1G TSX 6 speed vs 3G TL 6 speed

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2017, 12:34 AM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Exclamation 1G TSX 6 speed vs 3G TL 6 speed

anyone have experiences owning both? what are your thoughts between the two? i just recently bought both of them (Clean titles, good maintenance history, completely stock) because they were too good to pass up... obviously it's unpractical to own both because i don't need both of them, but i'm so torn on deciding between the two to see which i should keep!

from my view, the tsx 6 speed is more forgiving. of course, it's not as powerful compared to the v6 TL, so it doesn't jump or accidentally burn rubber as easily. the tsx transitioning between gears seems easier (forgiving again) than the tl (which might be due to the weird valve thingy in the clutch cylinder, i'm not sure). but the TL, with just a little extra pressure on the gas pedal, it just GOES without any effort. my problem is deciding whether i want to maneuver better in a smaller car, or have a faster car that drives like a boat haha.

here's my quick comparison:

TSX pros:
- smaller, more nimble, easier to park and maneuver
- more forgiving tranny (accelerating and shifting between gears)
- leather seems to hold up and be more sturdy than the TL
- TSX travels has put over 500,000 miles on his TSX, so reliability seems to be better
- timing chain (cheaper maintenance?)

TL pros:
- more comfortable ride (absorbs bumps better, drives smoother, quieter cabin)
- stock sound system is plenty good
- bigger, more leg room for passengers and belongings
- looks better in my opinion (w/ Type S makeover of course)
Old 11-29-2017, 01:32 AM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Wow, you ended up buying both? haha lucky you. I was torn between both myself before i purchased my 06 TL MT. I test drove both pretty extensively. And i know a few friends that have TSX's. If both were in the exact same condition and mileage, it would really depend on the owner to decide which best suits them. But I can still chime in on a few pros/cons..
-The TSX has TONS of aftermarket support compared to the TL. Not saying the TL doesn't have aftermarket support, but the K-series motor has tons of upgrade options(and potential). . Also, the gas mileage =]
-The TL seems to be the better Luxury car. Interior seems to be better quality and quieter. Heavy, yes. More power (in stock form), yes. Sexier car? Debatable. But i think the TL is sexier, not by much.

Given the info you provided, I would stay with the car that is overall in better condition, IMO. MPG could also pay a big contributing part. TL takes 91 octane recommended ( i dont have any pumps near me that has 91 so I get 93). With stop and go traffic, i get less than 20 mpg's every time. TSX can run on 87 IIRC and can get 25 mpg with stop and go easily
Old 11-29-2017, 03:13 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by theCoffeeFiend
Wow, you ended up buying both? haha lucky you. I was torn between both myself before i purchased my 06 TL MT. I test drove both pretty extensively. And i know a few friends that have TSX's. If both were in the exact same condition and mileage, it would really depend on the owner to decide which best suits them. But I can still chime in on a few pros/cons..
-The TSX has TONS of aftermarket support compared to the TL. Not saying the TL doesn't have aftermarket support, but the K-series motor has tons of upgrade options(and potential). . Also, the gas mileage =]
-The TL seems to be the better Luxury car. Interior seems to be better quality and quieter. Heavy, yes. More power (in stock form), yes. Sexier car? Debatable. But i think the TL is sexier, not by much.

Given the info you provided, I would stay with the car that is overall in better condition, IMO. MPG could also pay a big contributing part. TL takes 91 octane recommended ( i dont have any pumps near me that has 91 so I get 93). With stop and go traffic, i get less than 20 mpg's every time. TSX can run on 87 IIRC and can get 25 mpg with stop and go easily
haha, yah, within a few days apart from each other. first it was the 06 TL, then the 04 TSX popped up a few days later and I just had to get it.

when you mention the aftermarket support, i didn't even think about that. although i did think about how many used k24 engines were on the market, it made me think that if the motor would ever need replacing, it'd be much easier and cheaper than replacing one for the TL. plus if you think about it, how many TSX 6 speeds do you see out there compared to TL 6 speeds? thinking about this, i may actually lean toward keeping the TSX for long term cost savings and modification capability.

and yes, the TSX gas mileage is awesome. even in LA stop and go traffic, i manage 25+ like you say. once upon a time in my 04 TL 6 speed, i did manage to get 28-32 mpg fairly consistently, but mind you, this was in Portland, Oregon... where the roads are wide, long, and there is hardly any comparable traffic to LA.

what's funny is, i started buying a lot of car parts for the tl already. i bought used oem type s wheels, type s tails and side markers, visors, a front aspec lip... ahhhh... BUT, the car that is in slightly better condition is the TSX. only because it has a newer clutch (12k miles on it). otherwise, the TSX is black on black, and the TL is white on black. interior is 9/10 on both cars. i'll try to take pics sometime this week after i give them a good washing.
Old 11-29-2017, 06:23 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
I mean; they are two completely different cars!
which would you rather have? power via v6? or nimbleness via smaller car?
maybe even looks...I enjoy the TL design over the TSX.

since you have both; drive both and figure out which one you like better. then obvies, sell the other one.
Old 11-29-2017, 01:12 PM
Instructor

i agree, the TL does look nicer... but the TSX when all done right, it also looks nice. just not as muscular or intimidating as a TL though haha

i took the TSX for a spin last night and tossed it around. in stock form, the suspension is so much more firm and planted than the TL. it feels pretty nice and sportier in that sense. today, i'm driving the TL to see how i like it in stop and go traffic.
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (11-29-2017)
Old 11-29-2017, 01:15 PM

That's the correct way to go. Drive both til you find out which one you like more.
Keep us updated!!!
interested in seeing which one you picked!!
Old 11-29-2017, 01:55 PM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
Subscribed for the final solution.
Old 11-30-2017, 11:16 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,166 Likes on 877 Posts
Originally Posted by theCoffeeFiend

They both spec 91/93 octane...but they run fine on 87. In summer, the TSX might ping a little with 87, though.

87 in either will result in less MPG and power.

However....since 87 is much cheaper, its still advantageous, price wise.

Originally Posted by horseshoez
Subscribed for the final solution.
Lol...sounds ominous.
Old 12-01-2017, 06:25 AM

the TL will ping too.
Old 12-02-2017, 12:49 AM
Instructor

just a little peak at my lil collection lol. for now anyway... haha

not sure if i'm going to throw the type s aspec lip or base aspec lip on yet...
my line up. one of each
auto vs manual
non type s aspec on a type s?? hmmm.... decisions