Sponsored by: DashLynx

2012 TL SH-AWD Tech Price

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 01:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2012 TL SH-AWD Tech Price

Hi guys,

I went over to paragon acura yesterday to see if they had any '12 TL SH-AWD Tech's in stock and see what kind of deals they were giving. Given that I wasn't ready to sign on the spot, he didn't have any real interest to show me a good deal.

They had a black on black in stock (wanted white on black) with an MSRP of 44k. His first offer was 41k (for an already 1y old model), which right off the bat I rejected. Looking around the site, I see that 36k should be a fair deal (correct me if I'm wrong) given that the 2013 is out already. He also said that a lease on this car was 489 / month with 0 down (seems high to me).

I've never leased a car before, but have heard that the first thing you do is negotiate the MSRP, then work out the lease payment. Is there anything else I should know?

Thanks

PS - The Honda dealer is across the street so I checked out the new accord touring and my that is one really nice car. It's listed at 34k and comes with all sorts of new tech and has significantly better mileage than the TL which is making this a very difficult choice right now!
Old 11-01-2012, 02:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 100 Posts
38k, new accord feature for feature may beat a '12 TL... I haven't sat inside one to get a feel for the interior. I like the exterior of the TL over the accord. But strictly on features you could argue the accord is a better deal.
Old 11-01-2012, 03:24 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm in the same boat, my TSX is off lease in April and trying to decide what I want to do. Am interested in an AWD TL, but $44k is way too much. Any thoughts on what a "good" lease number would be for a 2012?
Old 11-01-2012, 09:06 PM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
Mine was 38k 6 months ago. So your estimates are about right. IMHO, the accord is nice but still not an Acura. You won't get the luxury car service like Acura or Lexus gives you at a Honda dealer. Also longer standard warranty. Keep in mind that the accord has cylinder deactivation for better gas mileage but the vehicles that do that are having severe sludge build up. It's on bobistheoil guy with pictures.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:16 PM
Racer

Received 230 Likes on 98 Posts
$36k is a stretch for a 2012 TL Tech SH-AWD unless earlier and you qualified for loyalty/conquest and the dealer felt like losing at least a grand or so.

2012 TL inventory is very sparse, because of the incentives on them September and October. Most of ours in stock are Tech SH-AWD now, 4 of which are Bellanova White/Ebony. Great combo, we just didn't realize we ordered 4 of them.

Great deals to be had, just do not wait any longer or you'll settle for color/trim
Old 11-02-2012, 11:13 AM
Three Wheelin'

beach109,

White/Black is the exact combo I wanted to have. Where is your dealership located?
Old 11-02-2012, 12:55 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by beach109
$36k is a stretch for a 2012 TL Tech SH-AWD unless earlier and you qualified for loyalty/conquest and the dealer felt like losing at least a grand or so.

2012 TL inventory is very sparse, because of the incentives on them September and October. Most of ours in stock are Tech SH-AWD now, 4 of which are Bellanova White/Ebony. Great combo, we just didn't realize we ordered 4 of them.

Great deals to be had, just do not wait any longer or you'll settle for color/trim
I guess "great" deals are only to be had when your salesperson isn't mad at you for "getting him in trouble" with Acura. I was quoted $0 off sticker for a 2012 SH-AWD w/Tech.

Oh well. Guess I'll just buy out the TSX.
Old 11-02-2012, 01:22 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by beach109

I wouldn't call it a stretch. I had several dealers that were willing to do that price for me. You are correct that it's only if you qualified for the conquest/loyalty rebates. If those are no longer in effect then yes 36K will be very hard to get now. Also I don't believe if the dealer gave you the 36K price in September/October while the rebates were in effect, that they were "losing" money. All your doing is cutting into their hold back money.
Old 11-02-2012, 01:48 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Black TL
Hi guys,

I went over to paragon acura yesterday to see if they had any '12 TL SH-AWD Tech's in stock and see what kind of deals they were giving. Given that I wasn't ready to sign on the spot, he didn't have any real interest to show me a good deal.

They had a black on black in stock (wanted white on black) with an MSRP of 44k. His first offer was 41k (for an already 1y old model), which right off the bat I rejected. Looking around the site, I see that 36k should be a fair deal (correct me if I'm wrong) given that the 2013 is out already. He also said that a lease on this car was 489 / month with 0 down (seems high to me).

I've never leased a car before, but have heard that the first thing you do is negotiate the MSRP, then work out the lease payment. Is there anything else I should know?

