2014 TL w/manual transmission - does it exist?

Old 10-10-2017, 11:34 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 TL w/manual transmission - does it exist?

Hi.

I typically buy cars new or nearly new, take good care of them and drive them for the life of the car...then donate them.
My current car, a 2005 Nissan Altima w/manual transmission, has just hit 306,792 miles. Its still running but I'm now in
the market for a new car. Yes, I'm the original owner.

I'm prefer manual transmissions. The shrinking availability of such in the USA has been an annoyance.
The further annoyance has been that of the remaining manual transmission vehicles many are 4 cylinder. I want 6.
Of the 6 cylinder cars - so far only the TL and the Audi S4 fit my desired profile. Cost of ownership on Audi
makes me hesitate there.

Thats where the Acura TL comes into play for me. The 2013 Acura TL definitely has my attention.
I know that it was produced in manual transmission and a used one fits my price range. I can find a number of these
for sale nationwide on the usual sites. Since I hold my cars for a long time I'd like to research the newest model that fits my profile.
Articles like this one from road and track indicate that the 2014 was also offered in manual.

2014 Acura TL SH-AWD 6MT - Drive Notes

However, I can't find a single one for sale with manual transmission. If I expand my search to the entire USA I get
one link - but the associated pictures indicate its actually an automatic.

So, what is it? People are so in love with their 2014 TLs with manual transmission that there isn't a single one available
in the USA for sale? It a bit of a stretch. Or its a ghost and none were made beyond a few prototypes that got review
tested for magazines like road and track? Also seems a stretch. If it was discontinued before mass production
I'd expect to find articles on that topic as well.

With the reduction in manual transmissions being purchased/produced I would get it if the cutoff year were 2016 or 17.
However, with 2014 I'd expect the 3 year cycle for people who do leases to be helping me out there....

Thank you for reading what I think should be a ridiculous question.
Old 10-11-2017, 07:46 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Yes, it does exist.

Last year of the "TL" and last year Acura mated a 6MT to a V6. Keep looking, I'm sure they will pop up.
The following users liked this post:
Pytheas (10-15-2017)
Old 10-11-2017, 11:32 AM
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 70 Posts
As I understand it, only the SH-AWD Tech version offered a 6MT. A relatively small % of buyers chose SH-AWD, and a smaller % of those buyers chose the 6MT.
Pytheas (10-15-2017)
Old 10-11-2017, 11:51 AM
Drifting

Received 849 Likes on 605 Posts
I wouldn't necessarily say a small % of buyers go for the SH-AWD. I see more of those than FWD around here. Granted, everyone in Utah seems to want an AWD vehicle because of snow. Nation wide the frequency of AWD might be less. But yes, the % of 6MT's out there is probably very low. I'm sure the numbers are available somewhere but I bet it's somewhere in the range of <5%.
Pytheas (10-15-2017)
Old 10-11-2017, 01:56 PM
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts
I think something like 1% of 4G TL's are manual.
Pytheas (10-15-2017)
Old 10-12-2017, 12:05 PM
Drifting

Received 563 Likes on 363 Posts
They are out there. I don't know the precise numbers for 2014, but overall, only about 3% of the 4G TLs (AWD only) came equipped with the 6MT for model years 2010-14. As you've found, they're hard to find and sought after, so they sell quickly if in decent shape. Keep looking, though. It's a fantastic car.
Pytheas (10-15-2017)
Old 10-14-2017, 08:05 AM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
SInce there's such a handfull of manual TLs, be ready to pay a slight premium. A few months of everyday serching did the trick for me. It was worth the search, the wait and the extra dollars! Patience is key

Happy hunting

Pytheas (10-15-2017)
Old 10-15-2017, 04:48 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you everyone for taking the time to reply. I'm continuing to keep an eye out for one and I've pinged a few dealerships in case they get one in trade.
I'll probably arrange a test drive on an automatic in the meanwhile. I don't intend to cave on getting the manual transmission, but it would be good to
confirm that I like the car beyond the manual transmission. Specs and pictures say a lot but not all.

From my ongoing research I understand that the 2013 and the 2014 are identical. My only purpose in pursuing the 2014 would be to obtain the
proportionally lower mileage on the newer year.
Old 10-15-2017, 07:24 AM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
Originally Posted by Pytheas
Thank you everyone for taking the time to reply. I'm continuing to keep an eye out for one and I've pinged a few dealerships in case they get one in trade.
I'll probably arrange a test drive on an automatic in the meanwhile. I don't intend to cave on getting the manual transmission, but it would be good to
confirm that I like the car beyond the manual transmission. Specs and pictures say a lot but not all.

