VSA Light on while driving then gauge cluster turned off

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2016, 10:24 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VSA Light on while driving then gauge cluster turned off

I have a 06 TSX 6mt w/133k miles. I was driving on the highway this evening and everything was normal when I started driving. As I pulled onto the highway the VSA light came on then the ABS light came on and then the gauge cluster shut off for about 30 seconds and turned back on. The engine was still running and I still had control of the car like normal. I got off on the first exit and headed home. I made sure to glance at the engine temp gauge a few times and it was reading normal. Arrived home about 10 min later, parked the car in the garage and noticed when I got out a burnt smell (maybe a breaks smell). After I came inside and googled the issue for a while I went back to try and start the car and plug my code reader in. Now the car won't start, I hear the click of the starter but nothing else. The battery is only a few months old but I took it to be tested and it tested fine (alternator is 1 year old). I tried to jump it and it still didn't start. Anyone have this issue? Anyone have any ideas on what in the world is going on?
Old 10-08-2016, 07:28 PM
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Your symptoms are a little different than mine were, but I think the burning smell is coming from your alternator. When the alternator goes, the dashboard does all kinds of weird things and the next startup symptom is a dead battery. However, I was able to jump start mine, so maybe something else is failing. Best of luck.
Old 10-09-2016, 06:10 PM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Alternator may be the issue. Similar thing happened to me: my instrument panel went crazy (all warnings - VSA, ABS, etc. - turned on and then off and then the speedo went to zero). Luckily I was driving by my mechanic's shop. I stopped and turned car off. He tried to jump it but starter wouldn't turn. Alternator was replaced and all back to normal.