Thanks

PS - The Honda dealer is across the street so I checked out the new accord touring and my that is one really nice car. It's listed at 34k and comes with all sorts of new tech and has significantly better mileage than the TL which is making this a very difficult choice right now!

OP, find out what rebates/incentives are still in effect for November. Find out invoice price of the vehicle you want and subtract the rebates. That should be your starting price. You might be able to go lower a couple hundred dollars lower than that, but that depends on the dealership and how desperate they are to move the vehicle. $36K is possible but only if the conquest/loyalty rebates are still in effect and you qualify. Figure out your fees. The typical fees in a LEASE are acquisition fee ($595), doc fee (varies usually $150 - $350), registration (varies). Doc fees are pure dealer profit. They will tell you its non-negotiable. Figure what you feel is fair and have them adjust their price accordingly. Find out the money factor (interest rate) and the residual value for November. Find a lease calculator and plug in all the information. Calculate the lease payment including tax. Email/call the dealerships around your area (look in Westchester and Northern NJ as well), let them know the price or lease payment (w/ tax and fees) you want and whether or not they can do it. If you do go to a dealership, have a price or lease payment in mind before hand (OTD price incl tax and fees) and talk directly to a manager. Let him know your price/leas payment and that your serious and willing to take the vehicle that day if he matches your terms. If he says no and doesn't come back with something really close to what your asking, WALK OUT. Do not waste your time.

btw... The price of $489 if it includes tax doesn't sound bad for SH-AWD with Tech. I've also heard bad things about Paragon so definitely shop around. Goodluck.

Forgot to mention, a lease program usually runs until the first weekend of the following month. So October's rate and incentives might still be in effect until this weekend. You would have to verify with the dealerships.

Last edited by queens207tl; 11-02-2012 at 02:02 PM.
Old 11-03-2012, 04:05 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
beach109,

White/Black is the exact combo I wanted to have. Where is your dealership located?
Hey Black,

Beach is located in/near Philly, Metro Acura.... Call the dealership and ask for Derek Internet Sales Manager... Great guy and will do his best on pricing for you... Bought my 2012 TL SH-AWD Advance Mayan/Umber from him... Was the last one in the area with the color combo... Good luck and let him know Brian told you to give him a buzz...
Old 11-03-2012, 04:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

I went to another dealership today and got the following:

37500 to buy or:

418/mo for 36 mo with first month and nj tax 7% as up front (around 1350)
12k per year allowance

Residual they used was 48% initially but i asked him to bump it to 53% as i saw many people on edmunds were getting that.

I am going to call another dealer tomorrow to see if they can do better or have the white / black in stock.

This dealer only has silver / black.
Old 11-03-2012, 08:34 PM
Advanced

I went to another dealership today and got the following:

37500 to buy or:

418/mo for 36 mo with first month and nj tax 7% as up front (around 1350)
12k per year allowance

Residual they used was 48% initially but i asked him to bump it to 53% as i saw many people on edmunds were getting that.

I am going to call another dealer tomorrow to see if they can do better or have the white / black in stock.

This dealer only has silver / black.
OP, If your location is correct (Queens), then you would be paying NY tax not NJ, even if you bought the car in NJ. So your taxes will be more.

Secondly, residual values are set by Acura. The dealership cannot make up on their own values. The only way to change them is to change the amount of miles you want for the lease. For example moving from 15K miles a year to 10K miles a year. The dealer is not going to change the residual value just because you asked them to. You definitely need to get more details from the dealers when they are quoting you these prices.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:35 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Purchased my '12 awd tech oct 14th in jacksonville (acura of orange park) for 35.9....I got USAA price w/ 1k acura loyalty and 750 mil discount. You can get a good price, i'm sure they want the '12s off the lot. USAA price is the same as the ZAG price and remember that includes destination fee and dont let them charge you for the trunk tray, wheel locks, and other BS they put on it! Make them give that to you free
Old 11-03-2012, 11:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the feedback guys!
Old 11-05-2012, 07:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

True car has a 2013 TL AWD Tech for 39.9k including destination

What do you think? I think it may be cheaper to lease given that the residual value is higher and money factor is the same. I have asked the dealer to provide me with this info. Will post an update when i get it.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:28 AM
Three Wheelin'

Even better quote today at 39.3k including destination on a 2013. Still waiting on residual/money factor.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:52 PM
2nd Gear

Even better quote today at 39.3k including destination on a 2013. Still waiting on residual/money factor.
Let me know what your lease payments end up being? Im trying to work out a deal here in Houston and this tread has been very helpful.

