'13 Accord Touring or '13 TL Advance?

Old 05-19-2013, 03:23 PM
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by JM2010 SH-AWD
Interesting. Our EX (4 cylinder) has a very quiet, comfortable ride. It's a little softer than I'd prefer (and softer, I think, than past Accords), but it's my wife's car, and she likes it. Does the Touring come with 18 inch wheels? I wonder if that could make such a difference between the EX (which has 17s).
No they are the 17" wheels and I believe I have Michelins. I am going to go back to the dealer to drive another one to see if it is the same, but I am not exaggerating when I say it is so harsh that I am seriously thinking of selling it already. And as I said it's not like I'm not familiar with Hondas and how they ride. Even on the highway, it gets to bobbing up and down. The car NEVER stops jostling me around.
Old 05-19-2013, 04:41 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I absolutely love both the Accord and TL. I drove the Accord EX-L V6 and had a lot of fun but when I drove the 6MT coupe I was astonished. That was an amazing ride and it has lots of torque and power. I am seriously considering the Accord Touring but I really wanna see what the TLX is gonna look lie before I get into buying mode!
Old 05-19-2013, 05:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by 4thaccord
No they are the 17" wheels and I believe I have Michelins. I am going to go back to the dealer to drive another one to see if it is the same, but I am not exaggerating when I say it is so harsh that I am seriously thinking of selling it already. And as I said it's not like I'm not familiar with Hondas and how they ride. Even on the highway, it gets to bobbing up and down. The car NEVER stops jostling me around.
I test drove V6 EX-L twice and never felt it overly firm. Hondas in generally have been firm, part of what I liked about my Acuras.
Old 05-19-2013, 06:17 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by KeithL
I test drove V6 EX-L twice and never felt it overly firm. Hondas in generally have been firm, part of what I liked about my Acuras.
I did too, and obviously wasn't paying close enough attention, because when you live with it every day it becomes really really annoying.

I just read Car and Driver's review of the V6 coupe which at least made me feel like I'm not going crazy: "Parts of this highly caffeinated coupe are a little too amped for the car’s own good, though. The suspension is just plain harsh, causing obnoxious head-toss where it should just be lightly thumping and bumping."

In any event, if the original poster is still reading, it's worth considering during the test drive vs. the TL.
Old 05-19-2013, 07:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
I wonder how much of this is the switch to struts and that they need a few years to dial in the strut based suspension.
Old 05-20-2013, 02:25 AM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
I had a similar decision to make and I know I made the right choice every time I put a DVD-A into my TL's ELS audio system. I can't listen to XM or MP3's or even CD's anymore.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:34 AM
Drifting

Received 563 Likes on 363 Posts
I'd take the car back in for a thorough check. I drove my wife's '13 Accord today, and it is far from harsh-riding. Something has to be terribly wrong with an Accord (sedan at least) that rides as poorly as the poster above has noted.

If I were selecting a car just on ride (cushy being better), I'd take our Accord over my TL. I don't view the TL as too stiff, but you definitely feel more in it than you do in the Accord.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:39 PM
Volvo Defector

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
@g37guy01 She does take notice of other vehicles on the road and asks about them. Her most common question is "Can your TL beat it?" I just laugh as I'm not one for street racing. I do take opinions of those close to me into consideration however.

@Edward`TLS That's exactly it. Brand perception vs. value. As I've gotten older(29), my perception towards brands has changed. I hold a higher priority to value than I do of brand names the older I get. 10 years ago as a teenager it was quite the opposite. However, with that said, spending as much time as I do driving it also comes down to which is the more comfortable car to be on the road. If there's that much of a difference in ride quality I'd be willing to spend more to get the TL instead.

@JM2010 SH-AWD Thank you for your review comparison. Which Accord model did you get?

@graphicguy Oh no, I didnt think we would have to wait that long... That changes things.

@a32tl I hear you. TL Advance black or graphite on black certified preowned is very hard to come by. I saw ONE, contacted the dealer, and they said it sold an hour before, they just didnt update the website inventory yet. I've looked at 2011-2012 TSX(4cyl)/w Tech CPO as well. Still needs premium fuel but 22-31mpg is a slight bump in FE over my TL. I've seen these for around $24-26k certified preowned.

@graphicguy I sat in the RLX at the NY Auto show. I wasn't impressed with the interior materials.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:46 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by reddogTL
@g37guy01 She does take notice of other vehicles on the road and asks about them. Her most common question is "Can your TL beat it?" I just laugh as I'm not one for street racing. I do take opinions of those close to me into consideration however.

@Edward`TLS That's exactly it. Brand perception vs. value. As I've gotten older(29), my perception towards brands has changed. I hold a higher priority to value than I do of brand names the older I get. 10 years ago as a teenager it was quite the opposite. However, with that said, spending as much time as I do driving it also comes down to which is the more comfortable car to be on the road. If there's that much of a difference in ride quality I'd be willing to spend more to get the TL instead.

