4G TL (2009-2014)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

4G Jewel Eye Conversion has been done?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 09:24 AM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
This looks awesome. Do you know how they are hooking up the wiring, especially the DRLs? I assume you have to hack up the factory harness going to the lights?
Old 07-02-2015, 03:10 PM
Drifting

Received 416 Likes on 365 Posts
Thank you. Looks good! IMO expensive but justifiable for the aesthetic factor, whether they illuminate less or more than HID is another topic.
Old 07-05-2015, 09:36 PM
Pro

Received 355 Likes on 190 Posts
Good stuff. Lots of cost and expense, but will look nice and custom on the TL when done.

I have on them my RLX and they are definitely sexy.
Old 07-05-2015, 09:53 PM
Drifting

Received 591 Likes on 427 Posts
You've gotta be itching to get your car back. It's been almost a month now. Lol.
Old 07-10-2015, 02:00 PM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
Update...

Hey guys,
Sorry I haven't updated anyone in a while, but here is where we stand.

The wiring of the lights is a pain in the ass.

First off, since the TL has the high beam and DRL as one in the same bulb (just different power levels) it has rendered it hard to wire.

Solution: The DRL is going to be hooked up to a separate switch in the cabin. I ordered another VSA off switch to fill the empty slot. Here's a picture of what I mean (I know the image isn't a 4g TL, but it is virtually the same).

I am just going to get a high quality sticker or spray it with a stencil and put "DRL" over the "VSA OFF". Should look stock, I will leave them on all the time, just have the switch turn off w/ the car.

Secondly,
When the stalk is set to "Off" the two high beam lights flicker at a very low voltage. It is weird, but my guy is fixing it.

Third,
The "Auto" function does not work. My guy is looking into it and trying to get it to function again.

The high beams work w/ the stalk as well as the "Lights on" function.

Another small issue was my VLED switchbacks came with a faulty bulb! I had to get another one shipped out and installed.

Little issues, but it should be wrapped up within the week.

Ill get back to you guys on the final product.
The following users liked this post:
suspekt360 (08-18-2015)
Old 07-10-2015, 02:09 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Duct_Taper
This looks awesome. Do you know how they are hooking up the wiring, especially the DRLs? I assume you have to hack up the factory harness going to the lights?

Yes, The factory harness has been cut up. Basically a custom wiring job, which is what is holding it all up at this point. In the response I just posted prior to this I get into more detail on the wiring.

Originally Posted by HeartTLs
Thank you. Looks good! IMO expensive but justifiable for the aesthetic factor, whether they illuminate less or more than HID is another topic.

I love how they look. Make the TL look like a brand new model on the road with those! I believe the illumination has been proven to be better than HID's regardless of what I have read. They are bright as hell I have seen them in person

Originally Posted by CanadacuraTL
Good stuff. Lots of cost and expense, but will look nice and custom on the TL when done.

I have on them my RLX and they are definitely sexy.

I wish the RLX's were easier to find on Ebay, I would have definitely picked those bad boys up. According to my guy the angle of the RLX lights would have fit better into the TL housing to make the light beams point more natural than the MDX ones.

Originally Posted by BDoggPrelude
You've gotta be itching to get your car back. It's been almost a month now. Lol.

I am itching like I have poison ivy and a hives outbreak at the same time lol. I want my car back BAD, but I want it done the way I want and I am not cutting any corners at all. These guys have been super patient as well opening the housings several times to get this right and a lot of custom painting and hours spent on their end. It will be done soon though.
Old 07-10-2015, 03:41 PM
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 64 Posts
Waiting anxiously to see pictures and videos
Old 07-10-2015, 05:59 PM
Drifting

Received 416 Likes on 365 Posts
Trouble with custom is these unforeseen hiccups.
Old 07-12-2015, 12:55 PM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
^^^^^

Agree.

