Sponsored by: DashLynx

2012 TL transmission fluid change dipstick

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2017, 06:08 PM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
2012 TL transmission fluid change dipstick

Hi,
Today just have done the oil change and 1x transmission fluid drain and refill.
This time is lazy to unscrew the refill hole instead of refilling through the dipstick hole for 4 quarts(4 quarts out)
1. wondering if that is the good practice to refill through the dipstick hole, is there any bad for the tranny down the road right after work done?
2. after drain and refill, is there any process or step needed to do before driving the car? like let engine idle around some time or at certain rpm?
Thanks
Old 10-23-2017, 11:41 AM
Drifting

Received 849 Likes on 605 Posts
I've always used the dipstick hole. Just make sure you don't pour the fluid in too quickly since the hole is smaller and will need to "burp" if you pour it in quick, resulting in a mess.

As far as I know, there isn't any process required once you refill. Unless for some reason you think you introduced a bunch of bubbles or something in which case I'd wait a few hours. I'm not even sure how that would happen though. Maybe if you shook the bottle up beforehand or something and it looked frothy going in. But I don't know if that's even possible.

Once you refill, check the dipstick to make sure it's at the right level. I pour the old fluid into a used 5qt. oil bottle with the fluid line graduations on the outside, then put that exact amount back in. Depending on how long you let it drain, there could be anywhere from 3.2 - 4 quarts. Then go drive it

I change mine frequently - about once every 15K miles. That's the way I've always done it and I'm at 130K. The tranny runs as good as the day I bought it.