Sponsored by: DashLynx

2011 ACURA TL TECH SH-AWD YAY or Nay

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 07:43 AM
Autofahrer

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
2011 ACURA TL TECH SH-AWD YAY or Nay

Hi there,
I am planning on driving home a new car today.
My problem is a common one: G37X or TL.

I know you can;t compare those cars directly, but I need a little input here.

Be hones, would you go for a G37x with Navi-, Premium- and Performance(Tire)-Package for $33500 or the TL TECH SH-AWD for $36700? Both are 2011.

The only turnoff for me in regards to the TL is the soon to be announced 2012 with the 6 Gear Automatic Transmission.

I love both cars and I know I can't go wrong with either of them... but $3k and the Trani make it hard to decide.

Thanks for your input
Old 01-11-2011, 08:28 AM
Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by TinyRK
The only turnoff for me in regards to the TL is the soon to be announced 2012 with the 6 Gear Automatic Transmission.
Just so you know, I don't believe anything is confirmed...it's all rumor based on the ZDX. So don't make a decision based on the future, because who knows what's going to happen.

Also - asking here, you're going to have a high percentage of people saying get the TL because we're all happy with ours. I think the downside to the G sedan is that it's much smaller on the inside. I was too confined in the cabin when I test drove one last year (6'2' 200lbs), so I wasn't a fan. The TL was bigger, but drove like a smaller car (beauty of SHAWD).

Good luck on your search and Welcome!
Old 01-11-2011, 08:31 AM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,484 Likes on 1,048 Posts
You do realize that pretty much everybody here did choose a TL over G37. I think you'll get more unbiased answers over in Car Talk.

That being said, IMHO I'd get the G37, based strictly on numbers. You save 3 grand, I think the car's a bit smaller and nimbler, it's more powerful.

Have you test driven both?

I'd take my time with these kind of purchases, test drive both and then sleep on it. Good luck.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:32 AM
Autofahrer

I am well aware of the bias...
That's OK.

I am 6'3" 225lbs and I agree, the G is tight, but sportier.

In the end it comes down to the price. That's why I am asking you guys to be honest. If you wouldn't be able to decide are $3k an argument on top of the 5AT vs the 7AT?

Goddammit... What a PITA to spend ~$35k! I love it
Old 01-11-2011, 08:37 AM
Autofahrer

Aman,
yes I test-drove both. I drove the G37x to the Acura-Dealer to test-drive the TL.
They looked bedazzled when I pulled up in the lot. Hahaha, must be my German blood! MY GF is still blushing every time she is telling the story.

Test-drove both several times: sporty vs comfy. Simple vs gadget-overload.

Ying and yang! 'Nuff said!

And I do realize that people picked the TL over the G37x, but I want to know why? Again, I'd say 75% of the TLers here sat in the same boat at one point, so I need a little input here.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:31 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts
The main reason I chose a TL over a G is that for me,comfort was more important than sport. I'm not yet ready for Lexus comfort but the TL is a nice blend of comfort/sport with the balance swayed towards comfort while the G is sport/comfort with balance more towards sport (IMHO). Top it off with more interior space, great technology package, better resale value and overall bang-for-the-buck and the TL is hard if not impossible to beat. FWIW and only you can decide what's right for you.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:40 AM
lji
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but Edmunds shows only a $1,000 incentive on 2011 G37 models with $3,000 incentive on the 2010 G37 model. There's a $2,000 incentive on the 2011 TL vs $3,000 on the 2010 TL. Make sure you're getting the right MY.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:46 AM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
Check out the true numbers, that 328 hp is misleading on the Infiniti...and that's from a link posted here to a MT or C&D page. I also read that somewhere else.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:59 AM
Banned

Received 198 Likes on 147 Posts
TinyRk

In my case, the fact that no manual transmission was available on the AWD G37 sealed the deal for the TL.

If I was ok with an auto tranny...well it would have been extremely hard to decide....the G is a fantastic sport sedan....with the TL you get a bit more room especially in the back and the torque vectoring AWD system, with the G you get more gears (with the auto tranny) and more power.....I do not think one is "better" than the other...

The TL has a more unique styling which can be seen as a plus or a minus......I personally view it as a plus, but that's me....I got a TL after all....

