What do you hate most about your TSX?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 12:37 PM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by TSX Wisc Badger
... the TSX isn't that noisey where I'm bothered by it... however you won't catch me using the bluetooth when I'm going over 55mph in fear of getting frustrated by the person on the other end always saying "WHAT??? I CAN'T HEAR YOU!"
Can't ... say ... I've had this problem. More like uneven reception due to traveling from tower to tower (I suspect).
Originally Posted by wildjohn999
My TSX is the first car where I have actually seen the gas needle move. I am getting around 22C/30H MPG, which is semi-ok. However, if I really want to see the needle move all I have to do is floor it and watch as all my gas gets dumped trying to get over that steep second gear.
INTERESTING hobby you have there. Have fun with that.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:11 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you see the gas needle move when you floor it then look at the road, you might be about to hit something, how would you know? You might be seeing the fuel slosh around in the fuel tank and fooling the fuel gauge.

Speaking of fuel gauge, I hate the Low Fuel warning, it comes on way too fast and is waaaay too obnoxious. More and more I feel like cars are talking down to us. Between this and the seatbelt warnings I feel like the car doesn't give me much credit. I'm the one making the payments, don't give me shit if I don't want to buckle my seatbelt to drive across a parking lot.
Old 09-17-2007, 03:27 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by davidspalding
Can't ... say ... I've had this problem. More like uneven reception due to traveling from tower to tower (I suspect).
I think it has something to do with my iPhone actually... didn't have the problem with my old blackberry pearl.
Old 09-17-2007, 03:31 PM
Banned

The hands free link has no relation to the cell phone's reception or lack of.
Old 09-17-2007, 03:55 PM
Yes it is!

I don't notice a lot of noise from tires, road, wind etc, but I do notice a lot of environmental noise. Like if a semi or a jacked-up SUV pulls up beside you, it seems loader than in other cars. I usually have to turn my radio up.
Old 09-17-2007, 04:07 PM
Instructor

Things I don't like about TSX:

1. Drive-by-wire is horrible on the TSX
2. Wind noise
3. Not enough power
4. VSA kicks in too easily; LSD would be nice
Old 09-17-2007, 04:11 PM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I've had the seat squeak problem but never taken it in to get fixed yet.

Another thing that people have said in the past is they hate the oem wipers. There's actually a big thread about it. I've personally never had a problem with them though.
Old 09-17-2007, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by wackura
The hands free link has no relation to the cell phone's reception or lack of.
Exactly. The HFL should never lose audio connection to a phone in the car, a few feet away. I find the "shelf" in front of the clock is ideally suited for a Handstands Sticky Pad to put the phone on - no complaints since doing that. But driving down a highway at 55mph ... I've often in the past experienced PCS (digital cell phone) reception "in 'n out" in some locales. Blame your phone ... blame your carrier ... blame Britney ... but don't blame the TSX. Remember, your phone is still inside the fast-moving tin can. (Unless there's a repeater antenna in the roof that I don't know about...?)
Old 09-17-2007, 09:47 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Deity711
I don't notice a lot of noise from tires, road, wind etc, but I do notice a lot of environmental noise. Like if a semi or a jacked-up SUV pulls up beside you, it seems loader than in other cars. I usually have to turn my radio up.
Closing the moonroof's sunshade actually makes a big difference in the noise level inside. Shame, because I like to leave it open.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:58 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by matvey
Things I don't like about TSX:

1. Drive-by-wire is horrible on the TSX
2. Wind noise
3. Not enough power
4. VSA kicks in too easily; LSD would be nice

Just wondering...what exactly is wrong with the drive-by-wire? Mind you I haven't driven many cars in my lifetime (just the TSX and a '00 Accord). Is there a noticeable lag to you guys when accelerating or something? It doesn't bug me...

But the things that DO bug me:
1. Transmission (5AT) is not smooth...1-2 is jerky half the time even after a tranny oil change. Even worse when playing with the SportShift. It's perfectly smooth when I let go of the gas, but it takes too long and I'm paranoid people behind me will hit me as I pause accelerating.

2. Paint - yes it chips far too easily...forget the 3M clear bra now, I think I'll just spend money getting the hood repainted if it gets really bad. No turning back now that it's already pitted.

3. No one mentioned this yet, but the stupid remote transmitter has very limited range! And it's clunky/all scratched up! And don't tell me to do the switchblade mod cos it still sounds rather complicated/expensive.