Trying to integrate into the factory lighting system is never an easy task.
Old 07-18-2015, 01:47 PM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Any updates so far?
Old 07-24-2015, 05:32 PM
Instructor

DRLs

Headlights

DRLs

The following 2 users liked this post by Pgr1990:
freeurmind69 (08-25-2015), JTL12 (07-25-2015)
Old 07-24-2015, 05:41 PM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Old 07-24-2015, 06:45 PM
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
That looks sweeeeet! thanks for keeping us updated.
Old 07-24-2015, 09:20 PM
Drifting

Looks awesome! Congrats! I bet you're as happy to have it back as the shop is to have it done. Lol.
Old 07-24-2015, 09:27 PM
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Looks great!! So what was damage to wallet????
Old 07-24-2015, 09:42 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by TLbullet
Looks great!! So what was damage to wallet????
Post #79.

Originally Posted by Pgr1990
I will give you the best rundown and estimate (Ill fill you in when I receive a bill on what the total is)

I bought the MDX headlights on EBAY off a wrecked car. Both of them ran me approximately $400. One was $180, the other was $220. Brand new they run $850 a piece, so I recommend finding damaged housings with intact electronics and LED module's like I did.

I was initially quoted at $700.00 for the labor and materials (materials consisted of the custom box) of the shop. We ran into issues with the radiator support which ran another $300 to cut it and re weld a support to make it safe and fit the housings.

Altogether my costs are $1,400.. unless there are some surprises for the labor when I go to pick it up the shop should be charging me $1,000 as I haven't heard a change in the initial quote following the additional $300 for the radiator support cutting and welding.

*Note: I would highly recommend buying the TL housings as well, so the shop can work on the retrofitting and custom housing (which is the majority of the work) and in the meantime you can use your car. I have been out of mine for like a month now. I mean I took the plunge and assumed the risk going into it so I am not upset by any means, but if I was to do it over again I would have bought additional TL housings.

I hope this helps!
Old 07-24-2015, 09:52 PM
Drifting

Received 671 Likes on 541 Posts
Awesome looking , must be nice to have your car back again.
Old 07-24-2015, 10:13 PM
Drifting

I can't tell from the pics but do you have the Morimoto LED fogs? If not, that should be on your list too.
Old 07-25-2015, 12:34 AM
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
thats wassup!!

looks amazing man. took a while but definitely worth the wait.

what they have to say now? lol
Old 07-25-2015, 01:28 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by BDoggPrelude
I can't tell from the pics but do you have the Morimoto LED fogs? If not, that should be on your list too.
I have the morimotos 😉
Old 07-25-2015, 02:01 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
superb and PM'd
Old 07-26-2015, 11:39 AM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
That looks bad ass.. ..
It seemed like the shop did a good job for this mod. Maybe this is a little early to ask this question but how does the head lights hold up after the rain we had (i believe your license plate said CT which is close to my area)?? Is there any moisture condensation?
Old 07-26-2015, 02:28 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Cooldude01
That looks bad ass.. ..
It seemed like the shop did a good job for this mod. Maybe this is a little early to ask this question but how does the head lights hold up after the rain we had (i believe your license plate said CT which is close to my area)?? Is there any moisture condensation?
I went through the rain this morning on I-91 for about an hour, it went through the car wash twice and absolutely not a single drop of water has gotten in.

Everything on them is great. Just a couple odds and ends and it will be 100%. I was told to drive it for a few days and through the rain to let it settle in and contact them for some finishing touches. Oh and BTW I never had to install that switch it all works through the stalk!

Honestly the only things that has to be done at this point are very minor.

-Driver side Amber corner light isn't lighting up in DRL mode only. Every other stalk mode it lights up as normal.

-The driver side switchback is going out of sync a bit. It functions but it's a little off while the passenger side is perfect.

