Wheel Locks on or off for wheel balancing

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 08:04 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wheel Locks on or off for wheel balancing

Hello Acura TSX friends:
I am approaching 7,500 miles on my tires so it's time to take the car to Pep Boys for a free rotation and balancing.
I have Gorilla Wheel locks.
http://www.gorilla-auto.com/gorilla-locks
I switched to the Gorilla from McGard because I found the McGard's get stripped from the pneumatic air wrench's that garages use and are then impossible to remove without the lug wrench slipping off when you get a flat. (I do have the Dorman 711-900 AutoGrade Lug Wrench, $20 at Amazon which I think should be in every trunk).
I have heard that the ACURA TSX wheels are a target for thieves. I live in NYC. Although my car is mostly garaged and rarely parked on the street, I like to keep the wheel locks installed.
My question is should I have the wheels balanced with the Gorilla wheel locks on or not?
I hate to leave them on because there is no way the shop will hand titghten the lug nuts and in the instructions for the wheel locks, they caution that they must be tightened by hand.
I don't mind putting the locks back on when I get the car back but my concern is whether the difference in weight between the wheel locks and factory lug nuts makes a difference in the balancing. If I have the wheels balanced with all factory lug nuts and then put the one wheel lock back on each wheel, is that a problem? Will I introduce a balance issue and possible shimmy?
I weighed them at the Post Office and supermarket and the difference in weight is .1 to .2 ounces.
Attached Thumbnails Wheel Locks on or off for wheel balancing-gorilla-honda.jpg  
Old 07-31-2017, 08:27 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
I do my rotations/balance at Discount tires. I also have the gorilla wheel locks along with OEM wheel locks (I need two keys to remove a tire). Discount Tires removes the wheel/rim to place on the balancing machine with a single center screw with a large locking wing nut. My lugs stay with the vehicle and the balance is performed without them. I guess I've haven't seen a wheel balance machine that factors in the weight of the vehicle lug nuts.

I do have a tq wrench and keep the extra lugs in the trunk of my vehicles. I would remove the Gorilla locks and replace with OEM lugs before taking the TSX to Pep Boys. I would then double-check the TQ for all the lugs and replace the OEM lug with the security lug at the same time. I had an issue with Discount tires over tightening my lugs and even broke a stud once in the process (they fixed for free). I had to use my 2 foot cheater bar sometimes to just loosen the lugs a few times. Discount Tires in my area started using TQ wrenches to do the lugs to proper specs because of all the complaints.
Old 07-31-2017, 09:51 AM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,236 Likes on 1,023 Posts
+1 for mrgold35