Both the G and the TL are definitely a better value proposition than any of the German competitors.

Last edited by saturno_v; 01-11-2011 at 10:02 AM.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:15 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 222 Likes on 112 Posts
TinyRK, Cars Direct is showing a 2011 TL AWD/Auto at $39,592 after incentives. A 2011 G37x at $38,973 with no tech package after incentives. Even with mighty negotiating ability and a ton of leverage, imo, your prices seem low.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:41 AM
The Sicilian

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
I have experience with the G35X. My sister owned a 2005 and currently has a 2007. Have driven them both over weekends and so on off and on. I find it very small inside (6" 180 lbs) and they have a very stiff ride IMO.
My brother-in-law hates the interior because he is 5'10" and about 250 lbs and finds it very tight and uncomfortable.
The TL was the first Acura/Honda product I drove and bought so that should tell you something.
I also think the G37X body style is starting to look dated and boring. There are a lot of them on the raod, so no exclusivity.
The G is fast though!
Old 01-11-2011, 11:51 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
I vote TL-AWD, the SH-AWD works in all situations, dry and wet while the G37X is strictly an inclimate weather AWD system. Having owned numerous TLs and now a 2011 M37 I can tell you I will be back with Acura sooner than later. Infiniti electronics are awful and Acura build quality is far superior. You are faced with similar issues with bot, 2012 TL is within about 90 days and 2012 G will have a new body in 12 months. TL-Tech AWD materials are a step up over the G and the ELS is far superior.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:43 PM
Back From The dead

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts
Tl
Old 01-11-2011, 12:43 PM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
I cross shopped the G37x (among others) many times.

My thoughts about the G37x:

1) I'm 5'10" 165lbs, and I felt the G37x interior very confined and tight, uncomfortable. I traded in a 09 IS 250 AWD with only 4,000 miles the dam IS became chronically painful to drive. So you can be sure I made driver's comfort #1 priority. I test drove the G37x, and each time I came out uncomfortable and strained. I find this is because the G's body is very narrow.

2) With even moderate acceleration, I could hear the G's engine roar like a loud beehive. Very annoying and unsettling of a "luxury" car.

3) While turning over bumps, I could feel the G's body roll quite heavily, and also feel literally as if the suspension was going to break.

4) The G37x AWD system is 100% rear wheel biased. Might be good for dry performance and fun, but come snow/ice I suspect tail spins galore.

5) The 37x does not come with a manual. I settled with an auto with the IS, I definitely wasn't going to settle with an auto this time around.

6) The G's navigation locks you out when the car is in motion. IMHO, the nav is then useless (much like the Lexus' useless nav).
Old 01-11-2011, 12:47 PM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithL
I vote TL-AWD, the SH-AWD works in all situations, dry and wet while the G37X is strictly an inclimate weather AWD system. Having owned numerous TLs and now a 2011 M37 I can tell you I will be back with Acura sooner than later. Infiniti electronics are awful and Acura build quality is far superior. You are faced with similar issues with bot, 2012 TL is within about 90 days and 2012 G will have a new body in 12 months. TL-Tech AWD materials are a step up over the G and the ELS is far superior.
Your post makes me glad I re-chose acura after my first TL was totaled.

I was almost going to get the G37 sedan because it was $2k cheaper than the SHAWD, but then the Base was $1k cheaper than the G and just felt so much better.

btw, will you look into the 2012 TL? or is the loss just too big to take? (since you've already traded once this yr)

I'm debating on whether or not to get the 2012 TL. Reason is, I want SHAWD again, and if there are ventilated seats, I'd also want those. The problem is that i'd need to take a $4k loss just from the first year of ownership, then (assuming there's an advanced package), pay $3k more than the SHAWD Tech. Add in the difference i "saved" by getting the Base model (Another $3k) and I'd be talking about a possible $10k jump in price (and debt).
Old 01-11-2011, 01:49 PM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Originally Posted by KeithL
What you talking 'bout Willis? LMAO! Did I read this right? Whoa, what's next Technokitty going viral on Youtube praising the TL's quality and build, okay I got beside myself on that one, LMAO!
Old 01-11-2011, 02:04 PM
Autofahrer

Originally Posted by Glashub
TinyRK, Cars Direct is showing a 2011 TL AWD/Auto at $39,592 after incentives. A 2011 G37x at $38,973 with no tech package after incentives. Even with mighty negotiating ability and a ton of leverage, imo, your prices seem low.

