2012 TL Clutch Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 06:20 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 TL Clutch Replacement

Hey Everyone, my dealer found a couple leaks (rear main seal and one of the head gaskets I believe) which will require removal of the transmission to repair. Thankfully, it's covered under the CPO powertrain warranty. They suggested that I have the clutch replaced now, given that it'll be over $1K cheaper due to the transmission already being out. A few questions:

1. What's a standard clutch life expectancy on a 4G 6MT TL? Mine has just under 75K miles and I've owned it since 46K (and I know how to drive a stick).

2. Should I do the OEM replacement, or something else? I just want something that will last a long time and feel like a good Honda/Acura clutch should feel.

Thanks all!
Old 09-01-2017, 12:37 PM
Drifting

Received 563 Likes on 363 Posts
I'll respond to your second question first. I'd stick with the OEM parts if you go forward. You'll get a good warranty, Acura reliability and that feel you are seeking. I have a lot of experience with motorcycles where people have used non-OEM clutch replacement packages, and the longevity, engagement feel and overall operation is never up to the level of Japanese OEM.

On your first question, I've owned a number of Honda/Acura MT cars, putting up to 200K on them, and I've never replaced a clutch. I don't do a huge amount of stop and go city driving, and I don't abuse my car. That said, this car puts out a lot of power and takes the "abuse" of AWD grip. I'd think 150K should be a normal life span. But if you are at 75K now and the trans is out, I'd go ahead and do it if you can swing the expense right now. (Note that there are stories on this forum of people replacing their 4G clutches at unusually low mileage numbers, but there's no way to know how they drove and maintained their cars).
Old 09-06-2017, 12:49 PM
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by gallih28
Hey Everyone, my dealer found a couple leaks (rear main seal and one of the head gaskets I believe) which will require removal of the transmission to repair. Thankfully, it's covered under the CPO powertrain warranty. They suggested that I have the clutch replaced now, given that it'll be over $1K cheaper due to the transmission already being out. A few questions:

1. What's a standard clutch life expectancy on a 4G 6MT TL? Mine has just under 75K miles and I've owned it since 46K (and I know how to drive a stick).

2. Should I do the OEM replacement, or something else? I just want something that will last a long time and feel like a good Honda/Acura clutch should feel.

Thanks all!
Replace it.. and keep it OEM if you ain't boosting lol...
Old 09-08-2017, 12:58 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Interesting. I bought my 14 6mt with 21k miles. At 40k the rear main seal started leaking. Under factory warranty they replaced the seal and the clutch - they said when they took it off oil had leaked all over the clutch so they just replaced.

Then, at my next oil change, there was still oil leaking so they just replaced the entire engine. Good thing it was still under warranty.

I would definitely use OEM.
Old 09-08-2017, 01:01 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
clutch is wear and tear item. if it is NOT worn, NO NEED TO REPLACE.

if worn out, replace.
Old 09-22-2017, 09:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 107 Posts
Please see the excellent thread on clutch replacement in the "problems and fixes" sub forum.