-Headlight low beams, and highs, are pointing a little too high just have to be adjusted. I compared them with my sisters Lexus against the garage and they are about 18" too high, basically blinding people I'm driving by. If I'm
on the road and it is dark I'm keeping the DRLs on but mainly avoiding night driving as much as I can. They made the housing detachable so any maintenance will be a piece of cake now. They also made the housing out of metal and basically built a cage.

(Any temporary fixes on how to make the cutoff of the beam lower would be helpful. I'm thinking of maybe covering the lens with a strip to bring it down. I attempted electrical tape but it started burning lol. Bringing the car in on August 7th so need a 2 week quick fix.)

-Gap between the bumper and drivers side headlight on the bottom. Really not noticeable unless it is your car and you are inspecting the work.

-Lenses are a bit scratched and scuffed up on the inside and out from the process. Looking for a fresh set, but they only sell them as whole headlights which are like 300 bucks a piece. If I can't find a lens I'll live with it, it's really not that bad to justify spending $600 for pieces of plastic.

(If anyone has a set lying around please let me know!)

All in all though, I'm extremely happy with the outcome. I wish it was faster, but I anticipated it being a process with me throwing a custom job like this at someone. These guys did amazing work and took a lot of time and patience to make it happen. PM me for details I'll be glad to spread the word on the shop. I'd post it here but I'm pretty sure I can't, I know most forums only want sponsored shops and products advertised on the boards.

Im returning from my vacation on the 16th so I figure by the 17th or 18th it will be all wrapped up.
Old 07-26-2015, 07:59 PM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Pgr1990

-Headlight low beams, and highs, are pointing a little too high just have to be adjusted. I compared them with my sisters Lexus against the garage and they are about 18" too high, basically blinding people I'm driving by. If I'm
on the road and it is dark I'm keeping the DRLs on but mainly avoiding night driving as much as I can. They made the housing detachable so any maintenance will be a piece of cake now. They also made the housing out of metal and basically built a cage.

(Any temporary fixes on how to make the cutoff of the beam lower would be helpful. I'm thinking of maybe covering the lens with a strip to bring it down. I attempted electrical tape but it started burning lol. Bringing the car in on August 7th so need a 2 week quick fix.)
I'm a little surprise that the LEDs generate that much of heat to melt the electrical tape.
You can buy the High temp resistant tape at Walmart for $10 a roll and cover the small top portion of the head lights to reduce that 18" area. You only need it for 2 weeks so I don't think it should be a problem .... GL...
Old 07-27-2015, 12:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 648 Likes on 349 Posts
looks good!
Old 07-31-2015, 09:17 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts
it does not blend as well as on the 3G
Old 08-16-2015, 09:32 AM
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts
Does anyone know if this can be done using RXL components?
Old 08-16-2015, 01:22 PM
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by LostProphet
Does anyone know if this can be done using RXL components?
I swore I read, it may have been better off with the RLX Components due to the angle of the lights from RLX to TL being more comparable.
Old 08-16-2015, 03:11 PM
Instructor

I found a sweet deal on eBay for both RLX headlights complete with led modules and ballast.
I might pull the trigger on this one!
Old 08-16-2015, 03:50 PM
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by LostProphet
I found a sweet deal on eBay for both RLX headlights complete with led modules and ballast.
I might pull the trigger on this one!
That's awesome, let me know how it goes. I'm interested to see how they work with the RLX Headlights. I would plan on doing this myself in a couple of months.
Old 08-16-2015, 06:13 PM
Instructor

I will let you and everyone know once I receive my rlx headlights. Also I want to star a new thread about this topic but my account has to be upgraded first.

