What do you guys think about a RHD conversion?

Old 12-01-2007, 12:01 PM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,645 Likes on 2,486 Posts
Originally Posted by daicacharco
still asking are you really only 17.
Old 12-01-2007, 01:11 PM
ridiculously good looking

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
id rather use the Honda Inspire interior, so it still resembles a TSX interior...but that's just me:

Old 12-01-2007, 02:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 99whitetl
It seems like you already made your mind up about what you are going to do. So why did you waste time asking people if you already knew you wanted to do it.
Old 12-01-2007, 02:27 PM
Fella

ok i'll believe this conversion when i see it...... btw... since you said you've done a lot of conversions.... can you tell me how you're gonna put in the rhd firewall?
Old 12-01-2007, 02:32 PM
Fella

and oh yeah... some of the stuff you listed aren't necessary... and you are missing some stuff....
Old 12-01-2007, 02:34 PM
is glad to be back!

interesting
Old 12-01-2007, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by CL9er
ok i'll believe this conversion when i see it...... btw... since you said you've done a lot of conversions.... can you tell me how you're gonna put in the rhd firewall?
I haven't done a RHD conversion but the process to do it is you cut out the LHD fire wall right along the weld and do the same to the RHD front clip you buy and then weld the RHD firewall into the LHD frame. Thus you dont hurt the structural integrity of the frame.
Old 12-01-2007, 02:53 PM
Fella

Originally Posted by CCColtsicehockey
I haven't done a RHD conversion but the process to do it is you cut out the LHD fire wall right along the weld and do the same to the RHD front clip you buy and then weld the RHD firewall into the LHD frame. Thus you dont hurt the structural integrity of the frame.
you don't have to replace the whole firewall though... cutting out the original firewall is a bad idea.... all you have to do is cut out the holes you need and patch up the other holes....
Old 12-01-2007, 03:02 PM
Glacier Frost Mica CL-S

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
go for it and post pix right away, good luck
Old 12-01-2007, 03:05 PM

you don't have to replace the whole firewall though... cutting out the original firewall is a bad idea.... all you have to do is cut out the holes you need and patch up the other holes....
if you want to have all the whole in the firewall for the steering wheel, clutch, and all the wiring and you want them in the oem locations in nice clean holes then your need to swap firewalls. I have seen two local RHD conversions done this way with great success and no side effects to cutting it out. I am sure there are other ways to do it though as there is with many things.
Old 12-01-2007, 03:31 PM
Fella

there is bad side effect to cutting out the whole firewall... think of what would happen in a severe front end collision....
Old 12-01-2007, 03:39 PM
Advanced

Personally, not something i would do, but i think it would be cool if you go through with it.

Better to cut out the old firewall and put the rhd one in. Much easier and faster than trying to line up and make new holes in the regular firewall. And if you have a skilled welder, there shouldn't really be a reason why the full rhd firewall is worse (although you won't have the nice machine welds).
Old 12-01-2007, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by TSXinHI
Personally, not something i would do, but i think it would be cool if you go through with it.

Better to cut out the old firewall and put the rhd one in. Much easier and faster than trying to line up and make new holes in the regular firewall. And if you have a skilled welder, there shouldn't really be a reason why the full rhd firewall is worse (although you won't have the nice machine welds).
exactly
Old 12-01-2007, 03:46 PM
Fella

i know a few tig welders with nice beads.... almost machine like... i'm still iffy about cutting out the original firewall.. its a big no no in my case...
Old 12-01-2007, 03:58 PM

i know a few tig welders with nice beads.... almost machine like... i'm still iffy about cutting out the original firewall.. its a big no no in my case...
ok then dont do it. but I am pretty sure if you would poll the people who have actually done through with doing a RHD conversion and see who just cut new holes in and who put in the RHD firewall I would almost guarentee it would be 90% or more that put in the new firewall. I mean think about it. have you ever looked at the panels of metal in a car. they are steamped to let specific parts line up to them and bolt on. how would you bolt anything on properly with out all the right contours to the panel and pre-made holes.
Old 12-01-2007, 04:12 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by CCColtsicehockey
ok then dont do it. but I am pretty sure if you would poll the people who have actually done through with doing a RHD conversion and see who just cut new holes in and who put in the RHD firewall I would almost guarentee it would be 90% or more that put in the new firewall. I mean think about it. have you ever looked at the panels of metal in a car. they are steamped to let specific parts line up to them and bolt on. how would you bolt anything on properly with out all the right contours to the panel and pre-made holes.

