Sponsored by: DashLynx
View Poll Results: Was this a good buy?
Hellz ya
52.00%
Its alright
26.00%
meh
12.00%
You got taken to the cleaners on this one bud..
10.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

The $7000 4th Gen Acura TL Tech Project!

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2016, 08:32 PM
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 75 Posts
Well, I replaced the passenger side low beam headlight tonight and no more blinking!

After I replaced it I took it for a drive and the passenger side of the car was noticeably brighter. When driving in the heavy rain tonight I could see much better on the side with the new bulb which I didn't expect @ all for something that cost $12.50. I think I might pick up another set in a couple of months if they are still working as our odyssey uses the same bulbs. I guess the only question now is how long will they last?

The bulb that came out was OSRAM. Wondering if these were original OEM or if the previous owner replaced them. Here are some pics of the bad bulb that came out:

The new bulb is more of a white color, which I do like more. For some reason it just seems newer IMO. Here is a crappy pic in the rain. Left side is New bulb:

Here's a shot of the garage door from inside the car.. New bulb on the right is much brighter and more of a white color.

I kind of hate to replace the working bulb on the drivers side since I'd just be throwing a good bulb away. I think the best thing at this point is to leave the drivers side alone, see if this bulb still works in a month or two. If so I'll swap out the driver side as well, if not I have another one handy so at least I can drive @ night without getting pulled over until I get a good set. Who knows these might actually be decent bulbs.
The following users liked this post:
Curious3GTL (01-26-2017)
Old 12-18-2016, 11:31 PM
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
[QUOTE=atomlinks;15911158]Well, I thought I'd swap these out just to see if the TPMS works. Should be a 10 minute job and I can't even put one of the brand used wheels on. Apparently I don't have a socket that fits either. Had to put the old wheel back on. Thinking I probably need some thin wall socket? or new lug nuts? I have no idea at this point but I'll probably take some investigating. What did I get myself into lol I have no idea what I'm doing.

I know your pain Danielsan in my Mr. Miyagi voice. There's a shop in Sacramento called 1320 Performance. They got a pretty good selection for our lug pattern. Look them up on Ebay to find the best deals. If you see the color you like & it says "Or Best Offer" do what you gotta do... I got the gold ones for $40 (which hasn't even faded yet)
I made the call & said i seen it ebay for x amount & told them I'm from out of state so he was like alright I'll do it so i had one of my buddies pick it up for me at their shop.
Here's the link
http://1320performancestore.com/Neo%20chrome%20lug%20nuts%20extended%20version
Wish I had time like you to get down & dirty but my job been taking away all my free time, but your doing a phenomenal job!
atomlinks (12-19-2016)
Old 12-19-2016, 04:40 PM
Racer

Thx Mr Miyagi. I called tirerack previously and they sell them for 75¢ each + shipping. They get them from McGard... N31 Conical seat 14x1.5 thread nut with a closed, 19mm head ,a total thread length of 34mm, and a 60degree taper. Can get them in chrome or black chrome.
Old 12-19-2016, 11:24 PM
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by atomlinks
Thx Mr Miyagi. I called tirerack previously and they sell them for 75¢ each + shipping. They get them from McGard... N31 Conical seat 14x1.5 thread nut with a closed, 19mm head ,a total thread length of 34mm, and a 60degree taper. Can get them in chrome or black chrome.
Nice find
Old 01-05-2017, 11:08 PM
Racer

Car is still running great, but i was going through the system msg's and noticed that there was a low oil warning from about 3 weeks ago that I missed. I got it home and checked it out about 2 hours after parking and the oil level was perfectly fine, exactly on the top line of the dipstick. It is a little dark but it's only been 5k miles since the last oil full synthetic oil change. Should have a few thousand more miles on the oil but I may just go ahead an change the oil since I haven't done it yet.