I found something very interesting in the hid planet forum check it out
RLX headlights
Old 08-16-2015, 06:21 PM
Instructor

It would be awesome if user pgr1990 could share with more detail what the installer said about the RXL headlights.
Old 08-18-2015, 10:28 AM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Be careful about deals on eBay for RLX lights as there was a recall on them for the reflective surface flaking off inside the LED projectors... if they have holes drilled in the outer lenses then they're almost definitely recalled. Even if they look perfect they may be subject to the recall and could lose significant output over time...
The following 2 users liked this post by Duct_Taper:
BDoggPrelude (08-18-2015), ucf_bronco (08-18-2015)
Old 08-18-2015, 03:35 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Duct_Taper
Be careful about deals on eBay for RLX lights as there was a recall on them for the reflective surface flaking off inside the LED projectors... if they have holes drilled in the outer lenses then they're almost definitely recalled. Even if they look perfect they may be subject to the recall and could lose significant output over time...
^^^Good information right here. After LostProphet posted that I looked on eBay to see how much they were going for, (I have no interest in retrofitting my lights, I was just curious how cheap they were). I was shocked at how many sets of RLX headlights are for sale on eBay right now. I was wondering how the hell so many RLX's had been totaled without any front end damage when it's such a new and low volume vehicle. I bet those are all from the recall. I would avoid those like the plague.

Edit: Holy shit! If you go on eBay and search for "RLX headlights" and then sort by highest price first, there are 76 auctions in the first 80 or so listings for used RLX headlights! Some are for pairs but most are single headlights. That's insane! Obviously, something is not right there.

Last edited by BDoggPrelude; 08-18-2015 at 03:43 PM.
Old 08-18-2015, 06:00 PM
Instructor

Thank you guys for your advices, I got a pair for $300 shipped in great condition with led modules and ballast included, no drilled holes or visible flaking, they just look perfect! I was reading something about the inner reflective lenses peeling off or flaking and they are being recalled for this reason, looks like this is happening due to the heat damaging the inner chrome coating. I wonder if I can solve this myself by repainting the lenses with a high quality chrome paint since I will be removing all the components? Or do I just return them?
Old 09-01-2015, 09:58 AM
Instructor

So, I dropped my car off again at the beginning of August to get the lights readjusted and I purchased a set of housings online to make it easier. My lenses were scratched to hell and the new set of housings provided a nice clear lens along with more material to work with. The shop reworked my headlights and I got the car back yesterday. Here is the current situation.

-They look 100x better with the clear lenses.

-They fixed my low beams from pointing way up and blinding everyone I drove by. They still need a minor tweak to make them perfect, but the shop says that will just be a simple day.

-When I got the car back on the passenger side the two outside DRL's are dim. I am guessing it is an issue with the ground, probably has to be cleaned or something because it is still getting power just not as bright as it should be. Low beams and high are unaffected by this. Check it out and let me know if you agree because if I have to buy another set of MDX jewels I will be very very upset.

Old 09-01-2015, 10:04 AM
Racer

Hey can u link me to where you got the new headlight housings? I need some lenses as well!

Damn they look sweet, not sure why those 2 are dim. I'd def be letting them know right away.
Old 09-01-2015, 11:04 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mjakaz09TL
Hey can u link me to where you got the new headlight housings? I need some lenses as well!

Damn they look sweet, not sure why those 2 are dim. I'd def be letting them know right away.
Here you go!

2009 2013 Acura TL 4G Depo Crystal Black Housing Headlights with Clear Corners | eBay
Old 09-01-2015, 11:13 AM
Racer

Thanks! Holy hell 280 per lense lol. What will u do w the rest of the lights? Damnit I wish u could order just the lenses. Mine the UV coating is fading and the inside looks all scratched up. For that price I may open em up and try wet sanding them inside and out and possibly applying a UV coating.
Old 09-01-2015, 12:40 PM
Drifting

Received 554 Likes on 387 Posts
^^^ I recommend you just use Meguiar's PlastX on the inside...don't wetsand!

When I opened my headlights a few months ago I tried to clean the inside of the housing and make it look horrible (hazy and scratched to hell). It took me a solid hour of rubbing with the PlastX but it looked great when done (only did one). It's held up since then as well.

That won't last long-term on the outside but I highly recommend it for the inside.

Quick Reply: 4G Jewel Eye Conversion has been done?