4. Darn rearview mirror wouldn't stop shaking...and it creaks too in high heat...

Aside from that, I absolutely love my car...I get compliments on it often Styling is superb for a 4 seater...a bit of mods and looks pretty sleek like an Audi A4 (to me anyway).
Old 09-18-2007, 01:36 AM
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
minor, irrational things (long)

1. Fan speed switches external to the NAVI system. It would be nice to change fan speed without going into the NAVI menu. (And I always forget I can do it by voice.)

2. The design of the speedometer. I wish the average highway speed (65-75 mph) was up higher, like in the 11:00 to 12:00 position. And when I am in a school zone of 25 mph and want to check my speed, I have to drop my eyes way down into the dash cowl. It would be better if 0 mph started at the 8:00 mark. When I get in the TSX from my other Hondas, it takes me a few seconds to re-orient my sight angle.

3. Someone mentioned this before, but if you want to turn on your headlights in the daytime (required by law in CA if using your windshield wipers), the dash and NAVI display become VERY HARD to read. The software should be smart enough to know you are using the headlights during the day like DRLs, and not auto dim the dash.

4. I actually like the sunroof control on the left of the dash. Reminds me and my passengers THAT I AM IN CHARGE. This driver-oriented control layout is what Honda calls its "Grammar of Design" -- or use to as it slowly succumbs to complaints to relocate it to the headliner in other models.

5. AND THE BIGGEST COMPLAINT, BECAUSE I AM TOO DUMB TO FIGURE IT OUT. What are the two switchblanks on the left side of the dash for? Foglight switch? Nope? Alarm? Maybe? Vestige of the non-U.S. Accord that Acura couldn't be bothered covering up? I wish Acura would use that space for something useful, like a coin/card tray.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:36 AM
Burning Brakes

"cheap" brand image
Old 09-18-2007, 03:10 AM
Let me help you!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by kixo
5. AND THE BIGGEST COMPLAINT, BECAUSE I AM TOO DUMB TO FIGURE IT OUT. What are the two switchblanks on the left side of the dash for? Foglight switch? Nope? Alarm? Maybe? Vestige of the non-U.S. Accord that Acura couldn't be bothered covering up? I wish Acura would use that space for something useful, like a coin/card tray.
It's for the owner...in case he/she wants to add something to the car ;-) Like the paramedic guy...he installed the switch to turn on his light bar there.
Old 09-18-2007, 06:00 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,394 Likes on 699 Posts
Lightbulb Horn

After taking a quick glance @ this extensive list I do no think anyone has mentioned the overly senstive horn yet. I have acidentally made that thing go off more times than I can count.

Not sure if it is the design or should call it just plain cheap but I had to get the center console tray fixed like 3 times to open/close properly.

These are pretty trivial things & altho the TSX is not perfect, I think it is an excellent car for the price.
Old 09-18-2007, 06:13 AM
Time to Climb

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
i hate the fact that the speaker on the right side of my rear deck keep popping. it's been replaced 3 times already, but i'm out of warranty now for a 4th. i got big plans for my ride, but sound system has to take a back seat
Old 09-18-2007, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by enzojr
... 3. No one mentioned this yet, but the stupid remote transmitter has very limited range! And it's clunky/all scratched up! And don't tell me to do the switchblade mod cos it still sounds rather complicated/expensive.
The keyless entry fob? Mine (both) reach a long way, doubt that the CPO process replaced batteries (I could be wrong ). Tried new batteries? ... Silly trick that works: touch the fob under your chin and press the button. Another silly-looking trick: hold it above your head and press. I've gotten a response from 100' or so, through glass.
4. Darn rearview mirror wouldn't stop shaking...and it creaks too in high heat...
Not a problem with mine (2006) and I drove it in 100°+ heat the past two months. Repair needed...?
Originally Posted by kixo
... And when I am in a school zone of 25 mph and want to check my speed, I have to drop my eyes way down into the dash cowl.
Concur about the speedo. I've been cited (!) even, because the "legal limit" point is very different from my antique vehicle. Got 5AT? Try D3. I like that it simply limits shifting to gears 1-3, so that on campus (state univ. business park), I can comfortably drive that slow as I can in 3rd in my '87 Wrangler.
Someone mentioned this before, but if you want to turn on your headlights in the daytime (required by law in CA if using your windshield wipers), the dash and NAVI display become VERY HARD to read. The software should be smart enough to know you are using the headlights during the day like DRLs, and not auto dim the dash.
Req'd here, too, i.e. must use headlights in inclement weather, e.g. rain. You'd think they could use that "sunlight" sensor on the forward dash to auto-set the dash to full on. I'm just glad the dash reostat has a 'daytime' setting with the lights on at all. I've been in cars that didn't, and you had to live with darkened control lights. Bah humbug.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:26 AM
Pink Domo

Originally Posted by subdued
I muchly dislike the very wide turning radius.
This is probably the thing that bugs me the most. It really sucks in SF when you're trying to flip a U-turn and you can't make it.