But, that's not why I'm writing this. After pulling the dipstick for the oil I thought I'd check the ATF fluid. I pulled the dipstick for the transmission I got a loud hissing noise, like I was letting the air out of tires or an air tank. I've never experienced this before and wonder if it is something that I should worry about?
Old 01-07-2017, 08:18 PM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Enjoying this. Please keep posting updates of your TL saga!
atomlinks (01-08-2017)
Old 01-08-2017, 03:44 PM
Racer

Thx yz! I'm sure i'll have more posts in the the spring/summer. Right now it's been so cold out that I can't really do much unless I get a good heater or something for the garage. I'd like to get a heater to bring up the temp in the garage quickly and use a smaller heater to maintain the heat while I'm working on stuff, but I'm not sure which route I will be going or if I'll get a big heater. Thinking either kerosene or propane, but it's something that can't take up too much room.

The TL is definitely getting more use than our odyssey now for in town errands and things. We just love driving it!
Old 01-21-2017, 01:30 PM
Racer

Well I started getting a low oil warning the last few days again. The oil level is perfectly fine. Looks like I'm going to tackle this one. I've ordered a couple of things to try and fix her up.

Honda Part # 37240r72a01 - Oil pressure sensor $23
Honda Bond Part 08718-0004 $9.77 (and I just need a little dab of the stuff)
Bosch D3323 High Performance Oil Filter $14 (I know its quite expensive, but I'm OK with giving her a little more love if there is a slight chance this really is a better filter).
Of course Mobil 1 Full Synthetic - First oil change I've done on this car. And it's the first oil change that I've done in about 10-15 years(Paying someone $18 was just more convenient).

I haven't seen any walk through of the Oil pressure sensor on a 4th Gen 3.5 FWD, so I'll try to take some pictures of the process(Unless my searching abilities aren't that great and someone can point me in the right direction) :-)

The order should be here in a few days. Hopefully this solves the annoying issue!
Old 01-21-2017, 09:35 PM
Racer

I ordered a car cellphone holder a couple weeks ago and tonight was the first time that I installed and used it. I am really impressed with this thing so I thought I'd post it. It's an iOttie Easy One Touch 3 and fits perfectly on a 4G TL with Tech. I can reach it easily and the suction works really well. The nice thing about this one is that you can use 1 hand to put it in the cradle and one hand to pinch the sides and take it right out. I'm going to order another one for our Odyssey for sure.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BZC262Q/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here's a pic of it mounted(plz excuse the dust I need to clean the interior) :-)

BTW it is holding my Nexus 6(pretty big phone) and still has a little room to spare.

Last edited by atomlinks; 01-21-2017 at 09:39 PM. Reason: Including phone model that is in the picture.
Old 01-22-2017, 06:23 PM
Racer

I put some fresh Mobil 1 Full Synthetic in the TL today and boy was that oil dark! I'm going to wait until I get the msg. again about low oil level to change out the sensor. I won't really know if that "fixes" the issue or if a fresh oil change did so It's probably better to wait on the sensor. It's already ordered and coming in on Tuesday so I'll have it if needed.

I was able to clear all of the system msg's today as well. Holding down the GUIDE MENU CANCEL buttons at the same time brought me to this diagnostic screen, from there I went to the XM location and was able to reset the system msg's. Now no messages appear. Found this link on the wonderful acurazine site(for the 3g, but similar for 4g)
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-a...delete-772077/
Old 01-23-2017, 03:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 210 Likes on 158 Posts
I put some fresh Mobil 1 Full Synthetic in the TL today and boy was that oil dark! I'm going to wait until I get the msg. again about low oil level to change out the sensor. I won't really know if that "fixes" the issue or if a fresh oil change did so It's probably better to wait on the sensor. It's already ordered and coming in on Tuesday so I'll have it if needed.

