4G Jewel Eye Conversion has been done?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 10:05 PM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
4G Jewel Eye Conversion has been done?

Okay, I just came across this... I would 100% pay for this to be done if this picture is genuine and not ludicrously expensive. I tried searching for it on the forums, but came up with nil. Anyone have any info on this and is the member that did this (if it is a real picture and not photoshopped) available to give us a rundown?! Looks absolutely AMAZING!

Old 05-25-2015, 10:16 PM
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Saw this dude on Instagram with it. And a 3rd Gen got his done as well its on here actually.
Old 05-25-2015, 10:18 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by CruzanTLSH-AWD
Saw this dude on Instagram with it. And a 3rd Gen got his done as well its on here actually.
Those are the MDX jewels too it looks better than the TLX's IMO
Old 05-25-2015, 11:08 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Pgr1990
Those are the MDX jewels too it looks better than the TLX's IMO
I'm down for that mod real soon. With the 12-14 front end swap. But I'm not getting the body kit till I see how this headlight swap works.
Old 05-26-2015, 08:41 AM
The Original Shawdy

Received 421 Likes on 344 Posts
I've seen it done a couple times on the 4G now. 3G as well.
Old 05-26-2015, 11:04 AM

Received 1,020 Likes on 792 Posts
they only LOOK good.. performance-wise.. they are not par with traditional projector with HID bulb.
Old 05-26-2015, 11:06 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
you have to take apart 4 head lights.

an mdx pair and a TL pair.
you're going to have to frankenstien them together, because the MDX jewel lights have a huge heat sink attached to the rear. the back of the TL lights wont encase them.

also, lots of gluing/plastic welding, in order to get the head light adjustments to work
Old 05-26-2015, 11:10 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,576 Likes on 6,626 Posts
ON a 3G:
https://acurazine.com/forums/photogr...te-car-930330/
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (05-26-2015)
Old 05-26-2015, 11:49 AM

totally not worth it..

if you are looking for a COOL factor and want to be COOL then i can see these to work to your favor.. showcar status.. but otherwise.. its just glowing lights with a huge price tag
Old 05-26-2015, 03:22 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by potmilkz
totally not worth it..

if you are looking for a COOL factor and want to be COOL then i can see these to work to your favor.. showcar status.. but otherwise.. its just glowing lights with a huge price tag

Isn't that something you could say about any cosmetic mod... Like buying aftermarket wheels?

I already messaged this guy on Instagram and got the scoop. Basically each MDX light costs $900 a piece. He bought two extra TL headlights because he had to cut out the back to fit the heat sinks and obviously wanted a working stock set in case this project didn't work. All in all its a few grand, and I think it looks pretty badass and would certainly spend the money on this for it to be done right. IMO the 4g TL with the MDX jewel eyes looks better than the TLX's.
Old 05-26-2015, 05:25 PM

Isn't that something you could say about any cosmetic mod... Like buying aftermarket wheels?
not the same, aftermarket wheels, if chosen wisely weights less than stock wheels... a set of 19 inch volks rays wheels can weigh few pounds less than a stock 19 inch oem acura wheel..

in this case for these jeweled headlights since there is really only 1 set/standard avaliable.. it is not worth it.. you cant tune these jewel eyes.. thus means that whatever you get is whatever you get.. you are just putting them in a different housing..
Old 05-26-2015, 05:52 PM
Instructor

not the same, aftermarket wheels, if chosen wisely weights less than stock wheels... a set of 19 inch volks rays wheels can weigh few pounds less than a stock 19 inch oem acura wheel..

in this case for these jeweled headlights since there is really only 1 set/standard avaliable.. it is not worth it.. you cant tune these jewel eyes.. thus means that whatever you get is whatever you get.. you are just putting them in a different housing..
We are all driving a 4,000 pound metal pig that is the 4th Gen TL. Not to speak for everyone, but with this platform I'm quite positive nearly all people that get aftermarket wheels are doing it for the cosmetic appearance, not the weight savings.. I mean hell if you save 5 pounds a wheel you haven't even shaved 1% off the weight off the car. It would be equivalent to a 180 pound man losing half a pound.