@JM2010 SH-AWD Thank you for your review comparison. Which Accord model did you get?

@graphicguy Oh no, I didnt think we would have to wait that long... That changes things.

@a32tl I hear you. TL Advance black or graphite on black certified preowned is very hard to come by. I saw ONE, contacted the dealer, and they said it sold an hour before, they just didnt update the website inventory yet. I've looked at 2011-2012 TSX(4cyl)/w Tech CPO as well. Still needs premium fuel but 22-31mpg is a slight bump in FE over my TL. I've seen these for around $24-26k certified preowned.

@graphicguy I sat in the RLX at the NY Auto show. I wasn't impressed with the interior materials.
We have an EX Sedan (4 cylinder) with the 6MT, a pretty rare combo. It's really a very nice car for a daily driver. The gas mileage for a non-hybrid, non-diesel car of its size is amazing.
Old 05-22-2013, 02:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by JM2010 SH-AWD
I'd take the car back in for a thorough check. I drove my wife's '13 Accord today, and it is far from harsh-riding. Something has to be terribly wrong with an Accord (sedan at least) that rides as poorly as the poster above has noted.

If I were selecting a car just on ride (cushy being better), I'd take our Accord over my TL. I don't view the TL as too stiff, but you definitely feel more in it than you do in the Accord.
i can guarantee nothing is wrong with the vehicle, that it's expectations. Kind of like the princess and the pea.
Old 05-22-2013, 04:19 PM
Drifting

^^ Perhaps, but the poster's experience seems so extreme in its description and so varied from the norm that it seems something is wrong. Maybe the tires were left at 40 psi by the dealer. But yes, this is another of those subjective categories - one man's magic carpet ride is another's molar-rattling drive from hell (I guess).
Old 05-22-2013, 06:43 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by g37guy01
i can guarantee nothing is wrong with the vehicle, that it's expectations. Kind of like the princess and the pea.
You can't guarantee anything because you have never driven or even seen my car. I've been driving longer than most posters on here have probably been alive, and it's been Hondas for over 25 of those years. I know whereof I speak.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:30 PM
Burning Brakes

You can't guarantee anything because you have never driven or even seen my car. I've been driving longer than most posters on here have probably been alive, and it's been Hondas for over 25 of those years. I know whereof I speak.
So you think the suspension is defective? Could be the tires are overinflated or tires are just plain old bad.

I think it's very rare for any modern car out of the gate to have a warranty repair on suspension for a rough ride. At least in many, many years of owning cars, I've have never had that happen to me or heard of it happening to anybody. (I suppose some of the arms could be loose or the shocks could be stiff, but in the former I would think one would be hearing clunking. In the latter I would think the car wouldn't handle right if the shock was defective)
Old 05-22-2013, 08:42 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by g37guy01
So you think the suspension is defective? Could be the tires are overinflated or tires are just plain old bad.

I think it's very rare for any modern car out of the gate to have a warranty repair on suspension for a rough ride. At least in many, many years of owning cars, I've have never had that happen to me or heard of it happening to anybody. (I suppose some of the arms could be loose or the shocks could be stiff, but in the former I would think one would be hearing clunking. In the latter I would think the car wouldn't handle right if the shock was defective)
http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews..._march_update/

Thanks for your input.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Ahhh. So it is the shocks.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:05 AM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
so many comparisons can be made..2011 RL or 2013 TL?
Old 05-24-2013, 08:51 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 383 Likes on 239 Posts
Originally Posted by bigcocoon
so many comparisons can be made..2011 RL or 2013 TL?

TL for me.
Old 06-15-2013, 03:13 AM
Banned

Received 113 Likes on 91 Posts
Also rumor has it from good sources that the TLX will have a 4/6cyl option which will bring up the mpg on the K24 DI inline with Accord but with more power.
Old 06-15-2013, 03:21 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by ParaSurfer1979
Also rumor has it from good sources that the TLX will have a 4/6cyl option which will bring up the mpg on the K24 DI inline with Accord but with more power.
What are 'good sources?'

I wouldn't mind a 4cyl TLX but I'd expect Acura will dumb down that version of the car so you can't get certain features unless you get the V6. When do you think car manufactures will realize fuel efficiency is a feature some customers want and not at the expense of convenience features.

An example is that on the new Accord you can get the Touring Trim with a 4cyl in Canada, but in the US you can only get it with the V6.

I'd also expect a hybrid version of the TLX with the new Honda Hybrid tech that will be in the Accord. This new tech looks to give even the Prius a run for its money with decent performance.
Old 06-15-2013, 04:05 PM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
Originally Posted by ParaSurfer1979
If the I4-engine rumor is true, then a 250hp supercharged 2.4L-I4 would be a good choice as the base engine; since the new TLX is smaller and lighter than the 4G TL and thus doesn't need as powerful the engine as previous.