2013 Acura TL - FWD vs AWD ($2.8k premium)?

Old 07-25-2017, 12:24 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 Acura TL - FWD vs AWD ($2.8k premium)?

So I'm not an driving enthusiast..I don't go crazy around corners or speed past 80 mph. I just want a nice, comfortable, reliable, luxury sedan that I can take to work and do longer road trips with. With that said, I've narrowed my search down to the 2013-2014 Acura TL w/ Tech CPO.

I've found a 2013 Acura TL (from Acura dealerships) in FWD and AWD. Is the $2.8k premium for AWD drive worth it for me? Will I notice the difference if I'm not an enthusiast? 80% of the time just driving to work (highways around DC).

I really was hoping to spend no more than $20k all in...so ideally, wanted a car for $18.5k (max) + $1.5k (taxes, processing, title, etc). That said, I plan to keep this car for many years..at least 8+..so don't mind spending a little more money if its 100% worth it. Lastly, my wife has a AWD Lexus SUV (for context).

2013 Acura TL Tech (FWD) -- $17,200 (black)
Mileage: 57k
Carfax: Clean record, 20 service records, 1 owner (local trade - bought and sold back to the same dealer)

2013 Acura TL Tech (AWD) -- $20,000 (silver)
Mileage: 62k
Carfax: Clean, 19 service records, though it has 1 open recall. 1 owners..personal lease and then bought the car after leasing for 2.5 years. Sold it a few months after. So it shows up as 2 owners on Carfax.

Thoughts?
Old 07-25-2017, 12:31 PM
Drifting

Received 849 Likes on 605 Posts
There are numerous threads about the comparison between the two:

https://acurazine.com/forums/fourth-...ould-i-959977/

https://acurazine.com/forums/fourth-...please-960300/

https://acurazine.com/forums/fourth-.../worth-960374/

There are a few to get you started.

Based on your performance and comfort preferances, I'd just opt for the FWD. I'm more of a spirited driver and I'm more than happy with the FWD. However, if you live in an area with a lot of snow and ice in the winters, you may want to opt for the SH-AWD. I personally don't feel the need for AWD in the snow but I've been driving in it my whole life and strongly believe traction is much more critical in snow than drivetrain. Good luck with your search.
Old 07-25-2017, 12:32 PM
10th Gear

Some other things to note:

- Do AWD have more issues? breakdowns, maintenance, complex repairs, etc?
- The only other car I was thinking to consider was 2013 Infiniti G37..though they seem less "comfrtable luxury" and more "sport's luxury" with less room...any input on how this car compares would be good info for me.

Thanks!
Old 07-25-2017, 12:32 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by losiglow
There are numerous threads about the comparison between the two:

https://acurazine.com/forums/fourth-...ould-i-959977/

https://acurazine.com/forums/fourth-...please-960300/

https://acurazine.com/forums/fourth-.../worth-960374/

There are a few to get you started.

Based on your performance and comfort preferances, I'd just opt for the FWD. I'm more of a spirited driver and I'm more than happy with the FWD. However, if you live in an area with a lot of snow and ice in the winters, you may want to opt for the SH-AWD. I personally don't feel the need for AWD in the snow but I've been driving in it my whole life and strongly believe traction is much more critical in snow than drivetrain. Good luck with your search.
Thank you! Will take a look.
Old 07-25-2017, 12:53 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by malikq86

- Do AWD have more issues? breakdowns, maintenance, complex repairs, etc?
There's a good amount of info on this in those threads. Look for the 3.7L oil consumption issue (minor IMO) and the potential propeller shaft replacement. Neither are necessarily deal killers. Just something to factor in.
Old 07-25-2017, 05:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts
So I'm not an driving enthusiast..I don't go crazy around corners or speed past 80 mph. I just want a nice, comfortable, reliable, luxury sedan that I can take to work and do longer road trips with. With that said, I've narrowed my search down to the 2013-2014 Acura TL w/ Tech CPO.
Get the FWD.
The following users liked this post:
a35tl (07-25-2017)
Old 07-25-2017, 06:39 PM
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts
I owned a '09 fwd tech before switching to my '12 sh-awd advance and I am so happy with my decision, I live in Montgomery County MD and we get a good amount of snow during the winter months, sh-awd will not let you down. The 4G fwd is nice and feels a little faster (is lighter), it also requires less maintenance but to me the SH-AWD is in a different league, it feels like a true luxury car. The sh-awd will required some more maintenance, the rear differential and transfer case fluids will need some service, some owners are having issues with oil consumption and failing propeller shafts but is not a biggie. IMHO the whole point of the 4G is the sh-awd drivetrain, otherwise you can get a more modern, inexpensive, as nice or better car like a v6 Accord.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:28 PM
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts

I've found a 2013 Acura TL (from Acura dealerships) in FWD and AWD. Is the $2.8k premium for AWD drive worth it for me? Will I notice the difference if I'm not an enthusiast? 80% of the time just driving to work (highways around DC).