I went through costcoauto.com and used my German "charm"

I know the prices are low... Really low! That's what makes it so hard.

I read enough here... I appreciate the honest input and I will go with the TL! 2011 is my year (divorced! Man, she'll be jealous!), and since we'll die 2012 anyways...
Old 01-11-2011, 02:17 PM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
Maybe a little late to the discussion but better late than never. I chose the TL mainly for the 6MT and AWD combo. With a 6MT there is little to no performance loss when compared to any G model despite it being smaller and lighter with a higher HP rating and I believe the TL also offers better handling and braking while not having to feel as sporty. It's as capable if not more while at the same time being a larger, more spacious, and to me, more comfortable and luxurious. If acceleration is important to you wait for the 12' in a few months, there is a good chance that it gets the 6AT.

The G is a great car and an outstanding value, I would not hesitate to get one if I was cross shopping something like a 3 series or A4 and even an S4, etc, but like you said, the TL doesn't compare directly in most people's minds. While it doesn't have the luxury of a mid level like a 5 series or Audi A6, it does have the same type of size and performance combo that you find within that segment, but unlike other cars that also share in that, the TL has at least the baseline amount of luxury to be considered luxury in the first place. So that's where the TL's uniqueness and value comes into play, especially if you are looking for 6MT with AWD.

Then there is the AWD systems, Infiniti's is a great dry handling system, being mostly RWD with adequate poor weather abilities too but SH is still superior in both aspects, at least when comparing the G and TL.

I don't have any major issues with the styling of the TL and overall I like it but I know many do and think it is too big of a car on the outside and that it has large overhangs but you have to also appreciate it's balance and proportions. The G is a good looking car for my tastes as well but I don't see it as being as well proportioned. It's very narrow and too tall which translates inside as well. All the head room makes for good paper stats but head room and leg room can be adjusted for very easily, hip and shoulder room can't and the TL has lots of that.

Like others have said, there are a lot of areas like the varying navi and feature functions which you might want to consider which you prefer overall. Also the ride, engine and tranny which IMO are very smooth and refined on the TL and more raw and sporty on the G. So a lot will come down to preference but I don't think you can go wrong here but good luck with whatever you decide on even though it sounds like it's going to be the TL but if you have questions you know where to come.

Last edited by winstrolvtec; 01-11-2011 at 02:27 PM.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by jasonwdp10
Your post makes me glad I re-chose acura after my first TL was totaled.

btw, will you look into the 2012 TL? or is the loss just too big to take? (since you've already traded once this yr)
My plan is to look at a 2012 if they are available by April1, I already spoke to dealer to keep me in the loop and make sure he has a silver on black Type-S coming. It will depend on how upside down I am in the M37. I may need to wait until late 2011 to get the TL, but with my M37 stuck in the garage as we Atlantans deal with snow and ice last 2 days I am missing the AWD big time right now. There is a slight chance I may do a TSX for a year or so if I decide to do soem work on my house I may need to free up a few hundred a month.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:25 PM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
acura has a much better awd system then the infiniti...
Old 01-11-2011, 02:31 PM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Originally Posted by vinnier6
acura has a much better awd system then the infiniti...

I read a view somewhere about the AWD systems on the TL and Infin...the Acura was hands down a better real world application. I have to give the folks at Honda major kudos, mechanical engineers I know are in awe of how it's developed.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by compewterbleu
What you talking 'bout Willis? LMAO! Did I read this right? Whoa, what's next Technokitty going viral on Youtube praising the TL's quality and build, okay I got beside myself on that one, LMAO!
Why the surprise, I loved my TLs, the only thing I dis-liked about my 09 was the styling and the awful colors. Acura has addressed (although still needs more improvemnt) both items, the nose should look like the 2011 TSX nose, which is acceptable, not great. And they have a new Silver this year in the TSX and expectedi n the TL which I have not seen yet, but hear is more a traditional Silver. That being said, I love looking at my M37S and whil it is a great driving care for long rides it does nto handle well. It is funny one other post mentioend in the G37 the body roll, I swear the body in the M37 is not as rigid as the TL was, the M37 always feels like it is twisting and bending, it may just be the suspension, but it sure feels like the body flexing. Just not as tight a car as the TL was. Maybe I was lucky, but my SH-AWD TL was bank vault quiet and super tight.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:19 PM
Banned

Received 198 Likes on 147 Posts
I went through costcoauto.com and used my German "charm"

I know the prices are low... Really low! That's what makes it so hard.

