Volunteer Firefighter w/TSX.

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 07:23 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Volunteer Firefighter w/TSX.

This may sound off topic, but I saw a TSX with those stick on LED strobes in the front dash parked at the state park. The TSX was 06-07 with no exterior mods, besides the discreet dash light on the front. I inquired the driver about it, and he said he was a volunteer firefighter.

He was about to leave, so I just walked back to my car, although I wanted to ask a few questions....

What the hell is a "volunteer firefighter?" Can someone explain this? I've heard of them, but how does that work? Are they retired firefighters???? I assume you can't bring home the bacon if you're a "volunteer" firefighter, so if you don't get paid, why are you risking your life? It seems silly as a "volunteer police officer." You're getting shot at and risking your life and you don't get paid. I hope this isn't too naive of a question.

I know there is an EMS guy with a TSX on this board, but that seems to make some sense as you're not getting shot at or going into dangerous situations.
Old 12-16-2007, 08:23 PM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
A volunteer firefighter is just that. Those of us that live in an area served by a full time (paid) fire department probably don't realize that over 70% of the USA is served by volunteer fire departments. That also includes rescue and EMS units for many if not most. Volunteers "do it" for a variety of reasons I assume. Why does anyone volunteer for anything? Aside from a certain thrill that may be involved, many may find the social aspect appealing. I'm a captain on a paid department (29 years) and although it's unlikely I'd do it for nothing, I do appreciate those that serve their community and their fellow citizens by standing up and getting involved. I'd be surprised if we don't have a few contributing to this forum, and hopefully they can shed more light on the attraction.
Old 12-16-2007, 09:32 PM
B A N N E D

free beer at the local pubs... thats why I'd do it
Old 12-16-2007, 09:39 PM
5th Gear

Talking

I’m 27 and a volunteer fireman in my town, I do it because I feel lucky for everything I got and I thought this was the best way for me to give back and help those in need. It gives me a sense of accomplishment and satisfaction doing things where I don’t expect something in return. I graduated from Rutgers and I am a civil engineer with an off the hook 2006 tsx. Also to tell you the truth I've also seen a lot of movies with super heroes. Maybe you should try to help someone instead of criticizing others because helping is addicting.
Old 12-16-2007, 09:46 PM
5th Gear

By the way I dont drink- and just remember the ones you are criticizing are the ones who give up countless hours to train and learn how to-- cut someone out of that badly damaged vehicle or rescue someone who fell through the ice or even god forbid rescue someone from a fire
Old 12-16-2007, 10:39 PM
B A N N E D

who the hell criticized anyone?

are we reading the same posts?

edit: fuck... i never read the 1st post.

ok he was criticizing
Old 12-17-2007, 12:36 AM
6MT or Death

Originally Posted by Daffunda
This may sound off topic, but ...
Definitely, without a doubt, off topic. Please post in the off topic section. Might I suggest Ramblings.
Old 12-17-2007, 02:29 AM
East Coast Crew

Cmon guys...firefighters are hot and sexy these days...it's the new thing.
Old 12-17-2007, 07:57 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
I knew a volunteer fire fighter in high school. He was really into it. I think it was the excitement. But a lot of areas do only have volunteers. I'm glad they serve.
Old 12-17-2007, 08:11 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Daffunda, how about you think like this....

Volunteer to run into a burning building, go on runs by idiots who thing the fire department have something to do with their electricity, or better yet, some pimp'd out ho who's throwing up and needs medical attention and then answer your own question about "getting paid". If it weren't for the guys posting up about their selfless sacrifice being a volunteer or paid firefighter, I would have deleted this thread. I think you have your answer, so I'm 'ing.