Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2010 TL CBP crows feet

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 09:12 AM
2014 TL SH-AWD Advance

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by spartanswin
Hi All - new to AcuraZine but found this thread on Google and thought you'd want to hear my story. I have a 2010 Acura TL with CBP that has crows feet. Acura has agreed to repaint my car at no cost to me, however, now I'm concerned about the resale value of my car. I recently spoke to someone at another dealership and they indicated that I could lose 25-30% of the resale value due to the fact that the paint is no longer OEM. Has anyone had any luck getting a payout from Acura to cover the difference? Or has anyone taken any legal action against this?
From what I've been seeing most people are having trouble even getting Acura to pay for the complete paint job, let alone reimburse for value lost. Consider yourself lucky that they are picking up the tab on the paint job.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:52 AM

Received 1,020 Likes on 792 Posts
yup... you lose the depreciation value of the car.. its just something you got to live with... but since i am keeping my car till it dies on the street.. i had no problem with it.. just try to get something out from them.. when i got my car repainted.. i demanded the extended warranty, they gave it without hesitation.. i have a 2010.. my warranty expires in 2017 or 100k.
Old 07-14-2014, 03:11 PM
LNJ
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts
I don't get how you would lose value on resale if Acura actually repaints the car for you?
It's not mechanical!
I can see that you may lose a bit of value if you try to sell it unfixed.
If Acura does fix it, it's a bonus cause you have a fresh coat of paint...
Old 07-14-2014, 05:47 PM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
Probably has more resale if re-painted and done really well than with the problem left alone but it has less than if there never was a problem or defect in the first place and nothing else major had happened to the vehicle. However, I can see a case where if it was only affecting one panel, for example, and it was not too noticeable and one re-painted most of or the whole car to match perfectly, it might actually have less value because not a single panel is factory paint or most of it anyway.

If it was me, I would do everything in my power to not only make Acura pay for the fix but also stand bye that fix until 100% satisfaction and warranty it in some capacity, as well as compensate for the loss in value.
Old 07-14-2014, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by LNJ
I don't get how you would lose value on resale if Acura actually repaints the car for you?
It's not mechanical!
I can see that you may lose a bit of value if you try to sell it unfixed.
If Acura does fix it, it's a bonus cause you have a fresh coat of paint...

look at it this way.. would you buy a car knowing that it was fully painted before? do you trust the records when you buy a car from some individual?

it doesnt matter what is on paper.. it matters to who is the next buyer of the car. Guarantee if you bring your car that repaint by dealer to carmax or any trade in deal, you will get a smaller offer over if it had original paint.. fact is people do not want the car to be tampered with.

dealers dont want them, individuals dont want them as they think it was in a wreck and needed to be repaired.

i certainly would not buy a car that has been repainted.. there is always another car just like it, why buy one that has been tampered with?
Old 07-14-2014, 06:23 PM
LNJ
Racer

It's as simple as looking up service records from any Acura dealership to determine why the car was repainted.
You guys are creating a mountain out of a molehill off a nonexistent issue. If it's not mechanical or collision related, it's not going to reduce the value of the car. But if you guys keep perpetuating such fear, maybe it will make the list of what reduces resale value of a vehicle!
Old 07-14-2014, 11:01 PM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
Cosmetics respays will also reduce the value, perhaps not what one may consider substantial but to any suspecting buyer it will always cost you. Any car remotely suspected of even a moderate collision from signs of any painting, whether the case or not, will get hit by about 20% give or take depending on how extensive, that is not small change.

There is little for a dealer or anyone else for that matter to tell if whether an entire respray or front end, etc was truly cosmetic or structural. The only way to suspect that is with signs of re-painting and paint meters. Usually there is no taking chances, if it's been sprayed you have to assume the worst. You might even be able to document it as entirely cosmetic and there is still no telling how many times it had been replaced or re-sprayed and if there might have been an unreported collision or two in between.

Most people might make a small exception to a bumper re-paint confined to the bumper and not blended into the adjacent panels but that's about it, hence the term bumper. Once you start talking about actual sheet metal, even a single panel from a dent or scratch, otherwise non collision, and I've experienced anywhere from a $600-$1000 hit considering everything else was original, repair was flawless and all else in great condition.

