AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   4G TL (2009-2014) (https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-2009-2014-123/)
-   -   09 SHAWD Seriously Loud Idle Engine Noise (https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-2009-2014-123/09-shawd-seriously-loud-idle-engine-noise-978810/)

dip10 04-16-2019 07:28 PM

09 SHAWD Seriously Loud Idle Engine Noise

Posting here to get some advice on what's wrong with my engine.
I have a 2009 SWAWD with only 158KM or 98K miles on it. Car has has not been driven a lot the past 2 years since we've got a Ford Focus Electric. My daily commute is only 5 miles both ways. With the exception of a car battery and tires, brake pads, the TL has been rock solid for 8 years of ownership.
I usually heard the loud diesel sounding noise from the engine since I've bought it but it always went away after a short drive. Since the start of this year, the noise has is increased and is constant at each idle and does not go away. I thought I would change the oil at 50% since it was a year old but it did not help. I did a search and possible cause is the timing belt pulley? I'm getting close to my timing belt change interval. The only engine mod I've done was the pre cat delete 3 years ago.
What's the possible cause? Here is the noise video.
Thanks for the input.

thoiboi 04-16-2019 07:32 PM

Sounds like valve chatter (valve adjustment needed)

it MIGHT be the timing belt tensioner pulley as well

csmeance 04-16-2019 10:38 PM

oil becomes acidic over time and should be changed every year at a minimum regardless of miles! The 3.7L engines have a history of burning oil and having oil consumption. With cold starts and a minimal drive with the oil not reaching temperature you could have issues with the oil being diluted with fuel.

Now that you've changed the oil it's best to drive it more and see if it's consuming oil. 1quart/1k or more oil s about the american standard for engine replacement but in canada it could be 1L/800km or something of the nature not sure of the exact amounts.

Anicra 04-18-2019 11:31 PM

Belt something tensioner etc Valves /cam doing that wore down look ...Did just get louder or was it sudden?
Rare possibility my personal favorite - PURGE CONTROL SOLENOID! However usually more clacky sounding when it fails.
Sound deepish - tell us when you discover the answer!

dip10 04-19-2019 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Anicra (Post 16413612)
Belt something tensioner etc Valves /cam doing that wore down look ...Did just get louder or was it sudden?
Rare possibility my personal favorite - PURGE CONTROL SOLENOID! However usually more clacky sounding when it fails.
Sound deepish - tell us when you discover the answer!

The sound was always present at each startup but went away after driving for a few minutes. I don't think it's the solenoid as I have no check engine lights or performance loss.
I hit VTEC yesterday and all was fine but was terrified that something could snap at any moment if its the timing belt pulleys. I think I'll order Aisin timing belt kit and have it installed since the schedule is approaching.

Anicra 04-19-2019 02:05 PM

My purge control solenoid is highly doubtful plus you can unplug it to eliminate it - where is the sound the loudest?

alxhastngs 04-20-2019 07:17 AM

If you do end up pulling the valve covers to try a valve adjustment, check the cam lobes for wear.

It sounds too fast of a tick to be a single cam lobe but I don't know how it has progressed.

Acura replaced my rear cam shaft and a single lifter due to excessive cam wear that was causing a loud ticking at idle.

ImStillSOLO 04-25-2019 11:42 AM

What’s going on? It’s your timing belt and tensioner that need to be changed. Nothing to do with oil and cold starts. I had the same exact problem on my 09 shawd around the same mileage as you. I bought the entire kit waterpump kit and had it done in the shop. No noise again.

Originally Posted by dip10 (Post 16412344)
Posting here to get some advice on what's wrong with my engine.
I have a 2009 SWAWD with only 158KM or 98K miles on it. Car has has not been driven a lot the past 2 years since we've got a Ford Focus Electric. My daily commute is only 5 miles both ways. With the exception of a car battery and tires, brake pads, the TL has been rock solid for 8 years of ownership.
I usually heard the loud diesel sounding noise from the engine since I've bought it but it always went away after a short drive. Since the start of this year, the noise has is increased and is constant at each idle and does not go away. I thought I would change the oil at 50% since it was a year old but it did not help. I did a search and possible cause is the timing belt pulley? I'm getting close to my timing belt change interval. The only engine mod I've done was the pre cat delete 3 years ago.
What's the possible cause? Here is the noise video.
Thanks for the input.
Idle Engine noise

bigwavedave25 05-01-2019 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by ImStillSOLO (Post 16416517)
What’s going on? It’s your timing belt and tensioner that need to be changed. Nothing to do with oil and cold starts. I had the same exact problem on my 09 shawd around the same mileage as you. I bought the entire kit waterpump kit and had it done in the shop. No noise again.

I second this!
My 3.5L Accord was making the same sound at startup at around 92k miles. The sound would go away after driving a few miles (car warmed up), but would always come back on cold starts. I was afraid it was valve related, but it definitely was the hydraulic tensioner for the timing belt. Those have a tendency to start leaking and cause the belt to slap against the tensioner pulley. I replaced it with the extra hands of my father-in-law and she purrs like a kitten now once again. Wasn't too hard of a job for us, there are plenty of youtube videos to guide you if you are so inclined to do the job yourself. I recommend the South Main Auto video Eric O. made with a Pilot (same basic Jseries config) lots of good tips.

We have interference engines, so best to change it out (I recommend the whole Aisin kit including the water pump and additional serp belt plus coolant flush) before the belt skips timing. Good luck!

Unknownerror0010011 05-01-2019 09:23 PM

Its the timing belt tensioner you should buy the whole kit and replace everything ( water pump, tensioner, pulleys, and timing belt). I have had two of these fail on me first OEM one at 150,000km second at 170,000 im hoping it was just a bad part the i got and thats why it failed after i fixed it, and not another problem with the J37. It cost me $700CAD to do the job this time. The first time i did it myself for around $500 not including the tow to the shop space i rented.

dip10 05-03-2019 07:34 PM

Update: Had the timing belt kit installed today and the sound is gone. It was the hydraulic tensioner after all. $740 all in. Here is a picture of the timing belt that come off, looks new still probably good for another 100KM. Oh well, no more feeling embarrassed at a traffic light.
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...8976336913.jpg
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...240d30bf2e.jpg

Anicra 05-03-2019 09:11 PM

Congrats, that always makes one feel better, when the ride is the way you want it to be.

djm0rph 10-08-2019 02:56 PM

Same problem

I had the same issue with mine. I took it to 1 shop and they told me i need a new engine. I told them specifically that the tensioner was the issue and they said there was no way that could be. The second place i took it to believed me a little more and fixed the issue. This is all due to your help on here. Thanks