The placement of the moonroof controls annoys me but I just find myself not using the roof very much.

The paint chips.

The road noise bugs me a bit but I haven't replaced the original tires yet so I'm really hoping it's that.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:36 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by n3ok318
"cheap" brand image
I don't really think Acura has a "cheap" brand image anymore. Take a look at all the TLs and MDXs on the road now. They have been really one of the few car brands that has been able to revamp its image.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:55 AM
Advanced

loving the Hallow DRIVERS SIDE DOOR.
Old 09-18-2007, 11:03 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by enzojr
Just wondering...what exactly is wrong with the drive-by-wire? Mind you I haven't driven many cars in my lifetime (just the TSX and a '00 Accord). Is there a noticeable lag to you guys when accelerating or something? It doesn't bug me...
There are numerous threads here on DBW; but in summary, the thing that bugs me about it the most is when I let off of gas and then press it again, there is a slight lag which then results in a jerk. This makes this "luxury" car pretty hard to drive smooth (talking about MT here).

MBA
Old 09-18-2007, 06:10 PM
Intermediate

I don't understand why I can't burn a CD full of MP3's and have it play in the factory CD player.
I know you can get the MP3 attachment but then you lose the storage bin.
Even in 07 they still don't have the CD player support MP3's?
Am I wrong?
Old 09-18-2007, 06:25 PM
Banned

There should be a FAQ item cataloging these redundant observations.
Old 09-18-2007, 06:35 PM
E92

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts
Turning radius is MUCH better than my old Mazda 6 though, I never thought it was a problem
Old 09-18-2007, 10:38 PM

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Hollow doors. Multi-button moonroof controls. No auto-close moonroof. Dash illumination adjustment knob. Fog lights crack easy, expensive to replace. Driver's doesn't please all the people all the time. AUX input requires louder volume than radio. And on, and on, and....
Originally Posted by wackura
There should be a FAQ item cataloging these redundant observations.
I thought there was ... the What do you hate most about your %*#@(&*~ mother #(@*%)% TSX thread. Maybe we should rename it the "New members: check in and b*tch and moan here" thread. (jk)
Old 09-18-2007, 10:48 PM

VOL CCN: Driver's/Driver's seat doesn't....
Old 09-21-2007, 11:47 PM
nzk
Advanced

the center console lid, when u only want the top to open, they both open, the plastic edges are not snug. wonder if its just mine.
Old 09-21-2007, 11:54 PM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by spoonfed
I don't understand why I can't burn a CD full of MP3's and have it play in the factory CD player.
I know you can get the MP3 attachment but then you lose the storage bin.
Even in 07 they still don't have the CD player support MP3's?
Am I wrong?
2008 TSX brochure says the CD player support MP3 discs.
Old 09-22-2007, 06:00 AM
boost = TSX's best friend

DBW!!!
Old 09-22-2007, 06:52 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ninjamyst
2008 TSX brochure says the CD player support MP3 discs.
It may say that but can someone with an 08 confirm that it does support MP3's?
As well, is that with or without Nav?
Old 09-22-2007, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by nzk
the center console lid, when u only want the top to open, they both open, the plastic edges are not snug. wonder if its just mine.
Yes, it's yours. There are two latches for the console. The one that only lifts the armrest without the tray may be sticky. See this section of the manual (page 3).
Old 09-22-2007, 11:35 AM
Instructor

Only thing that's really bugging me (and not just something to get used to) is locking the car... With our WRX, as you're both getting out of the car, you can hit the remote's lock button (and put the keys away) and it'll do a partial chirp, and when all doors are finally closed, it does it's full chirp and the alarm is activated. TSX is throwing off all my strategies to not lose my keys when I have to keep them out until every door is shut! I dunno-- maybe the alarm will engage if I just hit the lock on the door when getting out? I should look into that as it's only a matter of time before I leave the keys in the back seat or something...