Last edited by winstrolvtec; 07-14-2014 at 11:07 PM.
Old 07-15-2014, 09:33 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 89 Posts
The first thing the dealerships do when you want to trade a car in is check the paint. They pull out the meter and right away know if it was repainted or not. I had to replace a fender on my Cobra after someone hit it in a parking lot. When I thought about trading it in, the dealer was all over that fender. It knocked a few bucks off the trade, so I sold it outright instead and had photos and a detailed report from the auto body shop as to what was replaced.
Old 07-15-2014, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by LNJ
It's as simple as looking up service records from any Acura dealership to determine why the car was repainted.
You guys are creating a mountain out of a molehill off a nonexistent issue. If it's not mechanical or collision related, it's not going to reduce the value of the car. But if you guys keep perpetuating such fear, maybe it will make the list of what reduces resale value of a vehicle!

clearly you do not have a single clue on what you are talking about..
Old 07-15-2014, 11:43 AM
LNJ
Racer

Originally Posted by potmilkz
clearly you do not have a single clue on what you are talking about..
Maybe everyone is treated suspiciously in your country but I have traded in plenty of cars here any none of the dealers even physically inspected any of them. They only ever did lean checks to make sure I am the actual owner. And only one ever did a CarProof on the VIN.
Old 07-15-2014, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by LNJ
Maybe everyone is treated suspiciously in your country but I have traded in plenty of cars here any none of the dealers even physically inspected any of them. They only ever did lean checks to make sure I am the actual owner. And only one ever did a CarProof on the VIN.
you do know that if acura repaints your car, it will show up on carfax.. it will be reported.. trust me.. i had my car repainted by acura and my carfax shows it the last time i ran it. Thus will reduce value

just because it has never happened to you does not change the fact that dealers do check paint.. maybe you are lucky??

if a dealer is smart they will bust out the paint thickness gauge and check the paint.
Old 07-15-2014, 11:34 PM
LNJ
Racer

Out of curiosity I actually spoke to an Acura dealer and a Mitsubishi dealer today. They both said the same thing. If the paint is a manufacturer defect, and it is corrected by the authorised dealer either as a partial or a full reprint, it will not reduce trade in value if traded in at any dealership of said brand. It will show as part of your maintenance/TSB/recall history.
So basically Acura is not gonna lower your trade-in value. But everyone else (used car dealership, private buyer) may look for the tiniest reason to do so!
Trade-in value is determined by the silliest things such as colour. Any other colour other than white, black or silver is automatically penalized as well.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:37 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just noticed some crows feet on my hood when I parked under a bright bluish light in a parking lot. Its unnoticeable in any other light including sunlight which I thought showed all defects. Assume this isnt bad enough to push the dealership for re-paint?

2013 TL Advance
Old 11-17-2014, 05:02 PM
Intermediate

Surprised why the gave you grief. Acura knows that there is a problem with the paint. I am in calgary and the car is almost out of warrenty and northwest acura gave me no problems at all car is going to be in the shop on December 8
Old 11-17-2014, 05:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LNJ
Out of curiosity I actually spoke to an Acura dealer and a Mitsubishi dealer today. They both said the same thing. If the paint is a manufacturer defect, and it is corrected by the authorised dealer either as a partial or a full reprint, it will not reduce trade in value if traded in at any dealership of said brand. It will show as part of your maintenance/TSB/recall history.
So basically Acura is not gonna lower your trade-in value. But everyone else (used car dealership, private buyer) may look for the tiniest reason to do so!
Trade-in value is determined by the silliest things such as colour. Any other colour other than white, black or silver is automatically penalized as well.
I actually took my TL to another Acura dealer last week. They checked it out ran the carfax and used the paint meter to measure the paint thickness. Guess what? They offered me less for the car and said if it was original paint it would have appraised for 2700 more. So much for Acura standing behind their cars. The dealer that did the work said it won't affect the value but for some reason they were too. Use both times I asked them to appraise it as a trade in. Wonder why?
Old 11-18-2014, 04:37 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
is this a flaw in the base paint or the clear coat? i'm guessing in the base paint, else honda wouldn't issue a tsb for only that color.

if it's in the clear coat, you can work it.
Old 11-18-2014, 05:58 PM
Burning Brakes

It's the base paint
Old 11-25-2014, 11:18 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by spartanswin
Hi All - new to AcuraZine but found this thread on Google and thought you'd want to hear my story. I have a 2010 Acura TL with CBP that has crows feet. Acura has agreed to repaint my car at no cost to me, however, now I'm concerned about the resale value of my car. I recently spoke to someone at another dealership and they indicated that I could lose 25-30% of the resale value due to the fact that the paint is no longer OEM. Has anyone had any luck getting a payout from Acura to cover the difference? Or has anyone taken any legal action against this?
no offense but you are fortunate to have it repaint at no cost to you since Acura takes full responsibility ( they dont have to and they can always find way to deny it) so the resales value is the last thing you should be worry about for now.
Old 11-25-2014, 07:48 PM
Intermediate

i dont understand why people are so worried about resale. after the new paint job it will be better then factory, plus it will be like a brand new car.
Old 12-01-2014, 06:03 PM
4th Gear

