the overhead buttons for the moon roof or windows. I can’t stand that…
Well, actually, the 2009 TL won the "best interior in a luxury sedan & coupe" award from our CAA (Canadian Automobilists association) branch in Quebec. Forget BMW, MB, Lexus and Audi, Acura won it this year and I think it's well deserved!

If there's onlt the exterior to fix to some extent, I can live with that!

Welcome in the Acura family!
Old 12-01-2009, 10:27 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by dtc5
... I don’t know if they think it is good looking or think it’s ugly but I don’t care because at least it is getting attention. I love getting the attention of driving something different. Last thing I want is spend all this money on a car that only depreciates and only to have people not notice it because it blends in with other cars or common sighting because too many people drive it.
You nailed it right there pal, that's what this car is all about...
Old 12-07-2009, 10:06 AM
10th Gear

Hey guys I am new to this forum but not to the Acura TL. I owned a first gen for a while that treated me wonderful. When hunting for a new car, I searched all the new brands from Acura to Infiniti and hands down, for the money I had to come back home to the TL. The sleek body and phenomonal interior literally take your breath away. None of the other vehicles captured my undivided attention like the TL. This car will has set a new standard for the industry. Im just glad I am a part of this new wave of excellence!
Old 12-07-2009, 09:22 PM
Racer

Driving a 4th Generation TL is telling the whole world that you are a trend setter NOT a trend follower.
Old 12-08-2009, 05:40 PM
10th Gear

Hey no doubt, and we are apart of setting the standard for the new wave of Acura. I Love It!
Old 12-09-2009, 06:40 AM
Grandpa

After having to drive home late last night in a snowstorm, I'm even happier with this car. :-)
Old 12-09-2009, 01:21 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
Originally Posted by CleanCL
I'm very happy with this purchase and wouldn't hesitate doing it again. While the exterior is polarizing at first, almost every person who steps inside the car is impressed. Then after they see it a bit, well my exterior has been modified, but they actually say they like the look of the car too.
.. you bought a 4G?.. nice. I should visit this side more.. with the exterior mods available.. it's growing on me. The rear is going to take some more time though.
Old 12-09-2009, 01:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
support group FTW
Old 12-09-2009, 03:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
5" here overnight in the Boston area (Framingham). All I can say is W-O-W!