2010 Acura Timing Belt Replace

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 01:18 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 Acura Timing Belt Replace

Guys, my 2010 TL has 129k miles, just bought it yesterday. I have the car fax and it doesn't show the timing belt replacement. The car drives perfectly fine.

Should i go ahead and replace the timing belt? Is there any way to check if it was ever replaced?

Thank you
Old 03-15-2018, 02:09 PM
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 23 Posts
You won’t be able to tell at this point if it was, in fact, done at 105K as recommended. Tough position. It’s an interference design so if it does slip or break there’s a good chance you’ll be shopping for a new motor. If it seems otherwise well maintained, I’d look at the $850 or so as cheap insurance rather than pulling the motor all all the possible problems that naturally come along with that (connections not going back together quite right, chasing grounds or shorts, not knowing the history of the motor you’re buying, etc). IMO anyway.
Old 03-15-2018, 02:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 210 Likes on 158 Posts
Where did you buy it from?

Acura Dealer? Ask them if there are any records of the VIN in the system of when it was done.

Any other random dealer? I'd probably have it replaced as a precaution. Maintenance should always be #1 on the list of things to do and then look at mods. Keeping the car healthy and on the road should be primary concern.

If it was replaced ~20k miles ago you may be able to have a mechanic take a peek and see the condition of the belt.
Old 03-15-2018, 02:52 PM
Drifting

Received 849 Likes on 605 Posts
Erg, that's a crappy situation. Unfortunately, unlike a lot of other parts on the car, inspecting the components such as the belt or tensioner pulley isn't a good way to determine age. In some cases you'll see obvious wear such as cracks in the belt. But when I changed mine, the belt, pump and pulleys looked as good as the new ones. No obvious wear or aging.

Did you buy it from a dealer or private party? Either way, try going back to the dealer, or calling up whoever you bought it from and see if they did the 105K service.
Old 03-15-2018, 03:05 PM
Advanced

I bought it from the Acura dealer in Dayton.

I will ask them to pull all records if they have any. They said it was a customer trade-in couple weeks ago. Car looks and drives flawless. I couldnt see or tell any issues with it.
Old 03-15-2018, 03:24 PM
Advanced

I called the service manager and they said that the timing belt was done before trade in because they would not have taken that trade in if it wasn't or offered a lowered trade in value to their customer to put a new belt.

I am relieved now. Next question, how important is the water pump and how long do they last on the TL?

Don't wanna touch if it ain't broke.
Old 03-15-2018, 04:04 PM
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 23 Posts
Typically the water pump is replaced when the TB is done. If Acura did the job, ask that dealer to pull the invoice. If they didn’t replace the water pump, meh, what are you going to do now? If they didn’t do the service themselves, I’d ask for a writtten statement or ask to see a receipt that it was done. I don’t trust dealers and I am just assuming this service manager is telling you it was done because they don’t want to do it. Once the car is in your hands for awhile, or the TB goes in 25,000 miles, not their problem anymore. If the water pump goes bad at some point before 210K when the next TB is called for, just make sure to do the TB service at the same time since you’ll already be in there. I wouldn’t worry about just the water pump to be honest, if it goes at 180K mikes, as i said, just do the TB then and never worry about it again. I’d worry more the dealer is full of it, but that’s just my opinion. I figure any time after 300K miles it doesn’t make sense to do another TB service as so many other components are nearing the end of their service life, especially since I live in the salt belt in the winter season.

Last edited by WNY PAT; 03-15-2018 at 04:10 PM.
Old 03-15-2018, 04:19 PM
Drifting

Received 849 Likes on 605 Posts
Yeah, the water pump will show some pretty obvious signs if it goes bad. Either overheating, leaking or both. The water pump on these is a super-simple design where essentially the only thing that can go wrong is the seal leaking or the bearing going out. I tore my old water pump bearing down to look at the interior wear and it was very minimal. It's a relatively heavy duty ball bearing and had only a small groove on the bearing ring. That was at about 130K miles as well. I didn't change mine on time

Edit: The potential danger with the water pump is if it leaks on the timing belt, which can drastically reduce the life of the belt. If you want, you can remove the small rubber access tab on the timing belt cover, which is typically used to observe the timing numbers when doing valve jobs, and take a look at the belt. If it's wet or cracked or anything like that, get er changed right away.

Last edited by losiglow; 03-15-2018 at 04:21 PM.
Old 03-15-2018, 09:07 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by losiglow
Yeah, the water pump will show some pretty obvious signs if it goes bad. Either overheating, leaking or both. The water pump on these is a super-simple design where essentially the only thing that can go wrong is the seal leaking or the bearing going out. I tore my old water pump bearing down to look at the interior wear and it was very minimal. It's a relatively heavy duty ball bearing and had only a small groove on the bearing ring. That was at about 130K miles as well. I didn't change mine on time

Edit: The potential danger with the water pump is if it leaks on the timing belt, which can drastically reduce the life of the belt. If you want, you can remove the small rubber access tab on the timing belt cover, which is typically used to observe the timing numbers when doing valve jobs, and take a look at the belt. If it's wet or cracked or anything like that, get er changed right away.
What is the obvious sign that it's about to go out?
Old 03-16-2018, 09:35 PM
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts
I think one day when I replace the timing belt , going to go with the Gates racing timing belt for the fun of it.