Hello all,
I am new to the forum. I have a 2010 TL and have a problem with the "crow's feet". I live in Southern California. I thought I was doing something wrong, but I buy the best car wash soap I can afford, and try to keep my car looking nice. However, the paint job is starting to look horrible. What do you recommend? I bought it through Carmax when it had about 9k miles. This started showing up around 30k miles and I now have about 48k miles.
Old 12-08-2014, 09:28 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by double r
Hello all,
I am new to the forum. I have a 2010 TL and have a problem with the "crow's feet". I live in Southern California. I thought I was doing something wrong, but I buy the best car wash soap I can afford, and try to keep my car looking nice. However, the paint job is starting to look horrible. What do you recommend? I bought it through Carmax when it had about 9k miles. This started showing up around 30k miles and I now have about 48k miles.
go to the dealer they will offer a repaint.
Old 02-05-2015, 02:32 PM
1st Gear

I am going through the same process right now. I bought a CBP 2010 Acura RDX about 3 weeks ago. Did not notice the crows feet until we had a sunny day and was able to was it and give it a good wax. I live in the Seattle area, so it took a few days to get to it. I was shocked by what i saw. Unfortunately I am not the original owner and I am 7 months over the warranty. I have taken it to the Acura dealership and am waiting for an answer. Frustrating because I traded in my 2013 Acura ILX CBP to get it and it was in perfect condition, I needed AWD back. Really hoping they will do something about the "known" problem they have
Old 02-05-2015, 03:21 PM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts
If they are cracks... it's called crazing.
Old 02-08-2015, 12:40 PM
Pro

Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts
I am not sure what I was supposed to be looking at in those photos but I can say that the quality of the paint on our first Acura (2000 TL) was disappointing. It was painted that dark Monterey Blue Metallic. When the car was fairly new some bird dumped on the hood and I was not able to buff out the imprint but the dealer did some color sanding (I think that was the process) and it looked good as new. Still I thought the finish overall did not hold up very well.

The paint on our 2012 TL seems to be a notch better.
Old 02-11-2015, 08:37 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My 2010 CBP doesn't have this issue so far, but the clear coat is garbage, like its gone in some places and super prone to swirls. I wonder if it has anything to do with the clear coat wearing, then the crows feet thing happens?

I haven't really done a good wax/seal since buying it last month, but still that is only a band aid.
Old 02-12-2015, 06:56 AM
Instructor

Received 154 Likes on 94 Posts
I just noticed the same problem on my CPO CBP 2010... haven't yet gone back to the dealer to complain yet. Luckily, it's just a small patch on the driver's side C pillar area for now.
Old 02-12-2015, 09:09 AM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,484 Likes on 1,048 Posts
Has anyone had this happen on a different colour?
Old 02-12-2015, 09:51 AM
Drifting

Received 554 Likes on 387 Posts
None that I've seen. Only the 2010 CBP's.
Old 02-12-2015, 01:22 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Damn, spoke to soon. I have a small patch on the roof, near the shark fin. Since mine is a 2010, I'm going to assume I am screwed.
Old 08-24-2015, 10:19 AM
Cruisin'

2011 on drivers side passenger door

I've got a strange incident of this myself, expect mine is a CBP from '11 and it's somewhat isolated to the driver's side passenger door. Asked acura about it last time I was in for a final warranty review (it's got 47k on it and warranty lapsed back in late May). Dealer tech told me it was 'acid rain' most likely and could be buffed out... guess not... Going to call Acura corporate and see what they can offer up.

Last edited by jdmassett; 08-24-2015 at 10:22 AM.
Old 08-28-2015, 09:07 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts
in my humble opinion, the resale value is the last thing you would worry in case your car is infected by the infamous crowfeet.

Consider yourself lucky if Acura is taking full responsibility to repaint your whole car. Lot people here still fight with acura and got no luck.
Old 06-29-2016, 06:54 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Just chiming in here with my '11 TL CBP that also has crows feet and defective paint on about 90% of my car. Im at 77k and past my warranty but am contacting acura corp in hopes of getting my car repainted at their cost. I find it ridiculous that I bought this car CPO and they didn't even check the paint properly
Old 08-13-2017, 10:59 AM
Cruisin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Options, opinions?

Hey everyone,

So I also just bought a 10 sh mt in cbp and low and behold after seeing it and then researching it after the fact I too have the crows feet issue. Pretty much widespread.
Previous shop also clearly painted the front bumper in night hawk black pearl lol.

What are my options for this? The dealer limited extended warranty does not cover paint but u think maybe I can opt for full acura care then make a claim?

It's a 2010 with 50k on it, the crows feet doesn't bother me to much, in truth I thought it was part of the crystal 'flake' most pearls have, clearly wrong.

Will the paint get worse of over time?what are other owners that buy these cars from acura used do?
It was not certified pre owned, just pre-owned.

Appreciate the help, advice or facts.