4G TL (2009-2014)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2013 Base TL - FWD 3.5L - Should I Buy? Oil Issues?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 10:31 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 Base TL - FWD 3.5L - Should I Buy? Oil Issues?

Hi Guys,

This is my first post. I don't own an Acura yet but I might soon! Nice to meet you all.

I am interested in an 2013 Acura TL for sale by private owner. It's the base model (no packages) 3.5L FWD.

I read a lot online about the infamous excessive oil consumption issue (lawsuit, etc). Does this issue ONLY apply to the 3.7 SH-AWD models or also the 3.5L FWD models? From what I read, it seems to only affect the 3.7's? I believe the engines are different in both models (aluminum vs iron block, or something)?

I hope the 3.5L was not affected by the issue. Can anyone confirm?

He is asking $17,500 and the car has 33,000 miles. I'm thinking to offer $15000 cash and take it from there. The car is black with tan interior.

1) What do you guys think about the car overall? Any complaints? How is the power?
2) Do I lose anything major by getting the "base" model vs technology package, etc.?
2) How does the price look to you?

I know a lot of what I asked is "opinion", but I appreciate any input/advice.

Thank you.
Old 04-06-2017, 11:42 PM
Cruisin'

Forgot to add that being a NY'er, AWD makes sense but I would rather save some money and get more reliability with the FWD.

I do like cars with good acceleration. Is the acceleration on the AWD MUCH better than the FWD or just a tad? I'm talking straight line 0-60 not cornering or handling.
Old 04-07-2017, 09:23 AM
Cruisin'

Anyone? I am taking a look at the car today. Sorry for short notice lol
Old 04-07-2017, 09:56 AM
But I just got here

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts
Only the 3.7s have the issue with oil burning so you will be fine with the 3.5. As for technology package, I have it and love the whole keyless entry and operation part of it. I basically lock my house door in the morning and then never need to take my keys out of my pocket again until I get back home at night. There will probably be some interior rattles here and there but it shouldn't be a major enough issue to make you stay away from the car. I figured I would respond with at least this much since you needed a response fast, LOL. I hope that helps some.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:00 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Nitin
Only the 3.7s have the issue with oil burning so you will be fine with the 3.5. As for technology package, I have it and love the whole keyless entry and operation part of it. I basically lock my house door in the morning and then never need to take my keys out of my pocket again until I get back home at night. There will probably be some interior rattles here and there but it shouldn't be a major enough issue to make you stay away from the car. I figured I would respond with at least this much since you needed a response fast, LOL. I hope that helps some.
any input helps lol..so no oil issues with the 3.5, which is good...I guess I can live without the tech package although I like the bells and whistles coming with it ..
Old 04-07-2017, 10:11 AM
But I just got here

But if it helps, I bought a 2001 Acura CL Type S brand new in 2001 and then drove it until 2015. Then I bought a 2012 Acura TL SH-AWD and have been driving that for almost 2 years now. So basically I really like Acuras, haha. I didn't want to get the TLX as that was just too small for me even though it's a 4 door.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:29 AM
Cruisin'

But if it helps, I bought a 2001 Acura CL Type S brand new in 2001 and then drove it until 2015. Then I bought a 2012 Acura TL SH-AWD and have been driving that for almost 2 years now. So basically I really like Acuras, haha. I didn't want to get the TLX as that was just too small for me even though it's a 4 door.
this would be my first Acura but I have had several Hondas ..bullet proof..do u also have that oil issue??
Old 04-07-2017, 10:32 AM
But I just got here

Originally Posted by g4acura
this would be my first Acura but I have had several Hondas ..bullet proof..do u also have that oil issue??
I haven't had any oil issues so far, I guess I'm lucky. Same thing with the propeller shaft, no problems with that so far either. The only problem I've had to get fixed in the 2 years was a headliner rattle which was a known issue and had a TSB. My glovebox is rattling now but I'll worry about that later.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:36 AM
Cruisin'

I haven't had any oil issues so far, I guess I'm lucky. Same thing with the propeller shaft, no problems with that so far either. The only problem I've had to get fixed in the 2 years was a headliner rattle which was a known issue and had a TSB. My glovebox is rattling now but I'll worry about that later.
cool I'll keep my ears open on the test drive
Old 04-07-2017, 11:38 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts
I would really recommend the tech package. Navi is minor but nicer leather, keyless entry, ELS sound, spoiler (completes the car rear) are all worth the extra.

No oil issue on the 3.5.

$15K for a clean base with low mileage is good deal in my area. Tires and brakes condition also need to be factored into price. Not sure about your area. You'll have to get some comps yourself. More than that, I'd get a Tech.
Old 04-07-2017, 11:58 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by hadokenuh
I would really recommend the tech package. Navi is minor but nicer leather, keyless entry, ELS sound, spoiler (completes the car rear) are all worth the extra.

No oil issue on the 3.5.