Your correct. MOST people usually replace their firewall with the jdm one. I'm sorry that I'm missing a few parts on the list. Welding and wiring work will be done PROFESSIONALLY. Not only by me but with the help of my friends from Sinful Performance down here in San Diego. Will be making a new thread with all the photos when its completed and or if i don't bail out on the project due to the fact that I'm waiting for the parts to come in.
Old 12-01-2007, 04:24 PM
E92

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts
You ordered parts already?
Old 12-01-2007, 04:44 PM
Advanced

I haven't bothered to ever look, but if the TSX is like pretty much every other car out there, you don't actually cut the firewall. You do know that firewalls are held on by a sh*tload of spot welds right? I'd say there are about 30ish spot welds, which you just drill out with a small drill bit. After drilling out the spot welds, the firewall should be free to move or very very loose. So maybe you should be more worried about your stock/oem firewall being held on by spot welds every 5-6 inches apart, because that's what you have. If anything, converting to rhd, you have the option of reinforcing your firewall more than stock specs if you choose to.
Old 12-01-2007, 08:59 PM
Burning Brakes

i wonder how much more expensive it would be to sell your car and import a RHD accord...
Old 12-01-2007, 11:10 PM
Fella

I haven't bothered to ever look, but if the TSX is like pretty much every other car out there, you don't actually cut the firewall. You do know that firewalls are held on by a sh*tload of spot welds right? I'd say there are about 30ish spot welds, which you just drill out with a small drill bit. After drilling out the spot welds, the firewall should be free to move or very very loose. So maybe you should be more worried about your stock/oem firewall being held on by spot welds every 5-6 inches apart, because that's what you have. If anything, converting to rhd, you have the option of reinforcing your firewall more than stock specs if you choose to.
the sheet panels on the tsx are all spot welded.... only the chassis itself is not spot welded.. i don't know about the firewall though... but still i wouldn't take out the firewall to do a rhd conversion.... i know that in new zealand they use a template to cut holes in the firewall to convert lhd mustangs to rhd... i like rhd cars and all... but i'd rather import a rhd euro r....
Old 12-01-2007, 11:24 PM
Fella

Originally Posted by ruffellprefley
i wonder how much more expensive it would be to sell your car and import a RHD accord...
pre 05 accords go less than 20K
Old 12-02-2007, 07:10 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
You seem so intent on doing it anyway and you know more about RHD conversions than any of us (afaik) so why would you even bother starting a thread about it? Not hating, just saying that if you wanted to do a teaser thread then this is not the best way to do it, unless you like people asking you silly questions about it and flat-out turning down their advice.

This isn't team-integra.net (by that I mean demographically, its a GREAT forum) so most here will disagree with a RHD conversion, including me. When I had an Integra I wanted to get a JDM front so badly, even if most people thought my car would look like an Accord. But a RHD conversion... I know people go great lengths for personal preference, but seriously, I think its a huge waste of time and resources, not to mention the hassling from cops as previously mentioned. I wouldn't even do it if a professional shop that does RHD conversions for TSXs daily offered to do it for me for no cost.

Also I'd like to add that I wanted a JDM front becauase I thought it looked much better than the USDM front. I think people who buy JDM parts just because its JDM are ridiculous... stupid things like a "JDM clock delete" which you pay $20 for that takes away the functionality of a car. Why?

And thats what I think about a RHD conversion. That said.... post pics if you do it.
Old 12-02-2007, 05:59 PM
Possessed with my Schemes

To me this would have to be one of the most pointless mods I have heard of. Besides the time and money, it actually makes the car less practical than it was before the mod. Why would one think it looks any better just because its the opposite of what its supposed to be? It's your money, but I just don't get it.

