Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

4G Firewall

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 09:35 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 244 Likes on 137 Posts
4G Firewall

Anyone tried pulling wires through the firewall yet? I see the hood latch takes an under the fender type route vs going around the other side of the shock tower. This might be a point to use, but not my first choice.

Looking at somewhere to cleanly grab power for an amplifier for the trunk.

Thanks!
Old 05-15-2010, 10:55 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Drill a hole trough the clutch pedal blank. It's an easy and clean route.
Old 05-15-2010, 11:53 AM
I am a bullet proof tiger

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
no need to drill a hole... You can access the fire wall threw the rubber grommet that is pretty much dead center on the drivers side firewall. It is kind of difficult to get to, but I was able to pull this rubber piece out. Then I took a screw diver and punctured through the insulation and was able to run my wiring through the grommet and into the drivers side footwell area.

Also this grommet is an empty grommet there are no other wires running through it.

Last edited by buckvegas; 05-15-2010 at 11:58 AM.
Old 04-29-2011, 02:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

Reviving this one

I finally am getting the itch to try this again and remembering why I didn't do it before; I don't see anywhere to go through the firewall cleanly, and drilling is out of the question.

There's a center cable feed that looks like it must come out right behind the navi screen where you could get wire through, but after poking a coathanger through and trying to determine where it comes out - you just can't see up in there well enough to get ahold of it, wherever it is.

Surely someone has done this by now and can share some insight / some pictures?
Old 04-29-2011, 04:46 PM

Received 1,020 Likes on 792 Posts
Originally Posted by buckvegas
no need to drill a hole... You can access the fire wall threw the rubber grommet that is pretty much dead center on the drivers side firewall. It is kind of difficult to get to, but I was able to pull this rubber piece out. Then I took a screw diver and punctured through the insulation and was able to run my wiring through the grommet and into the drivers side footwell area.

Also this grommet is an empty grommet there are no other wires running through it.

theres your answer... dont know why your asking again..
Old 04-29-2011, 10:16 PM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
^^^^^ Pictures would help.
The following users liked this post:
Brewster73 (08-03-2023)
Old 04-30-2011, 06:11 AM
Three Wheelin'

You don't just drill holes in $40,000 cars like it's some riced out civic...

If you turn the steering wheel all the way to the left, and jack the car up on the front left corner, you gain access to remove the fender well liner without having to take the wheel and tire off. It's 4 plastic locks and 4 screws to get it free and able to expose the driver side footwell.

The hood latch takes the path through this fenderwell, and provides a primo spot for running your power wire. The inside of the fender at the top allows a very clean pasthrough for your power wire, no hole drilling required. You can latch the power wire on to the hood latch cable for stability and noise / rattle / rub elimination as well.

Follow the hood latch cable.

Wire lays down nicely between airbox and battery.

Inside of fender well with power wire going through hood latch rubber boot, added sealer putty to ensure no leakage.

Clean, professional wiring. No hack job hole drilling.
The following users liked this post:
diamondmit (09-03-2013)
Old 09-03-2013, 09:13 PM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Thank you SO MUCH - that was easy, convenient and saved me so much time - very much appreciated. I wired some LED lights into the fusebox using a micro circuit tap....ran thru the wheel-well grommet and into the loom I created. After 3 failed attempts at finding an available accessory wire underhood, this was the perfect solution.

dd

Originally Posted by Pseudomaniac
If you turn the steering wheel all the way to the left, and jack the car up on the front left corner, you gain access to remove the fender well liner without having to take the wheel and tire off. It's 4 plastic locks and 4 screws to get it free and able to expose the driver side footwell.

The hood latch takes the path through this fenderwell, and provides a primo spot for running your power wire. The inside of the fender at the top allows a very clean pasthrough for your power wire, no hole drilling required. You can latch the power wire on to the hood latch cable for stability and noise / rattle / rub elimination as well.

Inside of fender well with power wire going through hood latch rubber boot, added sealer putty to ensure no leakage.

Old 01-18-2019, 11:37 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pseudomaniac

You sir are a life saver! Thanks a bunch!