I was able to clear all of the system msg's today as well. Holding down the GUIDE MENU CANCEL buttons at the same time brought me to this diagnostic screen, from there I went to the XM location and was able to reset the system msg's. Now no messages appear. Found this link on the wonderful acurazine site(for the 3g, but similar for 4g)
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-a...delete-772077/
Color does not indicate oil performance.
Old 01-23-2017, 06:04 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan
Color does not indicate oil performance.
I agree, but I'm wondering why it was so dark after 5k miles. On my other cars it usually still has an amber color to it. I found the receipt from the last oil change(oil change done @ honda dealer) and I'm wondering if it really got Full Synthetic. I didn't have the oil change done, it was taken to the honda dealer by the place that sold me the car. Line item has SB5W20 - first thought is Synthetic Blend. 15.75 for 5 quarts of full synthetic? Cheapest I have found is $23. I'm not sure if the previous owner used Full Synthetic or not either, all I see on the carfax is "Oil and Filter changed"

Old 01-24-2017, 08:25 AM
Burning Brakes

I agree, but I'm wondering why it was so dark after 5k miles. On my other cars it usually still has an amber color to it. I found the receipt from the last oil change(oil change done @ honda dealer) and I'm wondering if it really got Full Synthetic. I didn't have the oil change done, it was taken to the honda dealer by the place that sold me the car. Line item has SB5W20 - first thought is Synthetic Blend. 15.75 for 5 quarts of full synthetic? Cheapest I have found is $23. I'm not sure if the previous owner used Full Synthetic or not either, all I see on the carfax is "Oil and Filter changed"
If it's a dealer it means it was likely bulk oil they have so the cost is lower.

~$25 gets you a 5qt jug of Penzoil Platinum (which is a great oil) from Walmart. I don't think it's far fetched that a dealer's cost (who bulk buys oil) would be cheaper.

If you're genuinely curious on performance I'd recommend Blackstone Labs - send them samples and they'll measure the consistency at different mileage intervals
atomlinks (01-24-2017)
Old 01-24-2017, 09:47 PM
Racer

Thanks man. Did a little research on Penzoil Platinum, looks to be a very good oil. I'm still a fan of Mobil 1, next time I'll be switching to Mobil 1 Extended Performance for a few more bucks. I usually get it at Walmart as well. A few months ago I picked it up for $23, usually its $25. The M1 EP is $28 and from what I'm hearing it uses a better base oil? I checked out that Blackstone Labs and ordered a test kit. I am curious to see what their report comes back with, even if I only do it once it would be interesting.
Old 01-25-2017, 05:16 AM
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Thanks man. Did a little research on Penzoil Platinum, looks to be a very good oil. I'm still a fan of Mobil 1, next time I'll be switching to Mobil 1 Extended Performance for a few more bucks. I usually get it at Walmart as well. A few months ago I picked it up for $23, usually its $25. The M1 EP is $28 and from what I'm hearing it uses a better base oil? I checked out that Blackstone Labs and ordered a test kit. I am curious to see what their report comes back with, even if I only do it once it would be interesting.
Pennzoil Ultra is the personal choice outside of Eneos/Sustina for me. Take a look at Pennzoil Ultra if your in the market.
atomlinks (01-25-2017)
Old 01-25-2017, 11:01 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CruzanTLSH-AWD
Pennzoil Ultra is the personal choice outside of Eneos/Sustina for me. Take a look at Pennzoil Ultra if your in the market.
Yep, Penzoil Ultra is better however not as readily available as Platinum even though a handful of Walmarts will stock Ultra.

BITOG users seem to have good results with PP and it's relatively cheap.
atomlinks (01-25-2017)
Old 01-31-2017, 08:32 PM
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 23 Posts
At 230K I'd love to see a Blackstone report on the motor. �� I plan on keeping mine and passing it along to the kids when they're old enough to drive. It'll probably have about 100K-120K on it at that point. I hope they will keep it well beyond 200K miles as I've done all the maintaniance in an ultra anal manner (Mobil 1 and high end filters every 5K-6K; rear diff, transfer case, and transmission once each year plus I'll be doing the 3X transmission at 60K. Mine only has 43000 on it now so it'll be a good case study.
Old 01-31-2017, 10:09 PM
Racer

I ordered a test kit last week and its here! My plan is to change the oil at around 5,200 miles(might take a few months as we don't drive that much). I can compare my sample analysis # with the universal averages which are also tested using 5,200 miles.