I read enough here... I appreciate the honest input and I will go with the TL! 2011 is my year (divorced! Man, she'll be jealous!), and since we'll die 2012 anyways...
If that can make you feel better, the TL SH-AWD matched (C&D test) every measured performance (acceleration, skidpad, fuel consumption, noise level, etc...) and it is lighter (identical size) than a Porsche Panamera 4 3.6, a car costing double the price (compared to a fully loaded TL SH-AWD) in its basic form (which gets you less accessories and gizmos and no torque vectoring)
Old 01-11-2011, 06:49 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
WOW! Those are amazing prices for both cars!!! How did you get the G37X to be so low? That is super low, even for Costco Auto!!!

Anyway, I chose the 2010 TL SH-AWD with Tech over the G37X for these reasons:

1. The looks - yup, I do find the more unique look of the TL to be more appealing! The G37X is a great looking car, but it's just everywhere....

2. The space - the G37X is tight inside...

3. The ride - the G37X is even stiffer than the TL SH-AWD, and the latter is already too stiff per some people!

4. The sound system - the TL's ELS is amazing!!! However, the G37X has a very mediocre sound system.

5. The model cycle of the vehicles - the G sedan is due for a major re-design very soon (probably within the next year or so?) so it will look "old" in no time. However, the TL is only in its 3rd model year...

6. The interior design - I LOVE the TL SH-AWD with Tech's interior design, esp. the umber leather which is absolutely scrumptious! The G sedan is nice inside too, but it still cannot touch the TL in terms of its cabin design.

If you could wait, I would definitely wait for the 2012 TL for reasons outlined by the others above.

Anyway, both the G sedan and the TL are nice cars, so you would not go wrong with either!
Old 01-11-2011, 07:03 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TL for me

I test drove both when I got my 09 SH-AWD, I got the TL.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:19 PM
Autofahrer

Bought the TL!

They offer 0.9% over 60months.
With $6k down I am paying $590 a month. A few bucks more than the G37x.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:25 PM
Drifting

Congrats! You made the right choice :-)

What color combo did you go with? When do we get to see it???
Old 01-11-2011, 07:32 PM
Autofahrer

Here she is:

Color:
Polished Metal Metallic with Ebony Leather
Old 01-11-2011, 07:39 PM
Drifting

Love PMM - nice color!!!
Old 01-11-2011, 10:19 PM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
SH-AWD is great in the snow. The performance tires you mentioned may be best in warmer climates?
Old 01-12-2011, 08:41 AM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Originally Posted by Litt
SH-AWD is great in the snow. The performance tires you mentioned may be best in warmer climates?

Great choice, but I agree with Litt, I have 19" HPT's and although the snow in Augusta, GA wasn't as bad as Atlanta, GA there is a big difference. I ventured out to an empty parking lot and ran Grace through some tricks, but I can only imagine the difference of all season or winter tires...the foot print wasn't as deep as I'd like for that type of weather. All that said have the right tools and equipment to get the job done correctly...
Old 01-12-2011, 08:44 AM
Autofahrer

Well, I live in Wisconsin! Snow is not rare here (even though we haven't had as much as NYC yet ).

But I am certainly looking forward to some left lane action in the snow. God, I miss the Autobahn
Old 01-12-2011, 08:58 AM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Oh it's a monster...I just know the nature of the beast of winter driving. HPT's better for summer driving...she cuts through the rain with the greatest of ease...
Old 01-12-2011, 09:40 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts
Congrats and welcome to the 4g TL family!
Old 01-12-2011, 09:47 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Glashub
I dunno... a scant five months after release at MSRP of $42.5K, the SH-AWD Tech was advertised in the Seattle area (Fife) at $38K ($37,999), before the incentives came in. I mentioned this when talking about on-lot depreciation.

