Why I loathe dealer service visits....

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 08:37 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why I loathe dealer service visits....

So I'm in the dealer for a oil B12 service.

Vehicle inspection with park brake adjust, oil change, tire rotation, and engine/cabin filter replacement, and oil change.....

I did the filters and tire rotation myself, but they obviously would charge for a vehicle inspection. (With a coupon in hand, I said, why not? Although all they probably do is just glance under the car and call it quits.... or maybe I'm being too negative...)

The last tire rotation I got at a dealer came with an added bonus of nasty gash around the wheel around the hubnut area.

Didn't bother complaining, they'll probably just say, "it was there before..."

What made it iffy was the vehicle test drive, where the tech takes the vehicle out for a drive to make sure the car isn't pulling, etc.....

Unfortunately, my car is a 6spd...

I'm almost 100% certain that the tech (couple young guys working in there) would do redline shifts.

I really hate visits to the dealer due to these issues. Whatever happened to "peace of mind?"

Fortunately, at this time, the only negative thing is the scratched wheel from dealer tire rotation. Hopefully it'll stay that way and not have my stuff jacked from the car like the other members have experienced.....

rant off...
Old 12-18-2008, 09:17 AM
Racer

What made it iffy was the vehicle test drive, where the tech takes the vehicle out for a drive to make sure the car isn't pulling, etc.....

Unfortunately, my car is a 6spd...

I'm almost 100% certain that the tech (couple young guys working in there) would do redline shifts.

I really hate visits to the dealer due to these issues. Whatever happened to "peace of mind?"

Fortunately, at this time, the only negative thing is the scratched wheel from dealer tire rotation. Hopefully it'll stay that way and not have my stuff jacked from the car like the other members have experienced.....

rant off...[/QUOTE]

Yikes! I have a 6MT too. I hope they don't redline my car too.
I hope it's not like the scene in Farris Bueller's Day Off when those guys drove the Ferrari out of the parking garage for a joy ride and floored that dang car to it's limits. heee
Old 12-18-2008, 10:02 AM
i-vtec soo good

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
^I have a 6MT too.

You never know what the techs do to your car. I mean, how can you? lol!
Always on good faith...it's better i dont know what they do b/c we are all pretty paranoid when it comes to our babies
Old 12-18-2008, 10:21 AM
gets all the crazy chicks

hah same here. do the valet keys limit rpm's? if so, I think I might start using those.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:55 AM
JDM Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CiViCKiDD
hah same here. do the valet keys limit rpm's? if so, I think I might start using those.
I think they are supposed to.
Valet key sounds like a good idea to me.
I don't care what any maintence schedule says, no tech,
under any circumstances will ever drive my car, period.
no tech will ever rotate my tires or even touch my rims, period.
I will never allow a dealer car wash, period.
I never trust the dealers... period.
lol.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:09 AM
East Coast Crew

It wouldn't be fair to the techs, if you assumed they were redlining your car. Just because they look like kids, doesn't mean they act like it.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:19 AM
Instructor

well the car came back with no problems. Nothing was jacked. I had a camera in the center console, and it was still there!!!

I'm just paranoid since I worked with a guy once who worked at a Ford dealership, and said some guys will take the car out for a test drive, (without customer consent) and redline the hell out of it, especially when a stickshift Mustang GT comes in....

Never let your guard down. bad things always happen when you're not paranoid or expecting it. Some reason, it just ends up that way....

Always check around your vehicle for any scratches or dents before you drive off of the dealer. I think the dealer rep was little offended since I was looking around my car before I drove it out.....
Old 12-18-2008, 11:25 AM
Racer

[QUOTE=MMsTSX;10298311]I think they are supposed to.
Valet key sounds like a good idea to me.

Someone should try to use a valet key and rev the engine.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:29 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
My good friend is the service manager where I take my tsx for service. I trust the work they do. I can not say the same thing for the acura dealer near me, where I take it to for the annual state inspection.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:51 PM
8th Gear

The last time I took my car to a dealer for work was before I totaled my Prelude SH...

Car was due for the timing belt change and I didn't have the tools to get the crank bolt off (it's a real bitch) so I took it in. Asked them 3 times if they were going to replace the hydraulic tensioner along with the belt during the work. They said yes as long as I paid for the tensioner. For those not familiar with 5th gen Preludes, the hydraulic tensioner was known to fail on the timing belt which would result in a pretty much destroyed engine. When I dropped the car off I asked the service person one last time if they would replace the tensioner and he said, "Yes".

So they call me the next day to tell me the car is ready. I asked if the tensioner was replaced. They told me the tech never replaced it because he said it didn't need it. They were turning down my money for a part! Had to talk to the service guy and he recalled the whole conversation about the tensioner so they had to do the entire job over again just to replace the tensioner. The timing belt job is around 5-6 hours so they had to do the job twice.

