Sponsored by: DashLynx

4G AWD TL 3 Year Update_ What a great Acura

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2016, 10:46 AM
CLS^6

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
4G AWD TL 3 Year Update_ What a great Acura

Hi all,
Just an update on my ownership experience thus far.

Background:
- Had a full bolt-on Acura CLS6 for 100,000 miles of bliss. Great car and was sad to have it written off by insurance company
- Bought a TL SH-AWD a few years ago. Have wanted to the TL SHAWD from the day it came out
- Car is a 2009 5 Speed Auto SH-AWD (I also have a 2001 Corvette C5 FRC 6MT..... and I think the modded J37 is more fun than the unmodded LS1... gasp!!!)
- From the day it came out to this very day, I am in love with the exterior/interior design and think it still competes with the best designs from any major OEM for a sedan body style

Current:
- Has 75,000 miles now, bought with 37,000 miles
- Mods: RV6 PCD, Comptech Icebox, K Tuner Tune, Stoptech rotors, Akebono pads

Thoughts:
I have to say that my fondness of the TL SHAWD grows as time passes. I am often scanning the market for a replacement car and I cannot bring myself to part with the TL for another car of equivalent price (say under $20k USD). The only car that I will likely buy after this TL is another 4G AWD TL in 6 Speed Manual which I am currently working on securing.

The transmission has been the source of a lot of negativity on this board but I must say I REALLY like the 5 speed auto. My biggest complaint is the ratio spacing and the need for a 6th gear (which 2012-2014 have). HOWEVER, the rev-matched downshifts into 1st gear make this transmission very very very fun. I think one of the best attributes of the 4G AWD TL is the combination of (Sport mode + traction control off). In this mode, you can literally work the rear differential especially in 1st gear situations blasting out of a tight turn.

In real world spirited driving (especially in non-dry conditions) I am not sure many cars could keep up WITH CONFIDENCE. This is the main reason I really like the TL.

Mods:
I experimented with different exhaust modifications and I believe that PCD alone on the stock AWD exhaust is the best balance of sound/performance/NVH-Control. With the 3rd cat intact, the fuel smell is minimal to non-existent. I will add though, PCD+Long Jpipe does let the car rev "harder" and hit the redline with more authority but I dont think the trade-offs of fuel smell and NVH loss is worth it.

The PCD+Icebox combo just sounds so right. It is right on the borderline of how aggressive an OEM would tune a car to sound and I think it just sounds like music to go up and down the rev range. There just isnt any sense the setup feels aftermarket.

Favourite Things:
- Interior layout and sight lines
- Exterior Design
- J37 motor character with mods mentioned
- AWD system performance
- Transmission smoothness and crispness (I drain and fill every 6 months... no 3x stuff... just 1x drain-fill every 6 months)
- 1st gear rev-matching

Dislikes:
- Lack of tighter ratio spread in transmission

If I sell the car, it will likely be to buy a 6 Speed Manual which I would like to do track days with so I would go much further with brake/tire/wheel upgrades.

All in all, this is a very solid car and I would recommend it to anyone. Hopefully this post is useful for others.
The following 7 users liked this post by suspekt360:
Anicra (10-28-2016), hadokenuh (10-31-2016), JT4 (11-01-2016), justnspace (10-28-2016), teh CL (10-30-2016), TheMuffinMan (10-30-2016), Tonyware (11-01-2016) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-28-2016, 12:31 PM
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts
Heck all the crap I have done is put on set of cheap ass snow tires and rims/ rigorous maintenance. Making me feel slacker and missing my old 85 Rx-7 GSL SE and 93 RX-7.
The snow tires rims may be craptastic - I am snow plowing tank of goodness and I still use the vent seats in the winter.
Great feedback
You have the love for the car as do many of us.
I personally wont trade my car for anything at the moment.
Old 10-30-2016, 08:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 210 Likes on 158 Posts
You know, the one thing I'd love to pick up is an Icebox intake.
Old 11-01-2016, 08:13 AM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Received 599 Likes on 454 Posts
Great write up... Bought mine new in 2011, was my oldest sons car for a while and now my middle son drives it. Will be 6 years in April, the biggest issue in that time has been the airbag recall.... Will probably keep it for a very long time....
Old 11-01-2016, 10:17 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,915 Likes on 14,457 Posts
It's funny but everyone talk shit about the 4G and I personally LOVE it and kinda always have.
Very nice to read the reviews and positive posts about it.
Old 11-01-2016, 04:20 PM
Account closed

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Every time they give me a new TLX at the dealer I am so glad I bought a 4G
Old 11-01-2016, 05:18 PM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Received 345 Likes on 253 Posts
"I am often scanning the market for a replacement car and I cannot bring myself to part with the TL for another car of equivalent price (say under $20k USD). "

OP: You echo my thoughts!!! Not sure I can find anything to match my TL. I may have to downsize or maybe look for a well treated 2012. Sadly quality in the premium category has gone down hill from A to Z, and I am not talking only about Acura.

PS. Ok to be fair, after 7 years and ~130k miles (and some hard Canadian winters), the driver's seat and center console armrest could use some refresh padding. The rest is just fine.
Old 11-01-2016, 08:27 PM

I wish I had stepped up to a 4G SHAWD instead of a 3G Type S...
maybe I would have kept it.
Old 11-03-2016, 12:43 AM
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by suspekt360
Hi all,

Background:
- Had a full bolt-on Acura CLS6 for 100,000 miles of bliss. Great car and was sad to have it written off by insurance company
- Bought a TL SH-AWD a few years ago. Have wanted to the TL SHAWD from the day it came out
- Car is a 2009 5 Speed Auto SH-AWD (I also have a 2001 Corvette C5 FRC 6MT..... and I think the modded J37 is more fun than the unmodded LS1... gasp!!!)
- From the day it came out to this very day, I am in love with the exterior/interior design and think it still competes with the best designs from any major OEM for a sedan body style

Current:

Thoughts:
I have to say that my fondness of the TL SHAWD grows as time passes. I am often scanning the market for a replacement car and I cannot bring myself to part with the TL for another car of equivalent price (say under $20k USD). The only car that I will likely buy after this TL is another 4G AWD TL in 6 Speed Manual which I am currently working on securing.

