Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

4G Headlight mod options?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2017, 03:45 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4G Headlight mod options?

I've been searching quite a bit and have not found much in the way of lighting mods without replacing the entire housing for $400+ each. I once stumbled upon clear or smoke side corder markers to replace the amber ones but I cannot even find those now. I think I'd be happy with compounding out the slight haze in my lenses and replacing the amber with clear/smoke and amber bulbs. Can anyone point me in the right direction for a good restoration kit/process and those clear/smoke pieces?
Old 04-23-2017, 12:23 AM
The Original Shawdy

Received 421 Likes on 344 Posts
For the clear reflectors:

clear headlight diffusers

2009-2014 Acura TL Clear Headlight Markers
Old 04-23-2017, 12:00 PM
Intermediate

Thank you carbonTSEX! One question regarding these, I've read about having to bake your housings in order to open them up yet I've also heard of people saying that these are very simple to install. I would not call a full removal, baking, separating installing and re-sealing a very simple process. Any pictures by chance?
Old 04-23-2017, 04:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 210 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Bigdogs
Thank you carbonTSEX! One question regarding these, I've read about having to bake your housings in order to open them up yet I've also heard of people saying that these are very simple to install. I would not call a full removal, baking, separating installing and re-sealing a very simple process. Any pictures by chance?
How do you intend on removing a orange reflector from within the headlight housing without opening the headlight housing?
Old 04-23-2017, 08:54 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan
How do you intend on removing a orange reflector from within the headlight housing without opening the headlight housing?
Obviously the housing would need to be opened. It's that some are saying they're an easy install which I would imagine being a few screws and/or clips. The process of a total removal, baking, cracking open, then re-sealing... Well, that does not sound so easy.
Old 04-24-2017, 08:24 AM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
any modifications to the headlights aside from tinting them/ changing the bulbs will require you to open them up. So depending on where you are, or if you're going to do it yourself, its either going to cost you a pretty penny, or its going to be a pain in the ass (especially if you don't reseal it properly)
Old 04-24-2017, 11:07 AM
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts
by https://www.flickr.com/photos/herbertlololol/, on Flickr
Old 05-03-2017, 06:55 PM
The inconvenient truth

Received 436 Likes on 322 Posts
Has anyone on here purchased and installed these? If so can you describe generally how hard/easy they were to install? I really like them and am considering getting them.
Old 05-03-2017, 09:55 PM
The Original Shawdy

Originally Posted by dopeboy1
Has anyone on here purchased and installed these? If so can you describe generally how hard/easy they were to install? I really like them and am considering getting them.
If you are mechanically inclined, you can do the swap no problem. You have to remove the headlights from the car. Take out all metal objects, screws, ballasts, bulb retainers, everythig. You don't want to put metal in the oven. Also don't forget to remove the headlight brackets.

While you are removing all the metal objects, it would be a good time to preheat your oven to 210 degrees F.

After the oven is preheated, place the headlight in the oven for 9 minutes.

Once they timer goes off, take the headlight out and you have to take apart the lens from the housing. This can be tricky but once you get one spot open, the rest should follow. (Try not to touch the inside of the lens, you do not want to use any chemicals to clean them).

From there you should be able to unscrew the reflectors and swap in the new one.

Put the lens back on and squeeze firmly, then place back into the oven for 9 minutes to heat up the glue. Once the timer goes off, pull it out and put the screws back in to help seal the lens. Gotta work quick to get the best seal and press around the edges. If you have small clamps, those would work great too. Once you have them sealed and cooled off, you can resamble everything else.

Repeat on other headlight.

It sounds harder than it is. The main thing is you want to reseal the lenses 100% or you most likely will get condensation. If this happens, you can rebake and try and seal it again. You do not need to take the lens off though.

Good Luck!
Old 05-03-2017, 11:24 PM
The inconvenient truth

Received 436 Likes on 322 Posts
Cool thanks for the info, sounds like a bit of effort but defiantly worth it and something I could do. I was also wondering, does the white lens make the turn signal blink white? Thinking about it because the orange lens probably makes the turn signal light match the lower signal lights and the ones on the mirrors.
Old 05-04-2017, 12:43 AM
The Original Shawdy

Behind the reflectors are just corner lights and not turn signals. The light behind the reflector is just a white halogen bulb. The turn signals will still blink orange unless you buy LED switchbacks which I have. When the switchbacks are on they are pure white and when the blinkers are activated, they flash orange which matches the mirrors. As you can see from the picture, my corner lights, switchbacks and DRL's are all matching 6k high outputLEDs except for the switchbacks which are V3 Tritons all sold by VLEDS.com. Without the LEDs, the corners will be that washed out white, Same color as the factor DRL's.

Name:  BFA17A0A-88B6-443A-B0C5-DD136976BB63.jpg
Views: 2708
Size:  122.7 KB

Last edited by carbonTSEX; 05-04-2017 at 12:47 AM.