From my ongoing research I understand that the 2013 and the 2014 are identical. My only purpose in pursuing the 2014 would be to obtain the
proportionally lower mileage on the newer year.
I strongly suspect the 4G TL is like the 3G TL in that the models with manual transmissions have a decidedly different feel when driven; thing like stiffer steering, stiffer suspension, and larger swaybars are the most noticeable. Said another way, if you drive a 4G with an automatic and decide the ride is too cushy, you may still really enjoy a 4G with a manual.
Old 10-15-2017, 12:38 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by horseshoez
I strongly suspect the 4G TL is like the 3G TL in that the models with manual transmissions have a decidedly different feel when driven; thing like stiffer steering, stiffer suspension, and larger swaybars are the most noticeable. Said another way, if you drive a 4G with an automatic and decide the ride is too cushy, you may still really enjoy a 4G with a manual.
I've never driven a SH-AWD 6MT or researched what differences there may be between the SH-AWD 6MT and the SH-AWD 6AT other than the transmission, but all those things you mention are some of the differences between the FWD and SH-AWD AT. It seems unlikely to me that Acura would have made even more changes for a model version that was unlikely to produce more than a small minority of sales.
Old 10-15-2017, 09:07 PM
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I test drove an auto elite/advance package tl awd before picking up my 6 speed manual. I found the ride harsher on the advance/elite with its 19 inch wheels vs the manual with its 18. The ventilated seats were nice, too bad they not available on the manual. Other than that, the creature comforts are similar. It would be worth trying the auto to see how you find it. The manual is a bit 'peppier'
Old 10-17-2017, 11:32 AM
Drifting

The 6MT version of the AWD 4G TL came with model specific suspension tuning, beefed up half shafts and engine/transmission mounts, model specific EPS steering, SH-AWD and stability control settings and it weighed a little less than the AT versions. It definitely drives differently, so the advice given above is correct. All interior amenities/design will be the same between a given year's AT and MT models so the AT will let you know whether you like the basic feel and features of the car, but the greasy (and electronic) parts are significantly different and hence the driving feel and capabilities will differ between AT and MT models. Good luck in your search.
horseshoez (10-17-2017)
Old 10-17-2017, 01:03 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by JM2010 SH-AWD
The 6MT version of the AWD 4G TL came with model specific suspension tuning, beefed up half shafts and engine/transmission mounts, model specific EPS steering, SH-AWD and stability control settings and it weighed a little less than the AT versions. It definitely drives differently, so the advice given above is correct. All interior amenities/design will be the same between a given year's AT and MT models so the AT will let you know whether you like the basic feel and features of the car, but the greasy (and electronic) parts are significantly different and hence the driving feel and capabilities will differ between AT and MT models. Good luck in your search.
Well I stand corrected. Sure enough, the part numbers for the half shafts are different for the AWD AT & the AWD MT, as well as the engine mounts.
Old 10-17-2017, 01:22 PM
Latent car nut

Originally Posted by dregsfan
Well I stand corrected. Sure enough, the part numbers for the half shafts are different for the AWD AT & the AWD MT, as well as the engine mounts.
Yeah, kind of as I suspected based upon how Acura did the 3G 6MT which also had different steering gear, spring rates, shock valving, and thicker swaybars.
Old 10-17-2017, 06:58 PM
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 23 Posts
I am going to start modding my TL for track days and have been all up under there looking at things. I’ll have to look at the half shafts and engine mounts next time I’m under there. I will definitely need a new suspension as mine is getting a bit tired at 50K miles and wouldn’t hold up to laps. It’ll also need some big new rotors and proper brakes before I hit the track. I’ve dreamed of the 6 manual speed TL for a long time - I just couldn’t find the right car when I bought mine and ended up with the auto. I still have stick envy.
Old 10-17-2017, 07:30 PM
Latent car nut

Originally Posted by WNY PAT
I am going to start modding my TL for track days and have been all up under there looking at things. I’ll have to look at the half shafts and engine mounts next time I’m under there. I will definitely need a new suspension as mine is getting a bit tired at 50K miles and wouldn’t hold up to laps. It’ll also need some big new rotors and proper brakes before I hit the track. I’ve dreamed of the 6 manual speed TL for a long time - I just couldn’t find the right car when I bought mine and ended up with the auto. I still have stick envy.
No offense, but ain't no way I'd track a TL, stick or automatic; I'd much rather keep my TL nice and buy a track rat like a Miata, Civic, Golf, whatever.
Old 10-18-2017, 05:11 PM
Drifting

I wouldn't mind trying a few laps in mine just to see the extent of its capabilities, but I'd stop before trashing my rotors, tires, etc. Obviously, they are not made for extended track usage (unlike say, a Type R).
Old 10-19-2017, 06:55 PM
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My experience with my 2010 TL SH-AWD 6MT is that I couldn't haggle nearly as much as I wanted on price because everyone knew they were the hens teeth of 4th gen TL's. The ride is really great and it's one of the best feeling transmissions I've had of the 5 manual transmission cars I've had (and I'm only 35).

And remember, manual transmission is essentially a theft deterrent probably better than any alarm - totally worth the cost.
The following 2 users liked this post by Arnabio:
JM2010 SH-AWD (10-20-2017), MimiHere (01-20-2024)
Old 10-19-2017, 08:06 PM
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by horseshoez
No offense, but ain't no way I'd track a TL, stick or automatic; I'd much rather keep my TL nice and buy a track rat like a Miata, Civic, Golf, whatever.
No offense taken, to each their own. The SH-AWD TL, with mid range aftermarket struts and properly tuned shocks, coupled with good rotors and pads and some really sticky summer rubber would (I think) rock at the track. I think I’d put a booster in the back seat if they let me just for fun. Lol. I know it wouldn’t be the fastest car out there, but in the right conditions, I think it’s be a fun car that could pull off double duty as a track and (in a pinch) a family car. I mean I wouldn’t go so far as to put a roll cage or 5 point harnesses in..... yet. Lol

Search this Thread