Regarding the U-turns. It's a bit wider than my old car, but if you punch it at that certain point, you can get it to cut a lot tighter. I've been formally warned by my guy that I have to give him notice about that now as it took his stomach a few minutes to recover the last time I did it

Oh-- more of an annoyance at the choice of symbols. What's up with the catastrophic symbol () for the stinkin' VSA being off? I accidentally hit the button getting in once (after only having the car a couple weeks) and pulled over freaked out thinking the car was going to blow up or something... (luckily it was in the manual)
Old 09-22-2007, 01:36 PM
Undercover Slacker

i said this in the other thread awhile back, but i dislike how the tsx doesn't have rear air vents! it was the first thing my ex-gf's mom pointed out sitting in this "luxury" car.

also, if a passenger gets out and lets go of the seatbeat "wrong," it knocks against the side, is there a tsb for this?
Old 09-22-2007, 02:18 PM
hates the winter

My father has an 05 and we like it besides a few little things.

-Needs more power
-No memory seat for 05
-No air vents in the rear
Old 09-23-2007, 08:06 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by nzk
I don't think it's just yours. Mine does this as well. Also, most every TSX that I have had for a loaner did it. The lock and release mechanism is pretty cheap.
Old 09-23-2007, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by DemonPoofball
Only thing that's really bugging me (and not just something to get used to) is locking the car... With our WRX, as you're both getting out of the car, you can hit the remote's lock button (and put the keys away) and it'll do a partial chirp, and when all doors are finally closed, it does it's full chirp and the alarm is activated. TSX is throwing off all my strategies to not lose my keys when I have to keep them out until every door is shut! I dunno-- maybe the alarm will engage if I just hit the lock on the door when getting out? I should look into that as it's only a matter of time before I leave the keys in the back seat or something...
Yep. From p. 203 of my manual, "The security system automatically sets 15 seconds (depending on the‘‘SECURITY RELOCK TIMER’’setting) after you lock the doors, hood, and trunk. For the system activate, you must lock the doors from the outside with the key, lock tab, door lock switch, or remote transmitter. The security system indicator in the instrument panel starts blinking immediately to show you the system is setting itself."

Driver's door interior lock tab locks all the doors on my 2006, as does the master door lock switch on either front door. Clearly, don't drop the keys in the cup holder or tray if your front passenger likes to lock all the doors. Of course, if you're really worried about it, carry the valet key in your pocket,... or put the remote transmitter on a different key chain then your ignition key. My solution is that I either use the remote transmitter, or I ENSURE I have the key in my pocket.

Originally Posted by johns
I don't think it's just yours. Mine does this as well. Also, most every TSX that I have had for a loaner did it. The lock and release mechanism is pretty cheap.
Has anyone tried to smooth/sand down the release tab? (makes note to go look at his)
Old 09-23-2007, 09:28 AM
BOSTON TSX

5AT, paint job
Old 09-23-2007, 10:03 AM
nzk
Advanced

Originally Posted by davidspalding
Yes, it's yours. There are two latches for the console. The one that only lifts the armrest without the tray may be sticky. See this section of the manual (page 3).
thats what i meant, when u only grab the left latch to open the smaller upper compartment, the bottom one lifts up with it, it doesnt stay down like it should. the plastic latch is not snug.
is there a fix for this?
Old 09-23-2007, 09:29 PM
TSX MFG Date Sep 2006

After driving this vehicle for about 15,000+ miles now and 10 months & counting, all I have to gripe about is the fact that it doesn't auto lock and that it has no daytime running lights (coming from Canada), this feels weird that I have to constantly remember to turn on the lights if the weather gets grey during the daytime.
Old 09-23-2007, 09:33 PM
Registered Car Nut

Originally Posted by JDMCL9T
DBW!!!
^ ^ ^ ^
+1
Old 09-23-2007, 09:51 PM
Registered Car Nut

Sorry if some already appear in this thread:

* No auto door locks.
* when doors are locked, pulling the driver's side door handle results in nothing (most cars will mechanically unlock the door and open)
* Shitty OEM tires: too much road noise, low grip, chirp all the time for nothing.
* no rear air vents
* memory seats don't link to mirrors
* ultra-conservative fuel gauge/MID... indicates 'no fuel - 0 range' with 10 litres (2.7 gal.) left in tank.
* lack/inadequate rain channels resulting in water getting into the car when you open the door.
* High RPM while cruising at highway speeds (3K+ at 70 mph)
* turn radius is way big for a car this size (my Pathfinder has a tighter turn radius)
* non-premium stereo speakers
* warning sounds when lights are on, despite auto-off feature.
* Low paint quality; chips too easily.

Yet, I love this car! all it takes is a nice winding road with no traffic, and all those little annoyances just go away!

Quick Reply: What do you hate most about your TSX?