$36,700 seems like a screaming deal. The G37x is a great car too, but far more pedestrian looking and the AWD version feels detached. It combines harshness with lack of actual road feel, which is very strange. I found the TL SH-AWD suspension overly-busy, but it has great road feel, better than the G37x, better than any Audi I've ever driven, and up among the better BMWs.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:42 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 222 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by TechnoCat
I dunno... a scant five months after release at MSRP of $42.5K, the SH-AWD Tech was advertised in the Seattle area (Fife) at $38K ($37,999), before the incentives came in. I mentioned this when talking about on-lot depreciation.

$36,700 seems like a screaming deal. The G37x is a great car too, but far more pedestrian looking and the AWD version feels detached. It combines harshness with lack of actual road feel, which is very strange. I found the TL SH-AWD suspension overly-busy, but it has great road feel, better than the G37x, better than any Audi I've ever driven, and up among the better BMWs.
One nice thing about Oregon is that we don't pay a tax on cars. The bad thing is that the dealers know it and aren't as willing to deal. As a business owner I can tell you that it is critical to maintain a margin and we don't give it up easily. They have plans to monetize some way, some how. I'd take the prices you've seen with a grain of salt until due diligence is thoroughly done. In fact I'd take the op's prices with a grain of salt. After 5 years he'll have paid 41k + for the car.

That then doesn't seem like such a screaming deal. However, if he takes care of the car he could get 50% of the original purchase price like I did on a 6 year old TL which makes for a much more substantial down payment on the next car.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:03 PM
Drifting

Actually 5 months after release there were incentives for the 2010. I know regions vary but they had a $1k incentives for late Nov-Dec and in Jan the $2k incentive came out just like now with the 2011. Late in the model year the $3k incentive was introduced.

It makes perfect sense as the invoice is close to $40k, minus the $2k dealer cash and we are at $38k, the advertised price which is really invoice in the dealer's mind and there is still plenty of profit. This is how most brands work and all cars experience on-lot depreciation especially now that invoice is the starting point in negotiating with most cars in this market. Brands start to push the product harder after the new year (and it progresses), at the same time the last model year is pretty much cleared out.

This is not exclusive to the TL, I know you traded in after a few months of ownership and you bought it fairly early, near the model intro but that is really the problem, not the resale or depreciation. Take an S4 for example, the 2010 has a $3700 incentive and a much higher mark up from invoice, that's even more depreciation. You could in fact manage nearly a $9k discount on an S4 from sticker to invoice minus incentives and depending on how well equipped it was. I think your deal actually resembled something like that. Try trading that in after 8 months.

I agree those are amazing deals especially the G deal, that is zero profit for the dealer, they make no money on that price but Infiniti's finance rates at least in my area are higher than Acura's so Infiniti makes it up some there but the dealer must be hurting unless there are undisclosed incentives. At the same time, Infiniti's lease deals are among the best anywhere right now so if one leases a G under a price like that it's basically stealing the car.

Last edited by winstrolvtec; 01-12-2011 at 02:09 PM.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:04 PM
Autofahrer

Just drove her home from the dealership while listening to this: www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRMKrwQ_7iM

What a nice ride!
Old 01-12-2011, 02:08 PM
Autofahrer

The Infiniti-Dealer told me, that he is not making $$$ on this G37x. Afterall, with .9% Financing with the Acura I pay $10 more a month than I would with the G37x.

But this ride home lets me believe that I made the right decision with my TL.

Thanks for your help guys...
Old 01-12-2011, 02:26 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by TinyRK
The Infiniti-Dealer told me, that he is not making $$$ on this G37x. Afterall, with .9% Financing with the Acura I pay $10 more a month than I would with the G37x.

But this ride home lets me believe that I made the right decision with my TL.

Thanks for your help guys...
Like you said, even though the G deal is better it's nearly the same cost for both anyway and lets say the G didn't have the spoiler equipped which Acura includes with the tech package, they now cost the same although that's hypothetical. More importantly the $3k was not a major factor afterall but had you leased it might have been a different story. It ultimately came down to preference and it seems you made the right choice for yourself. Congrats and enjoy.

Quick Reply: 2011 ACURA TL TECH SH-AWD YAY or Nay