The kit was free to order, when you send it in for analysis it is $28. Blackstone Labs

I'd love to pass this car on to my kids as well, but that's about 10 years away for me. Maybe self-driving cars will be the thing by then :-) Surely keeping up with maintenance on these cars they have the potential to go many many miles. I just did a 1x ATF change on our Odyssey the other day, I might start doing that every other oil change instead of waiting for the 3x on both of our vehicles.

This is what you receive in the mail for the blackstone test kit:
TheMuffinMan (01-31-2017)
Old 02-13-2017, 04:44 PM
Racer

I have been getting a grinding noise on startup lately. It happened a couple of other times when the cold weather hit but it is happening more often now after the car sits overnight(enough for me to worry). It doesn't have a hard time starting @ all, just a really loud grinding and annoying noise on startup. From what I've read through some research is that it is the starter motor gear not retracting after startup or something. I'm guessing I could open it up and lube down the shaft but I saw one on Ebay for $50 so I went that route. vs $350 new OEM

It is coming out of a 2014 Honda Pilot. Looks like it had impact on the passenger side and rolled, maybe hit from behind as well so hopefully the starter is alright on this one. Not sure about the passengers, looks scary hope they made it out alright.

Old 02-14-2017, 12:22 AM
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
Damn, I love modern engineering. That cabin looks relatively undamaged. A bit bent but for the most part it looks survivable. I wonder what happened to that car. Hope both sides were fine.

Atom, do you have a running total of what you've put into the car? It honestly sounds like you're having fun regardless of the cost, and truthfully that's basically what matters, right? Haha.
Old 02-14-2017, 01:34 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Blaze9
Damn, I love modern engineering. That cabin looks relatively undamaged. A bit bent but for the most part it looks survivable. I wonder what happened to that car. Hope both sides were fine.

Atom, do you have a running total of what you've put into the car? It honestly sounds like you're having fun regardless of the cost, and truthfully that's basically what matters, right? Haha.
I asked the seller of the starter what happened and he wasn't sure about the passengers and I really don't want to know unless they are all ok, but ya it is amazing how well the cabin held up.

$1,622 is the total for all the parts/fluids etc that it needed.

I spent $667 on things that I wanted and $382 for tools if you include those. So all in still around 10 grand for everything.

I do enjoy working on the car and absolutely love driving it! We drive it daily around town while our Odyssey just sits unless all 6 of us need to go somewhere :-)
Old 02-16-2017, 08:14 PM
Racer

The brand-used starter came today! I put it in tonight and it took me a couple of hours. The main problem that I had was getting the gasket to stay on when putting it into position which was a little frustrating with my big hands. Next time I would probably try to put some tape on both sides of the gasket, get it into position, then take the tape off and push it all the way on and snug it down. I wish I had smaller hands, they just aren't right to do these kinds of things!

The good news is that I didn't hear any grinding on startup! The 2014 Honda Pilot that it came off of only had 33k miles so hopefully it lasts for a while.

Here is a picture of the one that came out. I tested it with jumper cables and it worked, but when it retracted I could tell it was having a hard time. Here you can see its just stuck to the right and didn't move freely on the shaft. I probably could have cleaned it up, but feel better having a newer one.

This is the gasket(which the Honda parts dept had a very hard time finding for whatever reason) Seemed to be a metal gasket, I could have just used the one that came out and saved $7 though. The service manual says to replace it so that's what I did.
Old 02-16-2017, 09:43 PM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
You can smear a thin layer of grease on gaskets to get them to stick until you install the part they are sealing.

It's good that you replaced it.
atomlinks (02-20-2017)
Old 02-20-2017, 09:37 PM
Racer

^ I thought about that but probably would have made more of a mess. It's got 2 pins that stick out and holes for them on the gasket so it seats properly and those seem to be fine on the old starter gasket to hold it on the starter. The new gasket was more loose on those pins and if i hit the edge on anything it would just come off. Since it was a metal gasket I didn't apply anything, but maybe that's just for something like a head gasket where it should be dry. Really the thing should have stayed on with those pins but its just such a tight space on these honda's to do anything.