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-07-2012, 12:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

ok so i might pull the trigger today on the 2012 TL SH-AWD Tech

final details are:
419 / month for 36m 12k/year
1674 due at signing which includes UF taxes (NY at 7% since I just moved there) of about 1055, tags/title 200 and first months payment of 419.

What do you think? He was quoting $40 more / month for the 2013 with about 200 more for UF.

Thanks
Old 11-07-2012, 02:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 119 Posts
sounds crappy to me, but I don't f(lease) my money away
Old 11-07-2012, 04:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 012TL-GLM
sounds crappy to me, but I don't f(lease) my money away
Thing is I want to get the new TL when it comes out but need something immediately as my 99 TL's transmission is banging and slipping all over the place now. I figured I'd lease one for now until the new model comes out then buy. This is my first lease so it was all a learning process, but well worth the effort. I think I got a good deal for what it is. If I bought it, I would pay 7% on the entire amount which when sold to a private seller I wouldn't see any of it back.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
If I bought it, I would pay 7% on the entire amount which when sold to a private seller I wouldn't see any of it back.
...correct, unless you would go to the dealership where you were to buy the new TLX and bring with you, the purchaser of your vehicle. By dong what they call a "convenient", the dealer would buy the vehicle from you and flip it right away to the new owner and you would be able to save the tax on the portion you sold the old vehicle. At least, that's doable in Canada....

That being said, I have no objections to leases. My TL is a lease and love the idea of partially financing the vehicle and one of the advantage with leasing is the following: IF you have a major accident with your vehicle why you lease, at the end of the lease, Acura will have to deal with the depreciation associated with the accident report on file attached to the vehicle. That is not why I lease but could be seen a check on the "plus" side I guess

Last edited by weather; 11-07-2012 at 06:35 PM.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:55 PM
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts
What's the buy out at the end of the lease?

Basically --- as an exercise in numbers, if you considered the lease + buy out after as "regular financing" with a term of lease period plus 60 months (96 months total), what would the effective interest rate be for that period? (And how does it compare in total $$ spent with a 96 month financing -- if such a thing existed)
Old 11-08-2012, 09:40 PM
Racer

Received 230 Likes on 98 Posts
Originally Posted by ferrcad
Hey Black,

Beach is located in/near Philly, Metro Acura.... Call the dealership and ask for Derek Internet Sales Manager... Great guy and will do his best on pricing for you... Bought my 2012 TL SH-AWD Advance Mayan/Umber from him... Was the last one in the area with the color combo... Good luck and let him know Brian told you to give him a buzz...
Thanks, ferrcad.

Remaining 2012 TL's and MDX's are the best deal at the moment, if you can find one. No use waiting, there will be no cars to go with the pricing. We have 6 SH-AWD Tech TL's left, 4 of which are white/ebony.

Now located in Limerick, PA and no longer in the city.

Advance models remain even more exclusive and rare to find, and an incredible car with the 19" wheels and additional electronics.

I can be more specific with details by PM...cheers to Acura buying!
Old 12-27-2012, 07:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

Ok, so just put my purchase order in for a 2013 TL SH-AWD w/Tech (not a contract they say).

The details are:
MSRP : 44,080
Initial Cap cost : 38,700 (pretty good yeah?)

10k / year for 36m
Residual 57%
MF : 0.00118 (2.83%)
Acq fee : 595

NJ tax at 7%

payments come out to 500/ month
UF = 1340 which includes first month (500), NJ Registration (350), doc fee of 75, Tire tax 12.5, 215 cap cost reduction, and 1xx of some other NJ tax.

How does this look?

I initially wanted the white on black, but ended up liking the white on taupe (seating surfaces are grey whereas the dash/carpet/steering wheel are black which has a nice contrast).

The car needs to be a dealer swap so someone needs to drive it down once its located. Apparently, they dont flatbed on dealer swaps.. Anyway, since it's a lease, I dont really care.

Thanks
Old 12-28-2012, 11:25 AM
C8N
Burning Brakes

Received 134 Likes on 109 Posts
Open Road Acura in Wayne NJ has a 2012 TL AWD w/ Tech in wht/blk... at least on their website. Not sure if you are still interested in the 2012.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by C8N
Open Road Acura in Wayne NJ has a 2012 TL AWD w/ Tech in wht/blk... at least on their website. Not sure if you are still interested in the 2012.
The dealer told me the residuals were much lower, so it didnt make sense to lease a 2012. If I was buying, I would definitely have given them a call.

Thanks for the info though!