$15K for a clean base with low mileage is good deal in my area. Tires and brakes condition also need to be factored into price. Not sure about your area. You'll have to get some comps yourself. More than that, I'd get a Tech.
i agree, the lack of tech package is playing with my head right now ..I think a backup camera also comes with it right? ..although not a big deal

the upside with this car is private owner, looks to be in excellent condition, low mileage ..

believe it or not finding "clean" cars with clean histories in ny is a battle in itself ..

i might think about this another day ..he is asking 17,500..kbb very good value is 16,300

hmm..
Old 04-07-2017, 01:15 PM
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by hadokenuh

No oil issue on the 3.5.

Yeah, I agree with everything you said.

The rear spoiler makes such a big difference, it's not even funny. Also, heated seats, come with the tech package - not too big of a deal, for me. Back camera is important with this car, IMO, because it's fairly difficult to see out of the back. And the ELS system is nice! So nice, that it would really suck not to have it.

So, as far as basic transportation, the 3.5 FWD TL, six-speed auto, is hard to beat. As far as safety/(not) getting killed in the damn thing, it's one of the best cars out there. The only thing, that I can think of, that you have to keep an eye on, is the torque converter. Keep the trans fluid clean, change the filter, when it gurgles, and you have one of the most durable cars on the road. It's hard to imagine the car not going 300k, if you take care of it.

Since I've done so much research on the 4G TL, I thought about getting a FWD, tech, for my son. But, he's such an idiot, lol, I'm going to make him walk.

As far as MPG, I don't see any reason you can't get 30+, on the highway. If you drive, like an old man, in the city, I bet you can get about 22+ MPG. With my SH-AWD, I can get 21 MPG, in the city, if I drive it like an old lady. But, it's a lot of fun to drive, so... 26 to 28, is what I can get, on the highway.

Good luck, M8!
Old 04-07-2017, 01:39 PM
5th Gear

Hello everyone, New member here.

I would recommend the tech package as well. Purchased a used 2013 TL SH-AWD Elite model about 2 weeks ago (I am in Canada, i think in the US the elite is called advance package, not sure). So far loving it, haven't had any issues. The ELS sound system is really great, i usually end up upgrading the sound systems in my cars but with this car i won't touch it. Don't really care about the navigation but the rear camera is nice to have. I test drove all three models 3.5 FWD, 3.5 AWD tech pack, and 3.7 Elite (advance) AWD. Ended up getting the Elite.

If you really don't care about the tech stuff in the car, then the base model is really good, but once you have all the goodies and hear the ELS system. It was worth spending few thousand extra for me to get these additional features.

Good luck.
Old 04-07-2017, 03:53 PM
Cruisin'

You guys are making it hard to buy this car without a tech package - ha ha. Out of all the bells n whistles with the tech, the upgraded audio matters to me the most.

If the audio upgrade is worth it, I'll wait for tech package. The rear spoiler I could have added on later anyway.

Being in NY, AWD would have been a good thing, but I don't want the hassles of oil consumption, etc.

Boy, I would never accept a car from my parents. But you are a great dad even if you offer a card to your kids.

Just some background, I'm coming from a 2010 Mercedes E550 w/ Renntech. The car was too much of a hassle for me, so I let it go.
Old 04-07-2017, 05:14 PM
Instructor

With 33k on it, it sounds like a great car. If it was taken care of, it has lots of life left.

You don't need the things that we're pointing out, they're just nice to have. If this car suits your needs, buy it.

As you say, the rear spoiler can be added later. If you're okay with it, the way it looks without it, you don't need to worry about that, either. The car that you're looking at, is essentially equipped the way my wife's car is equipped - she has a Kia Optima. And, to be honest, she loves the crap out of it. It sounds like a perfect car for you.

With regards to my dumb-son, he's 15.5 years old. If my wife and I don't help him out, he'll get lost while found. It's a strange situation - these kids, nowadays, are ridiculously immature. It's beyond pathetic.

Go buy the car, toss up some pictures, and we'll have a beer to celebrate! And, this car should be relatively cheap to own/operate.

So, go get it!

Last edited by Beak14; 04-07-2017 at 05:20 PM.
Old 04-07-2017, 05:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 649 Likes on 349 Posts
Base anything is boring. Spend on the Tech Package. Power on the 3.5 is good ao you don't need 3.7 if its not a necessity. But being from jersey i would recommend you look for a SHAWD.
Old 04-07-2017, 05:25 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Beak14
With 33k on it, it sounds like a great car. If it was taken care of, it has lots of life left.

You don't need the things that we're pointing out, they're just nice to have. If this car suits your needs, buy it.

As you say, the rear spoiler can be added later. If you're okay with it, the way it looks without it, you don't need to worry about that, either. The car that you're looking at, is essentially equipped the way my wife's car is equipped - she has a Kia Optima. And, to be honest, she loves the crap out of it. It sounds like a perfect car for you.

With regards to my dumb-son, he's 15.5 years old. If my wife and I don't help him out, he'll get lost while found. It's a strange situation - these kids, nowadays, are ridiculously immature. It's beyond pathetic.

Go buy the car, toss up some pictures, and we'll have a beer to celebrate! And, this car should be relatively cheap to own/operate.

