Windshield chip...now cracking...help NoVA

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 08:09 PM
TSX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Windshield chip...now cracking...help NoVA

Hey peeps...

On my way to my friends place in Rockville I got hit by a rock and now it's cracking. It's on my passenger side bottom right underneath the wiper but now it has grown passed the wiper blade and still going.

I have Geico and need to know of a good place to take my car in NoVA. I thought about going to Radley Acura and let them outsource whoever to do it. Anyone else you guys would recommend? Geico said it shouldn't cost anything to repair just give them the repairer's information.

Thanks!
Old 07-03-2007, 10:12 PM
TSX

I'll take some pics tomorrow and post them up. The crack has gotten larger....

my poor baby!
Old 07-04-2007, 12:45 AM
TSX

well...if the chip wouldn't have grown, Geico would have taken care of it but I guess I will pay for it out of pocket now since I have a 500 deductible.

Anyway, any insight from you guys would be great.
Old 07-04-2007, 09:02 AM
4th Gear

The same thing happened to me a few months ago, but I got it repaired before it got too big. Geico has an arrangement with Safelite to do their glass repairs, so I just took it to Safelite in Sterling, VA. They did a good job-- the repair has held up, and my car passed inspection afterwards.
Old 07-04-2007, 10:49 AM
アキュラ 力

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^^ X 2 on Safelite, or you might want to check out Harmon Autoglass
Old 07-04-2007, 02:01 PM
TSX

Pics of the windshield

I know it's beyond patching up so I'm going to replace it. Should I go with what they offer or should I tell them to order the OEM Honda brand? For those of you that has had your windshields replaced, any noticeable differerences between OEM and their brands?

So far I have quotes of...

Safelite - $450 including installation and their front windshield
Harmon - 284.01 including installation and their front windshield (PPG brand they said, whatever that means)

Radley Acura - about ~$1300 for labor and parts

Old 07-04-2007, 04:20 PM
Let me help you!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I had the windshield replaced on one of my accords. I can't remember anymore, but I do remember noticing a few things. The replacement windshield had a very small nick on one of the edges, but I guess they did the thing to prevent the crack from growing. It sucks that they used my accord to get rid of that messed up windshield. Also, I think it looked obvious that the windshield was replaced...there was something about the trim around the windshield. Third, I think the curvature of the windshield was slightly different than the OEM one. It's been years, and I'm used to it now, so I can't really explain the last couple of points.

I think it's that last point that might make me consider going OEM next time. If they just use a generic windshield that's made to fit a variety of cars, it might be flatter or more curved than your OEM one.

I heard some insurance companies or states give a free replacement (since it's a safety issue), but maybe it's just free windshield repair.

And did you know that cops can pull you over and ticket you if your front windshield is cracked?
Old 07-05-2007, 09:25 AM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

"OEM" glass is BS, they all come from the same supplier, OEM glass just has the maker's logo on it. I had my winshield replaced twice, first was SafeLite replaced my winshield at my house, 2nd don't know who it was.

I had Geico and had to pay my comprehensive, so it was just $200, not the full deductible. My replacement winshield's were 100% perfect, just make sure to ask that the top will be tinted and it'll have that black border around the outside.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:12 AM
rb1
Suzuka Master

Rock impacts that product small "spider" cracks near the edge of the windshield will almost always always produce as large crack that "runs" across the windshield very quickly, usually as soon as you park the car in the sun. The expansion/contraction forces near the edge from the thermal action are much greater.

If you notice them early, then can be repaired and sometimes this will prevent the crack from running, sometimes not.

Spider-type impacts near the center may not cause problems and are easily repaired.
Old 07-05-2007, 11:19 AM
TSX

Originally Posted by xizor
"OEM" glass is BS, they all come from the same supplier, OEM glass just has the maker's logo on it. I had my winshield replaced twice, first was SafeLite replaced my winshield at my house, 2nd don't know who it was.

I had Geico and had to pay my comprehensive, so it was just $200, not the full deductible. My replacement winshield's were 100% perfect, just make sure to ask that the top will be tinted and it'll have that black border around the outside.

I'm having mine done by Patriot Auto Glass who is based out in Ashburn. They're coming to my condo to have it installed. The cost is 300 bucks.

They're using a "PPG" Windshield where he said it's almost an exact match.

Did you have any problems with leaks or wind noise?
Old 07-05-2007, 12:02 PM
Racer

i forget what it stands for but i remember from other windshield threads that PPG is the type of glass you want.