If you're looking for a platform to "tune" which is the term you seem so adamant in using, then you've chosen wrong. The 4G TL is terrible with aftermarket support and the lack of forced induction makes it a bad candidate to try to get big gains out of.

Dropping a few grand on those customized jewel eyes certainly looks like it is worth the appearance, it will certainly turn heads. But, to each his own. I for one am going to drop the hammer on these as long as I can find a competent person to retrofit the MDX jewels in my TL's housings. I like the "what kind of car is that" appearance it gives the car. I for one have already spent a few thousand on my car modifying it and I have the bug. Generally I don't fall for cosmetic upgrades, but this one is seriously awesome looking. It looks factory, but totally badass.
Old 05-26-2015, 06:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
We are all driving a 4,000 pound metal pig that is the 4th Gen TL. Not to speak for everyone, but with this platform I'm quite positive nearly all people that get aftermarket wheels are doing it for the cosmetic appearance, not the weight savings.. I mean hell if you save 5 pounds a wheel you haven't even shaved 1% off the weight off the car. It would be equivalent to a 180 pound man losing half a pound.

If you're looking for a platform to "tune" which is the term you seem so adamant in using, then you've chosen wrong. The 4G TL is terrible with aftermarket support and the lack of forced induction makes it a bad candidate to try to get big gains out of.

Dropping a few grand on those customized jewel eyes certainly looks like it is worth the appearance, it will certainly turn heads. But, to each his own. I for one am going to drop the hammer on these as long as I can find a competent person to retrofit the MDX jewels in my TL's housings. I like the "what kind of car is that" appearance it gives the car. I for one have already spent a few thousand on my car modifying it and I have the bug. Generally I don't fall for cosmetic upgrades, but this one is seriously awesome looking. It looks factory, but totally badass.
5lbs is UNSPRUNG weight. Unsprung weight is more important than sprung weight (things like seats battery etc)

2nd, while i agree, it may "look" cool, why make the lights less useable like potmilkz was getting at. A good set of projectors will still outshine the jewleyes and be more useable while driving. Its like someone throwing in 20k hids because they think they "look" cool (which they dont). Why make output worse?
The following 2 users liked this post by fsttyms1:
Edward'TLS (05-27-2015), HeartTLs (05-27-2015)
Old 05-26-2015, 10:37 PM

please sit down.. you clearly have a basic knowledge of cars..

this comment alone "I mean hell if you save 5 pounds a wheel you haven't even shaved 1% off the weight off the car" shows how much you know already.. which is very little..

dropping a few grand on headlights so you can "turn heads" is stupid.... think about it.. a few GRAND.. not few hundred..
Old 05-27-2015, 12:51 AM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
5lbs is UNSPRUNG weight. Unsprung weight is more important than sprung weight (things like seats battery etc)

2nd, while i agree, it may "look" cool, why make the lights less useable like potmilkz was getting at. A good set of projectors will still outshine the jewleyes and be more useable while driving. Its like someone throwing in 20k hids because they think they "look" cool (which they dont). Why make output worse?
Oh yes, unsprung weight is one critical factor in determining the handling performance of a vehicle.

Not only can a set of light-weight rims accelerate and slow-down (or brake) faster due to the lower mass moment of inertia, it can also significantly improve the throttle response of the such installed vehicle.

Moreover, the suspension will also react to the road surfaces faster due to the lower unsprung weight, and so allows improved handling performance.

However, heavy rims will do the opposite.

But different headlights (no matter how cool) don't do squat to handling performance.
Old 05-27-2015, 01:19 AM
Pro

I can't lie I been doing research on this for Months.. And today I was quoted like over $2000...... It's your car you do what you like. If it was $1200 I would have done it but I'll wait a few yrs and see how much the price drops if I'm still interested. And as far as Light weight wheels go... It's makes a world of difference. Thats why I can hold my new set of Chrome FORGED wheels with 2 fingers and the 19 oem not so much. Car revs much easier. Ain't got my alignment yet but I'll see whats gucci after that. But again it's your car do what makes you happy.
Old 05-27-2015, 04:25 AM
Instructor

please sit down.. you clearly have a basic knowledge of cars..

this comment alone "I mean hell if you save 5 pounds a wheel you haven't even shaved 1% off the weight off the car" shows how much you know already.. which is very little..

dropping a few grand on headlights so you can "turn heads" is stupid.... think about it.. a few GRAND.. not few hundred..
I stand corrected on the performance aspect of lighter weight wheels. I did some research on them and they do in fact make a difference. Do I think the difference is worth a few thousand visually and on a performance level for my DD.. No. I had them on my G37 coupe with Yokohama S drive tires and didn't even realize it made a difference, I just figured the car handled better from the upgraded rubber. I did the wheels for the visual effect.