She is starting great now, no more annoying noise!

But, I did notice another small issue recently.. I've got a blown front driver side speaker. Seems like it's a common issue and while going through the audio controls tonight I can see why. It seems like there's more juice going to those front 6.5 speakers than the rear. So you've got the front 6.5 speakers in the doors and some small tweeters in the A-pillar. For the rear you have the same 6.5 speakers(I'm assuming) and a pair of 3.5's in the rear doors. I'm not going to go all out on a complete system, probably just replace them with some 6.5's that would be better than stock. Looking at the Polk Audio db651 pair from Crutchfield for $60
Old 02-21-2017, 05:43 AM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
WOW, i love reading this thread and can appreciate when someone goes all in on their project. Nothing wrong at all with getting your hands dirty to not only save yourself lots of money but also is a hell of a learning experience! Well done on all the work you have put into your TL, can't wait to read more about your adventures Good luck pal.
atomlinks (02-21-2017)
Old 02-21-2017, 07:06 PM
Racer

Thanks man, It's been fun experience so far, good to tinker with this stuff. I'm enjoying looking around @ speakers, in the past I probably would have spent a good $400-500 on one pair of component speakers and for a complete system probably as much as I paid for this TL. But i'm not 20 years old anymore and I really like the sound of the stock TL @ the levels that I like to listen to now.

It seems like the majority of sound is coming from those front 2 speakers so maybe I should go with a little nicer pair... I had a chat with a guy from Crutchfield and he was recommending the Infinity Primus PR6502is with stock head unit. I haven't listened to any of these yet, but both of them should be better than what was in there. Still looking...
Old 02-21-2017, 07:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
Thanks man, It's been fun experience so far, good to tinker with this stuff. I'm enjoying looking around @ speakers, in the past I probably would have spent a good $400-500 on one pair of component speakers and for a complete system probably as much as I paid for this TL. But i'm not 20 years old anymore and I really like the sound of the stock TL @ the levels that I like to listen to now.

It seems like the majority of sound is coming from those front 2 speakers so maybe I should go with a little nicer pair... I had a chat with a guy from Crutchfield and he was recommending the Infinity Primus PR6502is with stock head unit. I haven't listened to any of these yet, but both of them should be better than what was in there. Still looking...
IMO the factory tweeters are a bit harsh, maybe some silk dome's would help out! Love reading the thread! Keep up the great work!
atomlinks (02-21-2017)
Old 02-21-2017, 08:16 PM
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
But, I did notice another small issue recently.. I've got a blown front driver side speaker. Seems like it's a common issue and while going through the audio controls tonight I can see why. It seems like there's more juice going to those front 6.5 speakers than the rear. So you've got the front 6.5 speakers in the doors and some small tweeters in the A-pillar. For the rear you have the same 6.5 speakers(I'm assuming) and a pair of 3.5's in the rear doors. I'm not going to go all out on a complete system, probably just replace them with some 6.5's that would be better than stock. Looking at the Polk Audio db651 pair from Crutchfield for $60
Keep us updated on this. I would love to know how those polks sound against the stock system. I have the ELS and while I think it sounds pretty good, I've heard better in other companies like Lexus. 60 bucks for a noticeable upgrade is well worth it.
Old 02-21-2017, 08:49 PM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
Are both sets of these speakers 2 ohms? I like the sound of the factory speakers but if i could upgrade the sound for a few dollars i would do it in a second
Old 02-21-2017, 09:56 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by csmeance
IMO the factory tweeters are a bit harsh, maybe some silk dome's would help out! Love reading the thread! Keep up the great work!
Thx! I hear ya on the tweeters, they sound alright so far, but I probably have some hearing loss:-) I'm also a fan of klipsch for home audio and those can be a bit much on the high end for some.

