4G TL (2009-2014)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2014 Acura TL SH-AWD - Check Power Steering System?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2018, 06:53 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2014 Acura TL SH-AWD - Check Power Steering System?

Hi everyone,

I have a 2014 Acura TL SH-AWD with less than 78,000km (less than 49k miles) on it (still under warranty for another 2000km). This past weekend, as I was arriving home, suddenly the message "CHECK POWER STEERING SYSTEM" started flashing and it felt like my car was shaking, and I couldn't move the steering wheel. After a few minutes of fighting to try to at least move my car out of the way as I was in the alley, and after trying to turn off the car (it didn't work - it kept flashing), it suddenly started working again. I wasn't sure what happened, so I tried to take it around the block to see if maybe the problem went away, and it happened again; I couldn't even move it enough to be able to pull over this time. Again, it stopped after a few minutes.

This was on Saturday, and on Monday I called the dealership and had it towed in as I didn't feel it would be safe to make the 20-minute drive to the dealership since both occurrences happened without any warning and after only a few minutes of driving. Today, they called me back saying that they could not replicate the problem. I had a previous issue with the airbag sensor where "CHECK AIRBAG SYSTEM" would go off when I drove sometimes - they couldn't replicate the problem and I had to take the car in several times and it was only fixed after it started happening every day. With a quick search this appears to be a common problem involving the EPS (I've read the other threads but it doesn't seem like this has happened where it's still under warranty or where the dealership has said they can't replicate the problem). It seems like it could be a major issue, and it seems like they won't take a look at it unless they can replicate the problem, but I feel like that approach could be very dangerous for me if it happens again, since I do a lot of driving throughout the city and I'm usually alone and don't have anyone to call if I get stranded somewhere or if something happens; or if it happens in winter when there is a giant snow storm (which happens pretty frequently in Alberta). Or if it happens again when the warranty ends in 2000km, I'm worried about paying a huge amount for a problem that existed before the warranty ended...

I'm at a loss as to what I should do. Could anyone please give me some advice? Any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 05-29-2018, 11:35 PM
Pro

Received 102 Likes on 78 Posts
Call Acura Customer Solutions and tell them your issues with the car. They should be able to help you and tell you what’s covered under warranty. Always speak to the service manager when dealing with dealerships. I had a problem with my transmission filter and Acura took care of it very well and professional. Try to sign up for triple A, you never know when you could end up stranded. It’s only $50 a year I think.
Old 05-29-2018, 11:48 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you so much for the advice. I’ll call them first thing in the morning.
The last time I had a problem with the airbag sensor, the service manager wouldn’t let the employees drive me home (I don’t remember why their shuttle wasn’t running) and said I had to just wait and I sat in the dealership for 4 hours so I don’t have too much confidence in speaking with him unfortunately... I just can’t believe this is happening, having bought this car new and having owned it for under 4 years. There is still Roadside Assistance coverage on it until the end of this year but the fact that I tried for basically a total of 9 hours yesterday before someone could tow my car to the dealership also makes me a little worried because sometimes I drive really late at night.
Anyway, thank you so much for your help; I really appreciate it.
Old 05-29-2018, 11:54 PM
Pro

Received 102 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by michelle_
Thank you so much for the advice. I’ll call them first thing in the morning.
The last time I had a problem with the airbag sensor, the service manager wouldn’t let the employees drive me home (I don’t remember why their shuttle wasn’t running) and said I had to just wait and I sat in the dealership for 4 hours so I don’t have too much confidence in speaking with him unfortunately... I just can’t believe this is happening, having bought this car new and having owned it for under 4 years. There is still Roadside Assistance coverage on it until the end of this year but the fact that I tried for basically a total of 9 hours yesterday before someone could tow my car to the dealership also makes me a little worried because sometimes I drive really late at night.
Anyway, thank you so much for your help; I really appreciate it.
Gotta love how certain dealerships handle situations. Probably better off going somewhere else if you aren’t being treated with respect and them understanding your needs as a customer. Stuff happens trust me. I would’ve never had expected my 2013 Acura TL to have a clogged up transmission filter after changing the fluid for the very first time. +1 (800) 382-2238‬ is Acura Corps number. You’re welcome!