So, go get it!

Your comment on your son cracked me up. I am mid 30's and aside from the corolla wagon my dad let me "borrow" back in my senior year in HS, I have purchased all other cars with my own hard earned money. Kids these days!!
Old 04-07-2017, 05:31 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by GhostTL09
Base anything is boring. Spend on the Tech Package. Power on the 3.5 is good ao you don't need 3.7 if its not a necessity. But being from jersey i would recommend you look for a SHAWD.
But, what about the infamous oil issue? I mean there's even a lawsuit. With my "luck", I'll get the one with the issues - lol. I'm glad the power is still good on the 3.5.

Of course, if you ask me, do I want the tech package? Hell yes, but that also equates to $3100. I will have to give this some further thought for sure.

I hate the condition of NY cars. Every time I go see a car, it needs cosmetic reconditioning which the dealer obviously does not want to do.
Old 04-07-2017, 06:39 PM
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
I have a 2012 Tech Advance model 3.5L with 97,500 and only issue was converter and airbag replacement, both covered. This car has been extremely reliable for me. I absolutely will keep it until the wheels fall off. I love mine! Its been rock solid all the way around. The MPG is decent, power is adequate iMO, and interior is nice. The Nav interface is a bit out dated IMO- but is still a nice addition. I would get a tech, or an advance if you can find it. I love the blonde spot monitoring in it.

Last edited by GYac; 04-07-2017 at 06:41 PM.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:30 PM
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by GYac
I have a 2012 Tech Advance model 3.5L with 97,500 and only issue was converter and airbag replacement, both covered. This car has been extremely reliable for me. I absolutely will keep it until the wheels fall off. I love mine! Its been rock solid all the way around. The MPG is decent, power is adequate iMO, and interior is nice. The Nav interface is a bit out dated IMO- but is still a nice addition. I would get a tech, or an advance if you can find it. I love the blonde spot monitoring in it.
If I'd known the Advance could spot blondes I'd have looked for one of those instead of the Tech.
Old 04-08-2017, 12:26 AM
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by dregsfan
If I'd known the Advance could spot blondes I'd have looked for one of those instead of the Tech.
By far my favorite feature in my car. Lol.

Jk aside, having the fwd version before I am so happy I upgraded to the Sh-awd. If I were looking for a fwd I would go for an Accord sport.
Old 04-08-2017, 11:20 AM
Three Wheelin'

What is your search radius? To be honest you can find a great FWD w/Tech/Advance for that amount 1 owner if you do a broader search. I do national searches for my vehicles. I only however, buy from a reputable ( I pray) certified dealer just for a bit more peace of mind. I don't buy from Joes Crab Shack Auto Emporium. LOL. Dealers are giving away 4G TL's. You can find 12' or 13' SHAWD Advance for $21 - $23k with 35k miles on them these days. You can find 13' FWD Advance for $17 - 18k. They're out there. It's due to the air bag issues and replacement and with many people trading in those vehicles because of the scare dealer lots became inundated, so you may want to ensure it has been done when buying private party. Do a national search and see what turns up just for kicks and giggles.
Old 04-08-2017, 08:01 PM
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by dregsfan
Touche

Proof read your post's folks haha.....However, I may like it better with that option though....
Old 04-10-2017, 01:29 PM
Cruisin'

I'm looking at 2012 FWD with tech package

whats the big deal about the airbag recall? Will these be repaired free of charge even if the car is under warranty?

Im not sure why that would scare people..
Old 04-10-2017, 05:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts

whats the big deal about the airbag recall? Will these be repaired free of charge even if the car is under warranty?

It will be repaired free of charge even if the car is out of warranty.

The deaths caused by the defect airbags are very scary if you look at the pictures and could happen in very minor accidents.

But you're in NY, you should be fine. Go with the Tech
Old 04-10-2017, 07:52 PM
Instructor

It's the inflator that could, possibly, kill you. Chances of it killing you, in a 2012 TL, slim!

It's the inflator that has been recalled, not the airbag, AFAIK. Shrapnel from inflators, that have blown apart, have caused eye damage, and been a bit rough on the neck. Well, a lot bit rough on the neck, if you know what I mean?

No, go out and get a car, already, sheesh!

Spellcheck doesn't like a lot of my words, dag-nab-it. Oh well, screw spellcheck, I'm going rouge.

Last edited by Beak14; 04-10-2017 at 07:57 PM.
Old 04-12-2017, 06:58 AM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

I am more of a burnette kinda guy, if it spotted those......I'd sell my car now and get that package!
Old 04-19-2017, 03:55 PM
3rd Gear

Hi guys, I just purchased a 2012 TL SH-AWD Tech pack with 65k on it. First thing I heard driving off the lot was the whistle noise (probably the prop shaft ). Other than that, it's been an amazing car so far coming from driving an Infiniti G35x. Much roomier and quieter.

On a side note, is it critical to fix the prop shaft or it can wait? Thanks.
Old 04-20-2017, 11:07 AM
Three Wheelin'

They prop shaft is covered under extended warranty. Go get it replaced