Originally Posted by Blaze9
Keep us updated on this. I would love to know how those polks sound against the stock system. I have the ELS and while I think it sounds pretty good, I've heard better in other companies like Lexus. 60 bucks for a noticeable upgrade is well worth it.
From watching a few youtube vids they seem like they sound pretty good for the $ - not sure what I'm going with, mainly was drawn to them b/c its $40 off $100 set :-)

Originally Posted by myacuratl10
Are both sets of these speakers 2 ohms? I like the sound of the factory speakers but if i could upgrade the sound for a few dollars i would do it in a second
polk is 4ohm, infinity is 3ohm. I'd like to hear from anyone that has upgraded their TL with a 4 ohm. I asked the crutchfield guy what 2ohm's they have and he pointed me to the Infinity Kappa 62.11i (but those are $170.. tempting) and I'm not really sure how good they would sound with the stock amp.
Old 02-22-2017, 06:51 AM
Instructor

our cars come with 2 ohm speakers, If you put 4 ohm in your going to lose volume. At 4 ohms your only getting half the power to the speaker.
atomlinks (02-22-2017)
Old 02-22-2017, 07:24 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,915 Likes on 14,457 Posts

higher ohm = higher resistance

don't go 4 unless you are upgrading your amplificador.
atomlinks (02-22-2017)
Old 02-22-2017, 07:07 PM
Racer

Thanks guys. I do want the 2 ohm but choices seem to be limited. 3 or 4 ohm would work fine but I agree it's best to stick with what the stock amp can push @ 2 ohms to get the most out of it. Is it really only 20 Watt RMS per channel on the stock headunit?

Here are the 2 ohm choices that I could find:

JBL GTO638 6.5-Inch 3-Way 60Watt RMS each $70
https://www.amazon.com/GTO638-6-5-Inch-3-Way-Speakers-Pair/dp/B003KN2TF8/ref=lp_760560_1_7?s=car&ie=UTF8&qid=1487798449&sr=1-7 https://www.amazon.com/GTO638-6-5-Inch-3-Way-Speakers-Pair/dp/B003KN2TF8/ref=lp_760560_1_7?s=car&ie=UTF8&qid=1487798449&sr=1-7

Infinity Reference 6030cs 75Watt RMS each $85
https://www.amazon.com/Infinity-Reference-6-5-Inch-270-Watt-Component/dp/B002BS5YAA/ref=sr_1_2?s=car&ie=UTF8&qid=1487800231&sr=1-2&keywords=Infinity+6032cf https://www.amazon.com/Infinity-Reference-6-5-Inch-270-Watt-Component/dp/B002BS5YAA/ref=sr_1_2?s=car&ie=UTF8&qid=1487800231&sr=1-2&keywords=Infinity+6032cf

Infinity Kappa 62.11i 75Watt RMS each $120
https://www.amazon.com/Infinity-Kappa-62-11I-6-5-Inch-Speakers/dp/B009GHQX5O/ref=sr_1_1?s=car&ie=UTF8&qid=1487798990&sr=1-1&keywords=+Infinity+Kappa+62.11i https://www.amazon.com/Infinity-Kappa-62-11I-6-5-Inch-Speakers/dp/B009GHQX5O/ref=sr_1_1?s=car&ie=UTF8&qid=1487798990&sr=1-1&keywords=+Infinity+Kappa+62.11i

Infinity Kappa 62.11cs 90Watt RMS each $164
https://www.amazon.com/Infinity-Kappa-60-11CS-component-speaker/dp/B00B41LZ1M/ref=sr_1_2?s=car&ie=UTF8&qid=1487799048&sr=1-2&keywords=Infinity+Kappa+62.11i https://www.amazon.com/Infinity-Kappa-60-11CS-component-speaker/dp/B00B41LZ1M/ref=sr_1_2?s=car&ie=UTF8&qid=1487799048&sr=1-2&keywords=Infinity+Kappa+62.11i