I really was hoping to spend no more than $20k all in...so ideally, wanted a car for $18.5k (max) + $1.5k (taxes, processing, title, etc). That said, I plan to keep this car for many years..at least 8+..so don't mind spending a little more money if its 100% worth it. Lastly, my wife has a AWD Lexus SUV (for context).

2013 Acura TL Tech (FWD) -- $17,200 (black)
Mileage: 57k
Carfax: Clean record, 20 service records, 1 owner (local trade - bought and sold back to the same dealer)

2013 Acura TL Tech (AWD) -- $20,000 (silver)
Mileage: 62k
Carfax: Clean, 19 service records, though it has 1 open recall. 1 owners..personal lease and then bought the car after leasing for 2.5 years. Sold it a few months after. So it shows up as 2 owners on Carfax.

Thoughts?
Location plays a role in some cases.. and I suggest you test drive both along with the Accord V6 Touring. If you do long road trips or commute long dailies then FWD with the Navi aint bad. But then again so aint the v6 touring accord.
Old 07-26-2017, 09:43 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by CruzanTLSH-AWD
Location plays a role in some cases.. and I suggest you test drive both along with the Accord V6 Touring. If you do long road trips or commute long dailies then FWD with the Navi aint bad. But then again so aint the v6 touring accord.
Do you really think a Accord V6 Touring can compete with an Acura TL? I mean in a $17k price range...I'm not sure what you can get from an Accord V6 touring...but what features do you think will be better than an Acura TL in teh same price range? Just wondering.
Old 07-26-2017, 09:48 AM
10th Gear

Side note: the 2014 Honda Accord Touring Sedans..seem to be just as expensive (in some cases more) than the TL. Also there seems to be less of them on Autotrader..unless dealers are just listing them as "Honda Accord" and not uncluding the "Touring" Trim to the filter...
Old 07-26-2017, 09:51 AM
10th Gear

I can only find 2 used Touring within 50 miles, under $20k, with less then 75k miles...both are 2014 models..1 is selling for $18k and the other is sellin gfor $20k...I don't get how these are more expensive than a 2013 Acura TL w/ Tech....maybe someone can explain.
Old 07-26-2017, 09:54 AM
Drifting

Do you really think a Accord V6 Touring can compete with an Acura TL? I mean in a $17k price range...I'm not sure what you can get from an Accord V6 touring...but what features do you think will be better than an Acura TL in teh same price range? Just wondering.
I personally think not. My parents have the '16 V6 Touring and while it's a very nice car, and has some tech advances over the TL, it falls short of what I enjoy in the TL. The TL seems to seat the driver like more of a cockpit than the Accord. The stereo is superior in the TL which is a biggie for me. The Accord has a touchscreen interface, which is the future of the infotainment system but I personally like the analog controls of the TL. I know I should embrace the future but I'll enjoy the last of the "buttons" interface while I can Also, there are a few techie gadgets which bug me. When I purchase a new car, I'll be looking for the option to turn them off. Adaptive cruise control and blind spot monitoring specifically. They bug me.
Old 07-26-2017, 09:56 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by losiglow
I personally think not. My parents have the '16 V6 Touring and while it's a very nice car, and has some tech advances over the TL, it falls short of what I enjoy in the TL. The TL seems to seat the driver like more of a cockpit than the Accord. The stereo is superior in the TL which is a biggie for me. The Accord has a touchscreen interface, which is the future of the infotainment system but I personally like the analog controls of the TL. I know I should embrace the future but I'll enjoy the last of the "buttons" interface while I can Also, there are a few techie gadgets which bug me. When I purchase a new car, I'll be looking for the option to turn them off. Adaptive cruise control and blind spot monitoring specifically. They bug me.
I would also imagine that the TL just has much more of a luxury/sophisticated interior overall. Likewise, I believe the driving performance would be overall better as well. Though, yes a little less mpg.
Old 07-26-2017, 11:55 AM
Drifting

I would also imagine that the TL just has much more of a luxury/sophisticated interior overall. Likewise, I believe the driving performance would be overall better as well. Though, yes a little less mpg.
True on both accounts. I've owned two Accords in the past and have been very happy with them. But I still believe Honda does a good job of separating the Honda and Acura brands. It's quite apparent when driving the two, especially back to back. I'm not sure exactly how they do it since drivetrains and features are so similar. But they somehow manage to do it.
Old 07-26-2017, 02:17 PM
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
I have a 2015 Touring my wife drives and I have a 2011 6 speed Tl. My Daughters god father has the 2017 V6 Touring as well. IMO the 9th gen Accords 2013 and up V6 are basically as refine and the FWD TL. One of the best feature I like is the signal cameras.... Better Headlights, and if it's a concern for you better MPG. There is a few treads on here comparing the V6 Touring to the FWD TL and the TLX. And as for interior idk about that aint to far apart.. I'm 6'2 about 290 and I'm more planted in the Accord seat than the Tl. The downside to the touring is it has no 6 speed or paddle shifter. But the Sports mode is BOSS. Hit youtube up... see how them accord guys breaking hearts on the street in terms of performance. Not a car to sleep on.
The following users liked this post:
malibuflavor (08-17-2017)

Search this Thread