I have upgraded several cars going back to my first being a 2006 RSX, so I've been across many forums and have modified many platforms. Because I'm not an expert on lightweight wheel performance I don't think qualifies me as "knowing nothing" like I'm Jon Snow.

I guess I have some money to spend so a couple thousand doesn't really bother me when in turn I'm getting a pretty badass visual effect. I guess I'll equate it to getting a really nice paint job on a car. There are no performance gains (unless it has gone over my head that there is lightweight paint that shaves seconds off 1/4 mile times) but people do it for the aesthetics. Which is why I'm going to move forward on the custom Jewel eyes.
Old 05-27-2015, 04:32 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by CruzanTLSH-AWD
I can't lie I been doing research on this for Months.. And today I was quoted like over $2000...... It's your car you do what you like. If it was $1200 I would have done it but I'll wait a few yrs and see how much the price drops if I'm still interested. And as far as Light weight wheels go... It's makes a world of difference. Thats why I can hold my new set of Chrome FORGED wheels with 2 fingers and the 19 oem not so much. Car revs much easier. Ain't got my alignment yet but I'll see whats gucci after that. But again it's your car do what makes you happy.
If you don't mind me asking what type of places will take on a custom job like this. I've asked my performance shop, but this don't down their alley. The guy that made them in the original photo will do it if I send him the parts but I still have to modify my car to fit the heat sinks. I'm in Connecticut and would like to get this all done locally by a professional in a custom job like this especially if I have any problems id like to have the person that created them to fix them.
Old 05-27-2015, 11:46 AM

Because I'm not an expert on lightweight wheel performance I don't think qualifies me as "knowing nothing" like I'm Jon Snow.
Please next time when you are unclear on a certain topic, please research then comment.. We dont want to be spreading false info around here..

I guess I have some money to spend so a couple thousand doesn't really bother me when in turn I'm getting a pretty badass visual effect. I guess I'll equate it to getting a really nice paint job on a car. There are no performance gains (unless it has gone over my head that there is lightweight paint that shaves seconds off 1/4 mile times) but people do it for the aesthetics. Which is why I'm going to move forward on the custom Jewel eyes.
Its all up to the individual, most of us here will not spend few grand on just headlights.. its a rather dumb investment.. unless you are all show and trying to win some trophies or get sponsored, id save it for a nice set of wheels.. suspension, lip kit, exhaust, intake...

and for everyone to know.. a tune is coming.. its in the works.. i have a friend that just dude fuel tuning.. he is working on ignition. should be done within the next few months.. waiting for him to give me the word and ill let everyone know.. This will work on fwd and awd. both mt and automatic.
Old 05-27-2015, 03:38 PM
Pro

If you don't mind me asking what type of places will take on a custom job like this. I've asked my performance shop, but this don't down their alley. The guy that made them in the original photo will do it if I send him the parts but I still have to modify my car to fit the heat sinks. I'm in Connecticut and would like to get this all done locally by a professional in a custom job like this especially if I have any problems id like to have the person that created them to fix them.
No idea I just talk to the guy who does the Retro Fit in my area. And he himself shut it down. But there is a next guy here (Toronto Area) that did a 3rd Gen. But your out east I'm sure someone in the NY area could do it. Check the Regional Forums.
Old 05-27-2015, 03:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 89 Posts
Last time I drove some of the Acuras with the Jewel LEDs, they were in fact brighter than the standard HID found in our 4th gen TL's. I'm saying this with putting over 20k miles on a MDX and RLX. Acura wouldn't chance their entire lineup and brand by putting inferior lights onto their cars, especially the most critical and important lights on the vehicles. I will believe my own personal experience and a multi million dollar company over some kid from California. I haven't done it yet but the only 100% fool proof way to figure it out is by using a par meter.