I really have never hear good things about JBL but the reviews aren't too bad on the GTO638 . I'm leaning toward the JBL now because it's 2 ohms and lower RMS should be more efficient I'm guessing...
Old 02-22-2017, 07:45 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Was in the same situation... My passenger door speaker is blown. I took the speakers out of my honda accord and transferred them to the TL (ELS system). They were high end infiniti kappas from years ago, 2 ohm. For some reason they did not sound as good as stock. They had huge magnets in comparison and I feel like the stock amp couldn't drive them to their potential. (I had them amped in my old honda) I ended up doing a hack job with super glue to get the old speaker working again. That lasted a couple months and that repair failed so I'm going to buy a replacement speaker from acura. Its $60 so i'm not too concerned.
atomlinks (02-22-2017)
Old 02-22-2017, 08:04 PM
Instructor

Maybe just find a used factory speaker? Did you look in the audio section to see what speakers people are using and what type of reviews they are giving?
atomlinks (02-22-2017)
Old 02-22-2017, 09:39 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by JoelHondaTL
Was in the same situation... My passenger door speaker is blown. I took the speakers out of my honda accord and transferred them to the TL (ELS system). They were high end infiniti kappas from years ago, 2 ohm. For some reason they did not sound as good as stock. They had huge magnets in comparison and I feel like the stock amp couldn't drive them to their potential. (I had them amped in my old honda) I ended up doing a hack job with super glue to get the old speaker working again. That lasted a couple months and that repair failed so I'm going to buy a replacement speaker from acura. Its $60 so i'm not too concerned.
The part number that I found on an Acura parts site had Part# 39120TK4A51 for $28.97. Of course I was able to find the same part# on a local honda site for $21.50 per speaker and you can buy them separately so maybe I should just do that. I'm just afraid it'll have the same issue later on down the road.

Originally Posted by myacuratl10
Maybe just find a used factory speaker? Did you look in the audio section to see what speakers people are using and what type of reviews they are giving?
I looked around a bit and a couple of the speakers in my list came from a few 4g threads from a few years back. Someone mentioned the JBL sounded good on stock.
Old 02-23-2017, 01:04 AM
Intermediate

The part number that I found on an Acura parts site had Part# 39120TK4A51 for $28.97. Of course I was able to find the same part# on a local honda site for $21.50 per speaker and you can buy them separately so maybe I should just do that. I'm just afraid it'll have the same issue later on down the road.
I think that's in USD. I'm in Canada, so it will be more up here and its direct from the dealer. Are those prices direct from Acura or a reseller?
Old 02-23-2017, 01:16 AM
Racer

There is an Acura Dealership and Honda Dealership close to where I live. Both owned by the same group. https://www.parkacuraoemparts.com/ is where I look up the acura part #'s, then I head over to their similar honda website and enter the part # and the same parts are always cheaper https://parkhondaoemparts.com/ I pick the order up from their regular parts desk.

Found a pic of the part# 39120TK4A51
The following 2 users liked this post by atomlinks:
JoelHondaTL (02-23-2017), myacuratl10 (02-23-2017)
Old 02-23-2017, 01:21 AM
Intermediate

Wow you have much better options in the states. Thanks though! I'll see if I can get a similar price from my local Honda dealer.
Old 02-23-2017, 08:47 PM
Racer

I am thoroughly confused now. I was looking at the 09-10 TL service manual. It says if you have Navigation the speaker should be 2ohms, without nav it is 4ohms? So are the speakers between the Navigation and Non Nav different? And part#39120TK4A51... which one is it?

Here is what I'm talking about:

Also, the tweeter says it should be 6 ohm? Previously people were mentioning tweets were 2 ohm as well.

Also, the wiring looks like these are run in parallel from what is in the service manual. (which means the amp needs to be able to handle either 1.5ohm or 2.4ohm if you have navigation or not)

Last edited by atomlinks; 02-23-2017 at 08:50 PM.

Quick Reply: The $7000 4th Gen Acura TL Tech Project!