Perhaps instead of a RHD conversion you should attempt a RWD conversion. That might be pretty sweet.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:02 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
RWD >>>>> RHD

Since the CL8 is AWD, that might be another option...
Old 12-02-2007, 08:41 PM
Instructor

other than the fact that rwd would be nearly impossible, if not impossible completely...i think that'd be really cool. But about the rhd, you feel more comfortable driving rhd? how so? Unless you've lived in a country where it's rhd, but even then, you're 17 (i think...?) so you probably didnt have that much experience with driving there anyways. I'm with everyone else, waste of money, but interesting nevertheless. Goodluck and take pics.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:49 PM
6MT G37

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Im with everyone...Why bother? But it is your money and not our money. It is your time and your personal preference so I guess Good Luck man. Have fun...
Old 12-03-2007, 12:09 AM
Drives With Hands

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by I Go To Costco
Also I'd like to add that I wanted a JDM front becauase I thought it looked much better than the USDM front. I think people who buy JDM parts just because its JDM are ridiculous... stupid things like a "JDM clock delete" which you pay $20 for that takes away the functionality of a car. Why?
cuz it be mad tyte brah
Old 12-03-2007, 10:55 AM
E92

Originally Posted by Dan Martin
RWD >>>>> RHD

Since the CL8 is AWD, that might be another option...
Meh. Too much power lost and too much weight added to make awd worth it for this car
Old 12-04-2007, 07:20 PM

daicacharco, creating a thread about this didnt help you figure out what I am doing at all. brilliant, not treally.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:00 PM
B A N N E D

is it just me or the does op come off as an asshole..
Old 12-04-2007, 08:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by hyunk24a2
is it just me or the does op come off as an asshole..
i don't disagree. he says this:

Originally Posted by daicacharco
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO PUT IN YOUR THOUGHTS OR SUGGESTIONS!!
and then comes back and defends against anything anyone says negative about his project.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:08 PM
Cruisin'

The absolute dumbest idea I've heard in a while.

Might as well figure out how to rip out the seat heaters and put them in the ceiling, or reverse the speedometer so that 0 is on the right side. If you're just desperate to have a "different" car, no matter the practicality, might as well pick something that would cost less!!

Move to England if you really like RHD.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:30 PM
Burning Brakes

maybe they are trying to make an amphibian car
so that they can drive back and forth from UK and US without getting 2 cars
Old 12-04-2007, 09:50 PM
Finding my TL-S

Is it just me, or does the verbal raping of the OP get harsher as the thread gets larger? hah
Old 12-05-2007, 12:24 AM
E92

Originally Posted by BackToStock
Is it just me, or does the verbal raping of the OP get harsher as the thread gets larger? hah
Yeah, nothing wrong with disagreeing, but do it respectfully so you dont make AZ look like a bunch of assholes
Old 12-05-2007, 06:09 AM
Time to Climb

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
i say go for it
Old 12-05-2007, 08:55 AM
Rebourne

This teaser thread is just as bad as Colts last one
Old 12-15-2007, 07:01 PM
Cruisin'

You would also have to change the windshield wiper direction to make this authentic.
Old 12-16-2007, 01:21 AM
Banned

The observation about making tolls hard to pay, parking garage tickets hard to deal with, fast food drive-thru transactions awkward and cumbersome is the deal breaker. That's represents a lower quality of life. Why not hit your toes with a hammer? The fact that it makes the car worth $0 instantly is a close second, and needless harrasment by law enforcement a close third.

The OP must be 17 because of the pure instanity of it all, and the idea that RHD is a valid personal preference and not a psychotic one.

If I was realy cookoo and wanted a RHD despite it all I think it would be awesome to import an overseas Accord Type S because then not only do you have RHD but every atom in the car would be JDM with the Honda logos throughout. That would be something fun to see on the road.
Old 12-16-2007, 01:31 AM

Just do it already. But, don't forget you can never use a drive through again, ever!

But you'll have an easier time pickin' up chics at a stoplight.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What do you guys think about a RHD conversion?