The transmission has been the source of a lot of negativity on this board but I must say I REALLY like the 5 speed auto. My biggest complaint is the ratio spacing and the need for a 6th gear (which 2012-2014 have). HOWEVER, the rev-matched downshifts into 1st gear make this transmission very very very fun. I think one of the best attributes of the 4G AWD TL is the combination of (Sport mode + traction control off). In this mode, you can literally work the rear differential especially in 1st gear situations blasting out of a tight turn.

In real world spirited driving (especially in non-dry conditions) I am not sure many cars could keep up WITH CONFIDENCE. This is the main reason I really like the TL.

Mods:
I experimented with different exhaust modifications and I believe that PCD alone on the stock AWD exhaust is the best balance of sound/performance/NVH-Control. With the 3rd cat intact, the fuel smell is minimal to non-existent. I will add though, PCD+Long Jpipe does let the car rev "harder" and hit the redline with more authority but I dont think the trade-offs of fuel smell and NVH loss is worth it.

The PCD+Icebox combo just sounds so right. It is right on the borderline of how aggressive an OEM would tune a car to sound and I think it just sounds like music to go up and down the rev range. There just isnt any sense the setup feels aftermarket.

Favourite Things:
- Exterior Design
- AWD system performance
- Transmission smoothness and crispness (I drain and fill every 6 months... no 3x stuff... just 1x drain-fill every 6 months)
- 1st gear rev-matching

Dislikes:

If I sell the car, it will likely be to buy a 6 Speed Manual which I would like to do track days with so I would go much further with brake/tire/wheel upgrades.

All in all, this is a very solid car and I would recommend it to anyone. Hopefully this post is useful for others.
6-speed if the life man the feel I just can't really compare it to anything. Will be keeping it until I could afford a Jaguar XJL-R Lololol.
Old 11-03-2016, 01:03 AM
UA9 SH-AWD

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
I'm pretty happy with my 4G SH-AWD, well I would really like to get some PCDs, but living in California I think an exhaust might be a better choice.
Old 11-03-2016, 07:39 AM

Where's your new thread, Sol?
Old 11-03-2016, 09:27 AM
UA9 SH-AWD

[QUOTE=rockstar143;15886592]Where's your new thread, Sol?[/QUOT

That did not cross my mind, but sure why not I should make my 4G TL thread
Old 11-15-2016, 04:13 PM
CLS^6

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by suspekt360
Hi all,

Background:

Current:

Thoughts:

Mods:

Favourite Things:
- Exterior Design
- AWD system performance
- 1st gear rev-matching

Dislikes:

Update:
My original post missed a few noteworthy mods that members might also be interested in.

1. TEIN Street Advance Coil-overs
I am going to sound like a mod happy fanboy, but this is a great upgrade. I was very skeptical and didnt want to mess with the stock suspension too much. However, I have to say the Street Advance are retain pretty much all of the OEM ride comfort but they are firmer without being harsh. I can see why some might feel they are a bit soft but I have to say that they are tuned (on almost full stiff setting) to not cross the line into harsh road impacts.
I would buy these again but would like it if maybe the spring rates were 10% stiffer... not much, just a tad but that is getting super picky as they provide very nice sense of control.

Somehow the AWD Chassis and the Coil-overs seem to go very well together.

2. Motorsport Tech 23mm spacers
I really didnt want to upgrade my wheels early on. I decided to push out all 4 corners 23mm and the stance is good. I bought them used and thats why they are 23mm.
If I was ordering new, I might try to run 27mm rear (slightest fender roll) and 25mm front.
However, before I do any mod, I will upgrade my tires when they wear out to 255/45/18 to see how much the extra 10mm cross-section fills out the wheel wells.
Its a good upgrade if you dont want to go all in on wheels. Note, no wheel bearings have failed "yet" in 25,000 miles of driving.
Old 11-24-2016, 11:21 AM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love the 4G and I have been looking for one for a long time. My youngest son just got his license so I passed my '15 Fit commuter to him and picked up a 2014 new/used TL on at the local Acura dealer with only 2800 miles. It is exactly what I have been looking for: black exterior, tan interior, SH-AWD, tech package, and it has the diamond cut 19" wheels. I purchased it a couple months ago and the only thing I have done is get the windows tinted. I am the 1st registered owner since because for some reason everyone wants the TLX with its horrible reliability. Their loss is my gain.

Not sure what Mods to do next. I'll probably have the piece of black plastic below the rear bumper painted to match the body soon. Not sure what to do after that.
Old 11-24-2016, 11:29 AM
UA9 SH-AWD

Welcome to the 4G family

Originally Posted by rennigade
I love the 4G and I have been looking for one for a long time. My youngest son just got his license so I passed my '15 Fit commuter to him and picked up a 2014 new/used TL on at the local Acura dealer with only 2800 miles. It is exactly what I have been looking for: black exterior, tan interior, SH-AWD, tech package, and it has the diamond cut 19" wheels. I purchased it a couple months ago and the only thing I have done is get the windows tinted. I am the 1st registered owner since because for some reason everyone wants the TLX with its horrible reliability. Their loss is my gain.

Not sure what Mods to do next. I'll probably have the piece of black plastic below the rear bumper painted to match the body soon. Not sure what to do after that.