I remember members on here saying I couldn't get a clear/white day time running light and have the high beam function as well. That theory went out the window because I did it and posted videos of it, that kid from California also told me this couldn't be done.
Old 05-27-2015, 05:35 PM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Received 345 Likes on 253 Posts
Other than gluing, cutting, welding, etc... I was wondering if there are any other components, probably electrical/electronic device/circuit that are required to make this work on a 4G TL? Is there anything else that is required to "drive" these jewel-eye ones? (I mean other than the ballast already in the TL)

Last edited by Tonyware; 05-27-2015 at 05:45 PM.
Old 05-28-2015, 09:01 AM
Drifting

Received 591 Likes on 427 Posts
For anybody that is serious about doing this, there are a pair of MDX jewel eye headlights on eBay right now for $400. Two separate auctions, one for $180 and one for $220. Both have a "best offer" option. Just search for MDX jewel eye and they come up right away. Probably about the best deal you're gonna find on the major parts needed for the conversion.
Old 05-28-2015, 09:33 AM
Senior Moderator

Retrofit source had a pair not that long ago that went for 400 bucks. Just gotta look around.
Old 05-28-2015, 09:34 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Brock79
Last time I drove some of the Acuras with the Jewel LEDs, they were in fact brighter than the standard HID found in our 4th gen TL's. I'm saying this with putting over 20k miles on a MDX and RLX. Acura wouldn't chance their entire lineup and brand by putting inferior lights onto their cars, especially the most critical and important lights on the vehicles. I will believe my own personal experience and a multi million dollar company over some kid from California. I haven't done it yet but the only 100% fool proof way to figure it out is by using a par meter.

I remember members on here saying I couldn't get a clear/white day time running light and have the high beam function as well. That theory went out the window because I did it and posted videos of it, that kid from California also told me this couldn't be done.
And the 4g headlights sucked compared to the 3g. It wouldnt take much as far as retrofitting to get a good bixenon from the 3g in there with a better lense that would far surpass the jewel eyes
Old 05-28-2015, 12:55 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Retrofit source had a pair not that long ago that went for 400 bucks. Just gotta look around.
I've been looking on ebay. The ones with auto leveling are more expensive than without. I don't know if that matters at all with the application we are trying to use them for. Also if I buy used lights from 2 different MDXs will the LEDs match up. I know overtime some lights get to be a different color not sure if it applies to LEDS. Some input on this would help before I drop a g note on jewel eyes.
Old 05-28-2015, 01:11 PM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
I'm so in for this mod if someone gets a write up.
Old 05-28-2015, 01:12 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kumar-TL
I'm so in for this mod if someone gets a write up.
I'm collaborating with the guy who's originally did it. I'll be sending the housings to him. I'll have something for you guys when they are done and installed.
Old 05-28-2015, 01:20 PM
Drifting

I've been looking on ebay. The ones with auto leveling are more expensive than without. I don't know if that matters at all with the application we are trying to use them for. Also if I buy used lights from 2 different MDXs will the LEDs match up. I know overtime some lights get to be a different color not sure if it applies to LEDS. Some input on this would help before I drop a g note on jewel eyes.
Those are from the same seller so I'm going to assume they came off the same MDX. I don't think LED's color shift over time anyway.

If you are serious about doing it though, I'd hop on those lights. Considering he's selling them for $400 shipped OBO, you might wanna shoot him a message and offer like $350 for the pair. The more people start doing the Jewel Eye conversion, the harder it will be to find the parts and the more they will cost. If I felt even remotely confident in my ability to do the conversion and could afford the down time with my car, I'd be all over it.
Old 05-28-2015, 01:44 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by BDoggPrelude
Those are from the same seller so I'm going to assume they came off the same MDX. I don't think LED's color shift over time anyway.