Suspiciously when they called me back they said one of the engine mounts needed a replacement so I'm guessing they cracked it just to try and make some money back from having to do another day of labor. Pieces of shit.

Other than the timing belt I did all of my own work on the car, and for good reason.
Old 12-19-2008, 01:46 AM
Mike D from Ohio

I said before on a different thread... I swear there were less quarters in my 'not an ashtray' hole after the last oil change but I can't be SURE because I didn't count them first. Now I take expensive stuff out before service.
Old 12-19-2008, 08:29 AM
where is my garage?!

since getting some mugen oil/radiator caps, i've thought about putting the stock ones back on before getting my car serviced. i don't want to leave them in there and open my hood one day to find that they were stolen.

this will probably be the last time. my 07 is now over 11K and i plan to just do the changes myself and switch over to synthetic.
Old 12-19-2008, 08:35 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
[QUOTE=miked8887;10301355]I said before on a different thread... I swear there were less quarters in my 'not an ashtray' hole after the last oil change but I can't be SURE because I didn't count them first. Now I take expensive stuff out before service.[/

Since you are not 100% sure, do not accuse. Not everyone is a thief.
Old 12-19-2008, 03:02 PM
Racer

There are some serious paranoid people in here concerning dealer service. I'm not saying the things people suggest don't happen, but I trust a dealer more than an independent (unless I've got a long standing rep with them). If you do the quick walk around and everything looks and sounds fine, I wouldn't be suspect of the 3 quarters that may have disappeared. Stealing 3 quarters at a time isn't really the most economical way of supplementing a grease monkey's paycheck! The truly crooked ones aren't going to bring your car back.
Old 12-19-2008, 04:14 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by fast1
There are some serious paranoid people in here concerning dealer service. I'm not saying the things people suggest don't happen, but I trust a dealer more than an independent (unless I've got a long standing rep with them). If you do the quick walk around and everything looks and sounds fine, I wouldn't be suspect of the 3 quarters that may have disappeared. Stealing 3 quarters at a time isn't really the most economical way of supplementing a grease monkey's paycheck! The truly crooked ones aren't going to bring your car back.
Grease monkey is not a great term to use. By the knowledge level of most on this forum it sounds like there are a lot of "grease monkeys" and other smart people out there reading this. Please don't bash a profession by being derogatory... it sounds like a dick statement. And I no I don't work in automotive world.
Old 12-19-2008, 04:24 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by carmagnut
Grease monkey is not a great term to use. By the knowledge level of most on this forum it sounds like there are a lot of "grease monkeys" and other smart people out there reading this. Please don't bash a profession by being derogatory... it sounds like a dick statement. And I no I don't work in automotive world.
So you can assume that every "automotive technician" (is that proper enough for you?) is a thief and 'red line test driver' but the term "grease monkey" offends you. I think you're reading too much into the word and not the intent. If said "technician" is a person that would be stealing 3 quarters from my car when it's in getting worked on... I reserve the right to use whatever word I want.... criminal, assh@le, dead MF... etc.
Old 12-19-2008, 06:58 PM
Mike D from Ohio

Originally Posted by nj2pa2nc
Originally Posted by miked8887
I said before on a different thread... I swear there were less quarters in my 'not an ashtray' hole after the last oil change but I can't be SURE because I didn't count them first. Now I take expensive stuff out before service.

Since you are not 100% sure, do not accuse. Not everyone is a thief.
I didn't accuse or say everyone is a thief.

Thats your own incorrect interpretation.

ALL i said was that my quarters seemed to have been diminished.

There's nothing wrong with being cautious by taking valuables out of the car. This safety measure does not mean you're calling they are thieves or red-liners. Sometimes you have to be conservative and act as if they are thieves just to safeguard yourself... even though they're likely not.

Last edited by miked8887; 12-19-2008 at 07:01 PM.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:57 PM
Advanced

Only time I redline a Acura, is after I just put a new engine into it. ESPECIALLY A RSX. There is no such thing as break in on an Acura as we are told by the factory. And as far as I know, if an engine has gone bad on a RSX.... I besta be sure it can hold up to 8K RPM while some teenager is out there beating the motor mounts out of it driving it. If it can survive 2 easy pulls to redline, its a done deal.

I drive manuals all my life, I get no pleasure from beating on someones car. Especially knowing what they can do when pushed to the limit.

But yes, some people loooove to joy ride and beat the shit out of other's cars. Not in my dealership to say the least
Old 01-09-2009, 02:57 PM
3rd Gear

I used to work in an industrial park that had a place that would do aftermarket sunroof, t-tops, etc installs for the local auto dealerships. Pretty much every Camaro, Mustang, Corvette, Supra, etc was beaten on after pick up. There would be a tire squealing burnout, followed by a red lining, as the young car jockey would pull out onto the main road.

These cars would have under 10 miles on them.