If you are serious about doing it though, I'd hop on those lights. Considering he's selling them for $400 shipped OBO, you might wanna shoot him a message and offer like $350 for the pair. The more people start doing the Jewel Eye conversion, the harder it will be to find the parts and the more they will cost. If I felt even remotely confident in my ability to do the conversion and could afford the down time with my car, I'd be all over it.
Could you PM me the links so I can check them out and hopefully scoop them up?
Old 05-28-2015, 02:08 PM
Instructor

I just bought them. I thought you meant $400 a piece.. When I saw it was combined I jumped all over it.
Old 05-28-2015, 02:41 PM
Drifting

I just bought them. I thought you meant $400 a piece.. When I saw it was combined I jumped all over it.
Lol. No. One was $180 and the other was $220. Nice grab though.
Old 05-28-2015, 02:46 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by BDoggPrelude
Lol. No. One was $180 and the other was $220. Nice grab though.
You're the man BDogg, I owe you a beer!
Old 05-28-2015, 03:42 PM
Drifting

Received 554 Likes on 387 Posts
Says the guy who spent probably two or three times that amount on air suspension to "turn heads". Potz calling the kettle black? How about the cost of those forged wheels? Granted there's a safety factor involved but my cast wheels are serving me just fine (along with many other members on AZ).

Does the jewel eyes look cool, yes! Would I spend that kind of money to get that look, no! I'm not gonna piss in someone's Cheerios though that has the money and wants the look. To each their own...
The following 5 users liked this post by ucf_bronco:
a35tl (06-01-2015), BDoggPrelude (05-28-2015), Drei (05-30-2015), ej6sliver (06-19-2015), manutd (06-26-2015)
Old 05-28-2015, 06:35 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ucf_bronco
Says the guy who spent probably two or three times that amount on air suspension to "turn heads". Potz calling the kettle black? How about the cost of those forged wheels? Granted there's a safety factor involved but my cast wheels are serving me just fine (along with many other members on AZ).

Does the jewel eyes look cool, yes! Would I spend that kind of money to get that look, no! I'm not gonna piss in someone's Cheerios though that has the money and wants the look. To each their own...
Old 05-29-2015, 11:14 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by ucf_bronco

forged lightweight wheels do make a difference, it would be an extremely complicated ROI calculation to determine the savings in fuel, parts (wheel bearings, braking components, drivetrain, engine loading, etc, etc) but in theory it is all there that would justify spending something more for lightweight forged, not to mention the safety factor which has a definitive value...
Old 05-29-2015, 12:48 PM
Drifting

Received 554 Likes on 387 Posts
I didn't realize there's also a weight savings when you go with forged over cast. I can only assume that's not always the case. I wasn't considering that factor in my analogy.

I can see the advantage to buying forged over cast, no doubt...but IMO that advantage generally isn't worth the price tag that can be two to three times the cost of cast wheels. If I had the money I'd rather spend it elsewhere. Again, to each their own. Keep in mind when I mention cast wheels I'm speaking towards higher quality cast wheels, not some low budget knockoffs that split in half when you hit a pothole.

My comment was really more geared towards the air setup. It's funny to me that someone can spend that kind of money on suspension yet call it stupid when someone else wants to spend a good chunk of change on a headlight conversion.
Old 05-30-2015, 01:35 AM
Pro

You're the man BDogg, I owe you a beer!
So you beat me to it huh? lol I hope it works out. I hope to be next I'll be checking in to see how it goes for you.
Old 05-30-2015, 09:55 PM
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 64 Posts
Good luck Pgr1990!

Don't listen to the negative comments!

I know if I had thousands of dollars to play with, I would also do the Jewel Eye conversion instead of "bagging" or making my rear wheels look retarded
Old 06-07-2015, 11:37 PM
Instructor

Well guys, car is in the shop right now getting the jewel eyes installed. I was quoted at $700, with the addition of the cost of the MDX jewels it will be totaling me $1100 soup to nuts.. Not a bad deal.

I will have some photos coming along and think I should probably just start a build page. Here is what I had done a couple days before I dropped the TL off for the Jewel eye conversion..

rear garnish painted 1

front grill painted 1

front grill painted 2

rear garnish painted 2

one of my MDX Jewel eye housings

Last edited by Pgr1990; 06-07-2015 at 11:39 PM.

Quick Reply: 4G Jewel Eye Conversion has been done?